Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Clatter going into forward and reverse intermitten
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Clatter going into forward and reverse intermitten

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
Spievy79 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spievy79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2015 at 9:03am
I'm thinking its a goner but I do have the spare so I'll see what I can do with it. It should just be as easy as moving my resistor wires back over and I'm guessing pick up a new coil as well?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2015 at 9:26am
Joel,
Don't worry about the dwell meter just yet. Set the point gap with the feeler gauge, see if the problem persists and then go after it with the meter.

I wouldn't worry about the coil ether. Many run the "high performance" coils on point sets. Do check to see if it needs the ballast resistor or not.

BTW, I'd leave the point set in the boat!! It's been debated many times but in my opinion, the EI conversions are a PITA and do nothing. Were you expecting a performance gain?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Spievy79 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spievy79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2015 at 10:11am
I've had points in all of my past boats and they worked fine. Hell, I don't know why I felt the urge to try the ei, several buddies of mine raved about them. I personally thus far disagree on both ends. It MAY be my running problem and it's definitely not improved my cold or warm starts either so I do not see the benefit. I guess because I did not know how to replace or adjust points and nobody I talk to seems to either where I live, I figured it might be a positive upgrade was all.
Spievy79 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spievy79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2015 at 10:15am
Btw Pete, what should the gap be with the feeler gauges? I was thinking I had read .018 somewhere?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2015 at 1:09pm
The .018 sounds good but do check the manual. In a pinch and at a landing, I've even used a matchbook cover!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Spievy79 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spievy79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2015 at 11:21pm
Well I grabbed my spare distributor and had forgotten that it had the older style prestolite electronic ignition in it so hence, no plate 👎🏻, so I am currently searching to find one. In the meantime I have been making some different changes and I was actually able to get it to run and stay running....however what I did is certainly not a permanent solution but maybe explaining what I did may throw flags to one of you experts?? I advanced the timing to 13-14 btdc first off, then I have my drivers side mixture screw at 2 turns out and my passenger side out 2 1/4 turns. I am able to be at 650 in gear but idle in neutral is 850. It is pretty shaky but idles and doesn't die. When I get to WOT though it is popping so I'm not sure if that's because it's a bit advanced or what. Any input as always is appreciated. I'm certainly not planning to keep things this way I just figured I would try some different things while trying to located the parts to reinstall the points again.
Spievy79 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spievy79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2015 at 1:53pm
Well as hard as it is to admit it turns out I had a dumb$&@ attack....I pulled all my spark plugs and cylinders #5 and #8 were fouled and wet. Fearing the worst I did a compression test and all eight cylinders were between 123-130 so that was a good thing. So I decided maybe my checking and rechecking the firing order upon my build initially I somehow screwed it up. I swapped 5 and 8 and boom, she started right up didn't shake and I ran Her to about 45mph @ about 4800 rpm which I never even came close to since this engine has been in. At best I could get to maybe 3300 rpm before. So, problem solved. I really appreciate everyone's help, it always comes back around to the basics it seems.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic