Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Marine stereo upgrades

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2007 at 11:47am
forgot ...i ordered 4 6.5 in round polk audio db 650's from crutchfield and they were buy one set get the other 50% off w/ free s&h.........same deal with the infinitys.....check them out..i got both sets for 150 shipped..........cant wait too hook them up, i hear from guys that they scream and have lots of ba$$ for a 6.5!
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2007 at 12:26pm
Ryan- the Sony head unit I have puts out 52x4. I think I may take your advice and save the money, I could always add an amp later. I checked with Crutchfield (one of my favorite retailers)I don't think they are offering the buy one get one half off anymore. the Infinity speakers I was looking at were $149 a pair. I ran a froogle search (on Google, great way to compare price) and found them for $86.50 at hookedontronicsbuys.com

Word to the wise: it pays to shop around for this stuff online. Froogle is a great tool for this.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2007 at 9:22pm
randy..........i see that promotion ended the first week of january........your head unit will be fine powering them.....if im correct the infinitys run around 70-75 rms..........put the monies towards something else
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2007 at 9:32pm
just did a lil comparison of my own

polk audio db 650 6.5"
sensitivity 92 db
6-60 watts rms
2 way crossover built in
marine use
80.00 a pair right now.....total 160

infinity kappa 6.5"
sensitivity 91 db
8-75 watts rms
marine use
149.99 a pair.........total 300.00

the infinitys are not worth the extra 140.00. plus imo i hate the "marine white" grillz...just someething to think about, save your money on the eternal amp, and the 140.00 on the speakers and put towards a quality amp or subwoofer.......powered subs are a little weak on a boat setup!..ok im done!
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2007 at 9:50pm
MM; Let me know when Stang is in town if you could please. I would like to try and get to meet him. Sounds as tho Hollywood is coming this way in Feb as well. Kevin, if you are reading this please let me know when you are planning to be here.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2007 at 1:34am
Ryan, I found the Infinity speakers here for $86.50. I appreciate your input and I think the Polks are real nice, but I have to go with the Infinity's. I have two pair of component Kappa's in my truck and they are fantastic. I prefer the white grills, they match the interior of my boat, that was another deciding factor for me.
you are probably right about the powered sub being a little weak for the boat. I will give it a try. if it's not enough i'll look for something else.

Thanks

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2007 at 9:44am
Made marxx, to make them real custom, you raise the speaker out ward and stretch material all the way around the area, the material forms itself, when you have the material stretched you then resin the material and let it dry, then you go from there with mesh and more resin then you use duragla$$ and bondo and finish.
I base coat clear coat and it gives a factory look
"the things you own will start to own you"
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2007 at 9:55am
eric you got me confused!
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2007 at 11:48am
eric...thats the hard way, too much work for something that is going behind my helm seat, but nice if its going to be looked at alot.
dans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2007 at 7:43pm
Hurculiner works great on sub boxes . The $ 29.00 small can will coat a box easy .I dab it on with a brush . I just did the inside of my wifes Jeep . It seems to make the ba$$ hit harded if you coat the box in this stuff . Randy I screw my amps the the box . Shorter wires & it stays dry . I also do this in my cars . The only bad thing is it makes it easy for a thief to grab both . I did use the battery for power & ground , then for power to the cd I ran it to the amp power wire . Used the ignition key for the on wire . No issues so far . Dan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2007 at 8:03pm
Ryan-

Alright, you got me thinking... so, I pulled out my unused 6.5" speaker grills that came with the Infinity's in my truck and set them up in the boat to see what dark grills would look like. I'm convinced now. The dark speakers really look nice next to the gray and red strip. I found the Polk db650's on sale a Circuit City $99 a pair/ Buy one get second pair 1/2 off!! $150 for all four! Going to pick them up tomorrow.

Thanks for making me think about this

BTW- Dug out the Bazooka powered sub I have, it is an 8" 100W, well see what happens...
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2007 at 8:28pm
Just notice this,Polk db650 are the same speakers CC puts in their new boats.
882001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 882001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2007 at 8:04am
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2007 at 5:25pm
no problem-glad to see you got a great deal on the polks!........and saved some money!. yea i do not like the looks of the marine white grillz at all, i think the black grillz look much better...i mounted mine a few days ago(take out all interior before winter) and the look slick..
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2007 at 11:13am
Ryan- I ended up getting the Polks for $49.99 a pair! I went to Circuit City and they had them marked $86.00 a pair, told them about the buy one get second pair 1/2 off deal I had seen online, when they said $105.98 for both pair I didn't argue. They sound great! and they seem very durable. Glad I got away from the white grills. I will try to post some pics later.

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2007 at 3:02pm
wow i thought i got a great price from crutchfield!.......randy, what lakes do you go to, seeing that your in canton?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2007 at 4:51pm
Ryan- I just picked my boat in September and I have only had it out three times. I live close to Portage Lakes but plan on taking it mostly to West Branch, Lake Milton, Berlin possibly. May take a trip to the Ohio River Or Sandusky Bay...
Where do you usually go?

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2007 at 5:24pm
Old Speakers

New Polk db650

Sony Head unit

8" Bazooka

Inside of Bazooka(I sprayed circuit board with lacquer to help protect it) after seeing the inside of this thing, I think it will be upgraded in the future, not bad for now

Solderer and shrink tube on each connection

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2007 at 10:36pm
Originally posted by Randy_in_Ohio Randy_in_Ohio wrote:

Ryan- I just picked my boat in September and I have only had it out three times. I live close to Portage Lakes but plan on taking it mostly to West Branch, Lake Milton, Berlin possibly. May take a trip to the Ohio River Or Sandusky Bay...
Where do you usually go?

Now there is some names from the past. I have skied them all execpt the river. I gotta believe that they are all pretty crowded now execpt the Bay. Our ski club, West Shore Water Ski Club has a cottage in Bayview, at the south end of the bay between the Rt-6 bridge and the old Bay bridge. Doesn't get used much anymore, water to low. But all thru the 70's,80's and 90's it was great skiing up there.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2007 at 10:44pm
jbear, yeah, they are all pretty crowded on the weekends, but during the week it's not too bad. it will have to do until I wise up and move back down south!

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2007 at 10:46pm
The door is always open in Lake Wales and the temp here was in the mid 70's today.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2007 at 10:51pm
Thanks jbear, you don't have to rub it in... it's about 30 here
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2007 at 10:53pm
BRRRRRRRRR.
"Loud pipes save lives"

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2007 at 11:13pm
I know, I had my kerosene heater going in the garage the other night, equivalent of pissing on a bonfire...

I was just looking at where you are at on the google map, you have a lot of lakes near you! I lived in Boca and in Jupiter Fla. in my early teen years, lived right across the street from the ocean. I loved it!
I have in laws in Palm Bay. If we ever make a trip down I will be sure to stop by for a couple cold ones!
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2007 at 11:41pm
Lots of Lakes-lots of gators. It would be cool to be closer to the ocean but it is quieter and cheaper here. If you are ever in this neck-o-the woods you better stop!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2007 at 9:57am
randy-i live in chippewa lake so i dont travel to far unless i make it a week or weekend......but salt fork tappan pleasant hill ohio river are all fun cool places within an hr from you(besides the river).........portage is cool for some bar hoppin/live bands and food.....skiing zone is as big as my backyard!...........never been to west branch in ravenna............
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2007 at 10:14am
ryan, Salt fork is a place I want to check out this summer. I have never been there myself but hear it is a fun lake. I am only about ten minutes from Portage lakes, but as you mentioned the ski zone is small, but a fun lake for bar hopping

Hey jbear, at least ryan and I don't have to worry about those gators If I find myself in
Fla. you can count on a visit from me. I'll need an excuse to get away from the in laws!
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2007 at 10:27am
Randy, I would let you use my lake rights but somebody ruined it, (aurora shores) Monday through friday no one is on the lake, even the weekends its pretty slim with boats. we have a 18ft limit on the lake but it is unlimited HP. I dumped a 26' baha and buzzed the lake (twins open exhaust) well that was the last time i did that
West branch on the weekend's is a frenzy its great if the family wants to tube
"the things you own will start to own you"
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2007 at 10:43am
Eric, I bet you got some attention with that 26' Baha!
65 'cuda View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 65 'cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2007 at 10:44am
Same polks I put in my '65, although I hade to mount them on spacers, there was not quite enough room behind the panels before the magnets would hit the hull. All of the marine speakers were much too deep. I need to add a Small powered sub and crossover to let the polks work better. I am out of room, and won't add any more weight up under the dash. maybe a little ported enclosure under the back seat?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic