Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My dream boat

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Bremsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bremsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My dream boat
    Posted: May-01-2007 at 10:03pm
Wow, what an incredible find. Congratulations!! Looks like its been in a time capsule.

Couldn't help but notice the plates/location. My father has a place off perth/150 by the airport where I'm working on our 88. Maybe I'll see you around.

*edit, oops I was looking at reidp's diary page.
rudderdad View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rudderdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2007 at 7:15pm
NICE RIDE. I grew up with Nautiques in Arkansas. Where in Ark did you get it. I probably know owned it.
rudderdad
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2007 at 12:07pm
Looks like the picture was taken in 1986! Wow, great boat in fantastic shape. It's a keeper!!

Ken
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2007 at 10:05pm
sounds like you don't have to use that 355 after all. well atleast on the silver
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2007 at 8:39pm
Looked the engine over one more time , turned the key it started instantly!The r/w pump hose dripped and the carb fuel inlet dripped. Ran it for 30 min. off idle to about 2000 rpm(like a cam break in)oil 40-55psi kept checking the oil for water,oil is clear. H2O only got to 120*f (the water was pretty cold out of the hose).The engine water pump drips 6-8 drops per min. no mater the rpm.I'll probably r&r it. Retorqued the new ex.manifolds(warm).Very happy so far! Will do another 30 min penalty run tomorrow,change the oil hot and take a sample to analyze.If everthing checks good a water test is next!
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2007 at 9:51pm
sharp boat, someone took realy good care of it.
rleinen79 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rleinen79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2007 at 7:58pm
BEAUTIFUL!!!!   

Rob
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2007 at 5:58pm
very nice...love the silver and black....time for a silver and black comeback from correctcraft
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2007 at 9:53am
Thanks Reid -
Next time your in the east(for more than 30 mins.) we'll have to go to dinner at Deadwood in Bear Gra$$. I'll treat you all to a steak.
The bore scope is 20K - I had to ask! Got the exhaust manifolds on ,new plugs in.looking over the engine the alt. was mis-alined and the belt was "scrubing" on the side so I shimed the bracket .125 in, much better now.I'll charge the battery tonight, look it over one more time and hook-up the fake lake. Funny how a 86 never had the reg. # on the bow ?   
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

hasbeenskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2007 at 2:18am
Hey Dog, Nice sled. bj
hasbeenskier
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2007 at 11:08pm
Amazing how a boat that old can look brand new. Thanks Reid for the pics.

Cool talking to ya from the boat today....but did you miss a great time! The boat runs AWESOME!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
copcraft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote copcraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2007 at 11:04pm
Waterdog

Congrats on the great find! It looks like it's in great condition. Enjoy your new toy.

David
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2007 at 10:50pm
Well here it is!! I was conveniently able to venture out to meet Waterdog (Andy) yesterday while on the way to a nearby family function. And boy did he pick up a sweet boat!! Andy is a super guy by the way also, with all kinds of neat engines and tractors and other cool things that guys like to check out. But check out these picts in the meantime, which by the way don't do the boat justice. It looks like maybe a two year old boat with the minimal hours to support it. Congrats again Andy and I look forward to seeing this thing run this summer.

ReidP
1973 Mustang

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2007 at 8:48pm
I guess it's what you expect to get out of it if you ever want to sell it. And how ong you plane on keep it.

If you keep it nice and want top dollar then you need the orginal motor, if you are keeping it till you die then swap engines.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2007 at 7:52pm
you guys gotta remember besides the guys on this site there are 10 fold that dont have a clue what engine they have in thier boat let alone the difference between a 351 and 350, in some respect it would hurt the value and in another it wont hurt it at all......................just as long as it says Correct Craft on it
"the things you own will start to own you"
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2007 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

I second leaving the silver a 351, I don't hesitate switching out engines in most boats but you lose any premium a silver nautique would bring over a standard 2001 if you stray from original.

This is just pure speculation but I'd have to imagine that the amount of people shopping for 2001's that would pay a substantial premium for a Silver Nautique is pretty small. I'd say it would be rare to find hardly anyone who isn't a CCFan regular who would even care about its collectibility. It's an awesome boat, don't get me wrong, but I wouldn't let the Silver status get in the way of swapping out engines. It's just a mechanical change- it's not like you're cutting in an open bow or putting a tower on it. What "makes" it a Silver Nautique is not the engine, but the hull/interior/appointments. It's not like a Grand National where the powerplant is a key attribute of the collectibility of the car.
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2007 at 2:36pm
A GM engine wasn't even an option in a Silver?
ReidP
1973 Mustang

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2007 at 2:26pm
I second leaving the silver a 351, I don't hesitate switching out engines in most boats but you lose any premium a silver nautique would bring over a standard 2001 if you stray from original.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2007 at 11:24am
79 -
I've got a 7mm fiber optic bore scope for the weekend.Can't wait to get home. One of my jobs at work is aircraft oil analysis I'm starting a wear trend with the 1st engine warm up!
If any CC Fans want I can do the same for you guys. It's cool to track engine wear throu it's life cycle!    
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2007 at 10:02am
waterdog the silver natique's motor should be all right, get it up and running right. Install the 355 in the tique and sell it or take reid's suggestion of harboring. Just don't install a motor in the silver that was never available.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2007 at 10:36pm
Originally posted by SkiBum SkiBum wrote:

I told my wife I was going to fix a soft spot in the floor of our boat.

Yeah and I told my wife the engine needed "a little freshening up"
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2007 at 10:23pm
Speaking of wives, there is a boat show in KC this weekend-- and Mrs. Lake is very nervous, she need not be, no old boats will be there.

But Reid, that is showing some real creativity.

Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2007 at 10:23pm
John, 3/9(Friday) we're picking up a camper in Hobe Sound (just north of West Palm) and dragging it on down to leave it at north Key West (MM-10). Why don't you jump on the bike and head on down? I know you wanted to check out this really cool campsite. MM, Eddie, Chris, ??. We're coming back on Sunday. Whirlwind.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2007 at 9:50pm
I told my wife I was going to fix a soft spot in the floor of our boat. That was two months ago. Now she cannot understand why I have to flip it upside down before I can put it back together. Wives expect their husbands to do things like that. At least you didn't bring home a girl you met while you were on TDY!
Bill
http://www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks
www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks 1987 SN Rebuild Project
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2007 at 9:48pm
We all might get busted on this. Whenever mrsjbear catches me looking at boats on the web I always say "I am looking for Reid" and she buys it.

john

Reid: Did I read on here somewhere that you are coming back down here?
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2007 at 9:40pm
Waterdog, just tell the wife you sold the Tique to me (she'll believe that, right?) and that i want you to keep it out East for me so I can come use it when I get out to Washington(NC) there to see my buds. It's a technique I picked up from Nautique Frk, and have used it on my wife many a time. He calls it harboring a fugitive. But I've sorta worn it out I guess, 'cause anymore whenever I bring a boat home she just rolls her eyes and asks, ".....and whose boat is this?"
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2007 at 9:03pm
I know ,I know. This is a nice chevy & I'm not brand loyal.My Pop retired from GM ,my sister is an exc.@ Ford world headquaters & my youngest bro is an engineer at D-C
I'll never get the engine cash back selling it in the ski-tique thou.
But if I TRIED to keep both boats,I'd have to sell them both to pay the divorce lawyer!
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2007 at 7:20pm
well what you don't want to do is remove the 351 and install the 355 in a limited production boat you will just kill the value. Re-build the orginal motor if you have too. Personelly you should be all right fix the exhaust manifolds and re-build the carb and use it.
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2007 at 7:06pm
79 -
I pulled all the plugs before the comp check,they were dry but rich (black carbon)I'll get a fiber optic bore scope for the weekend to inspect the cyl walls.
The tranny - good catch!
I've got a nice 300 hp 355 chevy in the garage trans bolted up and all - that WAS going in my ski-tique , but now ??? The ski-tique is for sale in some combination.The plan was to keep it - till the dream boat came along.What to do , what to do ???
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2007 at 6:11pm
the manifolds can be the cause, but a rebuild is going to be in the near future due to rusting on the inside of the block from the water that was in there. For now makesure there's no water or fluids in the cyclinders, pull the plugs crank it over and it'll push it out if there is any. install the manifolds let it get good and hot to dry out the moisture from inside the block and en joy till it pucks, The damage is all ready done so your really not going to make it any worse, keep an eye on the temp and oil pressure gauges and check the oil for signs of water. Don't foeget to check out the tranny as well.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic