NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1967 Mustang

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 5>
Author
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2007 at 2:04am
Bruce, check this out, http://www.gastankrenu.com/
I have no experence with them, just found them in Hemmings.Might be worth a call but shipping could kill any savings.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2007 at 10:10am
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

The engine is an Interceptor, 170 ci, 100 hp. It has an Eaton "C" model tranny.   
The tranny is different than the one in Steve's boat.    

Steve has the Paragon mechanical trans in it still.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2007 at 3:21pm
62, great link on the floor system. I have all winter to study it and figure out how I am going to repair mine. I like the way you did your side panels with no cut outs for storage. I'm kind of getting ahead of myself because my goal for before winter was just to remove the floor and the foam.      

However, the more I work on the boat, the more I like it, and the more I want to continue to have at it. But, winter is coming up, it's bird season, then ski season, so it will have to wait.

This thread has been very helpful. I'm sold on the idea of a plastic replacement tank with a mechanical guage. (That will be a great Christmas present for the guy who's hard to buy for.)

I've got it planned out so that I should be running by next summer, as long as I get the tranny worked out.

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2007 at 3:26pm
This is where I'm at until spring:

">

I think the compass is an original option. I'm not sure if I'm keeping it or not.

">

The panel for the gas peddle may have the original floor covering.
">

Stringers are in good shape except for the left out one, which needs replacement.
">

Carter RBS. Does it look like a marine carb?
">

When you pull the tranny, the inerds of the engine are exposed.
">

A little frame work in the spring, and the floor will be ready to go in.
">
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2007 at 6:20pm
Bruce, Well, it looks like you got over one big problem. Now it will be interesting to hear what Eric finds inside that trans!

What's that banner hanging on the wall in front of the Mustang? It's hard to make out but I think it starts with the letter "M".

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2007 at 6:57pm
Pete, the guy that owns those two Malibus likes having that Mustang between them. I'm hoping to hang a CorrectCraftFan banner next to that Malibu banner, if I can find one.

The carb has a tube that looks like an overflow tube coming out of the bowl. I'm guessing it's a marine carb. PO said it has been rebuilt and the engine runs great.

Tranny is being shipped tomorrow.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2007 at 12:22am
Bruce back in those "old" days I don't think there was such a thing as "marine".My mustang had a stock Ford carb,a regular fuel pump and a mallory distributor,not explosion proof.At first I thought someone took the easy way out and replaced with auto parts,but no, the part manual shows those items.The only thing I have left to change is the fuel pump and I'll do that for next season.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2007 at 8:43am
Gary, that must why old inboards used to blow up. My engine appears to be all original, except that the carb has probably been changed. If it runs good, I don't have any plans to change it.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2007 at 12:08am
You hit the nail on the head Bruce.I'm sure new boats do too, it's all about how you take care of them.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2007 at 12:19pm
I was able to track down the actual build date for the boat and it is a 1966 and not a 1967. It was built on 3-10-66. I suspected that because of the older style deck and hardware. I don't know how it started getting registered as a 67. Fortunately in Maine it is easy to register an old boat. I just have to cross out the 67 on the bill of sale and write in 66 and it will be good enough for them.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2007 at 12:50pm
Bruce, The boat was built in 66 but it may have sat at the factory or at a dealer before it was sold in 67. In states that have registration and no titling, the years get sloppy. The dealer may have even sold it as a 67.

Have you talked to Eric lately? I haven't seen him post anything on your trans in awhile.

Eric, are you getting parts?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2007 at 1:22pm
I know we have discussed CCs inconsistancies in design before. This may be one. To the best of my knowledge, and according to the 1966 brochure posted here and the 66 my family had, the 66 mustangs had the integrated scoop vents in the deck. Bruce's does not. Unfortunately we don't have a 67 brochure. My brothers 67 SkyLark does not have the scoops. I would have guessed Bruce's is a 67, but since I am sure he got good info on mfg date, it must be one of those. If you go through all the 66s in the diaries, its about an even split, those with scoops, those without.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2007 at 1:25pm
Pete, that is what I figured. I supposedly bought it from a person that bought it from the original owner, so if that is the case, it probably was sold as a 1967. The boat is really a 66, so I'm thinking that is how I should register it.

I spoke with Eric about 2 weeks ago and he said he was working on it between jobs. He says that it is in good condition and just needs a basic overhaul. He said he would call me when it's complete. He figures that it probably was slipping because it had water in it.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2007 at 1:28pm
Larry, I'm figuring it has the old style deck and hardware because it is an early 1966. It probably took awhile to sell because it had the 100 hp engine. I imagine even back then, it was not the engine that most people wanted.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2007 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

I know we have discussed CCs inconsistancies in design before. This may be one. To the best of my knowledge, and according to the 1966 brochure posted here and the 66 my family had, the 66 mustangs had the integrated scoop vents in the deck. Bruce's does not. Unfortunately we don't have a 67 brochure. My brothers 67 SkyLark does not have the scoops. I would have guessed Bruce's is a 67, but since I am sure he got good info on mfg date, it must be one of those. If you go through all the 66s in the diaries, its about an even split, those with scoops, those without.

Yup, there certainly were a lot of inconsistencies. 66-67 seems to be the years that CC changed deck styles on the Mustang and Skylark. Bruce's boat has the earlier style used on the American Skiers, while your old '66 looks to have had the later (67-70) style with the scoops.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2008 at 12:11am
Finally hauled the engine out this past weekend. Now the fun begins.

62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2008 at 12:59am
Looking good Bruce... What does it have for an engine cover? I was wondering if that carb clears ok? My 64 has Cater YH sidedraft.
Heres a pic of it..

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2008 at 1:07am
It's got a fiberglass box like your Barracuda. It does clear it ok. I like where your battery is. I'd like to put mine there if I could, rather than back under the driver's seat.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2008 at 1:11am
Bruce,
My son is a welder and made the stainless steel "three-sided box" for it. I could probably get one made for you if you'd like one?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2008 at 10:24am
I'd love one, but do we have the same engine mounts. My front and rear mounts are connected with one piece of wood? It looks like you have a break in yours allowing the battery to sit on the floor. Did you cut yours?
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2008 at 11:57am
bruce    I was just reading through your posts     i have a set of side panels that are already re-done white with pockets , I have two factory seats i am not reusing all re done. I am going to glass some ski mounts to my side panels and put pedestal mount seats in mine .. I love some boats to be 100 % original, but i want this one to be more user friendly for me . anyway you are welcome to that stuff if it will help you. I think we are fairly close to each other if you want to meet for them sometime   Peter
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2008 at 12:40pm

I'd love one, but do we have the same engine mounts. My front and rear mounts are connected with one piece of wood? It looks like you have a break in yours allowing the battery to sit on the floor. Did you cut yours?

I'll have to check if it was cut.. mine has a wooden, home-made battery box there when I got the boat.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2008 at 1:25pm
Peter, email me your phone number and I'll call you. I'm in Sebago, an hour or less away. The seats and side panels would help me greatly. Thanks!   
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2008 at 3:51pm
Making progress, although moving along slowly.
Bildge and main stringers look good.

I peeled some fiberglass off and the wood looks like new. Looks like Southern Yellow Pine.

One outer stringer is rotted. The other looks ok.

Next job is to remove the engine mounts and rip out the rest of the cross members.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2008 at 12:02pm
I got the Dearbomatic mounted on the engine over the weekend. Sorry, no pictures. I used a product called Yama Bond 4 for the gasket material. It is available at Yamaha motorcycle shops and is designed for sealing casing halfs. Boat Dr recommended it and several people also said it was the stuff to use in my seach for it.

When installing a tranny on a bacerds facing engine, in order to get the spline to line up, I had to remove the spark plugs and had my son turn the crank, while I finessed the tranny into place. There are 2 studs that the tranny slides onto which prevent rotating the tranny.

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2008 at 8:09pm
Finally got motivated and got the much dreaded replacement of the outer stringers and the strapping completed. For an inexperienced wood worker like me, it was a tedius job that took a whole day, but it came out good. David was very patient and removed the better stringer in one piece, so we had a template. If anyone needs it, I'm saving it.

Got the engine painted, too.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2008 at 8:41pm
All right Bruce!! Look'n good! I see you found the GM blue engine paint. I think it's damn close. Now Steve will have to repaint his 6 in his skier.
The wood is looking good too. Are the boys helping out?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2008 at 9:09pm
Pete, the color is Detroit Diesel Alpine Green and I think that is the stuff Steve used. It is very close to the Interceptor green based on the paint that was still on the oil filler tube, (under the cap).

Next weekend, I'm going to get the floor cut out and do the fiberglass work on the stringers. I'm going to use exterior 5/8" AC fir plywood.

My original plan was to put support blocks where the strapping meets the hull. I am wondering if I need to do that. I left about 1/4" space between the end of the strapping and the hull. Does the hull need the support. If not, I'm thinking about just installing the floor and glassing it to the side of the hull.

The boys are helping. David is my oldest. I was ready the just cut it all out with the sawzall and wing it on making the new stringers. He wanted to try to remove one whole for a template and it worked.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2008 at 10:29pm

Pete, the color is Detroit Diesel Alpine Green

My original plan was to put support blocks where the strapping meets the hull. I am wondering if I need to do that. I left about 1/4" space between the end of the strapping and the hull. Does the hull need the support. If not, I'm thinking about just installing the floor and glassing it to the side of the hull.

Well, the color is close like I mentioned!! I thought Steve's was a little greener - it looks that way in the picture above too! Did you look for the GM blue? Of coarse it's hard to tell from color chips - I don't know how close colors come through over the internet.

The blocking to the chine probably isn't needed if you glass the ply floor to the hull sides. Are you going to do that? I'd through the blocks in there anyway. Not much work and it's going to give you some extra support.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2008 at 10:55pm
Bruce,
Yep,my engine is also Alpine Green. However, I just bought the rattle-can Dupli-color stuff at O'Reillys.

I saterted out having paint custom mixed from some of the aged original paint off the engine. Had it re-formulated three times...always looked too "baby blue".

And Pete, a repaint is very low on my priority list right now!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 5>
  Share Topic