NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

obamarama

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23456 7>
Author
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2008 at 6:10pm
Aside from the tragic gun accident with that child, not the mention just the incident, it's all been in good fun, and perhaps we found something that Joel is as passionate about as his beloved CC, GT-40 and his Buoys!

I don't care what that NY-Joe guy says, I am still voting for Pedro!!
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2008 at 6:16pm
Just a discussion among friends. Nothing like those political or religious threads used to be over at MBO or TMC. Remember those Joel?

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2008 at 6:29pm
Don't even get me started on religion...
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2008 at 7:00pm
If Nixon was on the Ballot he would have my vote, check him out shreddin' it up!

Nixon Surfin Lake Norman
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2008 at 7:10pm
CQ you get the comic relief award! I'm not sure about Pedro, but Nixon was a boat lover! I saw 1 of his aides on the history channel say that the only time he ever asked for a bottle was the night before he resigned...on the presidential yacht.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2008 at 7:17pm
I thought this was "fun" and an interesting discussion to follow. I earned a star and got to watch Nixon wake surf - all in one day.
MarineTech View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarineTech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2008 at 7:21pm
Wow, once again I left for the day and this topic filled up. I guess tomorrow I'll have to skip going to the political forums and discussing the merits of Correct Craft over other brands. It's all good clean fun and it kept us out of trouble for a couple of days. Thanks for the entertainment. Nobody should be harboring bad feelings. As was mentioned we all agree on our favorite brand of boats (even though I own several others, Correct Craft is still on top!)
Projects

Luchog wrote:   "Anyway, you're full of s79t"

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2008 at 7:47pm
2 Points for Marine Tech...but watch out for him on halloween!   LOL

On the lighter side of things...and I mean this without any political leanings or bias...

What if a mythical giant used a huge sword to cut the legs out from under our system...what would grow back?

1988 BFN-sold

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2008 at 10:25am
Dont worry Joe we will be talking about the three "B" s on the 5th again.
in other countries we would be hunted down and hung for expressing our views and opinions, thats if we had access to the internet...
Sanity, sometimes its not to bad giving those innercity kids a free education, some do abuse the system though
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2008 at 10:30am
Riley, McCain is rolling through Ohio, hopefully his running mate will stop by, these photoshop pictures keep popping up everywhere and thats all i can think about lol
65 'cuda View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 65 'cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2008 at 10:48am
I,m a republican by nature, I voted for W enthusiastically the first time, reluctantly the second time. My biggest complaint about Clinton used to be that he didn't DO anything. In hindsight that appears to have been a good thing. Clinton had a Republican legislature, thus the idea of checks and balances worked. W had a republican legislature and a MISSION: a personal grudge with Saddam and the idea that the transfer of wealth to the top 1% is a good idea. (read about where most of his personal wealth comes from- Texas taxpayers).   

That was a disaster for this country. The last thing I want to see right now is a repeat of the same mistake. With a firmly Democratic legislature (maybe even a super majority in the Senate) We don't need another president with a MISSION.

Vote Republican, promote Gridlock, its better for the country.

Gary
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2008 at 11:38am
Well said Gary!
1988 BFN-sold

sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2008 at 11:53am
Sanity, sometimes it's not to bad giving those innercity kids a free education, some do abuse the system though

Eric, I Agree. Somewhat, sometimes,and under certain circumstances. You are right. The one's that abuse the system make me angry. And the fact that there are not more guidelines and checks for those that do request assistance. We pay them. I would not mind helping someone that truly needs the help.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2008 at 12:01pm
Am I a bad friend? I grew up with this guy and he knows how to work the system, he hasnt worked a day in his life..he was squeezing workers comp, getting dis-ability, selling his prescription every month for 1800.00...that m-fr was clearing more doe than you could imagine. well we were out one night and i wound up sitting at a table with a group of Workers comp people tipping a few...my friend was with me and he was out on the dance floor, I threw his name out there and it sparked one of the people's attention at the table, he replied with I know that name well. I said to him there he is out there doing the electric slide.....end of the free money, i feel guilty to this day about doing it and he doesnt know i did....but in my eyes it was a matter of principle....thats what kinda guy i am
MarineTech View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarineTech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2008 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

On the lighter side of things...and I mean this without any political leanings or bias...

What if a mythical giant used a huge sword to cut the legs out from under our system...what would grow back?

OK Greg, I give up, but then I'm not always too bright. I was hoping somebody else would jump on this with a response.

Gary, I couldn't agree with you more. An old talk radio host in Phila. used to always say that others complain that during this or that period the government did NOTHING. He stated correctly that those were the BEST of times.

Projects

Luchog wrote:   "Anyway, you're full of s79t"

sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2008 at 12:13pm
Eric, I would consider doing what you did as being a good friend. What is he doing now?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2008 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by MarineTech MarineTech wrote:

OK Greg, I give up, but then I'm not always too bright. I was hoping somebody else would jump on this with a response.

I was thinking about the entrenched special interest, and the 'filtering' of money after it leaves us. Also the absolutely crazy places our tax money ends up in. I think both parties(and someone please tell me why they are called parties) carry their share of the blame. I would compare our system to 2 crooks deciding how to knock over a bank.

Originally posted by MarineTech MarineTech wrote:

Gary, I couldn't agree with you more. An old talk radio host in Phila. used to always say that others complain that during this or that period the government did NOTHING. He stated correctly that those were the BEST of times.

We have a few radio hosts here who applaud every time they go on break! They can't be doing near as much harm that way.   LOL
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2008 at 12:19pm
And how does Stevens have the 'nads to not step down?!!? He's up for re-election and says he won't take his name off of the ballot!

We could talk about Kennedy and others as well.
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2008 at 12:50pm
He was an only child and his mother passed 4 years ago and father 2 years ago and left him the house and life savings, no family, not working either....hopefully, he asks for my SSN, JK
he is in the Methadone program to this day and i wouldnt wish his life on anyone. I just couldnt except the fact that he was on easy street.....but it did catch up with him
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2008 at 1:11pm
Is it not amazing how we have become a world of enablers? I was hoping to hear that it forced him to get a job and/or create a purpose for himself.

"Someone" will become the next President. Politics will always drive us crazy.

Greg, maybe that's why they call it "parties". We all need a way to vent. It's good to know that they each have a "party".
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2008 at 1:12pm
Eric, You shouldn't feel bad for what happened. The fact that he did what he did was only costing you, me and every other tax-payer in this country. He shouldn't nor anyone else get a free ride when you, myself and any other hard working soul has put more than 8 to make ends meet while people like your friend doesn't do Diddley.

Why do think health care has sky rocketed in this country. Too many freebies and Heck, the good ol' USA will give it to ANYONE even if you aren't a legal citizen.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
skinaut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skinaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2008 at 2:08pm
[/QUOTE]

I have no problem with the right to carry a firearm, my issue is with assult weapons and I although I used the Uzi incident as an example I feel it applies to "assault" rifles as well. I just don't see where those weapons are neccesary to have around.

Sorry to bring up the gun issue again but I just read this thread and feel compelled to speak up.
What Makes a weapon an assault weapon? Auto, semi auto, high cap mags, mean looks or a well known name? Or is it just one that is used to assault someone?
Because it reloads itself it's worse? A wheel gun shoots again as soon as you pull the trigger so whats the difference? most 22's are semi-auto now so does that make it an assault weapon? Full autos are illegal unless you have an FFA, and your not allowed to just carry one around as a personal defense weapon, just get caught with one and it's automatic 10 years federal time. So lets get real here, should you be allowed to own a gun and have a chance to defend yourself or your family from criminals who are going to have them even if you outlaw guns? There are always going to be idiots, do we outlaw cars because they kill? maybe just big cars? how about knives? just sharp ones? baseball bats? scissors? BOATING? Commit a violent crime with a weapon and you should go to jail or the gallows, for good. We have plenty of gun laws. Just enforce them and stop worrying about what name brand gun I choose to own.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2008 at 2:31pm
Some very good points Lee!

How many of us know what imputed income is? Just curious.
1988 BFN-sold

skinaut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skinaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2008 at 2:42pm
thanks to you I do now.....

Imputed income is wealth created or acquired internally, or from non-cash sources.

An example of imputed income is a farmer who builds a table instead of buying one. The market value of the table—minus any cost from wood and nails—is the farmer’s imputed income, or the net increase in wealth he now has from construction of the table. The farmer might ordinarily purchase his table from the neighboring carpenter, but be dissuaded from doing so because of a sales or income tax which increases the sales price and makes building the table—instead of buying it—more attractive.
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2008 at 2:43pm
Greg,

I had to look it up. But I learned something today so, thank you!

An example as taken from Wikipedia;
A farmer who builds a table instead of buying one. The market value of the table, minus any cost from wood and nails, is the farmer's imputed income - or the net increase in wealth he now has from construction of the table.

He might ordinarily purchase his table from the neighboring carpenter, but be dissuaded from doing so because of a sales or income tax which increases the sales price and makes building the table instead of buying the table more attractive.

Those who produce and consume their own wealth can lawfully avoid income taxation on this wealth.

Here is where I get lost....Smaller businesses, which are highly adaptable but have fewer internal resources than larger businesses, may be disproportionately impacted from imputed income activity under an income or sales tax.
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2008 at 2:44pm
HA HA, LEE! We know the same farmer.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2008 at 2:56pm

Some very good points Lee!

greg, you got a big stick and just keep stirring it up, how about contributing?

Lee is missing a very big point, yes you can kill someone with an automobile or boat or even a pair of scissors but none of those items were designed with that purpose in mind. All guns were designed with the sole intention of stopping a life be it animal or human. Second, So far no one is going to prison for that childs life because no law has been broken. That sounds fair to you? I really don't think so but what are you personnaly going to lose by restricting the possesion of these weapons. Are you only worried about your rights and deem this an unfortunate accident. I personnaly don't consider things that can be totally avoided accidents and anything that can be done to prevent it from ever happening again should be considered.

If a child died in a car accident and was not buckled in that driver could face prison yet allowing an 8 year old to fire an automatic weapon is acceptable conduct.

I can't believe what I'm reading here, are you only concerned about yourselves?
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2008 at 2:57pm
How about an answer a little closer to HOME?

A house in your neighborhood rents for $2000. Your mortage payment is $1000. The difference is 1k right? That becomes imputed income that will be fully taxable at the end of the year. So, $12,000 is added to your income for tax purposes and might even push you into the next bracket!!!

If you have worked hard and minded your expenses you may OWN your home. In that case you'd add an additional $24,000 to the year end totals?!!?
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2008 at 3:06pm
Alan, I have a particular respect for you that I don't want to ruin...but

My responsibility in this world starts with myself and extends in order to my wife, my family, my employees, and my community.
If I don't take care of myself, who will?!!?

And I thought I was contributing with my 'big stick'!   
1988 BFN-sold

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2008 at 3:44pm
The gun that the 8 year old shot himself with was a fully automatic machine gun. They are illegal to own except for some government agencies or very few people who can get a license to own one. They couldn't be any more restricted than they already are.

It was totally irresponsible of the father and the gun owner to let that kid touch it. They both should be held responsible. Letting an 8 year old fire a machine gun is no different than letting him take off in your airplane or rice rocket. There is no law you can pass to prevent stupidity.

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23456 7>
  Share Topic