NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need parts for 71 promo Nautique

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
Author
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2013 at 12:54pm
Bwahahahahaaaaaa.. Gee, didn't know you were so sensitive there Wood?? hahaha.. Wheel looks a whole lot better than the holes on the deck from the tower... hehe
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2013 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by Mojo Mojo wrote:

Bwahahahahaaaaaa.. Gee, didn't know you were so sensitive there Wood?? hahaha.. Wheel looks a whole lot better than the holes on the deck from the tower... hehe

Now its the tower holes... think I'll go home and scrap the ol tug..

keep digging that hole moj'!!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
67nautique312 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67nautique312 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2013 at 1:12pm

i took off the black plexi so i can rebuild my guages and the original color is what i found underneath....yes Mine looks exactly the same as chris and steve's...i would guess it's original? Although there were holes and mounts where it looks like the guages were originally underneath the plexi???....here is the info that art pulled from the microfiche attached..

The engine was set on 6/1/71, which makes that the official birth date of the boat. The engine log lists 225 hp Chrysler engine, Model # LM318BWR10-366. Serial number is 3112378. The model number translates to a right-hand rotation 318 cu. in. with a Borg-Warner 1:1 transmission turning a right-hand propeller.

I found the original invoice. It is dated 6/9/71 and lists the boat as Canary Yellow with black accent stripe and black racing stripe. It was shipped to Midwest Correct Craft in Angola, IN and was designated for Richard Manley, who was a sales rep for Midwest. I know him personally. The boat was intended as his demonstrator and was expected to be made available for use in ski tournaments as a promo boat.

Options listed are: Three tournament speedometers, with the third one mounted on the motor box. Glass windshield (apparently the standard ones were plastic), black steering wheel, glove box, electric fuel gauge, hour meter, black interior panels, black and white upholstery with stern seating, a white floor mat, and lettering on the sides.

thanks Art and Mojo for supplying this info for me!!! pretty cool to have!!
1963 Classic (handed down to my daughter)
67 Riviera
68 barracuda
1971 Ski Nautique Promo
86 Silver Nautique
1995 Ski Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2013 at 1:14pm
I havent seen that slotted black wheel used on anything older than a '73. If there was in fact a black-rimmed wheel option in '71-72, my guess it would have looked like Chris's wheel. That at least has the same hub assembly as all the other Teleflex wheels that were being used at the time (including the wood rimmed wheel). The one on Paul's boat looks a lot more modern. Personally, Id be swapping out for a wood rimmed version regardless, as we KNOW that was period correct.

Chris, the 2 plexi speedo mounts sure do look similar (yours and Paul's). Tough to say whether they were a real option (either factory or dealer) or not. Getting them up higher sure does make them more visible though, so its tough to say. If you found holes from the screws and tubing under that panel you had, then Im sure the speedos were mounted lower at some point. Thats how theyre shown in the '72 and '73 brochures... the plexi showed up in '74. It may have been a popular retrofit?
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2013 at 2:26pm

Here's the wheel from the 71' parts boat.. The wheel is the same teleflex wheel, but with a different center cap. Perhaps this same wheel was available in 71', just rarely used...

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had 77 Tique

62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2013 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Tough to say whether they were a real option (either factory or dealer) or not. Getting them up higher sure does make them more visible though, so its tough to say. If you found holes from the screws and tubing under that panel you had, then Im sure the speedos were mounted lower at some point. Thats how theyre shown in the '72 and '73 brochures... the plexi showed up in '74. It may have been a popular retrofit?

Wow... just when I thought I knew everything about my 73. I had never noticed the speedos in the 73 brochures were still in the dash. The plexi another "oddity" in my 73?

One big difference between my 73 and the two promos is the tach in mine is cut into the plexi, below the speedos. both promos have them in the dash.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2013 at 2:32pm
Just looked at other 73's in the diaries. Cant see in all cases, but a number of them do have the plexi mounts with tach below.

Could have been a production change, after literaure was printed?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2013 at 2:35pm
Probably another CC mystery. Here's mine after the change, much harder to see the gauges but provides more visibility.

Edit: found one more
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2013 at 3:01pm
Steve,    The "Oddity" is the brochure boat.

I'd say the correct wheel for Pauls would be like Storms.
The sim. wood wheels were generally too big.

I have several 3-hole per spoke wheels.
I'd use Mojo's wheel until I could find a 4-hole.
JMurph View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JMurph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2013 at 6:10pm
My 72 promo has the speedos mounted in the dash like Chris' are now. It does not have any holes from where plexi was previously installed.
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2013 at 12:23pm
Maybe it was and "ordering" preference back then????
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had 77 Tique

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67nautique312 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2013 at 4:19pm

Started bufing and cleaning process...damn i'm gonna be sore!
67 Riviera
68 barracuda
1971 Ski Nautique Promo
86 Silver Nautique
1995 Ski Nautique
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2013 at 4:33pm
man is that thing shining up nice.. Like the color so much more that the original !!!! keep going dude.. July is just around the corner..
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had 77 Tique

62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2013 at 8:13pm
Man, that will look good with tranny fluid all over the sides!

Dont make it too nice... it will make my old tug look bad!

Cant wait to see it!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2013 at 8:15pm
Looking good!! Can't wait to see it in person.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2013 at 9:11pm
Paul,

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JMurph View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JMurph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2013 at 11:53pm
Wow, it's looking great!
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67nautique312 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2013 at 3:54pm
Well now i am looking for the trumpet horns for my Promo....

I sent it off to get chromed and they lost the hardware pieces. so i need another one to rob parts off of.
67 Riviera
68 barracuda
1971 Ski Nautique Promo
86 Silver Nautique
1995 Ski Nautique
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67nautique312 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2013 at 12:21pm
With the help of pictures that Tim B found in his possible boat finds to purchase he found these pics. and i think we may be able to lay to rest the question of whether or not my steering wheel is original or not...thanks for sending me the pics. Tim!!

Notice my steering wheel.

This is the pic of the Promo that Tim went to look at.

My promo, this one that tim found and Reid's Yellow Promo all have the same wheel in them....coincidence??? I hope not....but i think i will keep it.

thanks for the Pics. Tim!!
67 Riviera
68 barracuda
1971 Ski Nautique Promo
86 Silver Nautique
1995 Ski Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2013 at 12:38pm
Paul, just a few corrections- I never saw that other yellow promo in person (I believe it was in KY)... just had the seller send pics. It was rough!

Reid's yellow promo has a different wheel- not original, as its the late 70's/early 80's smaller teleflex. Still, 2/3 makes a pretty strong case that the wheel youve got is original.

Reid/Jerry's promo:
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67nautique312 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2013 at 2:18pm
Sounds good to me....i will consider it Original....

thanks again Tim!
67 Riviera
68 barracuda
1971 Ski Nautique Promo
86 Silver Nautique
1995 Ski Nautique
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2013 at 3:07pm
Promo boats rock. Paul that thing looks super shiny!

Chris there is somethig off about that steering wheel picture.... aheemmm mountain dew. Wheres the brew?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2013 at 4:10pm
Promo Homos
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2013 at 5:00pm
Early morning/pre-skiing brew since we were out of coffee. Surprisingly, they set right there just fine under power.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67nautique312 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2013 at 11:28am
Before.....

After.....

Also installed the Airguide on the motor box that was missing....Huge thanks to JMurph for sending that one to me!!!

67 Riviera
68 barracuda
1971 Ski Nautique Promo
86 Silver Nautique
1995 Ski Nautique
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2013 at 12:43pm
Paul that boat is shining up real nice, gonna be absolutely beautiful.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67nautique312 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2013 at 4:38pm
The boat resto thing gives me something to do so i don't get into trouble.....you have the same problem apparently alan.....i don't think anyone who attends this years GL reunion will notice any other boat but yours.....I myself personally can't wait to see(and ride in) yours!!!!

thanks for the compliment alan...means alot comming from a guy that masters every boat project too perfection!

see ya at GL dude!
67 Riviera
68 barracuda
1971 Ski Nautique Promo
86 Silver Nautique
1995 Ski Nautique
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67nautique312 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2013 at 12:09pm
Ok...Here we go....Took out floor and cartpet to replace it(correctly) and put in access panel(behind motor box)also install Nautolex shark grey vinyl to be period correct. Exhaust (at exit) is rotten to the point i'm supprised the boat didn't sink. Removed exhaust...guess what??? secondary stringers are shot....Didn't plan on this but now i have no choice but to do it right...So the journey begins. Already removed all the foam and rotten stringers. Ground out old fiberglass....wish me luck!

If you notice the exhaust going down into the foam has been replace to just down under the foam.....Half assed chop job...then they put foam around it after they put it in.....

Why can't people do it right the first time so i don't have to redo it!!!
67 Riviera
68 barracuda
1971 Ski Nautique Promo
86 Silver Nautique
1995 Ski Nautique
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2013 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by 67nautique312 67nautique312 wrote:

The boat resto thing gives me something to do so i don't get into trouble.....

Carrying it to the extreem huh Paul? I'm sure you'll do a great job and you will put your mind at ease knowing it's sound
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67nautique312 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2013 at 4:46pm
Glad now i removed the floor.....would have been hard to retrieve the boat in a lake as deep as Geen lake!

i've removed all the foam and rotten stringers and ground out all the old fiberlass.....off to purchase material.

wasn't planning on this but yes Gary...it will be good to know it's sound!
67 Riviera
68 barracuda
1971 Ski Nautique Promo
86 Silver Nautique
1995 Ski Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
  Share Topic