NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1967 Nautique Interceptor

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
Author
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2011 at 1:54pm
Id opt for the 390- like you said, there are no visual differences. The 38 extra cubes would be nice to have!

I believe even Pete (Mr. Original) and the ACBS are ok with non-visual internal engine modifications.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2011 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Id opt for the 390- like you said, there are no visual differences. The 38 extra cubes would be nice to have!

I believe even Pete (Mr. Original) and the ACBS are ok with non-visual internal engine modifications.

I'll confirm what Tim says. Yes, it's cool with the ACBS as it's really the outside appearance that the judges look at. A 289 to 350 SBC/Chris is a very commom rebuild/up grade to more power.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2011 at 2:23pm
I'd stick with the 390, also. The 352 is the lesser popular engine of the FE series. They all look the same. If it needs rebuilding and it is a LH rotation, I'd convert it to RH as that is what it would origonally had. If it doesn't need rebuilding, I'd run it as it is.

As far as the purists go, unless you let someone pull a plug and measure the stroke, they're not going to be able to tell what it is anyway and would be inclined to believe you, if that was important to someone.
TX Wind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2011 at 3:45pm
I think that's all good advice. I actually did find a complete 352 Interceptor that was put away and pickled in running condition. It is a LH rotation but from the digging I have done this was not really uncommon with the FE block as many of them were being outfitted into the larger twins. That meant the RH rotation was quite limited to come by even for the factory at the time. I will probably live with what I got and go from there. The rest is splitting hairs. If I have a LH rotation that can always be remedied some other time. The important thing is as you said to get it on the water. In these boats even ugly is still cool. So we may roll ugly this summer and look to the winter for improvements. I appreciate the reassurance on the 390 Pete.

That being said....the guy wants like 500 bucks for a complete 352....It's up there above the Mason Dixon line if anyone is interested.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2011 at 4:16pm
TX, I think if we had better records, from CC ,we would see a lot more L/H installations than we were led to believe.
If there was a price break to boat builders for buying a "matched pair" of engines , that alone, is reason enough for the lefty that came in my boat.
The rest of your post I totaly agree with, Run it.........Boat dr
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2011 at 7:40pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I'll confirm what Tim says. Yes, it's cool with the ACBS as it's really the outside appearance that the judges look at. A 289 to 350 SBC/Chris is a very commom rebuild/up grade to more power.

Ooooohhhhh... so it is only SURFACE deep? I feel so cheap....

btw... its a 283 not 289...
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2011 at 8:13pm
Originally posted by 62 wood 62 wood wrote:

Ooooohhhhh... so it is only SURFACE deep? I feel so cheap....

I feel sorry for Pam.

Originally posted by 62 wood 62 wood wrote:

btw... its a 283 not 289...

Opps!! Thanks for the correction!! I just don't remember things like I used too! I'm surprised you did!    

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2011 at 8:14pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

isn´t the sbc supposed to be 283? 289 sounds like a SBF number...

EDIT: jaja answered....didn´t get to the end of the post. Not usual to see Pete get corrected...lol
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
TX Wind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2011 at 10:27pm
The verdict is in. She's a lefty. Possibly she was re-propped, I'm not sure. I'm researching that now. Could be like you Doc. Could be a lefty.

Just a shot in the dark here....but something tells me this ain't factory.
TX Wind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2011 at 3:28pm
Okay, we got her started this weekend. Pops off nice but needs a new carb. I have a 2 barrel from a 351 Merc. that should do the trick for now. Gotta put the freeze plugs back in and get rid of that gosh awful gold color on the engine. I have some issue with the stringers and was looking for a little advice.

They will need to be replaced this winter for sure but just wondering if it's reasonable to brace them up with angle to get through the season?
ky82sn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ky82sn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2011 at 7:56pm
TX,
That's an awesome sound when you first fire them up. My 66 CC AT Skier has a Buick 300, 202 HP and it fired on the first hit after not running for three years. I was surprised. Glad yours fired. Why do you think you need a new carb?
Jerry
1982 ski nautique
1966 Al Tyll Skier
TX Wind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2011 at 8:23pm
Jerry, you'd just have to see it to understand. Probably a miracle that it fired with it on there.
ky82sn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ky82sn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2011 at 9:33pm
copied that.
1982 ski nautique
1966 Al Tyll Skier
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2011 at 9:35pm
Originally posted by TX Wind TX Wind wrote:

Thanks everyone for the hospitality. I drove 2000 miles through 2 snow storms and 4 thunderstorms in 2 days for this boat. Woulda been quicker if I hadn't stopped in Nashville to see my cousin who insisted on going through a half gallon of Jack (there's something akin to dedication in there). When I left TX it was 85 degrees so I was in my shorts and flip flops when I got to Indiana where it was snowing. The stringers are not the best but hey...this is a first gen big block. It has to be restored all the way to the sea foam green. This is my first Correct Craft. I am about 70% of the way through an 85 Mastercraft and I am loving it. I plan to spend a great deal of time on restoring this Correct Craft. I want it to be right.

So does anyone know just how many Nautiques were built in 1967?

Would I be out of line asking that you post some pics and commentary of your MC rebuild in the OFF TOPIC Forum section? I'd be interested in seeing your boat and work. Of course, I'm interested in following your work on this one too, but an 85 MC S&S is a sweet boat too. Is it a power slot S&S?
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
TX Wind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2011 at 9:49pm
Steve,

My friends keep getting on me about taking pics of the M.C. It's not really a 100 point type of restoration. The gel has some knicks and dings from use. Some aftermarket stuff was used and so on. The real point was to get it back into operation. I was about to send it in for interior when I bought this boat so there is a cash flow setback. No stringer work is necesarry on these boats. All fiberglass floors from the factory. But it's looking pretty good so far. I will see about doing just that. I agree. The Mastercraft S&S is a classic.
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2011 at 9:52pm

Steve,

My friends keep getting on me about taking pics of the M.C. It's not really a 100 point type of restoration. The gel has some knicks and dings from use. Some aftermarket stuff was used and so on. The real point was to get it back into operation. I was about to send it in for interior when I bought this boat so there is a cash flow setback. No stringer work is necesarry on these boats. All fiberglass floors from the factory. But it's looking pretty good so far. I will see about doing just that. I agree. The Mastercraft S&S is a classic.

Well, that would be cool. I asked my question b/c I'm not sure others on here would be interested in seeing it on this site as this is a CC site and there are MC sites out there (or at least one). This site, however, is different. More mature crowd. Interested in classic boat restoration moreso than stereos and ballast placement (not that there's anything wrong with that).

I just like the mid 80s tournament boats, especially CC and MC. I'd love to see your work and if i didn't say it earlier, "welcome to the club"
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
TX Wind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2011 at 9:56pm
Well...like I said Steve. Not really putting the love and muscle in it to make it a show stopper. I want to use it. So I am sure it will evolve. But she is coming along nicely. Bump starts with ease. A long way from perfect but close to ski worthy.

I will post something in off topic and they can scream at me if they don't like it.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2011 at 11:52pm

I will post something in off topic and they can scream at me if they don't like it.

I dont think you will get too much flack in the off topic area(a joke or two,maybe ). There have been some other brand x "classic inboards" in there...

...Some of us own other brands besides Correct Craft. Go for it!

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2011 at 2:08am
TX, air your dirty laundry here, we will still let you play...
TX Wind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2011 at 2:45am
Well not too dirty Doc. I believe CC is a very high quality boat but then so is Mastercraft. You could do a lot worse. I could have used that other M word. What's it called? Moombo Jumbo or something like that?
TX Wind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2011 at 4:38am

Well I couldn't stand that gold paint so I decided to clean her up a bit. Glad I did. It's amazing how much you start to find and understand as you tear into things. Looks like this engine came out of a truck. It's a bit of a Frankenstein but it runs, I had to replace the carb. Just so happens I had a two barrel Rochester off of a Mercruiser hangin around the original Interceptor had a 4V. Now I need an alternator, distributor, starter, and fuel pump. Currently has automotive version of these. Go figure. OH...and the boat was repropped for the lefty engine. Sorry Billy.
Anybody recognize these exhaust manifolds or know who made them?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2011 at 9:36am
Jeff,
Those are Interceptor manifolds. They made them for a very short time but had problems with keeping them sealed up. They are fabbed up using aluminum extrusions.

BTW, try downsizing your pictures so they fit the page. Many (including myself) find it hard to see the complete picture having to scroll left to right.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2011 at 9:42am
My 68 manual shows those manifolds.
TX Wind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2011 at 2:54pm
Sorry Pete. I checked in the preview and it looked fine. So what you're saying is these Manifolds would be damn hard to replace?

Bruce, do you think you could put your 68 manual online in the Reference section? And let me know on that ignition if you will.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2011 at 4:32pm
Jeff, I'll send the manual to Keith when I get a chance to scan it.
TX Wind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2011 at 9:54pm
Bruce, is that your 427 he's got on the web site?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2011 at 10:44pm
I doubt it. Bruce does not have a big enough tree for a 427

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2011 at 10:56pm
Jeff, it's my sons.

Gary, we're constantly updating. We increased the capacity so it'll handle a Y block and with a little more work, Im sure we can hang an FE from it.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2011 at 10:59pm

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2011 at 11:04pm
I saw this one on TV once, The guy in front of the boat yells" Hey Bubba watch this"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
  Share Topic