Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2WD or 4WD

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
bobbarker733 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobbarker733 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2WD or 4WD
    Posted: March-09-2013 at 1:20pm
hey guys

I'm considering upgrading my tow vehicle for a Toyota 4Runner and I'm trying to figure out if I want 4WD. I got a 86SN and the 2 ramps I use are concrete slabs.

It's pretty flat between my house and the ramp locations and I don't plan on driving further than that. Also I don't need 4WD for anything else (winter, off roading).

So my question to you is: do you use 4x4 when pulling your boat out of the water?

I know angle vary, surface texture, some got slippery stuff on them..

Maybe I should rephrase my question to: have you ever had problems pulling your boat out, on RWD, and using concrete ramps?

Let's see :)
86 SN and lovin' it!
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2013 at 1:33pm
I've had a varity of 2wd trucks. Never been stranded at any ramp yet. Our ski club ramp has a slab but while the boat is still on the slab the truck is in pea gravel.

I always am amazed with people doing burnouts on boat ramps trying to pull things out.On ramps wet or dry I never had a problem even with my smallest truck the Dakota. It had 10 inch wide summer performance tires most of the time. 86 Ski Nautique as well but pulled various other boats. Clearly the best of all the 2wds was my diesel purely because of weight and low end torque/manual transmission required no throttle input to pull boats out.

My new 1500 will actuall slip a tire just a hair more than the little Dakota.
The only vehicle I owned I used 4x4 to pull out of ramps was my 04 Dakota Quad cab. It was a stick with a low gear ratio rear end so it took some throttle to move a boat and it was an open rear end so it would spin easily. 4x4 button and problem solved.

Don't blow the extra cash on 4x4 if it is not needed. Our river ramp is probably one of the steepest around and I've pulled out much heavier boats there than my 86.

96 2500 diesel dodge 2wd
99 R/T dakota 2wd
2010 Ram 1500 2wd
OldSchoolBlue84 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolBlue84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2013 at 2:10pm
I would agree with Zack but it is nice having it. Use to pull with a 93 2w Ford Explore 2 door and a few times I was quenching my rear end. If you eliminate the spinning, should be good to go. Now I pull with Jeep Commandor AWD V8 and its a dream.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2013 at 3:03pm
If you are at a slippery ramp & have someone with you when you pull out, have them sit in the bed, the extra weight over the wheels makes a difference.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
ononewheel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ononewheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2013 at 8:15pm
While in Wisconsin I had a F-150 4x4 that would not pull the boat out in 2wd. No matter how easy I worked the throttle and clutch. They were concrete ramps too.

I'd bet it depends more on the condition of your ramps and how busy the boat/ wave action is in your area. Around Madison, the waves pushed alot of weeds and slime onto the ramp, and often the lowering of the lake left a muck on the ramp.    

The ramp was always busy too leaving it wet and slippery.

If you find the right deal on a 2wd, pull the trigger in my opinion. They are slightly less on maintainence, and the traction problem could be solved with a little weight like others have said, or a little push from the boat.
If we let the professionals do everything it takes all the fun out of youtube
Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2013 at 9:00pm
I pull my 92 SN with a Suburban 4WD. I have never engaged the 4wd, for any reason with the boat, ramps, or drive. I like to have the option, but realisticly not needed. If the opportunity presents itself, I could pull a house down with it!!
Js
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2013 at 9:22pm
I also had a v6 Dakota with a clutch. I liked to use 4 low at the ramp. Mostly because I believe it is good to engage it now and then and also it is a lot easier on the clutch. No gas, just let the clutch all the way out and creep to dry flat ground. 4wd definitely inspires confidence, but if I did not live in a snowy climate I am not sure if I would bother. If you have full time rear wheel drive I would not expect problems in most normal conditions. Front wheel drive is a different issue.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2013 at 12:25am
Maybe its just my ramps boats and tow vehicles but I've never needed it. 4wd wasn't always so available, plenty of boats have been pulled out the old fashioned way.

And some people can't live without their GPS either...
Foot_Fungus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foot_Fungus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2013 at 12:34am
4wd is one of those things that you will kick yourself for one late night when you pull your boat out on a shady lookin ramp and start slippin. I very rarely use my 4wd, but there have been a few times when I've been glad I had it. Of course a good lsd rear end will also do wonders.
'94SN Restoration underway...
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2013 at 5:33pm
in the good old days, the boats were heavy, the ramps were nothing special and most people towed with a station wagon or a convertable. Now everyone needs an AWD or a 4x4. Get yourself a late 70's Estate wagon, Country Squire, or even an Eldorado converable and you'll be fine
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2013 at 5:59pm
I pull the 88 most of the time with a 00 Durango 4x4. It pulls it like no tomorrow and I'm not worried about any ramp I encounter cause yes it's in 4wd ALL the time which isn't all that great on gas milage pulling or not pulling the boat. Would I run out and buy a new one. I kinda doubt it with gas as high as it is. Didn't mind it as much when it was $40 to fill it up but now that its $80 or more it stings a little bit. You know the ramps that you encounter for most of your boating so that should help determine your towing need.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2013 at 10:03pm
older tow wagons?

This is the life
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2013 at 10:21pm
2 wheel drive will work just fine.
I would think it might be hard to find a 2 wheel drive 4Runner?
So if I were you I would get the nicest 4Runner I could find be it 2 or 4 wheel drive.
This is the life
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2013 at 2:31pm
2WD all the way unless you are in the snow belt or have a need to use the 4WD feature for other things.
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2013 at 2:44pm
I enjoyed 19 Mpg at 70 mph yesterday in my full size quad cab 2wd truck into a head wind on a 150 mile trip :).

Limited slip is a must if you are going 2wd boat toater. I have only owned 1 open rear end truck and I hated it. That was the 5 speed Dakota 4x4. Being a stick with an open diff it wouldn't pull out a thing unless it was in 4x4.
Keuka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keuka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2013 at 2:52pm
My Martinique will be a bit heavier than you SN plus I'm sure I have a fair amount of soaked foam adding to the weight. I tow with a Z71 Suburban and most of the time 2wd work fine. I have needed to use 4wd a few times though. The municipal ramp I normally use in natural shale beach. If it is real wet, I use 4wd. It is a nice option to have.
86 Martinique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2013 at 3:48pm
Im a die hard 4wd guy for a number of reasons (snow belt, steep dirt driveway, etc), and would never consider NOT having it- but I recognize that 2wd may be sufficient on some ramps for many people.

That being said, I am totally lost as to why you'd ever try to pull a boat out of the water in 2wd if you have a 4wd truck. 4Lo gives a slow, steady pull, which makes loading easier- and its easier on the vehicle too. Seems like a no-brainer to use it if youve got it?
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2013 at 4:13pm
Use it if you've got it but why use it if you don't need it? No tire slippage, no need IMO. I will agree, it is definitely nice to have. The only regret I have with my 2WD is at the beginning of hunting season when the logging roads I use to get to my lease are still torn up from the summer rains and there's some deep mud holes. Having a locking rear diff definitely makes a big difference and helps a lot, off road and on the boat ramp. For me personally, the benefit of the up-front cheaper vehicle cost and the added fuel economy of a 2WD outweigh the benefit of a 4WD so that is the route I chose. I have had numerous 4WD trucks in the past and I just didn't reap the benefit down here in FL. But again, I feel it is location and personal preference specific. Need to weigh the positive and negative characteristics of each and make the proper decision for your own intended uses/needs and buy accordingly.
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2013 at 4:45pm
Another consideration is if your buying new or used.If a nice 4wd comes up in your quest it might be worth it. I have bought the full time transfer case in all my Jeeps.From November to April or whenever it rains it never comes out of 4wd. All but one has had posi,would not buy one again without it. Never have used low except on my home ramp and to put the boat in the pole barn for the winter,but than again my boats smaller than some of yours.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2013 at 4:47pm
I love 4x4 but I couldn't stomach the change in payment. Maybe later on but as of now there is no need other than ego ;).

I used 4x4 on ramps if I had it. There is no reason not to kick it on if you have it.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2013 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

That being said, I am totally lost as to why you'd ever try to pull a boat out of the water in 2wd if you have a 4wd truck. 4Lo gives a slow, steady pull, which makes loading easier- and its easier on the vehicle too. Seems like a no-brainer to use it if youve got it?

Key word Timmy is truck, those pertend jap car things they call trucks probably need all the help they can get getting over a speed bump let alone dragging a real boat out the water .

The only time I ever needed 4wd as a necessity is launching / retrieving without a launch
jbach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2013 at 5:30pm
i little trick for those with 2wd and an open rear diff (one wheel peel). engage your parking brake about halfway down before pulling out. it will act as a limited slip and apply more power the the non slipping tire.

the same technique can be used for the front tires with the brake peddle if in 4wd. 4wd isn't really 4wd unless you have lockers (locked differential) front and rear. very few vehicles come with lockers (h1 hummer and wrangler rubicon are the only two i can think of). a rear wheel locker was an option on the 3rd gen 4WD limited 4runners.
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2013 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Key word Timmy is truck, those pertend jap car things they call trucks probably need all the help they can get getting over a speed bump let alone dragging a real boat out the water .

The only time I ever needed 4wd as a necessity is launching / retrieving without a launch

I'll put my Jap truck against any 1/2 ton pickup any day of the week. Come on down CQ and I'll "show" you why it's better.   
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2013 at 6:04pm
OK dere Bert, thanks for the invite, will need to take a pass as I culd only imagine what you gurl car drivin fellas consider a pulling contest. The old double dutch rudder just aint my thing.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2013 at 6:08pm
It would have to be down in Florida anyway Chris all the Jap ones here are rusted out.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2013 at 6:17pm

OK dere Bert, thanks for the invite, will need to take a pass as I culd only imagine what you gurl car drivin fellas consider a pulling contest. The old double dutch rudder just aint my thing.

Aww come on CQ, I'm ready to put the smack back in smackdown.
Had to post-whore on this one. 1000 posts!
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2013 at 6:23pm
I'm like Tim B. I have three trucks, ALL are 4x4's.

I have only owned one 2wd truck in 35 years and I wouldnt consider buying another. (I got stuck backing up to our house ... on WET grass)

I understand a bit more operating expense, but also higher resale value when its time to sell.

4WD...."Dont leave home without it"!

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2013 at 7:29pm
I bought my truck so cheap I couldn't pass it up haha. It's well optioned and had 20k on it a year ago when I bought it. Darn near perfect.

Had less than 18k in a 2010 truck when I walked off the lot!
jbach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2013 at 8:04pm
Originally posted by bhectus bhectus wrote:

I'll put my Jap truck against any 1/2 ton pickup any day of the week. Come on down CQ and I'll "show" you why it's better.   

X2,i'll take ours over any domestic, pulling the boat or not.

:stirthepot: plus, we prefer not to buy govt. bailed out, union built autos anyways. not only do they hold up better, they hold their value leaps and bounds better :stirthepot:
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2013 at 8:26pm
I'm pretty sure no manufacturer really makes a "bad" truck. They all just have features and things about them that appeal to people differently.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic