NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

More like a Briar Patch

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 6>
Author
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2009 at 8:00pm
Thats pretty cool! How are you going to lay the carpet so you don't see the edge from the floor to the side? I looks like there is a lip.

Keep the pictures coming!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2009 at 9:26pm
Bj,
I admire your ambition with the stringers and certainly the floor pan (even though it's not original!!). Did you ever consider and talk to your glass guy about using one of the diamond non slip patterns on the floor pan like the 60's Mustangs? Considering what I've seen in the pictures, I'm sure he knows about the stuff you get for the pattern. Just curious!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2009 at 9:28pm
Doin' the South proud!
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
hasbeenskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2009 at 9:29pm
The edges will be glassed smooth and the surface will be gel coated with a pumice added to provide a non skid surface. No Carpet.
hasbeenskier
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2009 at 12:46pm
Pete,
I missed your post about the diamond pattern. Yes I am very familiar with it and the boat yard even has a form of it. I personally prefer the pumice non-skid surface. I have a spearfishing buddy with the diamond non skid on his Pursuit and those little diamonds are sharp. (LIke when kneeling on it) The diamond pattern does scrub clean easier though.
hasbeenskier
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2009 at 6:35pm
Subsequent to glassing down the deck, holes were cut in to the deck for the insertion of foam. Upon it expanding out the holes and thereby filling the compartment cavity the pucks were replaced and glassed back.
hasbeenskier
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2009 at 6:35pm
hasbeenskier
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2009 at 12:14am
Sorry if I seem dense but I am really intrigued by the floor and don't fully understand the construction. If I understand correctly you used something like plexiglass or lexan for the base. Then applied your laying process on top of that and the plexiglass stays as part of the floor or you removed it before glassing it in place?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2009 at 12:01pm
The Work table is tempered window glass. The molds are built on the top of the glass. Upon completion the deck section is popped up from the table top and flipped over giving a very smooth gel coat surface.
hasbeenskier
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2009 at 12:20pm
Gotcha, that makes sense! From the picture when you put it in the boat it looks like you can see an edge that looks like glass. What am I seeing there?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2009 at 10:25pm
It is foam core that was glassed along the edges for a cleaner finished
look. Nida core is honey combed and not a very clean finish. I will have the pictures I promised in a few more days.
hasbeenskier
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2010 at 7:03pm
Finally, the engine cradle is done. I went back to the post when I anticipated the cradle to be completed.... 12/09. I am glad I'm not under contract.
hasbeenskier
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2010 at 7:11pm
hasbeenskier
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2010 at 7:13pm
hasbeenskier
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2010 at 7:18pm
hasbeenskier
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2010 at 7:21pm
While I have your attention. Gary's 79 BFN was shot with gel yesterday.Now it is going to sit several days then... sand and buff.
bj
hasbeenskier
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2010 at 7:22pm
hasbeenskier
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2010 at 7:24pm
hasbeenskier
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2010 at 11:33pm
Glad to see you back at it! Looking good!
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2010 at 3:03pm
BJ,     It is refreshing to see someone else still believes in original resin.

Note: On BJ's pics of lay-up, clear! No white, no air bubbles.

AT
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2010 at 2:19pm
BJ, looks great- as usual! Gary's '79 looks mint as well. Youre still a few steps ahead of us... our cradle needs some grinding and rewelding.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2010 at 6:57pm
Hey Tim, Thanks, It is a very slow process. It seems like everything else is a priority. Your project is helping me along. You and your dad have taken some large steps.
bj
hasbeenskier
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2010 at 9:09pm
I spent the day working on the BFN mounted both fins, the drain plug,and the raw water through hull pick up. Gary built a stainless strap with two gussets at the top and mounted the transom lifting ring. Nothing ever moves fast, but it is moving.
hasbeenskier
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2010 at 9:20pm
hasbeenskier
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2010 at 9:22pm
hasbeenskier
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2010 at 9:23pm
hasbeenskier
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2010 at 9:31pm
For the sake of conversation the first of the three photos in this post show four green pieces of 2X4 channel on the stern's deck. They are fiberglass. I am going to glass them down, then mount the fuel tank down. There will be rubber between the mounts and the tank.
bj
hasbeenskier
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2010 at 9:44pm
BJ,
That bracket will lift the Queen Mary!! Nice work. Now I sure Tim's doing some thinking on a new project!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2010 at 9:48pm
Thanks Pete, Coming from you it is like getting a blue ribbon!
bj
hasbeenskier
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2010 at 9:50pm
BJ,

Very nice. This boat will outlive all of us.

Donald
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 6>
  Share Topic