NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help! Runs like crap when warm!

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
delovett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote delovett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help! Runs like crap when warm!
    Posted: July-28-2013 at 11:49pm
Hi guys,

Been a slow start to the boating season for me. 1973 with a 351 PCM.

After a few good trips, our last couple have been bunk. we have had an issue where the boat runs great at first (starts right up, smooth acceleration, full power) but after a little while on the water and a few runs, things go down hill. The boat will either stall or stumble out of the hole and will eventually get to a point where it will run rough and the revs will cap out at around 2500 rpm. After cooling off, things are back to normal.

We had it in to a shop after the first bad trip where they replaced the cap (apparently the wrong cap was on there), tinkered with the timing and replaced a few resistors. We had her out again today, and bam, same problem. Huge piss off.

Boat always starts without issues, even when it is running poorly, and idles well. It just doesn't like to be revved or put under any sort of load.

Any advice is appreciated!

Derek
1973 Nautique 351
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2013 at 12:44pm
There seems to be a string of coil problems lately. Search the site and you'll see a few threads.

Yours sounds like a classic case. What happens is the coil overheats and starts performing badly. Most typically say an oil filled coil laying on it's side will cause you problems.

I'd get an epoxy filled one. See if Zach at N3 Boatworks (Banner above) can get one for you. If not Skidim etc. will have it.

I think Snobsessed recommends the Blaster 2 Epoxy filled coil as a good reliable one.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2013 at 2:48pm
We've been battling the same problems with Pat's 84 although it won't start after it dies.

Replaced the coil a few weeks ago when it happened and that seemed to solve the problem but it happened again when we got back from GL. Going to replace the resistor and see what happens.

Zach and I are thinking the same as Brian. Coil (new) gets hot and fails due to too much current from the resistor. If that doesn't solve the problem I'll get in another boat and go
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2013 at 3:43pm
Chris has the luxury of parking a boat and getting in another if need be ;)
delovett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote delovett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2013 at 3:53pm
My alternative is a 12 ft alumnium with an 8 hp outboard. Might be able to drag a kid around on a knee board   
1973 Nautique 351
delovett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote delovett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2013 at 2:10am
Going to try replacing the coil (can't hurt, the one in there is old).

I have a breakerless setup, and it looks like the resistor is still there.

Could this be part of the issue? Or would the resistor be a non factor?

Opinion on the MSD 8222? (epoxy filled)
1973 Nautique 351
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2013 at 1:27pm
The resister could be a factor. But usually these problems occur when the resister is taken out of the loop after a breakerless conversion etc. Are you sure the coil/dizzy is wired through the resister, or is it just hanging out?

How long ago was the breaker-less conversion done? Has it ever run good since? What brand conversion kit did you use?
delovett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote delovett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2013 at 1:51pm
Conversion was done before I owned it and the resistor is wired in.

Boat has run strong up until this point.
1973 Nautique 351
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2013 at 1:58pm
Resistors can go bad. Buy yourself a multimeter and check input and output voltage.
delovett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote delovett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2013 at 2:14pm
Have a meter. Before googling, what reading am I looking for on either side?
1973 Nautique 351
diggit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote diggit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2013 at 6:45pm
I had the exact same running conditions you describe and in my case I eventually discovered I had no ballast resistor in the circuit. Wired one in and it's been golden ever since.

They're cheap so might be worth just replacing it.
'93 Ski Nautique Black/Teal
'77 Ski Nautique. Loved it. Let it Go.
delovett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote delovett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2013 at 1:15am
UPDATE: Replaced the coil with an MSD 8222. Had to wait for the matching resistor. Ran it with just the new coil, same thing.

Added the MSD 8124 resistor...ran better, but same thing.

I then realized that the ignition wire was running right to the + on the coil. Moved that down to the resistor and had a great afternoon on the water today. Also some of the rng terminals were looking like they had seen better days, so I replaced those as well.

I think I have this figured out!
1973 Nautique 351
delovett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote delovett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2013 at 1:19am
One more question...The red wire from the dizzy is still straight to the coil...should this run through the resistor as well?
1973 Nautique 351
boardersdad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boardersdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2013 at 2:18am
Hmmm, if you mentioned the name of the ignition conversion, I missed it.

With the Mallory "Magnetic Breakerless Ignition Module", the answer is no. That red wire should not be fed through the resistor. Here's the figure from the Mallory installation instructions. They show it going to the ignition side of the resistor, but the point is, it needs a 12V ignition feed.

delovett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote delovett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2013 at 2:26am
Def not a Mallory....I'm guessing (because I didn't install it) that its a PerTronix.

If I have it directly to the coil, it is getting the reduced voltage, correct?

Just not sure if it needs to full 12V or not.
1973 Nautique 351

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boardersdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2013 at 2:43am
I think it still needs 12V. See "Ignitor 12 V negative ground" on the Pertronix Installation Manuals page.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boardersdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2013 at 2:46am
> "If I have it directly to the coil, it is getting the reduced voltage, correct?"

Yes, and that's not what the diagrams show.

You need to identify the make and model to confirm all of this, though.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2013 at 12:38pm
As far as I am aware every electronic ignition conversion needs a full 12v feed to the distributor hot wire to operate properly.

gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2013 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

As far as I am aware every electronic ignition conversion needs a full 12v feed to the distributor hot wire to operate properly.

Zach the old prestolite? only had two wires purple and black. Purple to the + side black to the - side.
If you run a resistive coil remove the ballast resistor if your coil is non-resistor you need to run the ballast resistor.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2013 at 3:04pm
Paul, The old ones ran the purple as a resisted feed? Now that you mention it that 82 we just tuned did have a purple wire coming from the distributor.

Above he was talking about how he installed the resistor that MSD provided?? Then also ran the regular resister too? Sounds funny.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2013 at 3:08pm
Originally posted by delovett delovett wrote:

UPDATE: Replaced the coil with an MSD 8222. Had to wait for the matching resistor. Ran it with just the new coil, same thing.

Added the MSD 8124 resistor...ran better, but same thing.

I then realized that the ignition wire was running right to the + on the coil. Moved that down to the resistor and had a great afternoon on the water today. Also some of the rng terminals were looking like they had seen better days, so I replaced those as well.

I think I have this figured out!
delovett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote delovett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2013 at 3:16pm
Only one resistor (the MSD one). Used it to replace the old one.

Right now I have ignition, alt and choke to the hot side of the resistor. From that, one wire to the positive side of the coil. From the dizzy, red wire to the positive on teh coil, black to the negative.
1973 Nautique 351
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2013 at 3:33pm
Ahhh gotcha I wasn't reading everything correctly! Good deal.
mousecreek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mousecreek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2013 at 11:48am
Don't overlook the fuel filter. Replacing the fuel filter resolved identical issues for my 79 SN.
jblocal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jblocal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2013 at 1:00am
Ok so I'm a little confused on the Mallory wiring. For a year I been running my Mallory distrib with no resistor. My coil that came with the Mallory distributor from ski dim says no external resistor required right on it. The wiring diagram here shows the coil + going to resistor side. So do I use resistor even though it says no external resistor required on coil?
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2013 at 6:23am
This is from the Mallory website, instructions for Unilite electronic dizzy:

IMPORTANT
Before installing the UNILITE® Distributor, make sure that your vehicle is equipped with an ignition ballast resistor (or loom
resistance wire) in the wire between the ignition switch and the coil (+) terminal. Check a service manual for your vehicle to
locate the ignition ballast resistor (or loom resistance wire). If your vehicle is not equipped with an ignition ballast resistor,
install a Mallory Ignition Ballast Resistor Part No. 700 in the wire between the ignition switch and the coil (+) terminal. Failure
to use an ignition ballast resistor will eventually destroy the UNILITE ® Ignition Module.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2013 at 9:41am
Originally posted by jblocal jblocal wrote:

Ok so I'm a little confused on the Mallory wiring. For a year I been running my Mallory distrib with no resistor. My coil that came with the Mallory distributor from ski dim says no external resistor required right on it. The wiring diagram here shows the coil + going to resistor side. So do I use resistor even though it says no external resistor required on coil?

The important question is how does it run? If it runs well and doesn't give you any problems I'd tend to leave it alone.

phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2013 at 9:52am
I like Points . But really I was always under the impression the red wire on a Mallory was 12v (it being red). Apparently not. Makes more sense for an easy hookup on a points conversion not having to change anything about the setup. I should make PCM supply instructions with the new distributors.

Now that I sit here and think about it all of the conversion kits for the protec boats I believe come with a ballast resistor. I will have to check and confirm that.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boardersdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2013 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

But really I was always under the impression the red wire on a Mallory was 12v (it being red). Apparently not.

It is 12V. It's too easy to misread the Mallory diagram the way they show it. The red wire to the Mallory distributor wire harness is wired to the 12V ignition switch side of the ballast resistor. The diagram shows it connected at the pole on the resistor, which is apparently confusing (I had to look twice when I first read the diagram).

Georges82 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Georges82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2013 at 2:44pm
I have to jump in on this topic because I have the same coil overheating problem with my 1982 SN 2001. I have been reading a lot of posts about different issues that have helped me a lot.
I have resolved several ignition issues and finally decided to install a Mallory Unilite I got from Summit racing. I also bought a coil they suggested. The coil was #29217, oil filled with 1.4 ohm resistance, and it said NOT to use a ballast resister. The dizzy instructions plainly said to use a ballast resistor, so I called their tech support and they told me that a coil with 1.4 ohms or more of resistance does not need an external resistor. They told me to take it out of the system. So here I am, first trip to the lake, boat runs great, no hard starting issues, no idle issues, everything is good for about 35 min. when it starts missing and dies, wont start, paddle to dock (again). Take boat home, still wont start, put in spare coil I had at home and boom, starts right up.

So I guess my question is what coil to use. I could not find a blaster 2 epoxy filled coil on the MSD web site. I found a epoxy filled blaster with .07 ohms resistance, which I believe would require an external resistor.
Is this the one that SNobsessed is talking about?

Before I got the Mallory Unilite I had a Pertonix igniter II with a flame thrower II coil and that coil cracked at the tower and left me paddeling after about 45 min of running.

Thanks for the help
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic