NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

PCM 1.23 Oil Change Eric???

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PCM 1.23 Oil Change Eric???
    Posted: June-08-2009 at 11:00am
Putting the boat away for the winter. I decided to change the tranny oil as well. I removed a bit over 1.75 litres out of the tranny but it appears to be straight oil as it is not the red colour of ATF.

I had already purchased some ATF Dexron IID for the change. Because I will now be converting to ATF is there any extra precautions I should take?

I have searched all the previous posts on trans oil changes and come up with a capacity of 2 US quarts which equates to 1.9 litres. The trans may have been a bit low on oil as I was always checking it incorrectly without the engine running so 1.75 may be all there was in there.

In one of the old threads Eric mentioned removing the return line to the cooler and pumping the oil out.

Eric is this still a option with all the oil removed as there still may be some residual oil in the pump. Or should I overfill the trans with ATF to help flush out the old oil and then pump out this way.

Also Eric one more question while the clock is running is there a contamination problem with the straight oil & ATF. Should I can the whole idea and just run the straight 20 weight? oil until I totally disassemble trans and clean. I would hate to cause a trans problem by doing it this way. I do not think I would disassemble the trans just to convert to ATF anyway. The tranny was running fine no noises or dragging at idle.

Note:- will settle the bill in beers at GL
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2009 at 12:05pm
the key is to dilute without dis-assembly, anything compatible to Dexron/Mercon. drain the trans, fill to the top and run it while shifting to clear the packs, pull that oil out and re-fill
"the things you own will start to own you"
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2009 at 12:09am
Thanks Eric will flush as suggested and then refill again.

Is there any danger in using the return hose to pump out the fluid? How long should you run it once oil stops coming out?

89 Ski

lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2009 at 5:05am
Completed the oil change today. Did the flush and refill. Just used my syringe to remove all was not game to us the return line pump out method. I was a bit dubious about running the tranny with little or no oil.
The $20 syringe worked perfect. Just had to get the hose down to the correct size to get down into the bottom of transmission case.

When putting the trans in forward & reverse as Eric suggested on flush cycle I noticed a noise that I have never heard before. Probably because I have never engaged drive with the boat out of the water previously. It is sort of a muffled rattling noise.

Is this normal or do I have a possible dampner problem????

89 Ski

lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2009 at 5:07am
Thought I would post pic of syringe it will hold 500ml about a pint in US volume.

89 Ski

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2009 at 11:43am
Lewy - I had that same rattle when test running in the driveway. It is normal, caused by not enough drag on the prop.

See you next month!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic