NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Check out my knob!

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Check out my knob!
    Posted: January-27-2007 at 5:30pm
knob before

I put the knob on the end of my drill to sand it and finish it, worked great! keeping it spinning while spraying the lacquer made for a real smooth finish

Used this Lacquer

Finished knob (and I was going to buy a new one)

81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2007 at 5:57pm
looks great but I think you've just set yourself up for a few polishing the knob jokes
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2007 at 7:11pm
Randy, your allowed to take the tag off your dash unless your name is Mike
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2007 at 7:12pm
Im still thinking about a knobber joke
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2007 at 7:47pm
oooooh...Randy, you give great "knob jobs"
nates78ski View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2007 at 8:52pm
you're such s knob Randy!!

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

<a href="http://photobucket.com/Nates78ski" rel="nofoll
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2007 at 8:54pm
My knob's bigger then yours!!

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2007 at 9:25pm
Randy is obviously the knob expert of our site. Here-to-fore all knob questions are to be refered to Randy.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2007 at 10:20pm
I kinda figured I was setting myself up or the knob jokes... but if you could feel how smooth my knob is! I lost count how many coats I put on after 12. I sprayed repeatedly for 2 days.

Nate, your a great guy and all, but I can a$$ure you my knob is bigger

jbear, I would be happy to answer any questions about throttle knobs. Thank you for pronouncing me "knob expert"

Eric, no, my name is really Randy, Mike was the guy I bought the boat from, a good friend of mine. I told him if I ever get in trouble on the boat I will simply tell the officer that I don't have any ID... but my name is right here on the dash!! No, really I don't know what I would put there is I took it off, thought about putting a sticker or something over his name, I don't know...

Now I'm going to go polish my knob.... my throttle knob that is! (there you go Hollywood, A new signature for you!)

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2007 at 10:41pm
I think quinner is the smoothness expert here. He is always workin' things back and forth to keep 'em loose and smooth, to paraphrase Hollywood.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2007 at 1:29am
My knob hurts my hands sometimes...

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2007 at 1:48am
That thing on the drill, looks like a polish sit and spin...
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2007 at 9:48am
Originally posted by Randy_in_Ohio Randy_in_Ohio wrote:

No, really I don't know what I would put there is I took it off, thought about putting a sticker or something over his name, I don't know...

You can get a new plate with your name on it. Just call Correct Craft.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2007 at 10:01am
Tim, I will have to look into that. Thanks
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2007 at 10:49am
Is that knob available in a ribbed version? being so shiny i would think your hand would slip right off
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2007 at 11:06am
No Eric, it does not come in a ribbed version. You just have to make sure you have a firm grip on your knob. And it would help if you wiped the lotion off your hand
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2007 at 8:39pm
Randy, do you recommend staining or painting your knob, or just coating with laquer? I was thinking of going black.

Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2007 at 8:53pm
Dude, I hope this isn't another knob joke... with racial undertones... I'm not going there

Seriously, I simply sanded mine down, wiped it off with mineral spirits, and sprayed it repeatedly with lacquer. Using the drill for the sanding and lacquer application made it real easy.
I thought of replacing it with an aluminum one but decided to keep it original.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2007 at 10:17pm
Hey Dude, where have you been? Ain't seen a Dude post in weeks. Thought maybe you Texas boys, you and J_I_H were hanging out somewhere else. Glad to see you back. Now we gotta find Jim.

Sorry about the knob jack...oppps....thread jack Randy

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2007 at 10:41pm
j, I've been swamped getting through Christmas and into the new year with budgetting and other stuff. Somehow I lost the energy to get on here. Tonight I finally felt like it and I'm glad I did because I found this post and some others...still going through them.

Spent yesterday and part of today polishing and waxing my boat. Also buffed the van and truck yesterday. I'm spent.

I saw in a post something about a reunion you're headed to this summer. Where is it and when?
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2007 at 10:45pm
Dude; JMurph (reported to be some sort of relative to the famous ReidP) has been talking about a Reunion to be hosted by Reid at Reid's home lake, Norman, in NC. Not sure if he has actually told Reid about it yet tho.

Glad you're back. All your vehicles must look good.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2007 at 3:22pm
Randy- curious, how did the finish on your throttle knob hold up this season?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2007 at 5:01pm
Brad,

My knob looks as good as the day I finished it!
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2007 at 5:35pm
Note to Hollywood - new quote sig available above
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2007 at 6:31pm
HAha I Almost forgot how amazing this thread is! awesome!

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2007 at 7:11pm
hey carp, there's a dough ball!
lefty
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2007 at 8:00pm
Randy Palmer, we missed you, Randy knobber,Handy Randy, your friends are bob and neal
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic