NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A buffalo’s first bowtie

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 34567 22>
Author
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2007 at 11:02pm
Originally posted by 87BFN owner 87BFN owner wrote:

I checked it out but it did not say anything about the roller set up. Did he give you addition part numbers for the roller lifters with tie bar set up?

Sorry 87...good point, that is the cam # and I just asked him how much the conversion would cost. Now that I know a few things, I can try to work on price. I doubt it'll change much though.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2007 at 11:06pm
If you talk to them again please get a part number for the conversion kit if you can. I am not sure when I am going to get a chance to call around and ask. I have always liked crane cams. By the way one more thing to think about, will you have room under the stock valve covers for roller rockers?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2007 at 8:34am
Originally posted by 87BFN owner 87BFN owner wrote:

will you have room under the stock valve covers for roller rockers?

I'm not sure yet. It actually rained here yesterday, so I'm taking the block in today. Once I know a few more things I'll call crane back and get all of the details. Right now I have my fingers crossed that the block and heads are usable!
1988 BFN-sold

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2007 at 10:27am
Originally posted by nuttyskier2002 nuttyskier2002 wrote:

Eric, is PCM the only marinizer company that manufactured RH rotation engines on a production scale? I'm talking other than Chris Craft of course.

Almost every marinizer of engines made RH's. One of the only exceptions that I can think of is the V6 Buick that Universal made. The practice started in the late 50's when early V8's were mounted flywheel forward just like the earlier in-lines. Problems with cranks breaking started to pop up because the flywheel forwards were pulling all the power out of the weaker PTO end. So they turned the engines around but since the prop manufacturers were all tooled up for RH, it was easier to create a RH engine!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2007 at 10:31am
merc and crusader are 2 more, Jim you could go to a 1.23 and reverse everything if you wanted to go that route, your wheels are turning,
"the things you own will start to own you"
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2007 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Eric, is PCM the only marinizer company that manufactured RH rotation engines on a production scale? I'm talking other than Chris Craft of course.

Almost every marinizer of engines made RH's. One of the only exceptions that I can think of is the V6 Buick that Universal made. The practice started in the late 50's when early V8's were mounted flywheel forward just like the earlier in-lines. Problems with cranks breaking started to pop up because the flywheel forwards were pulling all the power out of the weaker PTO end. So they turned the engines around but since the prop manufacturers were all tooled up for RH, it was easier to create a RH engine!

That is more believable than to offset the balance, although that may have been a good unintended consequence.
nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2007 at 3:44pm
I will say this (concerning boat torquing to the right).....my last boat was an 88 Ski Centurion. Yeah, I know. There I go again talking about something other than a CC. It was a narrow hull boat and with only me in it (or if the weight was not distributed right) it leaned considerably to the right when underway. It was an Indmar motor and to my knowledge they never produced any RH rotation plants.
95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2007 at 4:05pm
It probably tilted to the right so much because Indmars are known for their massive amount of torque.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2007 at 4:10pm
so why does cc spin thier props starboard
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2007 at 4:20pm
Guys, the block is cracked. I guess I should feel fortunate to have gotten a few seasons out of it...but I don't.
Looks like I'll be shopping for a block or a long block or something?!!?
1988 BFN-sold

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2007 at 5:09pm
Sorry to here. But since you need a new block, might a well go with a newer one that is cast to fit the production roller cam setup. If you do that I'd go with the standard rotation as well.

Former boats:
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2007 at 5:15pm
I need some pointers again...Yall don't shoot me. I found 1 place that has some used 454's for $850. I found a few others online a little cheaper. Can I use any block or are there certain ones I need to look for...how about a 454 series that was roller from the factory?

I think I follow where 87 was going with the pcm tranny, but I have a brand new one!

1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2007 at 5:20pm

since you need a new block, might a well go with a newer one that is cast to fit the production roller cam setup.

Nutty, I was typing when you were. Do you have a casting #'s book for chevy? I'd consider standard rotation, but Eric just built my 10-18 in july?!!?
1988 BFN-sold

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2007 at 5:29pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

I'd consider standard rotation, but Eric just built my 10-18 in july?!!?

Im not jumping on the LH rotation bandwagon yet, but I believe the BW can be indexed for either rotation.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2007 at 5:31pm
buffalo, we can turn the pump to accomadate a lefty,the trans will work either direction
greg i know some one with a marine 502, which all your ornaments will hang and it is priced right, it is the exact dimension of your 454, if that scares you we could hang some 454 decals on it
sorry to hear about your block, how bad is your block? i have alot of good leads on used blocks and complete motors, call me at the shop when you get a chance, eric 877-369-6693
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2007 at 6:22pm

since you need a new block, might a well go with a newer one that is cast to fit the production roller cam setup.

Nutty, I was typing when you were. Do you have a casting #'s book for chevy? I'd consider standard rotation, but Eric just built my 10-18 in july?!!?

Sorry I don't. All my stuff is for SBCs. Eric sounds like your best source.

Eric are any of those blocks you can get cast for the factory roller? Did that start the same year as the SBCs ('87)?

Former boats:
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2007 at 6:31pm
Eric is that 502 a roller motor or is an older 502? What rotation does it spin. How much is the cost to make are stock trannies turn the other direction? I maybe calling you in the next couple days.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2007 at 6:43pm
Oh yeah Eric what fuel systems is on the 502.

Buffalo if you can find a used running 454 for $850 you should jump on it. Around my area they are $1K and above. That's a non roller block.
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2007 at 6:59pm
There's one other thing to keep in mind. Going with a LH rotation gives you a LOT more choices for props.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2007 at 8:24pm
Thanks all for the input...
I've talked to everyone I could around here today, and what I've found is that there aren't so many 454's out there and if someone has a 4 bolt they probably won't sell it.

Eric, I appreciate the offer and I'm surely gonna need everyone's help sorting this out. I'm going to get it in the morning.
1988 BFN-sold

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2007 at 8:28pm

Thanks all for the input...
I've talked to everyone I could around here today, and what I've found is that there aren't so many 454's out there and if someone has a 4 bolt they probably won't sell it.

Eric, I appreciate the offer and I'm surely gonna need everyone's help sorting this out. I'm going to get it in the morning.

Sweet deal- glad to see you found one quickly.

Since the bottom end needs to be refreshed anyways, you still have all the parts (between the 2 motors) to go either RH or LH rotation... assuming the new one isnt a roller.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2007 at 9:06pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

assuming the new one isnt a roller.

If it is a roller, then the parts from the 2 motors don't mix? The blocks are different as well?
1988 BFN-sold

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2007 at 9:18pm

Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

assuming the new one isnt a roller.

If it is a roller, then the parts from the 2 motors don't mix? The blocks are different as well?

I assume most of the parts will- but Im no BBC expert. I just dont know how much $$$ it will take to have a RH roller cam built... though I would assume its cheaper to stay LH, convert the tranny and buy a new prop.

If its a flat tappet motor, I say keep it RH and skip the roller conversion if its $$$. Your money is better spent elsewhere!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2007 at 9:56pm
Is the guy going to give you some kind of warranty that the block is not cracked, or some other problems with the motor. Buying a motor from a private party can be expensive, if they don't tell you the whole story. Something doesn't sound right he put a new crank in it and had head work done to it then, went with a 502. Just be carefull and ask what he will if you run into any problems with the motor, cracked block, cracked heads.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2007 at 10:58pm
Jim it doesnt cost anything to swap the pump on the trans,it 4 bolts and rotate it 180 degrees, the 502 from what i remember was a very low hour complete, intake to pan, i think the hi-teks will bolt up with out any problems,, Ive bought engines from this guy before and he stands behind them and is reputable, at the time he wanted 2k for it which in my eyes is a steal because i cant find them any where unless they are tired and neede gone thru, if your serious i will pass on the guys phone number, its christmas and he may go down to $1500.00. he said it is a drop in, i will also research the stack up of both engines
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2007 at 11:05pm
Greg, as jim said be careful but Big block stuff is a whole new world. $500.00 is a hell of a deal and it would be hard to get hurt at that price. small block stuff is a dime a dozen and people hoard the BB stuff and it tends to get pricey. again ask the guy if it has rectangular heads or ovals, everybody wants the rectangulars and remember with your purchase you also have parts that could fetch a return on this motor. hopefully the one your looking at is a roller but chances are its from a mid 80's boat and probably isnt
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2007 at 11:45pm
Jim, maybe you and greg should talk? 502...454
i believe it is a late roller jim btw, i will check if you are kicking this around
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2007 at 8:58am
My block has 4 cracks in the top of the lifter gallery(right term?), so I'll drop it at the scrap yard on my way out of town and pick up a casting #'s book as well.

Eric, that 502 sounds interesting...and drop in for $2000 or less. That might be a less expensive way to go, but how much more gas does that burn? It probably has a carb the size of a small house on top of it. Maybe the 454 stickers would help it burn less?!!?

From the info I have, if all I get for $500 is a good block then I'm still not hurt. My read on this guy selling the HO is that he mostly wants it out of his way and was looking for a good excuse to upgrade his motor. He also said he had the heads off for inspection...not sure what that might indicate. This might be a complete bust or a small gold mine.

Eric, I'm taking your shop # for backup!
'Till later...
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2007 at 10:29am
Thats what i figured with that guy, anyone up in that size in boats has the money and they are not satisfied till they have a set of 502's in thier boats, for the most part i deal with alot of guys like that and they are usually pretty honest
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2007 at 10:36am
you said yours had 2500 hundred hours and by what your describing was pretty tired and probably required alot more gas to run...a fresh motor who knows.... it may be less it may be more, all i know is my suburban with a BBC gets 10 mpg going down hill, on a good day, and it sits cause no one wants to drive it because of the gas.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 34567 22>
  Share Topic