NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Battery drain

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
gibson1525 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gibson1525 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Battery drain
    Posted: May-12-2024 at 1:54pm
I think I’ve got a battery drain somewhere in my 2004 Air. The battery is dead after leaving the switch in the all off position.

After removing a battery cable and testing with a multimeter from the battery terminal to the disconnected cable I get 12v with both the switch in the All On and All Off positions.

Shouldn’t it go to 0 in the All Off position?
1988 SN 2001

2004 216
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2024 at 4:46pm
Not really knowing what wires you're checking and where, if I wanted to know if the switch worked I'd probably do something easy like hook up the wire(s) that were disconnected so everything is back to normal, then:

Put the switch in the all on position

Turn something on like the bilge blower

Turn the switch to all off

See if the blower turns off or stays running

Post results  Wink
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gibson1525 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2024 at 7:34pm
More background:

I bought a new battery two years ago, this spring it was dead, wouldn’t hold a charge.

I bought a new one, worked one day then was dead a week later when I went to start it. I assumed something was sucking power from somewhere.

I took the battery back to be tested today, they thought it was bad. I hooked up the replacement today.

I’ll test it tomorrow to see if the battery is fully charged.

The switch seems to work as it should with a full battery.

Here’s hoping I just bought a bad battery!

1988 SN 2001

2004 216
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2024 at 1:40am
Every Boat owner should also own a good battery charger.  Minimum of 10 AMP charger, new chargers are fully automated to keep you from over charging your battery.   A must have tool.

When I park my boat for the winter I do that with the battery cable disconnected so nothing can drain the battery.   Radio's can give you a constant low voltage or mil volt drain that over 3 mos time will drain a battery.

It sounds like you have a parasitic drain, follow Kens advice above.  Get a Multi Tester and start checking each wire run from the fuse to the battery,  One is draining your battery you just need to find out which one.  A hot wire is hitting a partial ground, a full ground would allow the wire to melt.   As fast as yours is draining you might find it with a temperature check on your wires with everything off and the battery fully charged and Hooked up I am thinking one wire is going to be warmer than the others where your drain is located.   The Multi Meter will also allow you to do an AMP drain or Voltage Drop test on each circuit to help find the issue.   Hope it is obvious and found quickly.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2024 at 6:53am
So the switch works like it should and isolates all the stuff that it should.

Maybe you had a bad battery, you'll know soon Wink

There are other loads that the switch won't isolate, but they can wait on your overnight results.
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2024 at 8:50am
I am trying to remember what I did to fix that issue on my 2004 ski.  It had something to do with the stereo at the time.  I know that I ran a new wire to for something......I will try to look tonight.  It was such a big issue that I became know as "Dead Battery Bill"!!
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gibson1525 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2024 at 9:04am
The battery went from 12.4 to 11.4v overnight with the switch in the All Off position. That seems like a big drop for just overnight
1988 SN 2001

2004 216
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2024 at 9:44am
Well, so much for the easy fix That rules out the battery. It should have stayed right about at the 12.4 that you started with.

Not sure if/what you have a radio or where it might be wired into, but downstream of the switch would kill some radio power with the switch OFF. Upstream would always be a draw.

Generally newer radio's have a small amount of draw due to  keep alive power that's still on to retain settings, time function etc. when the radio is turned off. So 2 separate power supplies. The keep alive power would be upstream of the switch and always alive.

A kinda easy check to see if the alternator might be the problem (bad diodes) would be to unplug the connector on the alternator and remove the output wire from the output terminal. Tape the end of the wire so it can't short on anything because there is battery voltage there all the time

Charge the battery again. leave the alternator wires off overnight and see what happens to voltage or kill the radio power supplies and see what happens to voltage overnight. Do either the alternator or radio but not both so that you'll only be changing one thing at a time..
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gibson1525 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2024 at 11:18am
I’m not sure about where the radio is wired into. Although I’ve had the boat 5 years ands never had a problem until now so I’m thinking the radio probably isn’t the issue.

I’ll charge the battery today and try your alternator suggestion tonight
1988 SN 2001

2004 216
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2024 at 8:25am
I looked at mine last night and it was the amp for the stereo that was not wired through the master switch.  Probably not your issue but it did fix mine.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gibson1525 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2024 at 12:56pm
Well, there was a 4v drop in the battery yesterday with just the alternator unplugged. Dang, I was hoping that was the cause.

There’s several things plugged directly into the battery, I’m not which are upstream and which are downstream of the battery switch though. Honestly in not even sure what they all are. I guess I’m in for deep dive into it to get it figured out. Any suggestions as to how to start are appreciated.
1988 SN 2001

2004 216
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2024 at 1:36pm
Is there a spark when you hook up your battery?  Hook up one wire on the positive side at a time to try to isolate the cause.  If you can figure out which of them cause the spark that is more than likely the circuit that is causing your issue.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2024 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by gibson1525 gibson1525 wrote:

Well, there was a 4v drop in the battery yesterday with just the alternator unplugged. Dang, I was hoping that was the cause.

There’s several things plugged directly into the battery, I’m not which are upstream and which are downstream of the battery switch though. Honestly in not even sure what they all are. I guess I’m in for deep dive into it to get it figured out. Any suggestions as to how to start are appreciated.

I think I'd ask "dead battery Bill" how many wires/cables are on his positive battery  terminal for comparison purposes. I'd guess it'll be one of those several things.

I'd shotgun it and unhook everything that doesn't look factory and do the overnight test again  Wink

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gibson1525 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2024 at 7:01pm
I’ve got about 5 things hooked to the positive terminal. I’ll start testing them one at a time. I took the amps off today, we’ll see what happens.
1988 SN 2001

2004 216
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gibson1525 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2024 at 7:04pm
Originally posted by fanofccfan fanofccfan wrote:

Is there a spark when you hook up your battery?  Hook up one wire on the positive side at a time to try to isolate the cause.  If you can figure out which of them cause the spark that is more than likely the circuit that is causing your issue.

I noticed a spark when they were all hooked up together, I’ll try and separate them and see if I can isolate one of them that sparks
1988 SN 2001

2004 216
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gibson1525 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2024 at 7:50am
Went from 12 to 11.7 overnight with the stereo amp unplugged. I’m not sure what to make of that though.

While it’s much better than the 4v loss with it plugged in, it still seems like enough loss to be a battery drain
1988 SN 2001

2004 216
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gibson1525 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2024 at 7:51am
I’ll leave it another day or two and see what happens. Maybe I’ve got two drains?
1988 SN 2001

2004 216
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2024 at 8:09am
If you are still getting a spark hooking up any of the wires you still have a drain.  I had one auxiliary wire hooked to the positive side of the battery besides the master red cable.  If you have five then unhook all until you see a spark and yes you may have more than one.  Have you ever tried letting the battery overnight with nothing hooked up to it?  It should not lose any voltage overnight.
Mpost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2024 at 9:34am
If you have a VOM you can do a current check with it to determine if there is any current draw on each wire. There is usually a 10 amp and a MA (milliamp) connection on most VOMs. connect the lead to the 10Amp to the Positive battery terminal and the COM (ground) to the wire you want to test and check the reading. If nothing shows up on the 10Amp plug try the MA plug. 
I have used this many times to find a small drain in vehicles and boats. 

If it is a significant drain a test light may even show the wire at fault. 

84 SN Sold   98 SN    Lund Pro V   1975 Alumacraft
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2024 at 9:46am
CC/Nautique tended to wire bilge pumps so that the main breaker and certainly a battery switch would turn them off.  Some people that leave their boats in the water re-wire bilge pumps to be always powered, for obvious reasons.  I wonder if one of those direct wires is to the pumps, and if you have one that is drawing the current.  You could disconnect them at the pumps (think it is a plug connector, can't remember though) and see if that makes a difference overnight.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2024 at 1:31pm

Although I’ve had the boat 5 years ands never had a problem until now so I’m thinking the radio probably isn’t the issue.

One thing you should figure out is that you don't really want to make statements like the above one from earlier in the thread.....they come back to bite ya'  Wink
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gibson1525 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2024 at 8:59pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Although I’ve had the boat 5 years ands never had a problem until now so I’m thinking the radio probably isn’t the issue.

One thing you should figure out is that you don't really want to make statements like the above one from earlier in the thread.....they come back to bite ya'  Wink

Hahaha, oh so true. Well said
1988 SN 2001

2004 216
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2024 at 7:53am
So.....was it the radio or amp?  Or is it still a mystery?
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gibson1525 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2024 at 10:22am
No voltage drop overnight, that’s now 48hr with the amp unplugged and no lost voltage. Looks like I found the source.

Next question is what exactly am I looking for? Pull the wires and inspect for frayed wiring? If that looks ok, do I assume it’s somewhere inside the amp and just replace the amp?
1988 SN 2001

2004 216
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gibson1525 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2024 at 10:28am
Originally posted by Mpost Mpost wrote:

If you have a VOM you can do a current check with it to determine if there is any current draw on each wire. There is usually a 10 amp and a MA (milliamp) connection on most VOMs. connect the lead to the 10Amp to the Positive battery terminal and the COM (ground) to the wire you want to test and check the reading. If nothing shows up on the 10Amp plug try the MA plug. 
I have used this many times to find a small drain in vehicles and boats. 

If it is a significant drain a test light may even show the wire at fault. 

I tried this but must be doing something wrong. With the power switch in the ‘all off position’, When I pull the main battery cable terminal and check it I get 12v. When I individually check the other 5 wires connected to the battery I get a range from 5mA to 9A.
1988 SN 2001

2004 216
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2024 at 12:46pm
I rewired the amp power through the master switch.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2024 at 1:28pm
Remember your statement about the radio not being the problem because everything was just fine for 5 years.

Well............something changed with the amp to start causing the problem this year Wink

I suppose you could do like DBB ( that's short for Dead Battery Bill) said or figure out the amp issue that just popped up..

Good thing you listened to DBB, and I'd still figure out what all the other wires go to that are live all the time.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic