Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

looking for new trailer

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
weitekampt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weitekampt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: looking for new trailer
    Posted: July-28-2008 at 12:04am
When we got back from GL a few weeks ago, I noticed rust holes on the top rail of my trailer. Basically, where the board bolts to the trailer. My fenders are rusted real bad and she is just looking her age. Not to mention, I have never had working brakes on it!

I priced out a custom trailer 2 years ago and it was going to be made by Prestige. It was sweet, but pricy. I know there have been guys around here upgrade their single axle trailers to double axle trailers. Who is are some good companies to call. Prestige didn't have a trailer (or blueprints) for a 93 hull design. It was going to be the first one made and that was going to be part of the problem.

We pull the boat a lot of miles and it lives on the trailer. I'd love to have a 4 bunk trailer to cradle the hull better and support the boat better while driving on these BEAUTIFUL Illinois roads. Yeah, that is scarcasm at it's best! We just got back from Minnesota yesterday and decided we'd better start getting prices and ideas.

Thanks for any help guys!
1993 SkiNautique ProTec
2009 Boatmate trailer.
1240 hours on meter.
1993 Ski Nautique
wi54545 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi54545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2008 at 12:44am
Try a boatmate trailer. They made one for my 1996 Ski, when I upgraded to a tandem. I absolutely love mine. Tows like a train and stops like a car. It also fits nicely into my 20' garage. The trailer is four bunk (actually six).

I was quoted 2500 for a single axle and 2900 for my tandem. Great guys there as well.

Check out my diary for pics.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weitekampt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2008 at 1:47am
man, that is a great looking trailer!   You say that is a 6 bunk? Where is that boatmate trailer made? Never heard of them, but it looks like a good trailer. Is it a spring trailer or does it have the torsion flex axles? Oil bath hubs or regular grease? These were some of the upgrades that I had priced on the custom prestige. You say 2900, but how long ago was that? That is still a great price on a trailer!

Do you have a link to a website or a contact number for boatmate? Any help would be great!

Thanks for the info and GREAT RIG!!
1993 SkiNautique ProTec
2009 Boatmate trailer.
1240 hours on meter.
1993 Ski Nautique
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2008 at 1:56am
I like the Zieman and DHM trailers, but I don't know if they are sold in the midwest.

I have a sport boat trailer, made in CA. It tows fine. Has crash pads and 4 bunks, and a keel support in the front. BKH
Livin' the Dream

keegan99usa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keegan99usa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2008 at 12:24pm
Todd

Looks like boatmate trailer.com is the place for contact info. Good luck. BTW, I think I would add the crash pads in the front to the trailer that ws posted above.
Later
Dan
Is it Summer yet??
wi54545 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi54545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2008 at 2:13pm
My trailer has UFP components on it. Disc brakes on each wheel, torsion axles, no maintenance bearings (synthetic and non-servicable), LED lights, prop guard rollers, swing tongue. The guide poles are removable. All it takes to remove them are a D-ring and some set screws. The trailer is then around 98 inches from fender to fender.

The only downside to the boatmate is that it loves steeper ramps. This is due to the bunk design that makes the boat sit up higher. It is a little harder to load then the Ramlin, but is far superior in its trailering capabilities. Towing down Illinois roads (highway 47 and I-57 which are beyond bad) you do not feel the boat and trailer moving up and down. Very, very smooth.

I regards to loading, I drive it on to about 18 inches to the front winch and winch it the rest of the way. I don't really miss the crashpads, much easier to put a cover on.

www.boatmatetrailers.com

I worked with Owen and Jerry. Great guys. They mainly build for the Supra, Malibu, and Moomba factories. They are located outside of Knoxville, TN.

I am very happy with my trailer. It is FAR superior to the Ramlin (previous '93 and current '96), and Prestige trailers (2000 Sport) that we have had. BTW I bought the trailer in March '08.

Good luck!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weitekampt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2008 at 2:46pm
Man, that is exactly what I am looking for! I hate dealing with bearings and such. So you have 4 wheel disc brakes??? Wow! You say you got all that for 2900 bucks?? I'd think that the addons would put you up a bit, but that is a great price. I don't know if I would go with the aluminum wheels or chrome. But you basically have the trailer I want.

I did do a google search and found them. How did they make the bunks just right for the nautique hull? How long did it take to make the trailer? So you don't miss the crash pads? I think the locking mechanism for the I-hook is a good idea, but I think I'd rather do it the way you load your boat.

Thanks for all the information and I think this may be a good way to go. $2900-3k for tha trailer is a smokin deal.

later!
1993 SkiNautique ProTec
2009 Boatmate trailer.
1240 hours on meter.
1993 Ski Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weitekampt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2008 at 2:48pm
Also, what are you doing on 47 and I-57 in Illinois? How far south on 47 do you go? I live on 47, but down by Champaign. Let me know if you are ever passing through.

If you look in waterski magazine this month, there is a article about the mastercraft rig and doing traveling clinic's. I saw it driving down the road past our farm one evening. He was going to the ski shop in Farmer City, IL. Awesome rig.
1993 SkiNautique ProTec
2009 Boatmate trailer.
1240 hours on meter.
1993 Ski Nautique
wi54545 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi54545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2008 at 2:58pm
We make a yearly trek up to Manitowish Waters, Wisconsin from Atlanta every June. The reason for me upgrading to this trailer.   We overnighted in Aurora and bypassed all the interstates on route 47 until Champaign to get on I-74. I love all the farms up there...

Grew up in Barrington, IL. I am slowly convincing my wife to move up to the Midwest. I yearn for real lakes, not the fake lakes that are abundant (or not, lately...) in Georgia.

May get my wish because my employer Delta is acquiring Northwest.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weitekampt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2008 at 4:43pm
Sounds like you passed my house then if you took 74 to Rt47. We are 10 miles north of 74 on RT47. Would have been cool to see your trailer then!

Give a shout next time you pass through and we can take a spin on the lake! Only 30 minutes away!

Thanks again for all your information!
1993 SkiNautique ProTec
2009 Boatmate trailer.
1240 hours on meter.
1993 Ski Nautique
wi54545 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi54545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2008 at 11:24pm
I made a website for my boat and trailer. Thinking of selling because of my industry (airlines).

More pics of the boatmate trailer...

http://www.944turbo1986.com/Main.html

copy and paste the address

I'll take you up on your offer next time I'm thru!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic