Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help Buying Boat....

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
Nelson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help Buying Boat....
    Posted: September-02-2010 at 9:15pm
Hello everyone, I am really glad to have stumbled upon this forum, tons of information here.

The reason for the post is I was hoping to get a couple of opinions. I am considering buying a 1986 Ski Nautique however it has no reverse, the owner says forward works fine. It also needs a starter, which I think is not that big a deal. As far as the transmission goes anyone have a best and worse case here? Thanks for the help

Nelson
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2010 at 11:38pm
Tranny rebuild will cost you about $800, not including shipping.     We have a tranny guy on this site that is the best in the business.        Starter probably can be rebuilt, but if not they are expensive (over $400).    You cannot use a car starter.

More important is for you to evaluate the stringers.     If they are rotted (& probably are) you are looking at $1500+ in materials alone (doing it yourself).

Post your location, chances are someone from the site will volunteer to look at it with you.

Good luck
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Nelson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2010 at 12:04am
Well thank you for the information. I am in Maine but the boat is in Concord NH. The owner just sent me an email that someone has told him they want the boat but hasn't come up with any money yet. He was only asking $2500 for it and is going to let me know on Monday. Mabye I should have jumped a little sooner???? lol....

Again thank you for the information, this forum is fantastic....

Nelson

63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2010 at 2:34am
Hi Nelson, I live in Concord, let me know if you want me to take a quick look at the boat and report back to you.

I promise I won't offer him $2501 and buy it out from under you!
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Nelson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2010 at 7:45am
Thank you very very much for the offer. I will certainly let you know if that other person doesnt show with the money, but I have a feeling that he will.

I also just noticed that the boat is a 25th aniv silver edition. Does that really make any difference? I noticed one on the for sale list that says they rare and collectable and the price us up in the 7-8K rangle.

Thanks again for the offer

Nelson
ryanowen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanowen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2010 at 12:15pm
I don't think the silver edition makes that big of a deal on the value at this point. I wouldn't pay much if any more for that over another 2001 model. For 2500 it's likely a big project boat, but that price seems good if it's all there. Can he get the boat to run or is the starter totally shot?
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2010 at 1:35pm
Nelson-

You should consider that boat a $4500 boat from the start. You will spend 1K on the driveline. $500+ on the motor. Throw in another $500 for other stuff you find broken that needs fixed. And what about the stringers...etc?

Unless you really want a project boat don't buy this boat. For $5-7K you can find some great deals in november....possibly even a '93 without wood.

I know nothing about your mechanical ability or finances.... so you might consider sharing those.

Tim

Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Owner / Operator of CorrectCraftFan.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2010 at 3:10pm
Nelson,
The Silver Nautiques or only worth more when in mint condition. Otherwise, it's a project boat just like any other 2001.

63 Skier offered to look at it for you. There are others in the area as well including MacCallum's Boathouse (Nautique dealer in nearby Epsom - where we just had the Northeast Reunion). Peter MacCallum is a great guy. If you went to look at the boat yourself, you could probably bring it to MacCallum's for the test drive (Northwood Lake - 15 mins. from Concord), and maybe get their opinion on it as well.

-Keith

Edit: That's if it will start and actually power forward.
Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2010 at 8:26pm
Any news?

You don't know until you look. Does it start? If not, you have to wonder why someone wouldn't put a $400 starter in, a running boat ought to be worth a few grand more than a non-runner. But, the tranny doesn't work either - so maybe the owner says "what the hell, just get rid of it". Again, no way to know until you look. For me, if the boat wasn't abused looking, and stringers not gone, I'd turn the engine over with a breaker bar and at that price maybe take my chances. But, that's just me!
Nelson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2010 at 10:08pm
63 Skier,

I havnt heard from him yet, but he did tell me that he was going to give this other person until Monday to come up with the money. So at this point I am hoping that falls through. He did post that the boat does run and can be used just not in reverse. He said he used it last weekend. He sent me a bunch of pictures and the boat looks pretty good, the hull has a few scuffs and scratchs but its hard to tell how bad they are. The interior looks very good only one rip in the bench seat in that back. I will see if I can post some of them.

Nelson
Nelson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2010 at 10:23pm
Ok, I think I got the pictures uploaded, let me know if this doesnt work.

1986 Ski Nautique Pictures
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2010 at 10:52pm
Interesting! I'd be curious to hear from someone who knows more about these, I know very little, is that original upholstery or a re-do, the motor box looks a bit strange to me. The engine almost looks like it's been out in the elements, more like a car engine than an enclosed boat engine, not sure why.

Lots of scuffs and scratches, maybe left un-covered a lot?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2010 at 1:33am
Well if the engine really does run I would give $2500 for it since it is a bit rare. Some wetsanding and cleanup on the gel would do it some good. Lots of cosmetic work that could be done to get it looking OK....but not new.

Nelson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2010 at 11:42pm
Ok so now the guy who was going to buy the boat is suppose to show up Tuesday at 6pm and if he doesnt the owner will show the boat to me. Kinda of frustration, I think my offer just went down 100 bucks...lol..
Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2010 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

Interesting! I'd be curious to hear from someone who knows more about these, I know very little, is that original upholstery or a re-do, the motor box looks a bit strange to me. The engine almost looks like it's been out in the elements, more like a car engine than an enclosed boat engine, not sure why.

Lots of scuffs and scratches, maybe left uncovered a lot?

I've owned a Silver. For the Silver Nautiques, the interior is the same as other '86 Ski Nautiques but just in black and grey. Besides the obvious black and metal flake gel and graphic differences, the dash plate is the only other unique item to the Silver.

I can tell you from experience, keeping the gel looking showroom is difficult but really only elbow grease. The decals would be impossible to come by so you'd need to get those redone - which should be easy at any good sign shop.

The dash in another story. The dash was screened and when it starts to fade, it's gone. I had looked into getting some decals for the dash (wouldn't look the same but would be better than nothing) and may even have some files laying around for that.

I agree, the photos show that it will need a lot of sanding and buffing of the gel, but as long as those scratches aren't too deep, that should come back. The interior looks like it was redone. The black stripes look too thin and it's missing the dark grey stripe in between.

If you do a search in the Diaries for 'silver' you'll find 12 different boats listed. All of them have the interior shown here:

My guess is the engine looks like that because it had water in the bilge for long periods of time (multiple seasons at the dock with no cover?).

However, if the engine runs, I'd say easily worth the $2,500.

Nelson, good luck! I hope it works out for you. I would love to see another Silver Nautique in the neighborhood, on the site and at the Northeast Reunion.

-Keith
Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
Nelson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2010 at 10:04pm
Well good news for me the guy who was going to buy it never showed up, so the owner is willing to show it.

63 skier, I was just wondering if I might take you up on your offer of taking a look at it for me. I am in the process of finding out exactly where it is. I have his phone number email me if your able,

Nelsonpeters@roadrunner.com

And agian thank you very much.

Nelson
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2010 at 1:07am
Will do, just saw your email.
Nelson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2010 at 9:49pm
Ok, so I need to get a couple more sets of eyeballs on this. Take a look at the underside of this boat. Wow what is up with that and how much would it cost to fix, or can it??

More Pictures of the 1986 Silver...Thanks to 63 Skier
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2010 at 12:38am
That needs a full re-gel. Big time $ & time commitment. I'd keep looking.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2010 at 2:11am
Wow....

Makes you wonder what you have to do to one to get it to look that bad? Major project!!

My '86 had 1600 hours on it and it was still in great shape.

Might be worth $2500 in parts.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2010 at 2:45am
This is a good example for the saltwater thread. It does not matter where it's used,if you don't take care of or have pride in what you own, this is how it turns out. Offer him 1000,run it until dies and part it out.
Mine was 4 years newer when I got it and I paid 150.00

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Nelson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2010 at 12:02pm
I had a feeling that this was caused by sitting in water most of its life, but had never even given any thought to salt water. That makes alot of sense. What really scares me is this is most likly only a picture of how the boat was taken care of. I think I am going to pass on this one, so if someone out there is interested let me know I will gladly pass on the owners information, but just know you would be in for an expensive ride.

Thanks everyone

Nelson
NAUTI84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAUTI84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2010 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by Nelson Nelson wrote:

Ok, so I need to get a couple more sets of eyeballs on this. Take a look at the underside of this boat. Wow what is up with that and how much would it cost to fix, or can it??

More Pictures of the 1986 Silver...Thanks to 63 Skier

WOW - Now that's one abused boat!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2010 at 12:40pm
Yep, that boat is ugly. At 1500 I might have been interested, but not at 2500.

I had emailed the seller before you posted last week and he finally just got back to me yesterday... apparently the boat is sold. Strange.
Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2010 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by Nelson Nelson wrote:

.. I am going to pass on this one. Thanks everyone
Nelson

Good call Nelson. Boy, it is so painful to see a Nautique, never mind a Silver Nautique, looking like that. Very sad.

Best to move on.

-Keith
Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2010 at 7:22pm
I spoke to the seller on the phone before I went to look, we had a nice conversation, very pleasant guy. I'll try to get together with him to ski at some point. He and his brothers bought a Super Air so that's why he's selling this. He bought it new, has loved the boat, hates to see it go. Why it ended up in this condition - not sure. Good call by Nelson to pass, it will take someone that wants a serious winter project to put this back in decent shape.

So now the task is to find Nelson a decent, turn-key (or almost) boat for reasonable money. Anyone have any leads, preferably Maine or NH where he could take a look without too long a drive?
skicat2001 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2010 at 9:04pm
Man the outside of that silver has been beat all to hell, but interior looks good. She could be a buy, but would need some garage winter TLC to get her back sharp again.
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2010 at 12:08am
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

So now the task is to find Nelson a decent, turn-key (or almost) boat for reasonable money. Anyone have any leads, preferably Maine or NH where he could take a look without too long a drive?

What ball park is reasonable money in????
Nelson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2010 at 11:48pm
So what do you guys think of boats with alot of hours and when I say alot I mean 2460 hours on a 1981 ski nautique. I have come across another boat however it has alot of hours. I owner says it's 100% but with that many hours I'm thinking not for long.....The interior has been redone but thats it. Engine and trans are all original. I will see if I cant get some photos up.

Nelson
Nelson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2010 at 11:55pm
Ok that was much faster then last time. Here are some pictures.

The swim platform is new also. I am wondering if that water line stain should be alarming. Or am I spooked from the other boat with the messed up hull.

1981 Ski Naut with alot of hours
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic