NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

primer

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 8>
Author
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2008 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by sanity sanity wrote:

Yours is different. The colors (plural)look great on the boat.

How is that different? Shined up, I think the Yucatan Yellow would look awesome.

*disclaimer: I am not 100% sure all boats pictured are Yucatan- though I think they are.

Michelle, I admit that I probably wouldnt have ordered a boat in Yucatan- but I wouldnt have ordered Inca Gold either. I do love my red boat, but theres something very cool about these vintage boats in the unique vintage colors. I get a lot of comments on mine- once restored, Im sure you would too. You can count the number of Yucatan boats in the diaries on one hand- its rare!

At least you know where I stand.
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2008 at 5:10pm
I knew that from reading your posts. And I even agree.

"If" the boat were in better condition and all I had to do was strip the paint and buff it out, I "would" keep it yucatan and would "probably" get used to it. If I didn't, I would paint it down the road.

That's not the case here. This is coming from someone who just saved an antique china cabinet from being bulldozed in a house. You should see it now. All it needed was a thorough cleaning, grime and wax buildup removal and a rewax with Johnson's.

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2008 at 5:26pm
Michelle,
Stick with a original color! I'm recommending this because of the many years I've been involved with antique and classic boats. You may not know it but your Mustang qualifies to be entered in a ACBS judged showing even though it is fiberglass!!!

Tim'
I've got a feeling all the boats you pictured are the Yucatan Yellow. Just differences in color reproduction on paper/film.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2008 at 5:30pm

"If" the boat were in better condition and all I had to do was strip the paint and buff it out, I "would" keep it yucatan and would "probably" get used to it. If I didn't, I would paint it down the road.

That's not the case here.

I still think that the best course of action would be to strip the paint and buff it out- it might look better than you expect. A few spot repairs to the gel would be a lot easier than an entire repaint/regel anyways.

Im assuming that youre tackling the structural work this winter as well- if I were you, Id get that squared away once youre done stripping the paint. Redo the interior in something neutral (white/cream). Get the boat solid and functional for next year, then decide how/if you want to approach the exterior cosmetics.

Just my 2 cents!
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2008 at 5:31pm

Rub it in Lee. The fatboy sits in the garage.

As my Road King, battery-less, under blankets Ughh...

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2008 at 5:37pm
Originally posted by Mojo Mojo wrote:

Rub it in Lee. The fatboy sits in the garage.

As my Road King, battery-less, under blankets Ughh...

Michelle, paint the boat whatever color "you" want. Once it's done you'll love it more, use it more and be more proud of it.. Oh, and platforms are completely acceptable add ons..

Preparation is key to the success of what you're trying to achieve. Do that right and you'll have a great looking boat..

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had 77 Tique

Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2008 at 5:42pm
Now here's a great color on an old boat..
Green Skier

Like Stang's Mustang, rare and very cool. The old colors are great, if their restorable...

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had 77 Tique

sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2008 at 6:00pm
That is a neat color. And that's original?
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2008 at 6:10pm

That is a neat color. And that's original?

It's 72' Man, lots of great colors...
Stang's booger

"Dave's not home Maan" lol..

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had 77 Tique

sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2008 at 6:13pm
I like the green
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2008 at 6:16pm

"Dave's not home Maan" lol..
Moj'

I didn't think you were old enough to remember that one!!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2008 at 6:28pm
what can you tell me about this?

a friend gave this to me
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2008 at 6:29pm
Uhh Maan, you scratch my record Maan..

Yeah shor do Pete, Up in smoke was some funny stuff.. I'm old Pete hahaha..

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had 77 Tique

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2008 at 6:56pm
do you guy's work?
"the things you own will start to own you"
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2008 at 6:58pm
lol...that's a great question. I sit in front of 2 computers - pretty much as much as I want and or need to from 7:30 till 5. When you "watch a topic" it pops right up there.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2008 at 7:02pm
its a temperature meter from when your engine heats up
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2008 at 7:03pm
That's calling the kettle black there Mr 4900 posts Eric hahaha....Lighten up, it's Friday, it's about to snow, and it's almost Beer-Thirty. I run the joint, and don't feel like work'n. Any more questions???

Moj'
PS: Have a great weekend hahaha
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had 77 Tique

sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2008 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

its a heartbeat meter when from your picture came up lol

I don't even know how to reply

yes, I do. Moj's beer thirty sounds good.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2008 at 7:21pm
oops typo
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2008 at 7:29pm

oops typo

LOL..nice.

60's, 70's boat? I don't know what he got it out of. He brought it to the docks and left it on the Carver for me. I guess he thought I could use it, but all of mine are there. Not saying they work, but I'll find that out later.
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2008 at 7:35pm

its a heartbeat meter when from your picture came up lol

I don't even know how to reply

yes, I do. Moj's beer thirty sounds good.

Michelle, The Mustangs didn't have a temp gauge like this one pictured. You have the smaller gauge cluster (which looks better anyway).. I don't remember any CC that did..

Yep, just turned beer thirty,, First one's on me.. Eric needs two, so he can chill out

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had 77 Tique

sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2008 at 7:42pm
Have a great weekend, guys.
skinaut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skinaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2008 at 9:10pm

Now here's a great color on an old boat..
Green Skier

Like Stang's Mustang, rare and very cool. The old colors are great, if their restorable...

Moj'

Mojo
that is a beautiful skier, what a neat 70's color
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2008 at 10:06pm
Eric,
How was that beer?
Do you have a pic of your boat on here?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2008 at 11:01pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I still think that the best course of action would be to strip the paint and buff it out- it might look better than you expect. A few spot repairs to the gel would be a lot easier than an entire repaint/regel anyways.

Im assuming that youre tackling the structural work this winter as well- if I were you, Id get that squared away once youre done stripping the paint. Redo the interior in something neutral (white/cream). Get the boat solid and functional for next year, then decide how/if you want to approach the exterior cosmetics.

Just my 2 cents!

I agree with Tim,get yourself one of these-
http://www.hutchinsmfg.com/content/7544.html
you can use it to see how your original gel cleans up and if you regel it will help also. Does anyone have a picture of that Orange Chevy powered Mustang at Green Lake? That boat would convince anyone to regel
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2008 at 10:45am
I get sea sick, so I stick to just working on them, lol
everytime i end up getting a boat I end up selling it, I really do get out alot on Lake Erie or the lake i live with many different people because i work on thier boats, they dont mind having me along in case something goes wrong. when my kids get a little older I'll buy another ski boat, maybe a Mastercraft or a Malibu or even a Tige....dont worry it would be a CC
skinaut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skinaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2008 at 12:54pm

Hey Skinaut,
Cool old Centurion.. What's the scoop with her? V-drive.. Lets see some pics...

Moj'

Ok, new thread in general dis...1970 centurion
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2008 at 7:38pm
OK, guys.I've been in the garage since 7am.
It's going to need a re-gel or paint job. Yes, might be learning how to gel coat. This will be interesting. I'll take a few pictures for Monday.

I'm working on the exterior and "blink" - my better half to be -is working on glassing the new stringers in. He joined the site too and reads alot, but doesn't post yet.

Yes, putting a teak platform on it too. Just bought one off of Chris that was parting out a nautique on here.

All kinds of wonderful smells floating around in the garage for sure!

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2008 at 7:52pm
Michelle,
Well now with the teak platform it blows all of my hopes that you were going to do a original restoration. Now you can even paint it purple!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2008 at 11:11am
in his sentence he used a key word "paint" i can read between the lines
Ive been thinking about this, well thats if i can cause other voices keep popping in my head, but i think I have been into to many hulls with those fumes. I keep wondering why i keep getting all kinds glass work, its only because no one else wants to do it
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 8>
  Share Topic