Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

ProTec Ignition Swap

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
rosconole View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosconole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2014 at 2:34am
dude your black spark arrestor cover is missing.. did it catch on fire??

5.00 for timing tape...http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-163594?seid=srese1&gclid=Cj0KEQjw06GfBRCR9tDI4t6n5_MBEiQAFo6kuLzyOJkGoTRKxe6VIhr0nHaniyH_d8nu-PJ8vvS6ghYaAhyH8P8HAQ
1989 ski nautique ,1991 barefoot nautique, 1993 Mustang Cobra 1998 5.0 Magazine shootout invitee
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2014 at 2:05am
Great write-up, JP!!! As promised, this has been added to the FAQ.
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2014 at 11:03pm
Remove all of the spark plugs.
It's preferred to go with new plugs, but if you keep the old ones, be sure to open the gap to 0.050 - 0.055

Remove the dizzy cap and find TDC on cylinder 1 (compression stroke).
I did this by having a buddy crank the motor with a socket on the crank pulley while I held my thumb over the spark plug hole. Once I felt the pressure build, I knew I was on the compression stroke.

I used a wooden dowel to stick down the hole to make sure I was at TDC. We hand cranked the motor until the dowel no longer moved up while contacting the piston head.

Use a sharpie to mark the dizzy body where the rotor is now pointing.
This is where the #1 spark plug wire must go on the dizzy cap.
Reinstall the dizzy cap (should be notched so it only fits one way).
Mark the #1 cylinder post on the dizzy cap.

Refer to your owners manual for the proper cylinder numbering, firing order, and dizzy rotation.
I used this diagram to run the wires (LH rotation 351W)

When getting ready to run your spark plug wires, be sure to separate them out by length.
There should be 2 of each length.

I ran each wire from the plug up to the dizzy and wedged the wire between the dizzy cap post to adjust the lengths to where I liked how they looked.

Once you are certain the wires are in the correct order on the cap, you can begin to terminate the ends.

I used this video to see how it's done as I've never done it before:

Using the strippers on the crimper, strip back 1/2" from the wire end to expose the inner core

Place the terminal end into the crimper.

Fold the core back on the spark plug wire insulation and place that side into the curved (closed) end of the terminal.
Crimp the wire.

Using a Q-Tip and some petroleum jelly, lube the boot and slide it over the terminal end.
Install the terminated plug wire on it's appropriate post.

Repeat for the rest of the plug wires.
I would buy some plug wire organizers to keep things nice and tidy.

You're ready to try and start her up and check the timing.
Timing should be 12 degrees at idle and about 34 degrees at 3K RPM.
Your timing requirements may differ.
Be sure you have a water source hooked as you don't want to run the motor or RWP dry.

Adjust the timing by rotating the dizzy until the correct timing is achieved.
Once you are happy with the timing, tighten the dizzy hold down bolt and have a beer or 3 for all your hard work.

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2014 at 10:31pm
So I just swapped out my original, leaking ProTec Ignition for a new D.U.I. set-up. I figured I would take some pics and attempt to do a write up to help out others who attempt this swap in the future.

The entire job took between 4-5 hours. Here's a LINK to my original thread where many of my questions were answered with the help of the members from this forum.

I went with THIS DUI from Summit and THIS wire crimping tool.

Make sure the main ignition breaker on the dash is off and the key is in the off position as well.

Begin by disconnecting the TRIGGER PLUG from the ProTec dizzy.

Next, loosen the dizzy lock down bolt located at the base of the dizzy.

Remove the bolt and lock down clamp and place them off to the side.

Wiggle the dizzy while pulling up on it to remove the dizzy from the motor.

Use a shop vac to clean up anything that may be down in the hole that may have fallen in during the dizzy removal.

At the bottom of the hole you will see the hexagonal oil pump shaft. This sits in the bottom of the dizzy and must be fully engaged when installing the new dizzy.

Remove all of the stock plug wires from the spark plugs.

Remove the EMS PLUG (wire harness) from the coil pack by loosening the bolt holding it to the coil pack.

Remove the three nuts on the underside of the plate that the ProTec coil pack sits on.

Remove the coil pack.

The EMS PLUG is labeled for each wire going into it from the harness.
Cut the wire at the back of the EMS connector going to P (12Vdc from key).
Cut the wire at the back of the EMS connector going to D.
Connect the wires from P and D together.
This will provide 12V power to the dizzy.

Cut the wire at the back of the EMS connector going to E (Tach wire from dash).
Cut the wire at the back of the EMS connector going to C.
Connect the wires from E and C together.
This will be the tach signal wire.

Cut the wire at the back of the EMS connector going to G (or M, both are Ground).
Cut the wire at the back of the EMS connector going to B.
Connect the wires from G and B together.

Install the new dizzy. Don't force it down into the hole if you feel resistance. If it doesn't engage the oil pump shaft properly (fully seated on the block), bump the ignition key while pressing down on the dizzy until the dizzy is firmly seated on the block.

Cut the wire at the back of the Trigger Plug going to A
Turn on the key and using a DMM set to measure Volts DC verify that it reads about 12Vdc
Turn off the key
Connect the wire from A to the DUI 12Vdc input wire.

Cut the wire at the back of the Trigger Plug going to B
Using a DMM set to Ohms verify this wire goes to the back of the dash Tachometer (should be a low number close to 0.0 Ohms) or just verify it does not go to power or ground.
Connect the wire from B to the DUI Tachometer output wire

If your dizzy requires a ground, follow the next step. My D.U.I. did not, so I removed the remaining wire on the Trigger Plug.

Cut the wire at the back of the Trigger Plug going to C
Using a DMM set to Ohms verify this wire is connected to Ground (should be close to 0.0 Ohms)
Connect the wire from C to the DUI Ground wire
Cut the last wire from the Trigger Plug and discard the plug and the last wire is not used
The EMS connector can either be cut off or left alone. There is nothing going to the connector that would cause a problem.
You will also have to disconnect the knock sensor plug wire that is attached to the EMS Plug.

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
  Share Topic