NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1973 Correct Craft Ski Nautique Restoration

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 5>
Author
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2015 at 1:25pm
I still think that CA boat is bogus... At least in terms of the graphics and options having been done at the factory. This one is not the same- it is likely the (relatively) typical red/blue scheme shown in the brochure. One of the classiest looking SN's ever made... And it was a 73-only scheme as far as I can tell. But I do not see any stars.

The 440 is a big bonus and might make this example one of the coolest, rare CC's we've seen here in some time. I hope you do it justice!
pcjeeper View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pcjeeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2015 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

"stars and stripes" ???

When I showed the local marina the photo of the original boat above, the guy at the counter said it was a stars and Stripe edition, once I get all the paint off the original lettering I will verify my findings, so far it is looking exactly like that photo. He was only aware of a few 75 SNs as part of the 50 year promotion that ever came with that package. Which leads me to believe that maybe it is not a true "Stars and Stripes" package but a neat looking combination non-the-least.
pcjeeper View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pcjeeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2015 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I still think that CA boat is bogus... At least in terms of the graphics and options having been done at the factory. This one is not the same- it is likely the (relatively) typical red/blue scheme shown in the brochure. One of the classiest looking SN's ever made... And it was a 73-only scheme as far as I can tell. But I do not see any stars.

The 440 is a big bonus and might make this example one of the coolest, rare CC's we've seen here in some time. I hope you do it justice!

There are 4 stars on the back of the boat that have been painted over. after rubbing some of the paint off, you can see the outline where they were, but they appear to have been buffed away.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2015 at 1:41pm
This is hilarious
pcjeeper View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pcjeeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2015 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by pcjeeper pcjeeper wrote:

"stars and stripes" ???

When I showed the local marina the photo of the original boat above, the guy at the counter said it was a stars and Stripe edition, once I get all the paint off the original lettering I will verify my findings, so far it is looking exactly like that photo. He was only aware of a few 75 SNs as part of the 50 year promotion that ever came with that package. Which leads me to believe that maybe it is not a true "Stars and Stripes" package but a neat looking combination non-the-least.

I'm going to call this guy and see what he is smoking! I cannot find any other referance to a stars and strips version...now that i'm digging deeper
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2015 at 1:52pm
Should have Art look it up and if it went thru Angola Ken just might remember that combo
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
pcjeeper View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pcjeeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2015 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Should have Art look it up and if it went thru Angola Ken just might remember that combo

I wouldn't wast your time, i'n not going to mention the name of the marina other than they just got bought out, I think this guy was talking out his *** I just called him and asked again and this time he mentioned something about a mastercraft, so either I miss understood him, or who knows, I'm would like to remove the references to this as to to not muddy the waters how can I do that?
pcjeeper View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pcjeeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2015 at 2:06pm
Well i guess I look like the idiot here...

I should have asked here first before believing what I had been told, and jumping to conclusions...i'm going to go chew on my foot for a little bit!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2015 at 2:25pm
Ha, no harm no foul... The boat doesn't need a fictitious back story to be cool! Plenty of folks out there with good intentions but bad memories who can't keep correct crafts and mastercrafts straight. The 50-yr anniversary he mentioned also implies that he's not very good at math.
JMurph View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JMurph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2015 at 2:29pm
Nope. You don't look like an idiot over this. You are just going off of information from some guy who doesn't really know. When Gary referred to having Art look it up, he is speaking about Art Cozier who worked at the factory (and still goes there often) since 1974 or so. He might be able to locate the original build sheet and shed some light on any special modifications that were made at the factory. I suspect your boat originally looked like the 1973 brochure and I agree that color combination is one of the classiest combinations ever put together. I may have missed it earlier in the thread, but if someone didn't already suggest this, then try to find the hull id and contact Art Cozier to see if he can look for the build sheet. That sheet would also state which engine was originally placed in the boat. Hopefully it verifies the BB 440.

Welcome aboard. You have quite an interesting boat. It has an enormous amount of potential.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2015 at 2:38pm
Fairly unmolested for a 40 year old boat but you never know what has been done by previous owners who may or may not remember things correctly...

Is there any evidence of a hyphen between Ski and Nautique?
OldSchoolBlue84 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolBlue84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2015 at 2:39pm

Are there any Correct Craft Reunions in this area?

Not many, had one few years back in Angola on Lake James that was a good turn out. Maybe it will happen again soon.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2015 at 2:46pm
I would consider him to be pretty close to Green Lake, WI... Especially since there are some of us from NY, NC, OH, CT and sometimes FL and CA that make the trip.
OldSchoolBlue84 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolBlue84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2015 at 2:48pm

I would consider him to be pretty close to Green Lake, WI... Especially since there are some of us from NY, NC, OH, CT and sometimes FL and CA that make the trip.

Yes sir

If he could make it, we could caravan down!
pcjeeper View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pcjeeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2015 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by JMurph JMurph wrote:

Nope. You don't look like an idiot over this. You are just going off of information from some guy who doesn't really know. When Gary referred to having Art look it up, he is speaking about Art Cozier who worked at the factory (and still goes there often) since 1974 or so. He might be able to locate the original build sheet and shed some light on any special modifications that were made at the factory. I suspect your boat originally looked like the 1973 brochure and I agree that color combination is one of the classiest combinations ever put together. I may have missed it earlier in the thread, but if someone didn't already suggest this, then try to find the hull id and contact Art Cozier to see if he can look for the build sheet. That sheet would also state which engine was originally placed in the boat. Hopefully it verifies the BB 440.

Welcome aboard. You have quite an interesting boat. It has an enormous amount of potential.

It would be awesome to have the original build sheets, I believe that the H-ID is CT022440673. and it was purchased in Calumet Park, IL on 7/23/73.
pcjeeper View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pcjeeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2015 at 3:01pm

Fairly unmolested for a 40 year old boat but you never know what has been done by previous owners who may or may not remember things correctly...

Is there any evidence of a hyphen between Ski and Nautique?

I will look for that this weekend
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2015 at 3:02pm
The funny part about proving or disproving an old "special" story is the fact that when people ask others to help sort out the facts, they (some) still seem to choose to believe the first story they heard.

But yes, I would send the serial no. to Art.
I kind of suspect a re-power.   The cross risers were all too common in v-drive houseboats.
But then on the other hand it could very well be original.

Anyway, Nice find!
Looks like a lot to do before July 4.
Should be do-able with an aggressive and ambitious schedule.

74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2015 at 3:08pm

Ha, no harm no foul... The boat doesn't need a fictitious back story to be cool! Plenty of folks out there with good intentions but bad memories who can't keep correct crafts and mastercrafts straight. The 50-yr anniversary he mentioned also implies that he's not very good at math.

Funny that's what i was thinking, but if it's a Special 48-year Anniversary Edition that would make it even more rare, & hence more valuable
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
JMurph View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JMurph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2015 at 3:36pm

It would be awesome to have the original build sheets, I believe that the H-ID is CT022440673. and it was purchased in Calumet Park, IL on 7/23/73.

In 1973 the hull id should be formatted like this.... SN1234   The SN stands for Ski Nautique and the four numbers would indicate the sequence the boat was built. For example, my 1972 Ski Nautique has a hull id of SN18XX (I can't remember the last two digits). A 1973 Ski Nautique should be somewhere in the 2000 range. You can check the plate by your throttle. It should be stamped on there.
pcjeeper View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pcjeeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2015 at 3:41pm

In 1973 the hull id should be formatted like this.... SN1234   The SN stands for Ski Nautique and the four numbers would indicate the sequence the boat was built. For example, my 1972 Ski Nautique has a hull id of SN18XX (I can't remember the last two digits). A 1973 Ski Nautique should be somewhere in the 2000 range. You can check the plate by your throttle. It should be stamped on there.

ok I will check that plate next time i'm in the boat, I just pulled the number from the registration...
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2015 at 3:53pm
Not entirely... On any 72 model CC would have used their own serial numbering system. (72s were built late 71 and early 72)

"All boats manufactured or imported on or after November 1, 1972 must bear a HIN. The HIN is a 12 character serial number that uniquely identifies your boat."

Any 73 would have been built late 72 or early 73, therefore probably having a transom molded HIN.
JMurph View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JMurph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2015 at 4:11pm
Thanks for the correction. I was not aware of that mandate in 1972. I thought that came along much later.
pcjeeper View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pcjeeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2015 at 4:15pm
So is it possible that the CC# on the registration is correct, or that it may actually be a 72, as nothing would surprise me at this point....

Curiosity is killing me, I will go out and double check the plate...
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2015 at 4:15pm
Then it changed again a little in 1984.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2015 at 4:18pm

Any 73 would have been built late 72 or early 73.
pcjeeper View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pcjeeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2015 at 4:22pm
Well some bad news, you cannot read the plate...

Any Ideas?

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2015 at 4:26pm

It's probably really
CTC -> Correct Craft
2244 -> serial number, aligns with JMurph's guess
06 -> June build? I have heard July-June build schedule. Sold 4-7 weeks later...
73 -> model year
pcjeeper View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pcjeeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2015 at 4:30pm
I also found the inspection from 06 when it was transfered from an IL reg to an IN it lists the HIN as CTC022440673-3NMU if that helps any???
pcjeeper View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pcjeeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2015 at 4:32pm

It's probably really
CTC -> Correct Craft
2244 -> serial number, aligns with JMurph's guess
06 -> June build? I have heard July-June build schedule. Sold 4-7 weeks later...
73 -> model year

The registration has a type-o it says CT####, the inspection has it right...
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2015 at 4:47pm
Frankly I don't trust any state generated paperwork. Tell me what's on the boat.

It could very well be CT 02244 but doubt it. I'm not familiar with the 73-83 boats. 2 digit manufacturer doesn't seem enough nor do I suspect they planned on building 98,000 more boats soon.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 5>
  Share Topic