NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Abandoned Mustang Project - Need Advice

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2005 at 12:57am
I offered them $400 for the boat, plus I would do all the legwork to get the title work down. The guy I talked to said he thought we could work something out, but that he had to check with his boss. That was last Friday. He said he'd get back to me Monday or Tuesday, but hasn't. I'm going to head over there tomorrow and see if I can't catch up with him. I've still got my fingers crossed.
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2005 at 1:49pm
We wish you luck. We have a 72 mustang and is a fun boat ...if you get it for less than a grand ... you will have done real well!
The gel cracks are no big deal...however any exposed fiberglass needs to be sealed so water is not absorbed...not hard to do! Good luck!!!
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2005 at 8:22pm
This is going to take a while. The marina is willing to work things out, but it's not their highest priority. This is where I need to be patient and ready to buy them some suds!
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2005 at 11:59pm
dchris; what's up on the Mustang? Did you get it? Hope so!
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2005 at 2:23am
Still working it out. The marina says they want to do it, but they've had some unrelated trauma in the past week that has left me as a low priority. I'm going to keep following up though. I still think it's going to work out.
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2005 at 1:09am
I think the marina is playing games with me. One of the mechanics there says he is going to get the title and restore it himself. I'm going to wait and see if he actually does anything with it, then bring it up again in a few months. I bet it just continues to sit there.
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2005 at 1:15am
Dchris17...just take the cash to them and take it home!
Title...can't you purchase it with out title and   apply for for title in your state?
stang

The Super Air

dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2005 at 1:19am
I don't think so. I believe we have to go through a mechanic's lien process. That's what the people at the BMV have told me anyhow. I suppose I could try that though. It would be best if I could just find the owners and get the title from them.
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2005 at 12:40pm
Check with the State Dept...or governing body to do a title search..Maybe you can deal with the owners who abondonded it.
stang

The Super Air

dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2005 at 1:22am
I got a lucky break. I had overheard the marina manager mention the last name of the owner, so I did a search on the internet. It's a pretty common name, so I was skeptical. Found him on the second call! He said I could have the boat if I squared him up with the marina. I'll update the post tomorrow after I talk to the marina again.
6strings View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6strings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2005 at 1:03pm
Dchris17,

I saw a mention about "Indy" on an earlier reply. Just wanted to let you know that if you're in Indiana, there is a cutoff on boats that require a title. Anything before a certain year (can't remember) just has registration and no title is needed. My 77 was that way. All I needed was a receipt from the previous owner. I did have to title the trailer. That entailed a police check, etc.

Anyway, good luck!

Walt
dchris17 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2005 at 4:30pm
Got the boat. $700
nautique frk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2005 at 7:30pm
Congrats , want to sell it an double your $$
$1500.00
email me michaelt@westmarine.com
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2005 at 7:47pm
Good job... now you can see if you can get it running....lots of help support here!
stang

The Super Air

dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2005 at 9:08pm
Thanks for the offer, nautiquefrk, but I think I'm going to hang on to this one.

I'm optimistic that it's going to run - I found the owner and got the history on the boat. His dad bought it new in 1973 and they've kept it in Morse Reservoir (where I found it). They had it winterized at the end of the '99 season and it's been sitting there ever since.

Finally, I can actually post something in the diary section!
JEFF KOSTIS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2005 at 12:01am
So the boat is a 73? If I recall, it looked newer than that. Good luck on that!! You will love it! We love ours. They are a "sporty" looking boat!
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2005 at 12:05am
I just read your other post and see its actually a 74. That is a awesome year cause its the first year of that design. Does yours have the ign key to the far right??
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2005 at 12:05am
Sorry - it's a 74. Not sure what I was thinking. It has only 390 hours on it. I can't wait to get it out on the water, but it probably won't get wet till next year. I've got a good bit of gel coat work to do before I put it in.
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2005 at 12:09am
Jeff,
How did the design change from 73 to 74? Is it just longer? I think the key is on the far right, but I haven't got the boat home yet.

I'm totally pumped. This is going to be fun.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2005 at 12:51am
In 74 was the first year they offered a 16 and 17 ft Mustang. The interior and hull design is totally different. The nose is is not as blunt. That hull design is the same though the years ahead, and the similar in design as other models. In either 75 or 76 (not sure) they added a split front winshield at the bottom for the vents. Also the windshield frames were silver, where in 77 (I think) they went to black. No question that boats of that era were by far the best looking. Wait till you get her running and in the water and tell me if she aint sweet!!
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2005 at 1:14am
dchris; Congrats! We've been watching this thread for a while, hoping you would get the boat. What a great story it'll make when you're done. It was great luck finding the original owner. Keep us posted with pics of your progress..............jbear
nautique frk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2005 at 12:14pm
David , No worries on the offer , I am happy for you on getting the boat . I have a 1979 Mustang 17 which I love . I think that you will get a lot of pleasure with this boat .
I hope you keep it original , I hate to see classic Correct crafts with Wakeboard towers bolted to the deck and the ring on the plyon sawed off with a hacksaw , There are pins that can be punched out if you want to use a exended pylon . The boat has no fins so if you cut hard , you can pull it around a bit .
Can't wait to see more pics on the site of your boat .
Good Luck ,
     Mike
Mustang View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2005 at 1:05pm
Dchris17

I am from Muncie Indiana and was the owner of a 1979 Mustang from 1991 until 2002. You will love this boat! I sold mine a few years ago due to family size....I needed something bigger and I now miss the old boat every time I am out.   Long story short....the reason I am writing is regarding your gel coat repair. There is a place here in Indiana that is one of the #1 gel coat repair locations in the mid west and they are also an authorized CC repair locaiton.

Last year we took my grandfather's boat there...it was pretty rough on the outside and 2000-3000.00 made it look like new again!.....new graphics and everything! This price also included some stringer repair. From the looks of your boat it would probably not even cost this much.

The name of this place is Harmon Boats. They just recently opened a new repair facility in Cicero near the lake you have found this boat on. I believe that they are in the back half of a new Malibu or Moomba dealer that just opened in the last few years ( on 19 I think).

The contact information for harmon boats is as follows:

Harmon Boats Fiberglass (CC recommended fiberglass repair location)
596 W Meridian St.
Sharpsville, IN 46068 (former address / now located in Cicero)
1-877-426-2879
www.harmonboats.com

Steve Scott (Harmon Boat Owner) Cell: 765-432-1779

These guys give free est. and will transport the boat for you.

If you need Interior repair I would recommend the following: This guy done a complete interior for a friends CC and was really nice and really reasonable:

Ron Parker
Alexandria, IN
765-724-9444

If you need any other parts here are some locations I found in central IN that helped keep my Mustang running:

Delaware Propeller (This is the shop that every marina in the mid-west sends repairs to)
1717 N. Walnut Street
Muncie, IN
765-284-1539

Mid-west Correct Craft (Regional CC headquarters)
4340 West Orlando Road
Angola, IN 46703
260-833-2226
http://www.nautique.com/

Gary Oliver Boat Parts (Personal Friend / Former CC dealer) (A great source).
8500 Lincolnshire Drive
Yorktown, IN
765-759-2294 (Home)

MD Boats (Indianapolis CC dealer)
5153 E 65th Street
Indianapolis, IN
317-257-7358

Aqua Marine of Anderson
1115 Alex Pike
Anderson, IN
765-643-9944

B&B Sandblasting (sandblasted / epoxy primed / painted the boat trailer)
305 E Fuson Road
Muncie, IN
765-287-0198

my personal email is sshepher@tts.bwauto.com

email me some time and I will send you a copy of other items you might find useful.

You will find a picture of my former mustang in the diary section. It is a red and white 1979 with a long story attached.

You have received a remarkable gift! I sold my Mustang for 6,900.00 two years ago....this was 900.00 more than I paid for it in 1991!

Good Luck!

Scott

Mustang View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2005 at 7:33pm
There is a nice correct craft trailer on ebay today....it is located in OHIO

Here is the item number of the sale on ebay

dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2005 at 8:56pm
Wow, Scott, thanks for all that info. This will be very helpful over the next few months.

I'm not sure where I'm going to go with the restore. I might stick with the original look, but I'm torn. I really prefer a tower over a pylon, but it feels kind of like a sacrilege to do that. I will promise not to cut the pylon off.
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2005 at 1:41am
The pylon is as good as a tower in terms of performance(getting air)...easy to put on and take off...and no modification to the boat!It's cool to keep the orininal look!
Again...way to go on that deal!!!
stang

The Super Air

bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2005 at 1:43am
Originally posted by stang72 stang72 wrote:

The pylon is as good as a tower in terms of performance(getting air)...easy to put on and take off...and no modification to the boat!It's cool to keep the orininal look!
Again...way to go on that deal!!!

Absolutely. The best part about the tower however, is getting all your stuff up into rack and out of your way. Tough call.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2005 at 2:06am
Don't think I have not thought about it! That board rack stuff is killer! Certainly a tough call...I can't bear to see drilling into the deck...ouch!
stang

The Super Air

dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2005 at 10:10pm
I know there are board racks you can mount on pylons... maybe I'll think about that.
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2005 at 2:39am
Might be the way to go!!!And keep the boat free from modifications!
stang

The Super Air

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic