NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A buffalo’s first bowtie

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 678910 22>
Author
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2007 at 4:04pm
mm is sending me a 1.23, your trans has value to me, i could probably go even up with your trans and you handle the shipping, for a rebuilt 1.23...
there are other trannys' that will work, if your patient and have time i"ll look for a 450 or 630 zf in the 1:1 range, they a basically bullet proof.....im just throwing some options out there for you
"the things you own will start to own you"
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2007 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

there are other trannys' that will work, if your patient and have time i"ll look for a 450 or 630 zf in the 1:1 range, they a basically bullet proof.....im just throwing some options out there for you

Eric, both those tranamissions reverse the rotation of the motor?

Buffalo, keep in mind that if you go with the 1.23, you can spin a RH prop with a LH engine, but you wont like how your stock prop performs. Youll need a steeper one, with a pitch of 15-16".
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2007 at 4:24pm
And you will need a new starter, dist maybe depends on the cut of the gear, and a circulation pump some cir pumps are bi-directional and if it is your ok but most are directional and you'll need to flip the RWP 180 as well.

This would be your best option going with a 1.23:1 it's really going to save you a ton of money and you can have the roller cam as well.
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2007 at 6:56pm
I am not making any changes this year, but like I said I am gathering info and part numbers for the wish list. That way I can make sound economic choice.

Eric, how is the boat coming? Just wondering how soon I have to have the garage cleaned back up to fit it in?
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2007 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by 87BFN owner 87BFN owner wrote:

I am not making any changes this year, but like I said I am gathering info and part numbers for the wish list. That way I can make sound economic choice.Eric, how is the boat coming?

87, no offense man, but do you mind if I get my 1 boat going? You have 2!
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2007 at 8:50pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

Originally posted by backfoot100 backfoot100 wrote:

As far as the M1 15W-50 oil that they recommend for flat tappets; thats the only oil that I've been putting in my boat for over 15 years. I have absolutely no complaints. When I tore it down after 800 HR's to change the heads and intake, the lifter valley looked brand new.

This makes me want to put my engine back the way it was maybe with a warmer cam and not worry about it. I'm a pretty good keeper of my equipment, and it would be much easier on my wallet than the looks of my other options.

I copied this over from the oil thread for anyone not following both. I'm thinking this is the common sense way to go, and if I end up with more money than sense down the road...I can take it apart again. I know how Tim feels on this; anyone think I'm messing up for not switching to roller?
1988 BFN-sold

87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2007 at 11:42pm
Buffalo
None taken, didn't see anywhere that I was stepping on your toes by me asking questions as well but have at it my brother.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2007 at 6:32am
You weren't...I was joking!
1988 BFN-sold

backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2007 at 11:26am
Put the flat bump stick in it and rip up the lake!!!! The flats have been around for a lot longer than the rollers so you'll be fine. Marine engines don't have near as much lift or duration as a 1/4 miler so it'll be fine and whole lot cheaper.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2007 at 11:45am

Put the flat bump stick in it and rip up the lake!!!! The flats have been around for a lot longer than the rollers so you'll be fine. Marine engines don't have near as much lift or duration as a 1/4 miler so it'll be fine and whole lot cheaper.

This is looking to be the plan. Eddie or anyone(got it Tim, LOL), would you warm the cam a little or keep it stock. My reason for asking is not about power, but more about maybe letting it breath better.
Thanks
1988 BFN-sold

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2007 at 1:01pm

This is looking to be the plan. Eddie or anyone(got it Tim, LOL), would you warm the cam a little or keep it stock. My reason for asking is not about power, but more about maybe letting it breath better.
Thanks

Greg, you know my opinion but Ill add another 2 cents worth...

Allowing the engine to breath better (better flowing intake, heads, exhaust, and a cam to match) will increase efficiency AND power- theyre really the same thing.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2007 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Allowing the engine to breath better (better flowing intake, heads, exhaust, and a cam to match) will increase efficiency AND power- theyre really the same thing.

So should I stick with cam specs like the crane 139001 has? The #'s for this cam are ok for a flat tappet cam?
1988 BFN-sold

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2007 at 1:40pm

So should I stick with cam specs like the crane 139001 has? The #'s for this cam are ok for a flat tappet cam?

Im not sure- I dont know enough about the BBC to comment on the specifics (lift and duration). The values would be fine for a flat tappet, though. It does seem like a very mild cam, though. I might be inclined to go a *little* more aggressive, even if youre sticking with some reworked stock heads and a mild intake manifold upgrade. PCM/Ford was very conservative with their stock cams.

The best advice I can give you is to find someone who knows BBC's inside and out. Tell them what components (heads, intake) youre using, and what your goals are and they can make a specific recommendation.

FYI, my cam is rated to make power from 2500-5200 RPM with my setup. I have zero idle or off-idle issues- and I gained a TON of holeshot and midrange power. Dont be afraid to be a little on the aggressive side, with something rated for power on the order of 2000-4800 RPM. Our boats get a lot of prop slip out of the hole.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2007 at 1:53pm
Completely agree with Tim. A little warmer on the cam wouldn't be a bad thing. Especially if you're freshening the motor from the bottom up.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2007 at 2:17pm

The best advice I can give you is to find someone who knows BBC's inside and out. Tell them what components (heads, intake) youre using, and what your goals are and they can make a specific recommendation.

Thanks for hanging in there Tim & Ed. This seems to have gotten boring to most right at crunch time.
I have thought more than once that I was dealing with someone who knew what they were talking about. Guy A knows his business but doesn't listen to me; instead he decides for me what he thinks I'm trying to say. Guy B knows this engine inside and out...but for race/street rod applications. Guy C knows a little about a lot of different engines and is a good salesman, but is full of it from the start and doesn't care about much more than the fleecing he's gonna give me?!!?

LMAO...I'll get there, 'with a little help from my friends'!
1988 BFN-sold

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2007 at 2:24pm
Greg, keep looking for another BBC expert. There has to be someone out there who can help! Search some internet forums (maybe the Donzi Registry?) for someone who might have some experience in building marine Chevies.

I got lucky and stumbled across Cam Research. They knew their Fords way better than the guy I spoke to at Comp. They also knew ski boats, which was a huge plus. They built me a custom cam that works great for me, and Ive directed many here towards them (Boat Dr, Alan, etc). Unfortunately, they dont do Chevies. Maybe put a call into them and see if they can recommend someone.

Cam Research
303-762-0022
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2007 at 3:33pm
Try this guy:

Tim Dorr, Dorr's Marine Engine Windham,ME
207-892-5145

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2007 at 4:35pm
Unfortunately, I'm not a BBC expert either. I know enough about SBC to be dangerous. I have a book at home called SBC Marine Performance by Dennis Moore. Excellent book. He also wrote one called BBC Marine Performance. You might want try a search and see if you can find a copy of that book someplace because I'm sure that you would find it an excellent source for what you're trying to do. Probably answer at least 90% of your questions. They may be out of print but you won't know unless you look.

Eddie
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2007 at 5:10pm

They may be out of print but you won't know unless you look.

I've been looking for that book for 3 years!   LOL   It is out of print and last time I looked it was available for $225. Maybe it's worth that at this point?!!?

It'll all shake out like it's supposed to.
1988 BFN-sold

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2007 at 5:37pm

They may be out of print but you won't know unless you look.

I've been looking for that book for 3 years!   LOL   It is out of print and last time I looked it was available for $225. Maybe it's worth that at this point?!!?

$64 shipped from this site. Most had it listed for $225-275. Grab it!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2007 at 6:27pm
I may be missing something, but that site says my card is invalid...and it isn't, and my AV software didn't like the link either.
1988 BFN-sold

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2007 at 7:40pm
Buffalo, the number I posted is the go to guy around here for all the Cigarettes, Fountains, etc in this area.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2007 at 7:51pm
From what I've seen on BBC and SBC specs for cams they are much higher for stock stuff compared to the ford specs, so what might look like a pretty step lift and duration comparing it to a ford spec cam is actually stock to very mild in the chevy world. My self i would have to ask a couple of friends that race BBC to even offer any advice.
Quigs85SN2001 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quigs85SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2007 at 12:17pm
BuffaloBFN,

I haven't contacted them yet, but you might want to check out http://www.lsmeng.com/
They were mentioned a couple months ago on this site. Fortunately they are only about 15 minutes from my home. I say fortunately because I just did a compression test on my 351, and got bad news.... zero compression in the #1 cylinder. So I'm in for a similar project in the future. Anyway, they make custom camshafts and a whole lot more. I was going to go see them after I get time to pull my engine.

Brian

Brian

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2007 at 12:29pm
looks like a good source.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2007 at 12:43pm
I just sent LSM an e-mail. My parts guy said he called them, but he's also the guy who was setting me up with a RH chain driven cam.

I don't think he was listening the first time around when I described the way my cam is driven.
What an adventure this has become! LOL
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2007 at 1:52pm
in reality, the flat was in there for 2500 hours and it retails for 280.00, and is available....this seems like a touchy subject lately.
as said, you need to talk to a guy that works these bbc's, they knows the do's and donts'
imo, 2500 hours is a hell of alot of hours and would take you 15 years to accumulate that many hours, rollers are nice but, if not available what are you going to do? i myself am leary about camming BBC's because of a few problems in the past, with small blocks its a different story.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2007 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

i myself am leary about camming BBC's because of a few problems in the past

You're saying to stay with the stock cam?

Nice to see you back!
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2007 at 6:59pm
im sure that cam was designed for a good curve fot the ski boat, it looks like there is not to many options for you, you can pick up horsepower in other areas if desired, different ratio rockers, heads, pistons, intake etc..the technology since your boat was new has changed and simple and inexpensive upgrades such as even the intake will make noticable differences. do alot of research on a good intake for this cam if possible
if you decide to use that cam, build your engine around that cam. that boat is a bully to begin with and a fresh stock engine alone is plenty
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2007 at 2:26pm
Guys, I think I'm going to put it back together about like it came apart. I'm going to stay with the stock cam and gear drive and keep it RH rotation. I am going to have it balanced, and I think I'll put roller rockers on it. Heck, after all of this discussion I almost have to go to roller something. LOL
Anyone have any thoughts on the rocker ratio or brands? I see where scorpion is about $70 cheaper than crane...
1988 BFN-sold

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 678910 22>
  Share Topic