Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

23' Fish Nautique Restoration Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23456 17>
Author
jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2010 at 12:09am
I am going to use Nida-Core 8HP 1 inch for the deck. What are you doing with that console you made? Are you using that as a template or is that going to be the underlaminate for the console? I like that design, just wondering if there would be enough room under there to fit the motor. I guess I am still a few weeks from worring about that. My console is not in the best of shape so I either need to rebuild it or build a new one.
tuna_tugger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuna_tugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2010 at 12:19am
fire-fighten is putting outboard engines so the console doesn't have to tilt up. I put an access panel in the side of my console so I could check the oil and trans fluid with out tilting it up. Works out nice.
Don Liberman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuna_tugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2010 at 2:58am
Have you looked at www.boatbuilderscenteral.com They have good info. on stringer replacement.
Don Liberman
firefight-n View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firefight-n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2010 at 9:56am
tuna tugger- fishin off port of everglades dolphin tourny...
jz- yeah thats the actual console i build and am using, its half inch ply and going to be glassed over on both sides and yes it is PLENTY big enough for an inboard engine, this console is almost twice the size of the console that came with the boat. but u can design and build any shape console u need to fit ur needs, its not hard at all... so did u figure out if your using the composite stringer system or r u going to build your own mold and build them yourself?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuna_tugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2010 at 12:05pm
Nice fish I cought a 58lb dorardo (dolphin) one week before our tourny.. and a 20 lb the day of our tourny...I lost!!!! With a console that size I can imagin all the tackel compartments etc. you can do with it. I'm not sure yet wether or not I'm going to have to tear my boat apart. I found some punky wood when I was mounting a new power assist steering cylinder. Plus I can only get 3,600RPM and top speed is only 28 so I felt with the age of the boat I was heavy because of water in the foam and wood. First I'm going to weigh the boat and do some more trouble shooting on the engine before I dig into the hull. If I do tear into the hull I would keep the boat an inboard. Keep the pictures comming.
Don Liberman
jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2010 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by firefight-n firefight-n wrote:

tuna tugger- fishin off port of everglades dolphin tourny...
jz- yeah thats the actual console i build and am using, its half inch ply and going to be glassed over on both sides and yes it is PLENTY big enough for an inboard engine, this console is almost twice the size of the console that came with the boat. but u can design and build any shape console u need to fit ur needs, its not hard at all... so did u figure out if your using the composite stringer system or r u going to build your own mold and build them yourself?

Not sure yet about the stringers. The premade ones are really not the expensive. For what I will needs they are $25-$30 for an 8ft section. It leans more towards the $30 when you add the carbon fiber top skin, which I think I might do to the secondary stringer. Once I get my Hull 100% cleared out I will start to do some major decision making. I did talk to a fellow that told me to not take the stringers out. He says to cut the tops off and dig all thats bad out and fill it in with the composite fill. Now, if I do that and there are just a few bad areas then yes I say I will go that route, but if the stringer is rotten 100% front to back I will just go ahead and replace it. I should know more tomorrow as I am off all day :)
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firefight-n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2010 at 1:35pm
yeah i talked to a guy that built a FN from the ground up and turned it into an outboard boat also so i took his ideas and started at it and so far this is where im at. gotta get some more supplies from US composites when im back down in WPB. Keep up the good work
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2010 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

as long as you have strength in the main line stringer, youll be fine but if your going to take both stringers out and put only 1 back in, you will have to split the difference b/w the keel and the side line chine and put the stringer there. this will gove you your integrity back. what are you going to build your deck out of?

And you will fix his boat when it breaks , I am sure you have the engineering skill to properly instruct such a change in the basic stringer design.Just asking?

I dont mean to interrupt your conversation, but I think Billy raises a good point. I generally try to fix factory flaws and over-build my projects. To underbuild a boat compared to the factory specs can be a risky undertaking, so hopefully you have some good engineering justification that your changes will be acceptable. If not, I suppose that risk would only apply to your own boat and whoever you take out on it. To suggest that anyone else make the same changes to their boat without justifying the design is somewhat irresponsible.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firefight-n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2010 at 1:26am
your exactly right im not saying to underbuild the stringer system by any means, all i meant was if he was having trouble with placement of his fuel tanks etc etc, that it is possible to refab the stringers in the boat... The stringers that were in the boat b4 were garbage 2x4. So yes overbuild the stringers if your going to pull the old. Sorry for the misunderstanding
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2010 at 10:06am
There's that other topic too...

I've never had my boat 50-60 miles from shore. Bobbing around in the ocean on a fart cushion reminds me of baiting a hook!
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firefight-n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2010 at 10:57am
lol whats that supposed to mean???
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2010 at 11:18am
I'm glad you didn't take offense cuz none was meant.

It's the old 'foam or no foam'/floatation debate; and since it's Eric's birthday, I thought I'd throw it out there(I hear he's almost 12? ).

This topic has seen some serious ink around here, but this is a different application. I'm wondering how much foam, if any, you guys are planning to use.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2010 at 11:55am

your exactly right im not saying to underbuild the stringer system by any means, all i meant was if he was having trouble with placement of his fuel tanks etc etc, that it is possible to refab the stringers in the boat... The stringers that were in the boat b4 were garbage 2x4. So yes overbuild the stringers if your going to pull the old. Sorry for the misunderstanding

Yes, reconfiguring may be acceptable- so long as you determine that the new structure has as much or more strength than the original did. While you may not be impressed with the factory design, those 2 sets of main 2x4 stringers added a lot of rigidity to the hull, and were covered in a hefty schedule of glass. The ribs and the floor/foam/hull sandwich served their purpose well- keeping the v-hull in the shape of a vee.

I have my doubts that a single set of foam-filled, piecemealed stringers will have the same strength as the 2 sets of one-pieced wood encapsulated ones... but thats just an armchair observation. If youve done the analysis to determine that your method is acceptable, by all means, clue us in. Otherwise, you may not want to recommend that others follow your lead. If I understand correctly, youre repowering with outboards- so maybe your hull wont need to be as strong as the factory set up (since its not supporting the engine). Again, just an observation.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firefight-n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2010 at 12:37pm
Buffalo, i will be replacing all and more foam in my boat with 4lb density. Just my opinion but i feel foam holds up most of the shape and integrity during a boats beatings offshore along with the extra floatation.\
TRB, I didnt "recommend" him to do a job like mine, i was just offering a suggestion due to the fact that we are building the same boat... The last boat i did was a very similar job to what im doing now and was a tank in a big ocean. Wellcraft V20. If im not mistaken almost 100% of boats built today are 2 foam filled,wood free stringers with a system of foam bulkheads all heftly glassed together. Yes anyone should do their own research on there boats engineering but i thought this was a "suggestion warehouse" and a neat situation that he and I are doing the exact same boat and job at the same time. Im not trying to be rude at all but i dont know what u want me to say other than sorry for the misunderstanding...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuna_tugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2010 at 12:40pm
I fish in the sea of Cortez not the Atlantic. Most of the time it's like a pond where I am.
Don Liberman
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firefight-n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2010 at 1:03pm
where is the sea of cortez???
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2010 at 1:20pm

as long as you have strength in the main line stringer, youll be fine but if your going to take both stringers out and put only 1 back in, you will have to split the difference b/w the keel and the side line chine and put the stringer there. this will gove you your integrity back.

Im not trying to be a jerk, but I just found this statement to be a very dangerous one and wanted to weigh in on the other side of the coin. Anyone rebuilding one of these boats should consider the ramifications of changing the design very carefully. I wouldnt state that you can remove 2 stringers and replace them with 1 if you "split the difference" unless I had done the analysis to prove it was acceptable OR had made provisions to recoup the strength you lost in another way. Thats a pretty big design change and would be highly dependant on the methods and materials used, glass schedules, etc.

Im not saying that you shouldnt make changes- Ive done so on my projects as well. I think this forum is a great place to share ideas and encourages people to pioneer some nice improvements on these boats. However, it is also a place where people will be brutally honest- so if misinformation is presented or questionable practices are endorsed, you can expect someone to say something.

Either way, its great to see some Fishes being restored. Im not a fisherman, but I think they are very cool boats.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuna_tugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2010 at 1:29pm
It is in between the Baja peninsula and main land Mexico on the pacific side. I am in a town called San Jose del Cabo 20 miles up the coast from Cabo San Lucas. Jest for the record I have a little experance rebuilding boats from pongas to a 35' wooden cris craft and I have seen your pictures and have been following your rebuild ans I would go off shore in your boat any day. She is going to be awesome keep the pictures comming. Friday I am planning to take my fish to the scales to try and deturmin if I need to replace the foam and stringers because of water so I am watching you and John and learning alot about what is under the decks. If nothing else I an going to put saddel tanks in like John is doing to gain more space and put the live well inside the boat and get rid of the swim platform. May even put a door in the back to drag big fish in. keep the pictures comming.
Don Liberman
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firefight-n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2010 at 1:42pm
TRB, right on. I understand that completely! I appreciate your input and it makes good points but now you have me geting worried as im sure lots of people do while "re" building their own boats lol... i guess as i finish this project and others i will keep you informed as to how the boat held up. There will always be question in my head when i hit a big wave as to how my job will hold up. ya know

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuna_tugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2010 at 1:48pm

TRB, right on. I understand that completely! I appreciate your input and it makes good points but now you have me geting worried as im sure lots of people do while "re" building their own boats lol... i guess as i finish this project and others i will keep you informed as to how the boat held up. There will always be question in my head when i hit a big wave as to how my job will hold up. ya know

The best way to find out is when you take it out for the first time find a big wave or a big wake and take her air born then you know for sure. I have had mine air born several times and it's stock and what your doing makes the factory job look sad.
Don Liberman
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firefight-n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2010 at 1:59pm
Tugger, thanks bud! im trying to build a strong and trustworthy boat so i guess we'll see... neways yeah its probably going to take a little bit to finish but if your ever in the florida area, hit me up and we'll see if we can get off into the deep...
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firefight-n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2010 at 2:02pm
oh i know! when i dug into this boat, i was real surprised at what i found inside. It looks like they were sitting in a little garage and built the stringer system out of scrap wood in the back yard... other than that i love the boat and its lines and cant wait to get her back into the water.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuna_tugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2010 at 2:06pm

Tugger, thanks bud! im trying to build a strong and trustworthy boat so i guess we'll see... neways yeah its probably going to take a little bit to finish but if your ever in the florida area, hit me up and we'll see if we can get off into the deep...

Already lived in florida so it's a slim chance. I have lived here for 10 years and it's paradice so it's hard to get me out of here.
Don Liberman
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firefight-n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2010 at 2:13pm
i can only imagine! my wife and i just got back from costa rica for 2 weeks it was an awesome trip.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuna_tugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2010 at 2:18pm

oh i know! when i dug into this boat, i was real surprised at what i found inside. It looks like they were sitting in a little garage and built the stringer system out of scrap wood in the back yard... other than that i love the boat and its lines and cant wait to get her back into the water.

You know how manufacturers are they worry about the bottom line and cut corners where they can't be seen. I love the lines of the boat and the wat it handles. She really fishes well also. another project I have on the list is to put padded bolsters on the comming boards. I like to stand up fish so I like the fact that the comming is low and I can get my feet under the gunnels. It really locks you in when your rocking and rolling.
Don Liberman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuna_tugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2010 at 2:21pm

i can only imagine! my wife and i just got back from costa rica for 2 weeks it was an awesome trip.

Come on down to Cabo I have extra rooms. Lots of big black and blue marlin this time of the year.
Don Liberman
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firefight-n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2010 at 2:24pm
yeah i hear that... Have you ever heard of sea-dek seadek.com they are awesome and im also planning on doing the same thing with that brand around the whole boat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuna_tugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2010 at 2:30pm

yeah i hear that... Have you ever heard of sea-dek seadek.com they are awesome and im also planning on doing the same thing with that brand around the whole boat

no but in about five minutes I will. I would like to cover the old decks with something non skid. That's another project on the list. We just finished a local 22' ponga with a 115 4 stroke to charter and have something to fish with while we do some work on the fish.
Don Liberman
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firefight-n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2010 at 2:35pm
i gotcha. I dont know what im doing with the deck yet, i havent started to think about that yet but will shortly im sure. do you have any picturs of your FN yet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuna_tugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2010 at 2:41pm

i gotcha. I dont know what im doing with the deck yet, i havent started to think about that yet but will shortly im sure. do you have any picturs of your FN yet

I just checked out sea dek, I have seen them before. The comming I'll have made down here. But I'm still not sure about the decks. There stuff looks good. I'm just coing to cover what is existing non skid now. I'm still looking for the stuff I used on my chris craft it looked as good when I sold the boat 15 years after I installed it and it saw a lot of fishing and partying.
Don Liberman
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23456 17>
  Share Topic