Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

’83 "2001" New Problems

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
Author
882001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 882001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2005 at 3:01am
reverse 4 and 1 and you will have your list
billgatesceo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billgatesceo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2005 at 11:00pm
Well, the lower RPMs seem to be the problem. When it gets up to the upper portion of the power band it seems to be fine.

When in neutral you can actually get it to rev, however, under load(ie in gear) it takes a good while for it to get up.

Can anyone list the high points to hit for a full tuneup?

My list:
1) plugs
2) wires (had a couple of sets go bad on me in my mustang and it ran just like the boat..that one is easy to figure out though, just go one by one taking of the wire and see which one makes no difference)
3) Full carbureator rebuild kit
4) possibly upgrade to electronic ignition
5) ?

Thanks for the help. In due time this beast will be running like it should and I can focus on getting the gelcoat back in shape.

Cheers
3)
tommer12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommer12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2005 at 9:46pm
I would have to say timing. But I'm no expert right 79nautique? I am only speaking from expierence that I had on mine. If pop open the distributor, under all the guts are the weights. There are two weights. They bothy have springs on them. If one spring is worn, or my case, it was broken... I want to say that the mechanical advance was off a datsaun or something like that... (local auto store found the p/n # in an old book)

But again.. if there is anyway to get out of mechanical advance.. I would...
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billgatesceo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2005 at 5:04pm
So the consensus it bad timing at the low end. should I be able to tell with a timing gun?
tommer12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommer12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2005 at 2:37pm
Sorry for the so called "bad advice"   I had a spring break in the mechanical advance go out which then after a certain RPM, the timing was off and the engine would miss. At lower RPM's you could not tell. so try again.. yes, springs go bad.
79nautique View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2005 at 12:58pm
You can't get rid of the springs and weights and have it run correctly, its call mechanical advance and if you remove them it run even worse. The dist is ylu-554-cv for a reverse rotation engine. And a spring doesn't go bad. Dude you are so out in left field.
tommer12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommer12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2005 at 5:47am
The distributor is probably a weighted system. Meaning if you open it, you will see weights on springs. The springs have gone bad and the boat can't keep the timing correct.     I had the same problem when I had my 84.. get rid of all that crap!
gwatson View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gwatson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2005 at 3:07am
mallory lym554cv dist. and an epoxy coil. Rebuild the carb, full tune up and the impeller too. Good luck.
882001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 882001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2005 at 2:38am
get rid of the points as fast as you can!!!! try www.vintageperformance.com thats how my boat used to run when i got it. i got the high performance coil and the electronic ignition for around 100.00.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billgatesceo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2005 at 2:12am
Oh yeah, b/c of the condition of the engine was running, I was going back to the dock to drop off the truck/trailer driver, and was gonna do the ol' head in, put it in reverse and swing the back end to parallel park the boat...and the thing died. Ran right into the dock and knocked the front light off. Took a little out of the gelcoat too, but not too bad.

And on my way out to load on the trailer, I had to give it a little too much gas to keep the engine running, and I clipped the left rear rubrail pretty good on the scaffolding of the dock. They really need to put some covering over that stuff. Oh well....another project to fix those things... but I enjoy it. Just need to get the motor running top notch before I work on the asthetics.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billgatesceo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2005 at 2:08am
We went out to board today. Everything was kosher right at the start. But, midway through my set, my bud said that it was pulling real sluggish. When he hit it..it took a good 30sec before it would get up to speed. When I changed to be the driver I experienced the same thing. It felt like it was running on only 6-7 cylinders. Strange thing, is that in neutral, it would rev up good. Except, at the lower end, it seem to stumble, and at idle, it was running real ruff, unless you gave it alot of gas.

Also, there was a bad whining coming from the engine. I traced it to the impeller making alot of noise. At least it was still cooling, but real noisy.

List of things to do:

1) Change out impeller, maybe belts too.

2) Change out sparkplugs too, maybe wires, but will start with plugs first.

3) Order holley rebuild kit for the carburator and tear the thing apart a rebuild it. Never torn a vehical/marine carb apart, so it should be a good lesson.

Any other ideas or insights. The new starter is still chugging along great.

Cheers,
Brandon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
  Share Topic