NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stringer Templates

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23456 7>
Author
Okie Boarder View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2009 at 9:19am
I'll check out those flap disks and give one a try the next go round on grinding. I have the main stringer all done and bought the wood the other day, so it's ready to get shaped to be put in.

I've been fighting with the temperatures and the outside versus inside thing. I just decided since I was going to store some things under the boat and block it up, to leave it put, in the garage. I've been opening the front two car door and the back 3rd car door and that helps. Everything is still getting covered in the dust. I just finish grinding the stage I'm on and clean up, open up the garage and pull out the leaf blower to blow everything off.
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2009 at 10:11am
Here's one redneck solution I came up with Okie; I ran some scrap gutter from the bilge drain out to the driveway. This way it can be rinsed out on the inside anyway. I would avoid this meathod after new parts start going back in. Later, you'll just need a soapy rag for amine blush. Cleaning the garage is in the mice-type.

I've also read about someone using a small trickle of water while they were cutting(air tools).

No arrows Pete.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
82 Nautique 1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82 Nautique 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2009 at 10:42pm
CPES Question ??

I have my first secondary stringer cut, dry fit, sanded and coated with a liberal amount of the CPES.

How long do I need to let the CPES dry or cure out before laminating the stringer back together and installing.
The CPES can said 1-3 days ?? Would that be for injecting it into wood or just coating as a sealer.

If I have to wait 3 day's this will really slow down my progress.

Need more planning I guess.

I feel like I am gaining on this project
Original Owner " Dennis"

1982 Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2009 at 10:52pm
Dennis,
All you need is to let the solvent flash off. This can be as short as a couple of hours if your working in a warm dry area. The solvent is used to reduce the viscosity of the CPES epoxy resin/hardener so it will penetrate. Once the solvent is gone, the normal exothermic reaction takes over curing the epoxy. That doesn't need air so even coated with more epoxy the CPES will continue to cure.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82 Nautique 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2009 at 11:01pm
Great,

Thanks for the quick reply, Now I can keep moving forward

Original Owner " Dennis"

1982 Nautique
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2009 at 3:35pm
Pete's always got all that fancy info! Put in terms meant for mortal men, you can re-coat when it's dry to the touch. I went with a minimum of 4 coats with more on end grain. Where it was practical, I even stood pieces on end so gravity would be my friend.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
abolton View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2009 at 12:02am
ABE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82 Nautique 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2009 at 12:08am
Stringer update on the 1988 nautique.....

Driver side stringer bedded in glass on Saturday night, Sunday I removed port side fibreglass flooring, foam, and cut out the stringer and ground the fillets on the edge. ( Dewalt grinder with the sandpaper worked best) I made a box chute for the shop vac to connect to. I placed this box in front of the grinder and it captured quite a bit of the grinding and sanding dust.

Today I cut the stringer, dry fit it " I lost count how many times I climbed in and out of the boat" and placed 4" fibreglass strip, 2" strip on top of this, Epoxy on bottom of stringer and set it in place.

I weighted the stringer down with bricks, then ended up putting kicker 1 by lumber against the garage rafter and top of the stringer.

I placed a tarp over the boat and placed a small electric heater under the tarp to keep the temperature around 80.

I ordered some 4/1 faster setting epoxy today, as the 3/1 takes so much time to set up. I am trying to speed up the stringer replacement and bedding some.

I am starting to understand how the cost of stringer/floor replacement can be so high if hired done.

Actually I am enjoying doing the work, and am looking forward to moving onto the main stringers

I will take some pictures of the in place secondaries tomorrow.

Storm to hit the midwest (Illinois ) next 2-3 days. I guess I will continue to hunker down in my man cave with my Correct Craft.

Dennis
Original Owner " Dennis"

1982 Nautique
abolton View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2009 at 12:48am
Look Mom - No Wood
ABE
abolton View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2009 at 12:51am
Dry fit complete, looks like I will need some help from you guys to post pics - sorry I cant figure it out any better than this for 2nite, If you can help I could e-mail better pics. I do intend to use Doug Fir for the main stringers only because I don't want to fab up L-angles for engine mounts.
ABE
Wacko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wacko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2009 at 2:14am
Looking good
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2009 at 4:24am
ABE brother, polystyrene really? There is a lot of load on that stringer build up as it runs parrallel to the cradle, the lamination required is going to be pretty severe with no core contribution. What's the plans?
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
abolton View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2009 at 3:04pm
Brother...Nidacor is structual core, but please dont take my word for it, go check out Nidacore's website and talk with their Engineers, maybe you will learn a little - really. I have worked with Nidacor for 7 years.
ABE
JohnG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2009 at 3:31pm
Abe,

Kudos for the composite work! I'm currently doing the stringers in my Mustang and I considered the "no wood" approach. I'm much more comfortable with woodworking so I'm going traditional.

Okie,

I went to Harbor Freight and bought some flapper discs, they are awesome. Just keep 'em moving, they remove material VERY quickly. The 24 grits are very aggressive; I'm only using them to clean up my old stringers (for templates). The 60 grit are perfect for cleaning up the bilge area and should remove the bedding in no time.

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2009 at 8:27pm
Nidacore is not polystyrene so the answer to my question is to look closer, my bad for commenting from an iPhone. The nidacore is better by a longshot although how it is laminated in will go a long way toward determining whether you come close to the strength of the previous system. Will be interesing to watch.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
abolton View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2009 at 11:47am
Thanks Joe, I will keep the pics comming for ya! I butter top and bottom edge (round the top)then encapsolate with a layer of 1-1/2oz mat, then a layer of 18oz roving, then another layer of 1-1/2oz mat. I step tab about 4" out on ea. side to the hull after some dreaded grinding ofcourse. I will be using Nidacor for the Floor layout as well, If you notice there are no cut downs on the stringer for the floor. My floor will end up 3/4" higher than stock and will rest on the tab on the hull sides left from cutting out the orig. floor. I will have to recess at the welded top flange on the pylon, other than that I don't see any conflict and I like the extra meat on the stringers.
ABE
Wacko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wacko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2009 at 4:58pm
Abe, what do use to cut the Nidacor? Does it come in sheets like plywood?
abolton View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2009 at 7:27pm
Table saw, Skill saw, jig saw - not hard to cut and you can rough shape with a grinder, butter in and final shape. Depending on the thickness you can bend it around corners, I made a wind screen for my offshore boat.
ABE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82 Nautique 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2009 at 6:26pm
88 2001 Nautique stringer rebuild update:

I finished cutting out the first main stringer & dry fit the new one.
Also glassed it in today.

Picture of the dry fit with braces to hold the correct spacing. I took many measurements as far as widths and elevations of stringers and engine cradle.

I can see the messy grinding dust setteling down soon. I will be happy to get the last stringer out.

Questions ?? When I cut out the fibreglass floor, I left about a 1 1/2" lip around the floor area at the hull. when is the best time to finish cutting that off and cleaning up the sides to wrap the floor and tie it into the floor?

A few more questions:

1. Should I foam and shape floor then cut out the edge ?
2. Suggestions for sequence of glass floor ? Mat type, layers ?

Thanks

Dennis
Original Owner " Dennis"

1982 Nautique
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2009 at 8:07pm
Abolton,
I looked at Nadacor's web site, they sell a lot of stuff - can you give us a part # of the material your using?
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

abolton View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2009 at 11:34am
Originally posted by Waterdog Waterdog wrote:

Abolton,
I looked at Nadacor's web site, they sell a lot of stuff - can you give us a part # of the material your using?
\

I use H8PP in two forms "hard pannel" from Nidacor it has 18oz roving on both sides. I use it for flooring just like you would use 3/4" plywood. I also use it with just a tissue paper on both sides and then use my own lay up sched. You can bend it if you need to conform to a shape, I have made wind farrings and engine hatches, I have used it for deck and hull core, seat bases ect. It all comes in sheets just like plywood. For any fasteners, fill the core and use backing plates, that's the only hard part about it.
ABE
abolton View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2009 at 11:44am
Did most of the grinding this weekend, I had been putting it off, I dred grinding. It went pretty well, hope to finish this week so I can butter up and get a stringer in and laminate it in.
ABE
Cslaten33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cslaten33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2010 at 8:57am
What is the stuff you are attatching the stringer to the hull with????
Thanks Clark Slaten
abolton View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2010 at 11:07am
The dredded grinding is done and I have the Nidacor bed in and 3/4" fillets are inplace at the hull. The Nidacor top side is all filled and sanded to 1" round and ready to be laminated to the hull. I start 4" out from the stringer, up and over and stop 4" out on the other side with 1-1/2oz mat, then 18oz roving, followed by another layer of mat all stepped about 1" at the hull completly encapcilating the nidacor. I have to order my Doug Fir for the Main Stringers this week. I hope laminate it in and I will take some pics tonight.
ABE
abolton View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2010 at 2:15am

Pic.s of Nidacor with fillet at hull and cap fillet top of stringer, now just a little sand and its ready for lay up lamination sched. Brown fillet is a fillet powder I had left over from last project, the cream color fillet is micro balloons, it all equals the same result. A nice radius for the mat and roving to follow. Tabs will be stepped out 4" on each side of stringer.
ABE
Waldo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waldo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2010 at 3:45am
Abe you should have a thread for your boat.

Waldo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82 Nautique 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2010 at 8:23pm
Update on my 1988 2001 SN Stringer job:

All 4 stringers are glassed in, Here is a picture of the drivers side:

I will take more Pictures of the additional suports and post them.
Temperatures outside -10 last night. I have been keeping heat in garage on and after I glass anything I cover the area with a tarp and place an aditional space heater inside so the resin will set ok.

I have been using a thermocouple placed under the tarp with a digital readout to monitor the temperatures.

I have reworked the vent pipes running around the battery box. (This was a failure area with the original plastic vents the factory used falling apart and the water entering the vents flowed into the foam under the front area. I replaced by using 3" pvc to prevent the failure of the flexible hose again.

I think I am starting to feel I have turned the corner on this project.

I ordered more 3:1 Eopxy Resin and some more glass.

This has been quite a project. I am sure if I would do another stringer rebuild it would be easier the second time around.

More pictures to come in a few days.
Original Owner " Dennis"

1982 Nautique
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2010 at 8:59pm
Originally posted by 82 Nautique 1 82 Nautique 1 wrote:

Update on my 1988 2001 SN Stringer job:

I think I am starting to feel I have turned the corner on this project.

How many times have I said that before.   Seriously though, very nice work,looking good.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82 Nautique 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2010 at 6:49pm
88 Floor update:
A little more glassing and I will soon be ready for the foam instalation.

Guys ??? Should I cut and grind the lip I left around the edge before installing the foam ? I would think it would be best to do it first.

Waiting on some through hull fittings to arrive to finish up the battery box drain, then the forward area will be ready to foam and glass.

Randy @ US Composits suggested 3-4 layers of Glass/Epoxy Resin to get around 1/4" thickness. Does this sound right ? I am using all fiberglass other than the 3/4" plywood/glass area in front of the pylon.
Original Owner " Dennis"

1982 Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2010 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by 82 Nautique 1 82 Nautique 1 wrote:

Randy @ US Composits suggested 3-4 layers of Glass/Epoxy Resin to get around 1/4" thickness. Does this sound right ?

That all depends on what what you are using for glass... is it cloth? Mat? Both?

Are you using typical through hull fittings on the battery box drains? What about the hose/tubing? Thats one thing I havent finalized on my rebuild yet.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23456 7>
  Share Topic