Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

No start, searched, accel pump?

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
wannabeSS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wannabeSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No start, searched, accel pump?
    Posted: April-29-2007 at 2:14pm
Well I finally got a chance to work on my boat to put the new timing set on etc after my problem. Anyways, I went to fire it up today and no go. My boat had been getting harder and harder to start over the past year. Before the timing gear broke it would take me 20 min of fiddling and putting a jumper on it to start. Today I figured the same thing, but after two hours i couldnt get it to start, even poured fuel down the carb and nothing. I searched on here about accelerator pump problems and people taking off the throttle cable to test. When I took the cable off and pushed the throttle by hand I didnt have any fuel coming out, no matter how many times i pumped it. I figured that there was not enough fuel in the lines because it has been sitting for a while, so I cranked it for a while and still nothing. So now im thinking either the accel pump or the fuel pump is not bringing fuel up to the carb. Any suggestions?
96 Camaro SS #1157
84 Ski Nautique, fat sacks, fly high pole
06 LF Fish 125
06 LF PS3 137
rudderdad View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rudderdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2007 at 2:48am
By pouring fuel in the carb, you should have gotten something. Are you getting any spark to the plugs? If you still have ignition with points and condensor, it could easily be the condensor, have had even new ones fail.
rudderdad
wannabeSS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wannabeSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2007 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by rudderdad rudderdad wrote:

By pouring fuel in the carb, you should have gotten something. Are you getting any spark to the plugs? If you still have ignition with points and condensor, it could easily be the condensor, have had even new ones fail.
I had spark, electronic ignition, but my starter is really slow even with a jumper on it. I think i need a new starter to get it cranking faster, then see if i can work on that after. I also need to set my timing, but i cant do that until i get the damn thing to start.
96 Camaro SS #1157
06 LF Fish 125
06 LF PS3 137
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2007 at 4:31pm
Could be your timing is too far off to start the boat. Have you tried to adjust it a bit and see if that makes a difference.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
wannabeSS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wannabeSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2007 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

Could be your timing is too far off to start the boat. Have you tried to adjust it a bit and see if that makes a difference.
Yea i tried moving the distributor a little bit both ways and still nothing. I followed the advice given to me in another thread to get the timing close enough to get the boat started. Put the timing chain dot-to-dot to get TDC #1, then made sure i got the rotor to point at the #1 tower on the dist cap. I also checked the firing order twice and it's correct.
96 Camaro SS #1157
06 LF Fish 125
06 LF PS3 137
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2007 at 7:57pm
check your starter connections or it may be time for a starter if everything else checks out, it shouldve kicked when you put fuel down the throat of the carb, remove the fuel line to the carb and crank it over making sure you are getting fuel to the carb if you are the bowls should be full, if you crank the carb arm it should spray fuel and you will see this. im wondering why it didnt kick when you poured fuel down her, dont rule out the condensor, with a bad condensor it will still spark
"the things you own will start to own you"
wannabeSS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wannabeSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2007 at 10:12pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

check your starter connections or it may be time for a starter if everything else checks out, it shouldve kicked when you put fuel down the throat of the carb, remove the fuel line to the carb and crank it over making sure you are getting fuel to the carb if you are the bowls should be full, if you crank the carb arm it should spray fuel and you will see this. im wondering why it didnt kick when you poured fuel down her, dont rule out the condensor, with a bad condensor it will still spark
I actually pulled the fuel line to the carb and there wasnt any fuel coming out while cranking. There isnt a condensor b/c it's electronic correct? Atleast i didnt see one in there when i put the new module in.
96 Camaro SS #1157
06 LF Fish 125
06 LF PS3 137
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2007 at 7:01am
Wannabee, Did you put the fuel pump eccentric back on when you put the new timing chain in?
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2007 at 7:20am
no condensor if you converted, good thinking 81, did you remove the fuel pump? alot of times if you do have a bad pump the diaphram will leak gas into the crankcase also, if so be sure to change the oil a couple of times or the gas will wash down the cylinders, thats if gas got in there. concentrate on why you are not getting fuel to the pump. if you were a woman i would say put some gas in it
Eric
Munday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2007 at 10:31pm
I think if you have fire and poured fuel into carb and didn't get any pops bangs or blow backs then your not getting fire at the right moment.On the no fuel issue,if you unhook the line before pump and blow into tank vent you should get fuel,after reattaching line and cranking you should get fuel to carb,if not then your fuel pump is bad or the fuelpump cam is not installed right.

Munday
wannabeSS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wannabeSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2007 at 8:39am
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Wannabee, Did you put the fuel pump eccentric back on when you put the new timing chain in?
The cam-like thing on the timing chain that moves the pump arm? yep...
96 Camaro SS #1157
06 LF Fish 125
06 LF PS3 137
wannabeSS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wannabeSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2007 at 8:43am
Originally posted by Munday Munday wrote:

I think if you have fire and poured fuel into carb and didn't get any pops bangs or blow backs then your not getting fire at the right moment.On the no fuel issue,if you unhook the line before pump and blow into tank vent you should get fuel,after reattaching line and cranking you should get fuel to carb,if not then your fuel pump is bad or the fuelpump cam is not installed right.

Munday
I made sure there was fuel all the way at the end of the filter hose by sucking on it and getting the fuel up. Is it possible to pump the fuel arm by hand and get fuel moving? I was going to try to pull it and see if that works. Im pretty sure I installed the cam right.
96 Camaro SS #1157
06 LF Fish 125
06 LF PS3 137
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2007 at 9:55am
well if you sucked it and got it up, you shouldnt pull it though after its up. sorry these are your words,

anyways on the fuel push rod you have to find the low side of the cam and grease the rod so it holds up in there
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2007 at 10:30am
Wannabe,

I have to look at your situation as 2 possible problems, First I would tackle is why it's not firing when you prime the carb manually.

After reading your posts again, you say you have spark but I wonder if your distributor is out 180 degrees. If you prime it and have spark it should atleast try to fire up.

My guess on the fuel is that once the boat fires for a few seconds it will draw fuel and you'll be ok so I personally would not worry about that problem right now. It may stall a few times waiting for gas but prime it again and I think you'll be ok
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
wannabeSS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wannabeSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2007 at 4:40pm
I wonder if the coil is going also, I had spark but it wasnt like on my camaro. My car makes a serious blue arc when I test the coil, the boat doesnt, just a little spark. I have 12 volts at the coil so I know it's not power issue. I wish I had another coil to test it with. If the dist was 180 out then my timing chain wouldnt be on correctly because I put the rotor at the #1 tower while the dots were lined up.
96 Camaro SS #1157
06 LF Fish 125
06 LF PS3 137
wannabeSS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wannabeSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2007 at 6:34pm
Ok, update... I took the fuel pump out and moved it by hand and had fuel shooting out, so I reinstalled it and now I have fuel at the carb and fuel when I move the throttle. It seems as though the accel pump works fine because it's a steady stream. As I was trying to fire it again I moved the distributor slightly and it sounded like it wanted to start but couldnt. I tried going 180 and it didnt do anything, not even an effort to start, so I put it back the way I had it. Right now I'm trying to do some testing at the coil, I dont have 12 volts for some reason.
96 Camaro SS #1157
06 LF Fish 125
06 LF PS3 137
wannabeSS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wannabeSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2007 at 9:16am
Ok I did some testing and the ignition module is fine. I have 12 volts at the coil. I pulled all the plugs and some had a little bit of green corrosion so i'm going to change them today and i'm going to change the cap and rotor. I have a question though, I bought some timing tape because my balancer is messed up. I need to know how to install it on this reverse rotation engine so I can time for BDC. This is the tape I bought
96 Camaro SS #1157
06 LF Fish 125
06 LF PS3 137
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2007 at 11:26am
think it's about time you paid someone to fix your boat, your really have some trouble on some basic stuff.
wannabeSS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wannabeSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2007 at 8:31pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

think it's about time you paid someone to fix your boat, your really have some trouble on some basic stuff.
You're kidding me right? Nothing is going right with this damn boat. I built my car from the ground up and run 10.50's in a car that I drive to school everyday. I dont know what I did to piss off the motor gods with this boat. It's not like I started off with a good starting boat to begin with, after the first couple months I had to play with it for 30 min before I went to the ramp to make sure it was going to start. On another note, I replaced the cap and rotor today, going to do the plugs tomorrow and give it another shot. And how should I orient the timing tape?
96 Camaro SS #1157
06 LF Fish 125
06 LF PS3 137
6strings View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6strings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2007 at 9:21pm
Nice encouraging words there, 79. The guy is asking for help. You know the old adage "if you can't say anything nice......"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2007 at 9:52pm
old boy has been at it a while offer a lot of help, and now just getting to replacing the stuff that should have been replaced and check long ago, keeps saying has no problem fixing his hot rod but the boat's kicking his butt please just because the motor rotates the other way means nothing you still do the same stuff to fix it, worried about applying tape to get the timing right should be able to do it with out a timing light to start with just sounds like he's pissing in the wind and it's time to step back and let someone else take over, then again maybe it's a little tougher than just lining up the dots on the timing gears. Besides think this about the third thread he's started trying to get it going.
wannabeSS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wannabeSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2007 at 10:13pm

First of all my car is FI, this is my FIRST time playing with a carb motor at all. Second, I adjust my timing with a laptop, I have never used a timing light wiht harmonic balancer marks to make sure my timing is correct. Back to the boat; I have the motor wanting to fire when I first crank it, but then it wont after that. I have a brand new optima blue top battery but, I think the motor is just not turning fast enough. I cleaned up the block ground and replaced the connector with a new copper one. I'm going to clean up the starter connection and go from there. I think if i can get a faster rotation it will fire.
96 Camaro SS #1157
06 LF Fish 125
06 LF PS3 137
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2007 at 10:03am
it will crank faster once you get the timing closer, all you have to do is rotate the dist very slightly one direction or the other, one way it will slow down more the other it will speed up. But if you have old crappy plugs, cap, rotor or wire that's not going to help and make it even worse.

like a said before get some old school mechanic that can tune carb'd motor's as well as a FI motor and it will be fixed in about 5 minutes.
wannabeSS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wannabeSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2007 at 3:04pm

it will crank faster once you get the timing closer, all you have to do is rotate the dist very slightly one direction or the other, one way it will slow down more the other it will speed up. But if you have old crappy plugs, cap, rotor or wire that's not going to help and make it even worse.

like a said before get some old school mechanic that can tune carb'd motor's as well as a FI motor and it will be fixed in about 5 minutes.
I have it on that one spot that makes it crank faster, but it will only do it for a second, it fires then dies, then cranks slow again. That's why I think the starter is just getting hot and not wanting to cooperate. The cap/rotor/plugs are all new and the wires are a year old but in good shape, no arcing.
96 Camaro SS #1157
06 LF Fish 125
06 LF PS3 137
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2007 at 3:25pm
well it will help if you can have someone else crank while your rotating the dist slowly until it fires and stays running you'll also want to have the throtle cable disconnected so you can run it with one hand and rotate the dist with the other to keep it going double check the firing order just incase you have some wires crossed ccw at the cap. also you will only need to rotate the dist maybe 5-10 degrees and don't have the clamp to loose just loose enough to rotate but still stay put once you let go.

you can go too far with the dist so just because it spins faster doesn't mean it's where it should go. you may have it advanced to much and need to back it off a little. just don't crank it for ever and give the battery a break. two full pumps on the throtle then crank but only the first time. another trick is to just screw down the idle screw so it's high to get the motor going then you can get the timing light out and dial it in to where it needs to be.
wannabeSS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wannabeSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2007 at 5:19pm

The carb is not stock, it's an edelbrock, i need to look at the model number, but i'm wondering if it is even adjusted correctly. Like i said, when i first hit the key it spins fast and the motor almost starts, then it spins slow again. I dont want to put a jumper on it after reading that the extra amps might kill the ign module. I used to start the boat everytime with a jumper because it would take so long to get it to run, but i put a new ign module so i dont wanna risk it. I will try having my dad start the boat while i play with the dist and throttle. Yea i checked the firing order atleast 5 times because i kept second guessing myself, but it's fine.
96 Camaro SS #1157
06 LF Fish 125
06 LF PS3 137
wannabeSS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wannabeSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2007 at 5:37pm
Ok I looked all over the carb and cant find a model number. I did however look at edelbrock's site and my carb looks exactly like the performer marine carb, the problem is, i dont know if it's the 750 or 600.
96 Camaro SS #1157
06 LF Fish 125
06 LF PS3 137
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2007 at 5:41pm
makes no difference on what model or brand carb it is, it's starting sound like you didn't install the timing chain correctly and didn't verify that the number one cyl was on top dead center before you started theres a whole lot more to it than just lining up the dots.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2007 at 9:33pm
do your self a favor and invest in a Holley, go through and check out everything 79 is telling you too.
Every Edelbrock carb Ive had in the past always had starting issues... always had to crank the sh*t out of them. it maybe a coincidence with the starting problem, but Ive ran into this twice in the past and the last time i had a Holley 780 laying around and i threw a rebuild kit in it and bolted it on, it fired the car everytime with no more than 2 revolutions
wannabeSS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wannabeSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2007 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

do your self a favor and invest in a Holley, go through and check out everything 79 is telling you too.
Every Edelbrock carb Ive had in the past always had starting issues... always had to crank the sh*t out of them. it maybe a coincidence with the starting problem, but Ive ran into this twice in the past and the last time i had a Holley 780 laying around and i threw a rebuild kit in it and bolted it on, it fired the car everytime with no more than 2 revolutions
Yea, that's the only reason why I'm thinking it's not something I did in the timing chain change since it's ALWAYS had starting issues. I think sitting for the past 4 months has made the issue even more prevalent. But I have a question, if the motor was not at TDC when I had the dots lined up, then something is not right/broken with the gears/cam/crank correct?
96 Camaro SS #1157
06 LF Fish 125
06 LF PS3 137
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic