NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

"Blown" Ford 351

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 7891011 14>
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2018 at 5:37pm
Yes, it's just the 4 bolts but, many times the coupling halves are rusted together. See if you can hammer a putty knife between them, an old wood chisel or a cold chisel. You may ding up the flange face but you can easily file it back flat.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
William777 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote William777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2018 at 5:27pm
Thanks and do I have the prop shaft disconnected by removing those four bolts? it didn't separate at all when I removed them.
1978 Martinique Ford 351 Windsor
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2018 at 4:01pm
Unbolt the mounts from the stringers and pull the engine/trans at one time.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote William777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2018 at 3:21pm
Also, to remove the engine, should I just remove the bell housing bolts and lift just the block? Or, remove the bolts from the stringers and lift the whole thing? Or, leave the mounts in the boat and remove the engine from them? I'm concerned about removing the bolts from the stringers due to the age of the boat. As in, when I replace them, will the seating be as secure as if I left them in place? Thanks William

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote William777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2018 at 3:03pm

Making slow progress changing out the engine. I removed the four screws from the propeller shaft as in the pic. Is that all I need to do to separate it from the engine for removal? Thanks.
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2017 at 8:28pm
With everyone here I bet you'll have that thing running in no time at all. Keep it up!
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2017 at 1:32pm
Where are you located? I have a standard rotation 351w I've been hanging onto forever that would need a rebuild but is fully dressed. I'd let it go for spare change
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2017 at 6:54pm
It's a little hard to tell with it all wrapped in plastic, but from what I can see,the crankshaft looks like an older one for a 2 pc rear main seal which is what your old engine had too.

Ford never made a forged crank for the 351, so unless you got some kind of aftermarket crank it's about like any other 351W crank

The blocks up till about 74 or so are said to be stronger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote William777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2017 at 6:21pm

Here are the new things. I need to check my texts with the seller but he said something about the crankshaft being heavy duty.? The block certainly looks a lot better than the old one.
Timr71 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timr71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2017 at 5:12pm
Good luck building it out. I"m sure you can do it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote William777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2017 at 4:50pm
Thanks, ordered the book from Amzn. I'll be studying that before I do anything fur sure. Eyes on the prize, accelerating away from the dock.........with some good technotranz playing.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2017 at 4:18pm
William get your self the book Rebuilding Ford small block by Tom Monroe it will help you out a lot.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2017 at 4:13pm
Yeah, what he said

Keep the updates coming with a little humor mixed in.

Shouldn't need any "face cream" this time around

And remember     "If in doubt, don't throw it out" when it comes to all those bolt on marine parts.
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2017 at 3:28pm
This is why I enjoy this site. Good luck on your project. I’ll be following and hoping to learn a lot. Please update as you go.
78 Ski Tique, 72 Skier w/302's, 93 SN w/351 & 17 GS22 w/zr409
Previous - 99 Sport Nautique w/GT40 and 87 Martinique w/351

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote William777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2017 at 2:44pm
Lads, a member here was nice enough to inform me there was a 351 block for sale in Portland for 110 bucks .(including heads, cam shaft and all sorts of bits) A friend of mine happened to be there at the very time, so she picked it up for me. Its been bored? to 30 over. The same fellow who told me about the block happened to have a set of 30 over pistons, which I also bought. So now, all I have to do is completely swap every part and I'll have a perfectly good 351. I'm terrified but no one ever did anything till they did it the first time. So the fat lady did a lovely aria over the old block. I'm aiming for Spring. Pray for me. William
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2017 at 6:09pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

More importantly is why,meaning you would not need to.
google link

My point exactly

We're just saying the same thing differently
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2017 at 6:07pm

+1 and a 2 piece seal block can be machined to a 1 piece block. 351's were built up until '96. All your internals will fit

Now I think I see what you're trying to tell him maybe.

But if he want's to keep it simple which it seems like he does, he finds a 2 piece seal older block and no machining is needed at least for the seal.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2017 at 5:16pm
More importantly is why,meaning you would not need to. You could machine it for a 1 and put a speedi sleeve on the crank. If my Mustang engine ever comes out,which I doubt,I'll have it done.
google link
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2017 at 5:04pm

+1 and a 2 piece seal block can be machined to a 1 piece block. 351's were built up until '96. All your internals will fit

Gary

Can you go the other way and machine a 1 piece seal block for a 2 piece seal.

I never really thought about it

With a 78 he's got a 2 piece rear main seal assuming it's the original block

A little voice in my head says probably not
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2017 at 4:57pm
Time for the funeral

You have a 2 piece rear main seal in a 78 engine, that was mentioned way back.

If all your other parts are good and you want to transfer stuff to another block you'd need an early block with the 2 pc rear main seal because your reverse rotation crank has wick lines, helix lines or whatever somebody may call them for oil at the back of the crank for oil control reasons. You also have a rotation specific camshaft distributor (just the gear on the distributor is rotation specific) and starter

You can buy a long block reverse rotation engine from numerous rebuilders, transfer your marine parts and be good to go. Of course it will cost more than transferring parts to another block, but in the long run, it may be worth it for you.

You could get a junkyard 351W from a truck that rotates the opposite way, transfer parts and reindex the transmission to work for you. You'd have to buy a normal rotation prop so that when you put the boat in forward, it will go forward. And you'd need a normal rotation marine starter and distributor (gear).

People will tell you that the boat will handle differently and lean much more to the right with a normal rotation engine To the CC purist types this is absolutely sacrilegious

I'd spend the next week or 3 of your life going through old threads here on CCF about 351W engines, read other people's experience, listen to recommendations, then make up your own mind based on your budget, engine assembly experience and
tools available to you etc

There are west coast people who will come along that could tell you what places they used for things like a long block

Oh yeah, ask questions first instead of after buying parts to make sure you get things right.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2017 at 4:48pm
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2017 at 4:19pm
I would swap your parts into a new block.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote William777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2017 at 4:11pm
I see that Ford changed to a one piece seal in 84, so mine must be a two piece, I'm not sure what that has to do with my case though. Do I have an option to change the entire engine? Can I change the whole thing out for a clockwise rotation rig? What would you do? Where in the world would I source a 351W reverse rotation engine ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote William777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2017 at 3:59pm
Well that Monty Python was freakin hilarious. I AM that Black Knight! Good call tryathelete. Alas, I took the intake manifold off and found the lovely big crack and it look like to continues under the starboard head, so, I give up. Although I'm tempted to patch it too, I'd be on edge every time I take the boat out with Frankenstein engine patches all over.        Also, from the pic can someone tell me if I have the one piece seal block or two? I'm at sea on this at the moment. Would a difference enable me to use a standard 351 block? Not sure if I'm even asking a coherent question.
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2017 at 4:17am
Originally posted by William777 William777 wrote:

Yee of little faith. The fat lady is still eating.

It’s more than just a flesh wound!

It’s just a flesh wound!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote William777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2017 at 3:50am
Yee of little faith. The fat lady is still eating.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2017 at 10:02pm
At least get your local hospice people to show up and have someone give it last rites too
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2017 at 9:03pm
I think you are emotionally attached to your engine Block like a dying pet or loved one. Ya got to let it go.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote William777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2017 at 8:43pm
Thanks for the props and ideas for a table, but, I'm not scheduling a funeral just yet.
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2017 at 8:10pm
I like that but it has 2 flaws:
1) My wife would kill me.. again.
2) I'd stub my toe on it in the middle of the night and be crippled for life.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 7891011 14>
  Share Topic