FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

learning to foot

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 5>
Author
Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Owner / Operator of CorrectCraftFan.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2007 at 2:27pm
My limited success with cheeking out has been to lean back and ride on your elbow. Also, don't wait. Cheek out as soon as you can.

Good luck!

-Keith
Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2007 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by Keith Keith wrote:

My limited success with cheeking out has been to lean back and ride on your elbow. Also, don't wait. Cheek out as soon as you can.

Good luck!

-Keith

Leaning back can cause you to bounce which = out of control, FYI.

Tim

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2007 at 2:46pm
You may just want to start just off the table like where Hollywood is (white suit), cheeking out is really not totally necessary.

To cheek see how much I am leaning in this shot, once you get over the wake you need to be ready to stand quickly or you may just get sucked back in.

Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2007 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by behindpropeller behindpropeller wrote:

Tim

No doubt Tim. I meant just when cheeking. I need to lean back more than when trying to plant and ride my elbow outside the wake.

I hear the bouncing issue however. I have the this problem once I'm outside the wake and am getting ready to plant.
Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2007 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by Keith Keith wrote:

Originally posted by behindpropeller behindpropeller wrote:

Tim

No doubt Tim. I meant just when cheeking. I need to lean back more than when trying to plant and ride my elbow outside the wake.

I hear the bouncing issue however. I have the this problem once I'm outside the wake and am getting ready to plant.

The problem with telling people to lean back is that they tend to stay leaned back once it is time to plant. Once they do that they drop their feet off of the rope and crash while trying to plant.

When I teach, the need to get to a sitting glide position asap, and I take care of getting them out of the wake for the first few times, having a shorter line helps too. Going from the proper butt glide position to a plant is a lot easier.

Tim

87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2007 at 6:54pm
Here are a few shots of me long lining last Friday.

Here are a couple of my borther.

Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2007 at 7:16pm
Hmm, so you just stand up in the wake? No cheeking for you? I guess with a proper line length the water's fine for footing back there.
1978 Nautique

FBook - www.facebook.com/charliedontsurfct
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2007 at 7:19pm
You guys got some great looking form there, nice work!
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2007 at 7:23pm
It helps to have a BFN
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2007 at 7:24pm
Hey James, you guys have come along way in a little over a month, keep it up and keep watching that video.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2007 at 7:36pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

It helps to have a BFN

Maybe, maybe not. In that last photo, it looks like a very turbulent table. Partially explained if thats a 75 foot rope. Some boats offer a particulary smooth area between the propwash and the wake, especially with a 100 foot rope, that is an exellent spot to ride.

Edit: upon a second look, that could also be attributed to the fact that the boat is in a turn.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2007 at 8:10pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

It helps to have a BFN

Maybe, maybe not. In that last photo, it looks like a very turbulent table. Partially explained if thats a 75 foot rope. Some boats offer a particulary smooth area between the propwash and the wake, especially with a 100 foot rope, that is an exellent spot to ride.

Edit: upon a second look, that could also be attributed to the fact that the boat is in a turn.

Trust me, that table is sweet. No need to cheek on that boat.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2007 at 8:11pm
See that spot on the last pic where it says 9-07-2007. That is the sweet spot. Try it.

tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2007 at 8:30pm
James
You and Jake are looking great. Keep it up. We hit White Lake yesterday. First time in the boat since the surgery. Water sucked, but not behind the boat. Taught a kid how to two ski on the boom, and within an hour had him footing on the boom.
I'm the DD of the boat, that also sucks.

trust me, behind the BFN is choice. Just enough turbulance to massage your feet. But, a 90'+ rope is a must.
Lefty
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2007 at 11:04am
Nicely done guys. In a little over a month, that's great progress.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2007 at 11:51am
Looking good fellas.
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2007 at 2:10pm
Wow, very nice improvement since GL. You guys must have a new found appreciation for the Barefoot Nautique. Keep up the great work.

Ken
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2007 at 6:34pm
Thanks for all the props guys, I can honestly say i don't think we would be this far along had it not been for the trip to GL.

Yes we are running a 100 foot tac line plus handle. Speed was right about 36-38MPh according to the speedo. All Pics of us standing the boat was turning to keep us in the best water possible as it was kinda chopy that day. Saturday the water was much better but my wonderful wife that takes the pics was not with us.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2007 at 6:37pm
You can always tell who's wives look at CCfan.
Lefty
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2007 at 6:44pm
Tull
My wife never looks at this site, she thinks I am on it to much as it is. But she is very happy that I found CCF, because if not for you guys she would not of had a three day sunmmer vacation with me at GL. I would have just stayed home and worked some more. Hows the arm?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2007 at 6:52pm
Sorry I didn't reply to this post. The arm is good. I'm on my third and last cast. They keep opening up the angle of my elbow with each new cast. This cast comes off in three weeks, and then it's 2+ months of therapy. I'm going to look like some kind of sissy, doing those curls with a 3LB dumbell. The left arm is doing great, 12oz curls have kept it strong.
Leaving tonight for the barefoot race in Big Rapids. Tested the drivability of the arm last night with some barefoot pulls on White Lake. No problem. The left arm worked well, doing it's job at the White Lake Inn . I hope to have some pics or vids from the race. I (or Brendan most likely) will post.
Lefty
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2007 at 8:30pm
Tull

Good luck to you and your team this week end. I though about trying to make it up there, but work wont let me. There are alot of guys off work this week end due to the youth deer hun this week end. We have several projects scheduled to be done this week end. Sounds like 18 hour days at work both days. I going to try to get out and foot saturday right after work then sunday before I go back to work.
Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2007 at 1:27pm
Well, I can now cheek out and I've been up a couple of times on Friday. I pulled my tricep on one nasty header and now have a nice swollen lump on the back of my left arm, but that's going down. Today I woke up with a nice bruise developing on the inside of the same arm. The good thing is it doesn't effect slalom skiing, or footing for that matter until I fall like that again. But boy what a rush.
1978 Nautique

FBook - www.facebook.com/charliedontsurfct
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2007 at 3:09pm
MM- A couple hard falls on the long line sure does teach you respect for the sport. I took a pretty nasty one yesterday practicing one foots on shoe skis. Even at 32 mph it rang my bell pretty good.

As for cheeking out- If you don't get out on your first try, just stand up between the prop wash and the wake- either side and you'll be fine. Tell your driver ahead of time so you're not assing around for half of your run trying to give him the thumb up signal

to cheek or not to cheek
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2007 at 6:32pm
Barracuda,

How long of a line are you running off of. That was some good footin. The water was perfect.

Sorry no new pics yet, birthday's, work, and my sister announced she was getting married. So hopefully this week end we will hit the lake.
Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2007 at 7:30pm
Here's some more video from early Friday morning - It starts with Brad (Barracuda) and Tim (TRBenj) running tandem long-line (this should have been three long-line but I just couldn't stand long-line that morning). At the end of the video is my first one-foot short-line.

Barefooting - 9/21

-Keith
Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2007 at 7:33pm
That was a 100' BI line. I know, it's like a mile long, but the water is real nice at that point behind the 86 SN.
-Brad
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2007 at 8:46pm
Brad, 100' was wondering from the video it looked shorter. The two man run looked like you guys were having a good time.

Question, you guys make crossing over the wake look so easy once your up. Don't kill me to bad, but any pointers for this.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2007 at 8:57pm
Originally posted by 87BFN owner 87BFN owner wrote:

Brad, 100' was wondering from the video it looked shorter. The two man run looked like you guys were having a good time.

The lines were shorter on the double run- probably 75-80'.
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2007 at 10:55pm
Yep- In the first video, that was a 100' line. For the doubles run, we used shorter lines because they were exactly the same length.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 5>
  Share Topic