NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A buffalo’s first bowtie

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 45678 22>
Author
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2007 at 4:36pm
It wasn't a gold mine or a bust...somewhere in between. I basically paid $500 for the block, 2 spare heads(if mine aren't cracked), and about half of the hang on parts. It did come with an 8 quart oil pan. The seller owns an import repair shop and I'm sure has an idea of parts value.

You guys have seen us in the news, and that's what happened to this motor. He ran it shallow, sucked up a bunch of mud, overheated, cracked the exaust manifold, and the #1 rod spun its bearing. That pretty scat crank from the ad is probably shot.

The block is the same casting # as the old one, and the machinist looked it over carefully and finished with a nod and a smile. He thinks I have a good one. He said "this'll make a good 30", so it's going to be a 4.28 Except for where merc had their engine tag, it's just like what originally came with the boat.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2007 at 4:57pm
check that valley to for cracks, aint nothing worse than an overheated engine, a good sign of alot of heat is squirt scuffing on the piston and egg shaped cylinder walls, it sounds like you have a good machinist, where are you at with the cam?
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2007 at 5:11pm
He's going to pressure test it...that's the final word on cracks, right? The only cylinder that had any galling was #1, and that's the one he measured. He checked the others too, but my take was he didn't want it on his floor if he couldn't do something with it(man did he have some cool looking stuff in there, saw a cummins diesel head that's almost dinner table sized).

The cam is where we left it. I need the conversion kit to go roller. Looks like the lifters are about $500 and the cam about $700. There may be a question about my drive gear fitting on the roller cam; more research.

FWIW, my neighbor is a chevy guy. I asked him about a brass bi-metal spring mounted to the intake...it's the choke spring, but not like any I've seen. He thinks it's a pretty old engine(almost said motor?!!?)
1988 BFN-sold

87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2007 at 7:29pm
Eric
I am interested in the 502, I would want to see it. Hearing it run most likely is not an option, or is it?

Buffalo
Head wize on that 454 you want the ovals, the rectangle/square port heads will actually rob you of torque when running under 5K rpms. I asked about them for my 454, very good chevy builder let me in on that. He knows his BBC's as he has built a whole lot of them and 5 of the ones he built are currently in drag cars running under 8 seconds in the quater mile.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2007 at 8:22pm
Originally posted by 87BFN owner 87BFN owner wrote:

Head wize on that 454 you want the ovals, the rectangle/square port heads will actually rob you of torque when running under 5K rpms.

Thanks 87, and I liked your pic in the other post. I hope I look like that when all of this is done!
That's great info 'cause I was wondering...and I don't know any pro builders. Starting with a book as I am, all I read about are the rectangular ones. How cool is it to have the right ones and not even know it?!!? LOL As things are, I have 2 pair just alike; same casting numbers, but his were burning much cleaner than mine. I'll take all 4 to the machine shop and let him pick 2 after I know the block is good.
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2007 at 9:58pm
jim,its at D and D marine in Aurora Ohio, call me tommorow and then I'll get you the number
his shop is about 5 miles from my house and like i said he may still have it and he may have sold it, i dunno.
i'll call and get some specifics, such as hours and how he came accross it and so on
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2007 at 9:53am
Originally posted by nuttyskier2002 nuttyskier2002 wrote:

I can also guide you to a good online static compression calculator.

Now that I know what the bore will be(4.28), it's time to start looking at this. I did a search and found some, but which do you like?
Thanks
1988 BFN-sold

nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2007 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

I can also guide you to a good online static compression calculator.

Now that I know what the bore will be(4.28), it's time to start looking at this. I did a search and found some, but which do you like?
Thanks

Try this one. It gives you static compression plus gives true compression which is corrected taking in account when the intake valve closes. Here's the link:
http://kb-silvolite.com/calc.php?action=comp
95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2007 at 7:18pm
Eric,

I am in between meeting right now at work. I dont' think I will get a chance to call you today. I will give you a call tomorrow, any chance you called the guy to see if he still had the engine and specifics?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2007 at 8:10pm
I was waiting on your call, before i call, call me in the am, and we'll discuss
Eric
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2007 at 8:15pm
Got ya, still waiting on the boss before we can start the meeting. If I knew I had this much time I would have called you. Oh wait just got his page over the radio, got to go.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2007 at 1:33pm
I called this morning and here is the scoop, it was a efi,415 horse gen5 engine, non roller, less than 300 hours on the engine when pulled, no itake because of the efi,hy-teks and everything else will bolt to it, no flywheel, heads were pulled and gone thru because he wont sell a big cube engine without doing so, no ridge at all at the top of the cylinders, valley is clean as the day it was new, 2k cash or 2400 on the card, if you are interested the man you want to talk to is Doug, 330-562-8638.
ive bought from him in the past and he doesnt sell junk.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2007 at 2:50pm
Thanks for the info Eric, I am doing some looking right now. That engine is a LH rotation correct. I am going to have to look at a parts list for it. If I decide to pick it up it will not go in the boat until a year from now. I would want to add some goodies to it before I installed a 502. I figure if I am going to switch to a 502 might as well make it worth my while.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2007 at 1:09pm
Update: I just found out that the 'new' block is good. It passed the pressure test, and he's setting up to bore it. The guy who was helping me with the cam is on vacation, so I don't have the last word on it yet.
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2007 at 8:26am
If it turns out that I have 2 extra heads, roughly what would they be worth?
Thanks
1988 BFN-sold

79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2007 at 12:25pm
used heads are usually pretty cheap as most people will have them redone before installing.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2007 at 2:08pm
If your not going to hang on to them check ebay for a price and put them up for sale.
nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2007 at 7:56pm
Like Chris said you won't get a lot for them unless they are re-worked. However, they aren't near as common as the SBC heads. If it were me I'd hang on to them just in case you crack one in the future.
95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2007 at 9:24pm

Like Chris said you won't get a lot for them unless they are re-worked. However, they aren't near as common as the SBC heads. If it were me I'd hang on to them just in case you crack one in the future.

I did do some searching...I didn't find many compared to other parts I saw, and they weren't worth more than $100/pr unconditioned. I think I'll heed given advice and keep them, but not because of the possibility of a cracked one in the future. That won't happen on my watch. Besides that, it fits with what I've found out about the block I tripped over. I haven't seen many of them either and feel blessed that I have the one I found!
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2007 at 11:24pm
Just my opinion, but I would never rework a set of heads that I was going to sell. You will never know what the next person wants to do with them. Therefore reworking them amy make them non usuable to the next guy.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2007 at 12:53pm
the last pair i had, i sold them for 200.00, the thing about selling parts is finding the right guy, i sold an input shaft for 850.00 half of new, because i know the value of it and i knew the guy had no other avenue. If a friend or one of you guys needed it i would just have you cover the shipping...probably not even the shipping. the heads i sold were 390 hp heads and if i found the right guy i could have gotten at least 500.00.
BTW greg thank you for the care package, i have them well hidden for my use only...damnt, know i have to sign the checks, my had no pen excuse ran out
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2007 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

BTW greg thank you for the care package, i have them well hidden for my use only...damnt, know i have to sign the checks, my had no pen excuse ran out

From where I sit, it's more like Thank You for all the help! One's ebony and the other is lacewood...no paint or stain, all natural.

That makes 2 of you...several to go!
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2007 at 9:15am
I got all the info back yesterday. The Crane cam 13HR00034(same specs as 139001) is the roller cam for my engine. That's not the # for the conversion kit, but they matched lifters, springs, and retainers. It looks like push rods and rockers will be extra. He also priced a rebuild kit with hypereutectic pistons, a melling pump, clevite bearings, and fel-pro gaskets for $668. All total to this point with machining and parts; ~3K

I still have a carb, circulating pump, and fuel pump to add and probably a few other small things.

I'll come out cheaper than a repower(especially if someone else was doing the install) but not by much. I'm hoping the 'much' comes in when I hear it fire up!

Thanks for the help to this point!
1988 BFN-sold

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2007 at 9:25am

From where I sit, it's more like Thank You for all the help! One's ebony and the other is lacewood...no paint or stain, all natural.

Greg, I love the woodworkers analogy to black and white! You do need to look hard for the ebony these days that doesn't have lots of white streaks in it!

I always thought that holly was whiter than lacewood but I'm afraid of mentioning it because I don't want to start up Ryan on a black and white debate!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2007 at 9:44am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Greg, I love the woodworkers analogy to black and white! You do need to look hard for the ebony these days that doesn't have lots of white streaks in it!

That's only clever on your part! I was referring to something I sent to Eric.
My material supplier is AWPC(atlanta wood products center). They aren't the cheapest around, but they get nice stuff and don't mind me hand picking. And what does ebony grow in...a tar pit? That's what it smells like anyway.
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2007 at 9:48am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I always thought that holly was whiter than lacewood but I'm afraid of mentioning it because I don't want to start up Ryan on a black and white debate!!

LMAO!!! and I missed the beginning of it?!!?

Holly is white and with almost no grain...very nice. Australian lacewood is mostly a medium brown.
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2007 at 9:57am

I got all the info back yesterday. The Crane cam 13HR00034(same specs as 139001) is the roller cam for my engine

So what pieces are supplied with this part number here, just the cam or what. Please be specific. I am keeping track of this stuff for when the time comes for me to do this job. I trying to decide wether the rebuild or the repower will be the way to go for me.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2007 at 10:12am
That # represents the cam only. Crane matched the rest of the parts for the kit but I do not have that #. I think the rest is easy after the cam is identified. A repower sort of seems like cheating to me, but I know I'm going to like knowing what's under the hood and how it went together.
1988 BFN-sold

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2007 at 11:32am
Buffalo, does that mean youve decided to build a LH engine?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2007 at 11:38am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Buffalo, does that mean youve decided to build a LH engine?

The cam is expensive because I'm keeping it RH...it's a custom grind.
1988 BFN-sold

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 45678 22>
  Share Topic