Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

90 SN 351 idle problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
Kylecraft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kylecraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2006 at 4:01pm
funny you mention that.

The mech its at right now has done very little to this boat. He installed the new starter and worked on it a few years ago when we had a vapor lock (float bowl problem if I recall).

he is the type of mech that you have to spell out what you want him to do. He is very smart and does a good job, but also is very busy and if he fixes one problem he stops there unless you tell him that something else isn't right. Which is a reason I wanted to get other opinions so when I talk to him I can bring up other points or make suggestions and see what he says.

what is funny is that I took the boat to the only correct craft dealer in ontario; Pride of Muskoka. They kept our boat for over 2 months from June until mid august for a new muffler and to fix the idle problem. This is a huge dealer for CC and our summer's are short (mid june-mid sept)

I'm not going to get into it but these guys screwed us around more than I have ever seen by any business. I wrote CC and they were great, but our little pos 90 SN didn't mean squat to them or the 100s of new boats they sell. And as you can see I still have an idle problem. At that time they checked over everything (they said) but when I went directly to the mech that worked on the boat and bypassed the bs'ers at the front desk we went out together and he showed me how to perform a "poor mans tune up" by opening the choke and forcing some of the crap out of it. After a few grand and 2 months of sitting I never wanted to see or talk to them again. I will never buy a new CC because of these guys (they are the only dealer in ontario) and never recommend them to anybody for anything (not that they care, even though I'm involved in the provincial waterski assoc.).

You're right about one thing, if my mech can't fix it this time I will try someone else. However, it is hard to find people that work on these boats around my area and I would do it all if I had the right tools and the time.
thanks,
Kyle
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2006 at 4:12pm
you've done a lot of things you didn't need to and most dealer mechanics are fresh out of school and don't know anything. And maybe you have your terms wrong but what you do is close the choke butter fly plate while raising the rpm to flush the jets, not realy a tune-up at all or anything for that matter.
Kylecraft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kylecraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2006 at 4:15pm
I do have my terms messed up.

the butterfly plate is closed at start up so it wont start; I have to pull the arrestor off and open it manually to fire it up. I was told that by closing it and revving up the motor is effectively a "poor mans tune up", and the mech wasn't fresh he was older and knew what was going on. Unfortunately he was probably being paid nothing and they wouldn't want him fooling around with us when he could be working on something else.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2006 at 4:17pm
And start looking for a new mechanic if he is not suggesting what else is wrong then you are either not letting him do his job and tell him specificly what to do or he's not diagnoising the problem and fix it correctly.

Most good mechanics will ask what problems you are having then tell you what all needs to be fixed, not you telling him what you want fixed, that's foolish because he is missing out on a lot of work by not fix the problem and only do what they are told to do.
Kylecraft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kylecraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2006 at 4:22pm
ya he may be missing out, but he is very busy at this time of year. come september/october before snowmobiles he would be glad to take a lot of time.

I just tell him what problems we were having and he agreed that a carb rebuild is a good idea. He knows the choke is not working properly and that I thought gas was running through the motor.

I will give him the benefit of the doubt until I get the boat back. If he fixes these problems he will continue to get my business for this boat and my other toys.

I appreciate the help, and wish someone would have taken the time like you have to help when we were initially confronted with this problem.
I just want to be on the water; I only get to go out on the weekends and there are so few anyways.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2006 at 4:24pm
I've been out once this year and it wasn't even in my boat.
Kylecraft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kylecraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2006 at 4:34pm
boo hoo, if only it were a perfect world.

I used to coach and ski all summer long, now I stare onto a 12 lane highway! tis life I guess. Just sucks knowing when I go to pick up my boat it may not work properly. Its all I have to keep me sane...
TerraNovaSkier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TerraNovaSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2006 at 5:08pm
Kylecraft,

I hope you get your problems worked out and get out on the water ASAP. I know the feeling of a short season as we have here in NL.

Did you say you were involved with a PSO of WWC? I am the President of the PSO in NL and trying to get my '91 Nautique back in good working order as well.

Lots to learn here for sure, along with the process of elimination for diagnosing problems!

Good luck!
1991 Nautique owner
Kylecraft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kylecraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2006 at 5:54pm
Thanks for the kind words! I've been involved in the Ontario Water Ski Association for over a dozen years as a volunteer, coach and compet*tor.

Where do you ski on the rock?
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2006 at 12:40pm
Kylecraft:

Make sure and tell us how the carb repair works out for you. Don't worry too much about 79Nautique, he means well. One of his biggest hangups is timing being perfect. My experience tells me that timing, while important for a well running engine throughtout the rpm range is not so important in achieving a good idle. Sure, way advanced or retarded will greatly effect idle, but anything close to spec and it should idle relative good on the idle circuits.

Again, your description tells me that the engine is flooding while on the idle circuits, so you have to introduce more air hence out of the idle circuits, to keep it from stalling. 79Nautique did mention vacuum leak as a possible cause, and I agree. So, look for obvious and not so obvious vacuum leak sources. One not so obvious is the manifold gaskets. Start by making sure all the manifold bolts are torqued to about 35 ft-lbs. Also, check the carburetor base gasket...but this will be done during the rebuild process. Basically, any air introduce below the carburetor is unmetered and hence will cause idle problems (usually unable to get it low enough).

One other thing to remember is that carburetors on boats can and do corrode on the inside from water in the fuel. If this is the case, all the rebuilding in the world will not solve the problem for more than one or two uses (after rebuild). Bottom line is that the carb should be replaced. Once the corrosion starts, it never sleeps.

Good luck and let us know how things turn out.
Kylecraft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kylecraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2006 at 1:25pm
Thanks a lot, I will be sure to follow up here when its been done. I hope its all positive (fingers crossed).

I think you're right about the leak, and if replacing the carb is the solution then so be it. I will then have a new starter, muffler, tranny, and carb. I may need a new water pump, but its been good to me so far...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2006 at 1:28pm
makesure that the spacer plate that goes under the carb is no warped and that you do not have a vaccum leak from the hose between the spacer plate and PCV valve.
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2006 at 3:56pm
Ditto. I had a vaccum leak I couldn't seem to fix. When I laid my spacer plate on sand paper on the flattest floor I could find (as I recall I used a window pane I had in the garage), rubbing on the sand paper showed the spacer was warped. You couldn't otherwise see the warp with your eyes.
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2006 at 4:03pm
Also, you should adjust your carb after you set your timing - no way around it.
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
Kylecraft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kylecraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2006 at 10:49am
ok guys, had the boat out again this weekend as the parts had just come in on friday so no use in pulling everything off. My mech is going to pull the carb, soak it and put the kit in and then see if we can find out where we are losing oil pressure from.

so I noticed a few things. 1 is that there is no gas in the oil (good!). However the oil pressure seems to be getting worse as the motor warms up. When I fired up the boat on saturday it ran great; no oil light and pressure was right up to 30-40psi, until later in the day after an hour on it or so it started bogging out and the oil pressure dropped.

It now sits around 20 when at skiing speed and really low at idle around 5-10psi - to the point where you have to rev it up to gain psi and turn the idiot light off.

any extra thoughts on where we are losing pressure? If my mech doesn't fix it this week I am going to have to take it somewhere else or do it myself its getting too expensive.

thx
KC
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2006 at 11:21am
what weight oil are you using?

The only fix your going to have to fix the oil pressure issue is re-building the motor because the bearings are shot causing the lose of pressure.

the only other thing that it could be is a bad sending unit, or a poorly grounded sending unit. but since it reads fine when cold I doubt it's bad.
Kylecraft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kylecraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2006 at 11:25am
10w30 synthetic oil.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2006 at 11:44am
that explains a lot, syn isn't very good with old motors,

try some 20w-50 non syn oil and that might help you out for a while but a re-build is in your future.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2006 at 11:47am
I agree with dumping the oil in there, your engine calls for staight 40w I believe. I don't think your pressure problems are too bad, just borderline when warm the oil change alone might work out.
-Joe.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Kylecraft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kylecraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2006 at 11:50am
thanks guys, this is the first time I've used sythetic. I've always used 10w30 in 351s including my 79supreme with no problems. and the oil pressure was never this bad.

I have my manual at home and I always thought straight 10w30. I will use regular oil and whatever it recommends for weight and then go from there.

what are the differences with the 20w50, 10w40, etc?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2006 at 12:09pm
the higher the the number the thicher/heavier the oil gets or is. If you had a lot of colder weather then the thicher oils can cause cold start issue like slower cranking speeds because the oil is thick cold then thins out when it gets hot. Since your engine appears to have some wear based upon the oil pressure reading I would go with a heavier oil and with the summer temps you won't have an issue. But I would use 20w-50 or straight 40 if you can find it.
Kylecraft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kylecraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2006 at 1:08pm
Thanks guys, got some 20w50 high temp oil that I'll put in er and see if it adds psi. If it doesn't, could there still be some kind of vacume leak that causes the pressure to drop as the motor heats up?

Worst case scenario being a rebuild of the crank bearings - how much time and how much $$$ would this cost me to have done by a pro?

would an engine swap be more cost effective?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2006 at 1:14pm
there is nothing that can be done beside replacing the bearing to improve oil pressurer unless the oil pump is shot, but they usually don't
Kylecraft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kylecraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2006 at 1:23pm
Ya, I doubt the oil pump is shot if it gives good pressure when its not up to full temp; right? That said, how much does a full bearing job usually run?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2006 at 1:25pm
it's called a re-built motor, you can get a short block or a long block 1,500-3,000+ depending on what your having done to it.
Kylecraft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kylecraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2006 at 1:33pm
so I can't pull the motor and just replace the bearings? I have to replace the whole block? my pistons I'm assuming are good because compression reads well. I'm assuming its the long block that I would need, but whats the difference?
tommer12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommer12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2006 at 1:53pm
Not sure if this will work, but I have used the Engine Restore in my Jeep Wranglers and they have worked wonders. It increased my oil pressure everytime and sealed up anything that my have been leaking. I have had great sucess in in. Might be worth a try rather than pulling the engine.

Oh.. wait... to hear 79nautique chimming in knock this theory down?    (just jokin 79nautique!)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2006 at 1:59pm
it's a lot cheaper than a re-build and is a band-aid at best, it usually will only increase your compression, can't hurt, just add it when you put the heavier weight oil in it.
Kylecraft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kylecraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2006 at 3:40pm
I will buy some restore, any brand recommendations or ways to better add it?

I'm not going to jump the gun on the rebuild just yet. This all goes back to my idle issue, so we'll see what happens once my carb is rebuilt and my timing is perfect.

I don't know if I can justify a rebuilt motor on this boat. If I can't get the pressure up any other way than I might just sell it and pass off the problems to someone else.
thx
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2006 at 4:22pm
Kylecraft, hopefully your carb rebuild does the trick and a rebuild isnt necessary! If that doesnt do the trick and you decide to let her go, theres a chance I may be interested. What color is your boat and where exactly are you located?

Good luck!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic