Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What material muffler should I use?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
SevenCostanza View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SevenCostanza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What material muffler should I use?
    Posted: September-02-2024 at 8:49pm
I recently bought a 1984 Nautique 2001, and the previous owner straight piped it. Unfortunately it's too loud for my small lake, so I need to buy mufflers for it. I was thinking I would buy a surf pipe from fresh air exhaust, and also buy a couple stainless steel mufflers from them. I know the original mufflers are fiberglass, but they cost more than twice as much as stainless steel ones from Fresh Air Exhaust. Has anyone had experience with stainless steel mufflers on their Nautique 2001?
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2024 at 12:30am
Centek Marine
https://centekmarine.com/solutions/propulsion-wet-exhaust/

You can find mufflers from Centek all over the www

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2024 at 6:19am
If you click on the link below to the FAE muffler page and read the 3rd paragraph from the bottom, you'll notice that the FAE people say that with the FAE pipe on the back of the boat you don't need mufflers and straight pipes in the boat are OK.

Just trying to maybe save you some money  Wink

What's in the boat now? SS tubing to replace the mufflers, rubber hose all the way back or something else?

Seven Costanza........Seinfield, George, baby name?
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2024 at 9:00am
Yeah Best to do your part to not be nuisance, and keep skiing all early and late hours
I prefer fiber mufflers like centek, like Rob sez,  i go further by remove flappers  add a 45 degree reinforced silicon elbow,  cut it flush to the running surface. almost as quiet as more advanced 2-into-one systems or fea without the drag in the water.
let me know if you want to know more details and particulars
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2024 at 9:22am
Cool idea, Tom.  I’d love more details…I may do this to Team Red II.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2024 at 10:10am
Ok, stand by! i'll follow-up
 its effective, inexpensive, non permanent

we're start/stop in front of the same houses each morning, so we got ahead of any issues
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2024 at 11:37am
Ok Rob,

here was the quick  proof-of-concept on the supreme back in 2020.   reinforced silicon intake elbow on amazon, all sizes available

Now this i believe is important, drill a 3/16 hole on the top most of the elbow, to break vacuum after an impeller fail overheat, one wants the risers to pull air in not all water when the overheated steam contracts

here is rev 2 later that year, cleaner cut.   3" TO 3.5" 45 degree elbow
ill still use these again when the supreme goes back on line

The malibu went on line and then sourced these larger 5.5" elbows for fit over the flange. (its still a 3.5: ID, but a large flange)
i drilled these also, and retained the internal flapper

I don't have firsthand experience with using these on an unmuffled boat, but i can report a man on BOS from minnesota used this idea i shared on his gekko that was really loud, turns out it had no mufflers. he was getting complaints and needed a solution, he did this and can now ski 6am without the complaints.

Others there have now done similarly, without issue, and well as a friends boat we use in the morning half the days.  Lapont falcon needed 4.5" id. 

double clamps hold these firm still on season 3

I believe the flexible material with the water dampens the sound energy better than a hard material can.  it also flexes as the boat's attitude changes. 
 the sound  is no longer focused by the platform to trumpet behind.  
this and few other tricks permit casual speech while underway, less driver fatigue, etc

River Rat to Mole
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2024 at 12:14pm
And here's the long version from Ball of Spray  Wink

SevenCostanza View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SevenCostanza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2024 at 8:04pm
Thanks for the info! I'm gonna give this a try!
andrewmarani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrewmarani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2024 at 4:40pm
I like a quiet boat so I bought a set as well and will install when I pull the boat for the winter.  Which means I have to wait till spring to hear the change...  

Builder
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2024 at 8:33am
Great, let us know how it works for you as well

River Rat to Mole
andrewmarani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrewmarani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2024 at 9:16am
Tubes came in and I realized I could just stand in the water under the lift and put them on so i did that Saturday.  First picture shows them installed.  

Second picture shows a plywood template I made to get the right location and the right cut angle on the rubber correct.  Shows it after I cut the tube since I didn't think of taking a picture before that.  I took a piece of 6" wide plywood and, using a hole saw slightly bigger than the silicon tubes, cut out an oval that fit neatly over the tube when the ply would be at the angle that's parallel with the bottom of the boat.  Then I put the tube on the exhaust outlet, slide the plywood up the tube till the plywood was against the bottom of the boat and ran a marker around the top of the ply against the tube. Took the tube off the boat and cut it with a sharp kitchen knife and then put the tube back on and clamped it tight.  End result is a neat cut line that is even with the bottom of the boat.

I took the boat for a quick spin before installing the muffler tubes and then after installing them.  The boat is noticeably quieter, tough to give a sound reduction level but I could easily hear the difference.  Top end didn't seem to change, was still 43 MPH on the air guides.  

I did drill the 3/16" hole in the top just above the bend.  I also had external rubber flaps which i removed before installation, I didn't notice any issue when backing the boat off the lift.  Exhaust was bubbling out just like normal so I don't expect any problems backing up with no flappers.

Builder
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2024 at 10:35am
Thumbs Up

River Rat to Mole
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic