Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rough Idle/Stall after use

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
benwa43 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benwa43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rough Idle/Stall after use
    Posted: July-09-2009 at 4:57pm
I have a 2002 196, gt-40 (350 hours). The boat idles very rough and sometimes stalls after it has been sitting for 45 minutes + after being run. If it stalls, it will start right back up but will idle rough and may stall a second time. It also smells like it is running rich during this rough idle/stall period. This only happens when the boat is hot, say after pulling 3 skiers in a row and then letting the boat sit at the dock for a while. Once I give it some throttle the idle will smooth out some and then once I give it throttle to pull the skier up the boat will operate fine. This problem seems to be getting progressively worse.
I have performed the following:
New fuel filter
New temperature sensor
New cap and rotor
2002, 196 GT-40
mtguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2009 at 11:26pm
You've probably thought of this, but is your gas fresh? Are you sucking in air, like through your raw water filter? I had a problem last year where ran rough and it was the small inline fuel filter. Sorry, I ask way more questions than I have answers for, but thought I'd throw those at ya. Where you at in Idaho? I'm a Priest laker.
'95 SN

'53 Hutchuck

'56 Essaness Craft
almabes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote almabes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2009 at 12:33pm
Have you replaced plug wires? It sounds to me like a misfire is developing when the air under the engine cover gets hot and humid.
favorite computer wisdom: net helpmsg 4006
'76 Martinique PCM 351W
benwa43 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benwa43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2009 at 3:45pm
I have not replaced the plug wires but I could try that. The fuel is fresh. I run it 3 - 4 times a week and go through a fair amount of fuel. It could be sucking in air through the strainer I suppose. There is a hairline crack in the strainer bowl up near the threads but I only notice it when it is hooked up to the hose. How would that affect hot starting. The problem is worse in hot weather and much less noticable in lower temperatures (uppers 70's, lower 80's).
2002, 196 GT-40
almabes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote almabes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2009 at 3:52pm
I would replace the wires. Those are the weakest part of the ignition system. I had an elusive miss on my boat that was solved with a new set of wires.

Just to be clear, is your boat engine a carbed, PCM 351W with GT40 heads?
'76 Martinique PCM 351W
benwa43 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benwa43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2009 at 4:05pm
It is a 2002 EFI GT-40. I would think if it were wires it would do it consistently (hot or cold) but I will replace them and see if it helps.
2002, 196 GT-40
almabes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote almabes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2009 at 4:26pm
Not necessesarrily. I'm on the crackberry so no long winded description of why. But believe me, plug wires are the weakest link on your ignition system.
'76 Martinique PCM 351W
benwa43 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benwa43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2009 at 8:44pm
I'll give it a try
2002, 196 GT-40
almabes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote almabes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2009 at 8:50pm
Let me know if it fixes things. I'd post a better discussion as to why I believe it will fix your problem if I was on a computer instead of the crackberry.
'76 Martinique PCM 351W
jerry@vail.net View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerry@vail.net Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2009 at 12:29pm
I am having the same problem. I have a 1999 Sport Nautique with the GT-40 EFI. I'm in Colorado running at 7200 feet above sea level. It will start right up cold in the morning and run great pulling wakeboarders/skaters/surfers all morning. Well anchor and take a 90 minute break for lunch. When I start the engine it will stall unless I rev the rpms up to over 1500-2000 and runs rough at idle. It seems to "work itself out" after a while (30+ minutes) of running at speed. I had the engine tuned up with new gas filter, spark plug wires etc.
Any ideas?
Thank you.
Jerry
almabes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote almabes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2009 at 1:20pm
IF you are slightly technical, you may want to peruse the GT-40 service manual. It looks like if you follow it's diagnostic procedures you can figure out your problem...
'76 Martinique PCM 351W

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerry@vail.net Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2009 at 8:22pm
My local PCM service dealer has suggested it could be vapor lock. They suggest keeping the blower on and opening the engine cover to vent the fumes for 30 minutes or so after running it for awhile to see if this fixes the symtoms. Does anyone have experience with this, or have an opinion?
Jerry
benwa43 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benwa43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2009 at 8:58pm
Someone recommended that I also check the vent tube to the gas tank to make sure it wasn't clogged. I haven't had an opportunity to check it out but hopefully this week I will get to it. Vapor lock is supposed to be nearly impossible with the fuel control cell. I have tried running the blower and venting the engine cover but it doesn't seem to make a difference.
2002, 196 GT-40
benwa43 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benwa43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2009 at 9:02pm
I will check out the manual. I am fairly comfortable with general maintenance and some more involved procedures.
2002, 196 GT-40

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerry@vail.net Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2009 at 11:57am
I checked out the Service Manual, the symptoms index suggests a number of possibilities in chart 3, 6 and maybe 10. I've checked out the easy ones, the other possibilities I'll likely have to have a PCM service tech check out for me. Before I do that, I'd like to see if there are any other possibilities to fix this. (The closest PCM tech is 150 miles away.) I will also try to figure out if the gas vent is clear.

I'm hoping there might be a likely suspect given the fact that this only happens after running the boat for a couple of hours then sitting for an hour. I'm in Colorado- hot sun, cold water, 80 degree air temp, very low humidity, 7200 feet above sea level.

The vapor lock theory is losing credibility with me after reading a few post and especially the one from Chris Broshar that said "vapor lock just doesn't happen on a boat".

I'll check out a few more things as suggested and report back.
Jerry
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2009 at 12:20pm
Jerry - There is a 'cold' spray that electronics guys use to find thermally intermittant component failures. Maybe this is something you can try when it acts up. Cool down the fuel line, igntion module, etc, one at a time.

Just a thought.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
almabes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote almabes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2009 at 1:00pm
You don't have to get the special cold spray. Regular old "Office Duster" is the same thing; just ignore the directions and hold the can upside down.
'76 Martinique PCM 351W
benwa43 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benwa43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2009 at 9:45pm
I made an interesting observation yesterday. I put the boat in the water and idled over to the dock. The boat probably ran for a total of 5 minutes. The air temperature was 101+. The boat then sat for 1 1/2 hours while we skied behind another boat. When I started the boat up to load it back on the trailer it ran horribly rough. It appears to be a temperature induced problem that is worse in hotter air temperature.
2002, 196 GT-40

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerry@vail.net Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2009 at 12:39am
I'm going out Friday and I'm planning on a few tests and observations, but I'm starting to think it's the high pressure fuel pump that starting to go on me. I'm hypothesizing that the problem with the pump gets worse as the temp increases. I'm going to bring a can of compressed air to cool it down if the symptoms occur and see what happens.
Jerry
benwa43 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benwa43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2009 at 3:36pm
I am wondering about the fuel pump as well. I am going to try and figure out a pressure gauge so I can measure fuel pressure when it runs fine and when it runs rough.
2002, 196 GT-40

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerry@vail.net Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2009 at 11:37am
I'm not really any closer to solving my problem, but it sure seems thermal related. I went out Friday, air temp in upper 70's and the symptoms were very minor. After running all morning, I opened to engine cover while at lunch, stalled only one on re-start and then ran fine. Yesterday it was a little cooler. I did even open the engine cover and not stall or idle roughly at all, it ran fine all day.

Does anyone know if it's common that when the fuel pump is starting to go, the problems are first noticeable at high temps?

The only thing I failed to mention in this thread is I put a new prop on while my other one is being repaired. It's an Acme 654 that seems to have better mid rpm speed, but less hole shot (requiring more throttle to get a skier up) than the original prop.
Jerry
NautiBrophy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NautiBrophy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2009 at 12:45pm
I have a friend that has a 1999 air nautique and is having the same problem and he has no idea what's wrong. He goes out skiing or wakeboarding for an hour or two shuts it down and then starts it back up and attempts to plane the boat out it stalls and dies. Please let me know if you ever figure out this problem.
benwa43 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benwa43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2009 at 3:22pm
I talked to a tech at Skidim and he recommended that I measure fuel pressure when it runs fine and when it starts to act up. It is supposed to be up near 100's again by the end of the week so hopefully I will have a chance to look at that this week.
2002, 196 GT-40

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerry@vail.net Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2009 at 4:34pm
Any luck diagnosing this problem? I'm still experiencing the same symptoms and I'm not any closer to a solution. I'm afraid I'll have to take it in to my local certified PCM service center - which is 100+ miles away.
Jerry
peteSki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peteSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2009 at 8:43pm
Hi,

Am just wondering if anyone found the exact cause of this issue?

I have a 97 Ski Nautique with GT-40 EFI and am having a very similar problem in that it starts and runs rough only after sitting for several minutes after use. On hotter days the problem seems to be worse.

Having tested much of the ignition system, I'm leaning towards there being a problem with the low or high pressure fuel pump that is temperature affected. I'm going to follow the advice in this post and try and test the fuel pressure before and during a rough start condition and go from there.

Pete
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2009 at 10:04pm
Maybe it is a fuel injector that leaks when it is hot.

Ben Franklin
peteSki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peteSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2009 at 10:43pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Maybe it is a fuel injector that leaks when it is hot.

Possible, however I had all the injectors tested and serviced about 8 months ago and they were all fine. Of course one could have developed this problem since then. How would I check for this? I would think I would need to pull out the plugs after running the engine and then letting it sit to examine them for excess fuel. Or I could put a fuel pressure tester on the fuel rail just after using the boat and monitor it to see if the pressure drops. Once the engine is off and the fuel pumps are off, how long should pressure stay in the fuel rails if all injectors are not leaking?

Pete
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2009 at 1:33pm
Pete - Those are great questions. This might be a case where it may be justified to take it to someone who knows those answers. The shop rate you would pay is justified in the knowledge they bring to the job.

JMO

Ben Franklin
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2009 at 5:17pm
normally the pressure should hold for some time, it shouldnt drop off immediatly, there should be some sort of fuel pressure regulator in the system which maintains pressure. 100lbs sounds very high and usually you will find injected systems in the 40 to 60 lb range and the pressure will hold. i got bit hard on a car recently, it wouldnt kick AT all, new fuel pump, relay. ended up being the spark plugs. i took a new plug to check for spark and didnt pull the old one until this morning. its tough to figure this stuff out sometimes shooting in the dark. i have a scanner but it doesnt get you there. you may have to bite the bullet and take it in cause the next thing you will be doing is bying 8 injectors and it wont be that
"the things you own will start to own you"
peteSki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peteSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2009 at 10:32am
Haven't had the boat out yet to do a fuel pressure test during a bad start, but did do a bit of troubleshooting today. I did a KOEO test and it indicated that the MAP sensor had a hard fault. I tested the wires from the ECU to the MAP sensor connector and they are OK, so it looks like I need a MAP sensor. From what I can find in the service manual, this might explain the intermittent rough starts and poor idling when the engine is hot. I do not have any specialty tools to actually test the MAP sensor itself, but since the connections look good and the vacuum hoses also look fine with no kinks, the sensor seems like the most likely culprit. Couldn't find this part listed on SkiDim or White Lake sites so I don't know how much a new one will cost, but will try some local automotive places.

Pete
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic