NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Debt

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23456 20>
Author
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2011 at 11:30am
I will take another Billy Clinton though
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2011 at 11:28am
Dave, as we bicker amongst ourselves, so do those a-holes in DC, its a stalemate, it got to big for its own good, Obama is a weak pres, just like Carter,(doing more good know than when he was CEO) but i watch these debates amongst the GOP and all they do is point, I want someone that is going to pop out from the group and grab the bull by its balls and squeeze, im past the boy who cried wolf. I just shake my head and gave both parties a chance, it really seems to me that its a mockery of what are founding fathers set out to do
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2011 at 11:20am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

is a dictatorship possible? this democracy thing aint working anymore

I would argue that the soft dictatorship we have been living under for the past 2 1/2 years isn't working. In fact, you can see what its doing to our country, and people are rejecting it. Its time to end this little experiement and put democracy back to work again. Its works everytime its tried.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2011 at 11:16am
is a dictatorship possible? this democracy thing aint working anymore
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2011 at 11:13am
we are the ambassadors of taking care of the poor, moreso oversea's than here, bomb rebuild, bomb rebuild, I dont know who came up with this theory,
im for offering woman federally, 5 grand if they get their tubes tied down in the innercity's of America, just think of the 25 year savings on that one, if they someday want to act like a productive citizen, than they can pay out of pocket to have it reversed????
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2011 at 11:10am
OOW....I am sure there are millions of people that truly don't want to be unemployed. And, that is very unfortunate. I feel for those people. Its too bad that companies like GE are moving jobs to China. You know GE right? Its the company headed up by Jeff Immelt who is Chair of Obama's Jobs Board. Tell me that one doesn't have some bad optics.

Employers aren't hiring right now because of our Dear Leaders policies. Its all about the high costs, and uncertainties associated with Obamacare, and other regulations his regime is putting into place. I think you will see employment start to increase once we have a new President and the old policies being repealed.

But, regarding "welfare for work", maybe it won't lead to massive new employment, BUT, don't you think that it will do some good? Instead of people not having to lift a finger to get a welfare check, they would at least have to get off their arses, get up in the morning, go to work, learn a skill, and learn how to work with others? Maybe that in turn will lead to the possibility of getting a job when the economy turns around. I fear though that for some in our society, its too late. They have become so accustomed to having the govt take care of them, they are now hopeless. They are the ones that are doing drugs, involved in crime, and have large numbers of illegitmate children because the government has taught them that they can get more $$$$ for each kid they have. Unintended consequences.....

Remind me again what is is about liberalism that is so wonderful???
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2011 at 11:05am
Seth, you didnt comment on the Newgate program that raises people out of poverty. You have said you hate monopolies, but the govt has a monopoly on welfare, and unemployment. They take the money at the threat of invading your homes with guns if you do not pay. I would rather choose to give money to innovative programs than a one fits all unsuccesfull govt plan. We have been fighting the war on poverty for over 60 years. It is by far the most expensive we have ever fought, the result. in total numbers there are far more in poverty now than when we started. In percentages we have the same in poverty now as we did when we started and there has been very little fluctuation o0ver the 60 years. We not only have not one the war, but we have yet to win a battle. This is what happens when you have a monopoly. the program is used to buy votes. It is not helping anyone rise out of the situation. You say there are people on welfare that would chose to get off it if they could. These are the people that would find something else if welfare were not there, it is just convienient and easy to collect the check. Another group will not get off till they are cut off, but we do not cut them off, so we will pay forever. It is broken system, that needs to be re-designed on a clean sheet of paper, probably in the private sector where people expect results.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2011 at 11:03am
now the next question, I know this, you know this, dont you think the guys with PHDs which we elect know this too?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2011 at 11:00am
"you dont have to go out and sell drugs, they sell themselves"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2011 at 10:55am
you rarely hear about the type of drugs people are on nowadays, I would bet 90% of the drugs people are on are prescribed drugs, not illegal, thats big business itself, so if you back up the clock why is this country so saturated with prescribed narcotics? down south here in ohio they have pain clinics set up, walk in walk out and you have a prescription for 90 oxys which go for about 50 bucks apiece on the streets. its a synthesized form of heroin. the only people supposedly that get these are cancer patients. when you cant get these then the user switches to heroin itself.
so when you talk about drug use in this country it originates here from professionals ie: doctors, guys that spend 8 years in college to obtain a degree, men who take a oath,
meth, also made here in the trailer parks of America, it really all boils down to the almighty greedy dollar, medicate the masses which happens to be the poor person in this country and profit.
so at the end of the day who is responsible?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2011 at 10:53am
Originally posted by ononewheel ononewheel wrote:

[Yeah, the idea of putting people to work for unemployment benefits and welfare has been floated around and it does seem to be gathering support.

I say it is a hell of an idea. Why not. I say many would benefit, and it just might help drag us out of this slump. I think many employers could use the help, especially those afraid to hire right now. I can only imagine the amount of people who would find a well paying job just because of this "program".

I still say many are unemployed, not because they want to be.

So what is standing in the way of welfare to work programs? Whenever they are proposed democrats argue till they are blue in the face that it is demeaning to expect welfare recipients to do manual work. What is the real reason they protest so loudly? Democrats are elected by union support, and the unions are paid union scale to clean parks and ditches and paint firehydrants ant they don't want anyone taking a cut of thier business, even though we have a group on payroll doing nothing.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

ononewheel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ononewheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2011 at 4:45am
Originally posted by davidg davidg wrote:

Well, did you read what I posted about the drug testing?   Are you just going to sweep what I said under the rug, and forget about it?

Ok, so we require them to do work. I agree with you!!

Except that about shoots the argument of government creating jobs right in the heart.

Yes, I read what you posted about drug testing. I heard the same results you did on MSNBC (yes, I watch MSNBC occasionally....when Fox News has a commercial on:). Maybe its true, maybe its not. Lets say it is. Even if its only 2% that test positive for drugs, I say they shouldnt get govt money if they are on drugs. As for the other 8%, the private sector will eventually take care of them.

And, as long as we are already paying people for doing nothing except staying home and having more kids to get more welfare, lets put them to work in the process. We will at least get some value for the money we are already spending, and maybe people will decide that IF they have to work anyway, maybe they will decide that welfare fraud is just not worth it, clean themselves up, and go get a real job.   

Yeah, the idea of putting people to work for unemployment benefits and welfare has been floated around and it does seem to be gathering support.

I say it is a hell of an idea. Why not. I say many would benefit, and it just might help drag us out of this slump. I think many employers could use the help, especially those afraid to hire right now. I can only imagine the amount of people who would find a well paying job just because of this "program".

I still say many are unemployed, not because they want to be.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ononewheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2011 at 4:39am
Originally posted by OverMyHead OverMyHead wrote:

Intuitively I would say there is something skewed in the drug testing numbers. Did they manditory test the general population to get the 8%? was thre warning of testing for either group? Not that it really matters, but something is not right.

Nah, the 8% figure came from the National Drug Council.

Probably a voluntary survey of all residents of Florida, poor, rich, old, young, welfare or not. Just reported use, not a test.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2011 at 3:49am
Heres a fun quote

Pro golfer Paul Azinger thinks President Obama might be hitting the links a bit too hard.

The author, businessman and 12-time PGA Tour winner took to Twitter Thursday to zing the commander-in-chief over his frequent golf outings while on vacation in Martha's Vineyard.

"Facts: Potus has played more golf this month than I have: I have created more jobs this month than he has," Azinger wrote.

1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2011 at 2:08am
Intuitively I would say there is something skewed in the drug testing numbers. Did they manditory test the general population to get the 8%? was thre warning of testing for either group? Not that it really matters, but something is not right.
1987 Ski Nautique

davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2011 at 12:45am

Well, did you read what I posted about the drug testing?   Are you just going to sweep what I said under the rug, and forget about it?

Except that about shoots the argument of government creating jobs right in the heart.

Yes, I read what you posted about drug testing. I heard the same results you did on MSNBC (yes, I watch MSNBC occasionally....when Fox News has a commercial on:). Maybe its true, maybe its not. Lets say it is. Even if its only 2% that test positive for drugs, I say they shouldnt get govt money if they are on drugs. As for the other 8%, the private sector will eventually take care of them.

And, as long as we are already paying people for doing nothing except staying home and having more kids to get more welfare, lets put them to work in the process. We will at least get some value for the money we are already spending, and maybe people will decide that IF they have to work anyway, maybe they will decide that welfare fraud is just not worth it, clean themselves up, and go get a real job.   
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ononewheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2011 at 12:25am
Drug testing is such crap anyway.

You can go to a Dr. ,pay a fee, and get anything you want right down at the corner Walgreens.

When I was recovering, my Dr. asked me several times, "what do you want uppers or downers?" He was a US military provider.

The guy that smokes a joint goes to jail. In reality, he went to jail because he forgot to pay the major medical companies and the gov. a tax on his homegrown.

Now, that I said that, I still do consider some drugs to be harmful. Many of them legal as well as illegal.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ononewheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2011 at 12:18am

davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2011 at 11:21pm
How about along with drug testing, we require people that get welfare to do work for it...ie...painting, cleaning, construction, etc. I bet you would see the welfare roles drop like a rock if people were required to work for that money. Wheres the incentive to be a productive member of society if we don't do these things?

Is this such a bad idea? Whats the harm here? Will it hurt peoples self esteem?
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ononewheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2011 at 10:58pm
Remember there were problems with regan too.

The horse is only half as good as having the carriage with the horse.

The economy had nowhere to go but up under Bush, and lowered taxes didn't help there.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2011 at 9:21pm

[That is an interesting article. Kinda what I thought before I even read it, Mr. Moore has been a supply side guru from day one.

Because that article leaves out so many details it can hardly be used to bolster support for "lowering taxes".   Anyone with an above average knowledge base in economics of any sort, articulate, and a forum for their particular ideology could do the exact same work Mr. Moore has done.   During these years the economy had nowhere to go but up, remember that.

I remember that the economy had no where to go but up throughout Carters administration also, it only turned after taxes and regulations where decreased and the economy was unleashed. Our current economy has no where to go but up but it is stagnant despite stimulaus after stimulus, how many times will se do the same thing over and over that does not work? Especially when we know what does!!!
1987 Ski Nautique

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ononewheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2011 at 7:18pm
Originally posted by 89Ski_Nautique 89Ski_Nautique wrote:

Good article by Stephen Moore, refer to the link below:

Obamanonics vs. Reaganomics

I agree whole heartly that "Reagan applied tax cuts and other policies that, yes, took the deficit to unchartered peacetime highs.
But that borrowing financed a remarkable and prolonged economic expansion and a victory against the Evil Empire in the Cold War. What exactly have Mr. Obama's deficits gotten us?"

Randy

That is an interesting article. Kinda what I thought before I even read it, Mr. Moore has been a supply side guru from day one.

Because that article leaves out so many details it can hardly be used to bolster support for "lowering taxes".   Anyone with an above average knowledge base in economics of any sort, articulate, and a forum for their particular ideology could do the exact same work Mr. Moore has done.   During these years the economy had nowhere to go but up, remember that.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ononewheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2011 at 6:42pm
Originally posted by skicat2001 skicat2001 wrote:

You are talking of poverty and you seem to worry about them quite a bit. I dont mind helping them folks out, our country is great like that. But what are half of welfare folks on, what do poor folks do when you flip em 5 at a light. You think they really have a agenda to get out of the poverty life. Hell no! Boozers, loosers, dont want to work anyways. When you give em the 5, straight to the store for booze or to the dealers house.

I think the next pubby that gets elected, fix this welfare crap. Everyone can get on it but high stipulations and DRUG TESTS to being on welfare. I guranntee that over half of peps on welfare are on the ***************g crak pipe when they are suppose to buy food, shoes, diapers for the babys but they dont care.

Excellent reply.

But unfortunately, gov. Rick Scott from Florida already tried tried this.

Here is the quick version, below I will post the links for your verification.

Scott is testing ALL Florida residents whom receive welfare.

1.2 Million Florida residents admit to illegal drug use in the past month. That is 8% of ALL Florida residents, welfare or not.

Since testing has started, 2% of residents on welfare have tested positive.

Here is the verification.

2% failing drug tests

8% drug use reported, Its on page 4, bottom

Hey, I really don't disagree with you about cancelling the checks of those that use drugs.

But it is not half of the poor, and the cost of testing everybody, far out weighs the cost of the 2% who fail and get benefits.
89Ski_Nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Ski_Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2011 at 6:28pm
Good article by Stephen Moore, refer to the link below:

Obamanonics vs. Reaganomics

I agree whole heartly that "Reagan applied tax cuts and other policies that, yes, took the deficit to unchartered peacetime highs.
But that borrowing financed a remarkable and prolonged economic expansion and a victory against the Evil Empire in the Cold War. What exactly have Mr. Obama's deficits gotten us?"

Randy
1989 Ski Nautique
Former Boats:
1988 Dominique
1993 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2011 at 10:56pm

I am a Marine, and I saw it everyday.

Thank you for your service, You are a great American.
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2011 at 10:53pm

Dave,

It used to work that way, it was called profit sharing. That isn't what the Verzion strike was all about but whatever.

....Hey, I just agreed with you. Don't get used to it.

Seth, I wont get used to it but it is kind of nice now and then.

Verizon has many divisions each has performance expectations, while Verizon is profitable overall they own some phone utilities that are old school wires on poles. The guys that maintain the lines are the ones with issues. Unfotunatly that particular industry is in decline. People are dumping hard wired phones for internet phone and cell service. Providers are having to drop prices to compete, and the infrastructure is aging and needing more repair. This is a dying industry. I would not be surprised if someone told me new developments will no longer be wired for telephone service in the near future. It can all be handled with cable, satalite and cell. It will take time but phone lines will likely go the way of the horse and buggy. Unfortunatly the jobs and money will go with them. I worked in a profitable division of a company that was losing money elsewhere, it is an injustice to have money taken from one division to prop up another on a long term basis. We would see facilities remodled and continue to loose money while we drove ambulances with 300+ thousand miles on them and were told there were no funds to replace them. Things change and that has consequences. Sometimes your job drops in value and pay and bennifits will have to reflect that.
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2011 at 10:39pm

These programs that lift the poor out of poverty?.....

One of many in Minnesota is a company called Newgate. A self supporting non-profit. They are a teaching facility, they take in donated cars, teach at risk inner city kids how to repair them,(the kids get paid while in the program) then they sell the repaired cars to working single moms at a significantly below market value. Way better than giving someone a welfare check to sit home doing nothing. We are always asking the rich to do more or do their share, why is it we cant ask the poor to better themselves in exchange for welfare. Why can't they clean parks, or work on each others homes, like habitat for humanity requires. If they dont want to learn and contribute they can take less.
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2011 at 2:24pm
when you dont give em money they show up at your door,
one on one, the figure is 3.6 trillion for a war on oil and we didnt get any, I havnt look at the casualty numbers either.
skicat2001 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2011 at 2:21pm

Ok, you own a business. Say you have an employee, and he is perfect in all ways. Several of your accounts go past due and the business is not paid. Now you cannot make payroll.

Should the employee get the pay cut to make up the difference in your projected profits?

No! You do, you are the owner, it is your neck not his.
His work was good, and he did what he was hired for.

I can though, see some instances where pay cuts are necessary to maintain employment. But arbitrarily, making large significant cuts, like in the case of Verizon, where there IS profit, no that is wrong.
I guess the way I ran my company was different, I gained more than my employees, because I had more of a risk. However, I was always able to make payroll. If I was slow for a month or two, I paid my help the same, even if that meant paying from my own pocket. Had that continued, yeah, I would have had to make a decision.

Hey, I just agreed with you. Don't get used to it.

If I owned a business oner, and costs go up such as my taxes, rent, insurance for employees etc and I am having trouble paying bills and payroll.

LAYOFF
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

skicat2001 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2011 at 2:16pm
You are talking of poverty and you seem to worry about them quite a bit. I dont mind helping them folks out, our country is great like that. But what are half of welfare folks on, what do poor folks do when you flip em 5 at a light. You think they really have a agenda to get out of the poverty life. Hell no! Boozers, loosers, dont want to work anyways. When you give em the 5, straight to the store for booze or to the dealers house.

I think the next pubby that gets elected, fix this welfare crap. Everyone can get on it but high stipulations and DRUG TESTS to being on welfare. I guranntee that over half of peps on welfare are on the ***************g crak pipe when they are suppose to buy food, shoes, diapers for the babys but they dont care.

1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23456 20>
  Share Topic