Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pump, Thermostat, and Sending Unit

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Otto Throttle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Otto Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pump, Thermostat, and Sending Unit
    Posted: May-16-2024 at 9:03pm
This is an update on my projects… all performed flawlessly and in like new order!   BUT before I ascertained that I had to start the engine…

…that is where the problem occurred…. Crank but no start…not even a hit with a little ether! The culpret was the kill switch… just jiggled it a little bit and try again!!! As usual she fired right up!!! No leaks, sounds, or bad indications!!!!

Thanks Keno and everyone for your time in answering my questions!!

Wash and way Time… then out to the Sandusky Bay!!! Wish I could post a picture of the powerplant on the forums!!!

Otto
Otto
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2024 at 7:25am
Good job Otto  Thumbs Up

What's your picture posting problem?

You figured it out not long ago
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2024 at 1:41pm
I would say that all of us with older boats have had a kill switch jiggle problem at one time or another.  First thing to look at in crank but no start situations on these boats.  And I keep a spare kill switch lanyard in the tool box.

Congrats on the good news!  Would be great if you can figure out a few pictures.

Ether ....... don't do it.  Just don't.  Not on a gas engine.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2024 at 6:10pm
Ether/Starting fluid is great stuff but it can be fatal to an engine.
Best use is to have one person crank the engine while person #2 gives it a quick spray.  With the engine cranking the Ether is diluted into more cylinders.  IF it does not fire instantly on Ether you have no spark.  Don't spray more ether, fix it.

I have seen engines blown up by starting fluid.  Pistons Fractured, Piston Rings Broken, the best one I saw the guys car would not start, he sprayed a bunch of starting fluid in the intake and when he hit the key to crank it the entire Inake Manifold exploded right off the top of the engine.  Good Stuff but extremely dangerous if not careful in application.   I keep two cans around all the time, use when needed.  Carefully.   My old generator only runs once or twice per year.  A small snort of Ether has it starting on the first try almost every time.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Otto Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2024 at 12:11pm
Tried Posting Pictures...evidently I am not good at jumping up and down on 1 leg, rubbing my belly, and reciting a list of prime numbers!   I reached out for help!  LOL!
Otto
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2024 at 4:57pm
Otto, Otto, Otto

Remember your Red check engine light thread, I know you do, so go back to that and read the directions on posting pictures with IMGBB. Make sure you watch the video and watch it at 1/2 speed, it makes it easier to follow.

You posted pictures in that thread, maybe with IMGBB or maybe with the site method so we know you can do it.

It's easier than flying an airplane.................. and a whole lot easier than landing one and it almost as easy as changing your oil pressure switch Wink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Otto Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2024 at 11:52pm

Otto

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Otto Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2024 at 11:55pm
Omg that is worse than a V1 Cut in the Sim!!! Not bad looking for just a few less than 600 hours on her! Almost as pretty as a Pratt and Whitney R-2800 or a Roll Royce Merlin!
Otto
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2024 at 8:10am
Well look at that Otto......ya did it with IMGBB, Larry's video makes it a lot easier to understand the process Wink

One thing........... if you hit the space bar after you paste the code, then paste the next code you'll have separation between the pictures instead of looking like one run on picture

It may be pretty but I see some issues 

That sticker on the flame arrestor cover with those wrinkles is an eyesore even though it probably came with the wrinkles from the factory ( or maybe it's just an age thing), and the peeling sticker on the raw water strainer is hideous.

And your fuel pump could use a little touch up paint. Same for the ignition coil.

That knocks you down to a 9.0 from the panel of judges. It was 9.5's across the board with a 6.0 from the Russian judge dragging the score down.  Wink

And in case you're wondering if somebody advertises "PCM black touch up paint" click on the link

I don't think I believe their description that says 

SPRAY PAINT This super enamel is a special chemical blend for use on marine engines. Original Equipment, by PCM, this spray paint can be used on your exhaust manifolds and/or engine. (High temp paint not needed)

The label on the can says durable color for garage and shop. It must be a special blend for that too. Wink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Otto Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2024 at 9:52am
It’s funny that you mentioned that as I do have a spare sticker or two laying around. I don’t know why I act like this boat will last another hundred years, maybe it’s like my Lyman it actually could!
Otto

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Otto Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2024 at 9:54am
By the way, the Russian judge is already sauced!
Otto

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Otto Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2024 at 5:40pm
Squared Away!!!

Otto
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2024 at 7:18am
I'm not sure Otto, but I think the sticker looks a little crooked.

Something I am sure of though, if you had a pair or mini flush cut pliers like in the link below, that ugly zip tie end wouldn't be hanging out like that., it would be........flush Wink

Some places even advertise them as mini flush cut zip tie pliers 

You'll find various different brands and prices for these spiffy little things

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Otto Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2024 at 10:04am
The guys in the factory must be a little off, as I followed the lines of discoloration! I will look at that plier as I do like tools. It’s funny what you don’t see in reality but you see in pictures! I’m much handsomer in the mirror! Lol
Otto
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic