NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gel Spraying Techniques

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 34567>
Author
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2007 at 8:50pm

Back home and back to work on the 87 SN. Only half of one side still needs to be filled. Then I can start sanding in prep for the gelcote.
Bill
http://www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks
www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks 1987 SN Rebuild Project
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2007 at 9:04pm
Glad to see you back Bill. Missed your progress photos. Sounds like you were able to come home earlier than expected. BKH
Livin' the Dream

87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2007 at 7:38pm
Yeah glad to have you back Bill. I thought you were home a little early but can't wait to see more photos of your progress.
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2007 at 9:47pm

All of the old gelcote has been grinded off. I applied Bondo as a fairing compound to fill the tool marks from the grinder. (Yeah, the paint shaver pro is probably worth it, Farmer). Sanded with 80 then 120 grit. The entire boat is prepared for new gel. Washed the entire garage and the boat. Then started spraying gelcote on the bottom of the boat. That fancy spray gun of mine doesnt like working upside down. The bottom is done down to the last three feet from the stern. Applied three coats of gel and a final coat with wax. Hope to finish the bottom tomorrow. Then I'll tape off the stripe and go to work. Consumed a gallon of gelcote so far on the bottom.

I'll get a few pics of the gel tomorrow. They didnt come out well tonight.
Bill
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2007 at 10:33am
Bill:

Everytime I see your pictures, I am in awe of your hard work and dedication. Believe me, I know how difficult a task you have undertaken.

Can I make a picky observation? Oh well, here it is anyway...you should remove the bow eye before you gelcoat (if not too late). Why? Well, it will be better if the gelcoat is contiguous (sp?) under the eye. The gel will be more likely to flake, crack and peel if terminated around the perimeter of the eye. Plus it will just be a cleaner look ultimately. All you have to do is remove the nuts from the inside and pull it out.

I looked up that gel spray rig you purchased from US Composites. My oppinion is that you would get better results by using an automotive spray gun and thinning the gelcoat. The gun you are using is for applying gel to molds before the fiberglass is laid up. When spraying molds, it does not matter how much orange peel there is because the surface against the mold will be smooth no matter what. Also, you want fast build-up and thus a lot of gel out of the gun at one time. Just my thoughts...I could be all wet on this as I have never seen or used the gun you have.
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2007 at 12:59pm
Actually I was hoping you might have some input. I appreciate your help. I struggled to remove the bow eye but from what appears to be a previous repair it is laminated into the bow from the inside.

I did learn that by thinning the gelcote with styrene I was able to significantly reduce the amount of orange peel. It builds quickly and covers a large area.

I am trying to figure out how to mask off for the stripe now. Thanks again.
Bill
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2007 at 4:50am
Bill, After you posted buying the gun, I too looked at it on US Composites web site and my impression of it was the same as Davids! I think you would be better off with a regular gun with the proper fluid tips which will give you a decent fan spray pattern. There are spray additives that are said to do a better job than styrene. They only have a 90 day shelf life though. I've never used them, just the styrene. Have you looked at any of them? I have heard that the new product of Mini-Craft that was reported on a earlier post, (the high gloss orange no sand) may be gel that simply comes pre mixed with the spray additive.

Looking good!! Sorry to hear that the bow eye wouldn't come off!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2007 at 1:16pm
I will give it a try tonight with my gravity feed spray gun. I cannot afford to buy the other gelcote. It looks really great, though. With my next order of gelcote I am going to buy a different nozzle as well. All talk, just need time away from work to get to work on the boat.
Bill
oldskiboat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldskiboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2007 at 4:22pm
I just read through the entire listing. It is good to start with a smooth surface, so your prep work seems to be the way to go. I used a remote pressurized gun. Not expensive and it worked well pumping up the thick gelcoat. This way you don’t have to thin it. You’re going to get orange peel no matter what you do, so don't worry about it. Put the special wax in the finial coat and wet sand with an orbital sander. The wax will cause the gel to dry without a sticky finish. I used a porter cable electric one and it worked great. Start coarse and work to a 500 then 1000 wet paper. I used a liquid rubbing compound (pink stuff) to buff it out. It came out great.

Regarding mixing color. You can do it in batches, but make sure you buy your base gelcoat at the same time. Then pay close attention to the amount of color added to the first batch and do the exact same thing each time. I do mean the exact amount. A syringe with a cc rating works well. Drop by drop also does.

Good luck,

Gary
Gary
The Villages Fl.

75Southwind 20
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2007 at 6:16pm

The entire bottom of the boat is covered in gelcote now. You can see the difference on the driver side where I started sanding with 120 grit. The orange peel is very bad.

I quickly clogged and subsequently destroyed my HVLP sprayer this afternoon. Just a little flare up of PTSD. Went back to the other sprayer. It leaves some significant orange peel but sure is user friendly. It has a #6 nozzle. I'll order a #5 and #4 as well to see if they make a difference.

I will have a lot of sanding. Gary's post is reassuring. I am not afraid of a lot of sanding.

Bill
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2007 at 5:05am
Bill, You know that you have done lots of wet sanding when the water bucket you are using is turning pink! That's from the tips of your fingers bleeding!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2007 at 10:09pm

Dont beat me up over the quality of the picture. The gelcote work is much worse than the photography. Point to this photo is that I just figured out that I could roll the boat onto one side to make it easier to work on the bottom. Just now figured that out. Bought a cheap pressure spray gun. Mixed up the gelcote with a lot of styrene and it sprayed on very nicely. The orange peel was nothing compared to the other sprayer. Bad news is that I only made it 3/4 the length of the boat before I ran out of gelcote. Checking the work later I found a run also. By the time I finish the bottom I should have the hang of it.
Bill
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2007 at 7:24am
Bill, one nice thing about runs in gel is that since it's catalized, the run is hard unlike normal paints which are soft under the surface. We have all been there!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2007 at 2:14pm
The angle your boat is sitting, what's that a sharp left at about 30mph? Well better to start on the bottom for practice. Your doing a hell of a nice job, keep it up.
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2007 at 4:58pm

My wife asked if I was about finished yet. I explained that I have half-finsihed sanding half of one side of the bottom of the boat. She was not amused. It is snowing outside so it still doesn't matter but the clock is ticking.

Last night I applied gelcote thinned heavily with styrene from a pressure gun. It gave a much smoother finish than I was getting before. Today I applied trace on the new gelcote. Then I used an orbital sander with 120 grit and knocked down the bumps. I followed with the orbital and 220 grit sanding until the trace was light grey. Then I wet sanded with 500 grit until I was soaked and all the trace was gone. Looks pretty good so far.

Problems are that I am out of gelcote for a few days and I am concerned that maybe I have not made it thick enough. I know it is supposed to be 22mils and I have a thickness guage. I am thinking the 22mils should be the final depth after sanding. I have two quarter sized dark spots where I sanded so much the dark color of the hull shows through.

Anybody got an idea on how I can make sure I get the gelcote thick enough but not too thick to cause problems later?

Thanks
Bill
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2007 at 5:52pm
Bill,

I've never done gel coat. However, I did watch a video instruction. In the video I watched, the fellow put on a pretty heavy layer as a first coat (for patches, he even suggested you could put the first coat on with a brush. Then he did a quick knock down sand. Then he did a second fairly thick coat before beginning a finish sand. He applied the gel in small circle patterns, which he said helps to build up thickness. BKH
Livin' the Dream

SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2007 at 4:30pm

Since I ran out of white gelcote I started on the blue stripe. Taped it off with blue tape and paper. Applied four coats at 8psi with my pressure gun. Used overlapping circular strokes like waxing. The last coat I added wax. Only did the one side. I have enough left to do the back. Trying to figure out how to remove the tape without damaging the gelcote. As I see it I am making progress.
Bill
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2007 at 5:03am
Bill, Wet sand the gel on top of the tape and remove it. Is that blue painters tape? Get some 3M fine line.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2007 at 9:50am
I hate to tell you I told you so on the spray gun, but I am glad you tried it. When I repaired my boat, it took at least two and most of the time three coats of get to get good thickness. If you have a high spot that you sanded through, then you will continue to sand through on subsequent application of gel. You need to sand the high spot down before applying the second coat.

You should pull the tape immediately after spraying and before the gel kicks.

Warning: Make sure ALL traces of the tracer are gone before apply a second coat of gel or you just might end up with a nasty black halo in spots.

Keep up the good work.
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2007 at 5:45pm
Thanks to Pete and David for all of your help during this project.

David,
I guess I have been doing it all wrong (again).

I just sprayed one coat - waited for it to dry - then sprayed each additional coat the same way. If I understand correctly, I should spray one coat, remove the tape - once dry apply tracer and sand. Only question I have is do I put wax in each coat or just the last one?

I started sanding the blue today. I wet sanded by hand with 220, 320, and I am up to 400. However, there are still some fairly deep indentations. I will never be able to wet sand all the way down to those spots. Probably wouldn't have that problem if I had sanded between coats. I suppose the only thing to do is sand it down with an orbital then put on another coat of gelcote. Sound right?

Bill
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2007 at 4:55am
Bill, Just wax the last coat. It really is just a sanding aid because it floats to the surface sealing the gel preventing the tackyness. It is also said to be a lubricate for dry sanding.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2007 at 9:15am
Bill:

No, you have not been doing it wrong. It is OK to apply multiple coats without sanding first but only if the additional coats are applied before the previous coat fully cures. Only apply wax to the last coat. If more coats are required after the wax coat, then you must sand (obviously).

So, what I did was spray the area in small circular motions three times (letting the styrene flash off between passes). This helped build thickness. The styrene had a chance to flash off while I was mixing up the next batch of gel for my small spray gun. I pulled the tape immediately after applying the last coat.

Then, after sanding to remove the orange peel, I frequently applied another heavy coat (paying particular attention to build any low spots). However, this is the step that I had to be sure all the tracer was gone (sometime this required sanding more than I wanted to).

Bill, you are doing fine and there is not only one right way to do this. Do what works best for you...you can always fix mistakes later if need be.
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2007 at 7:08pm

I sanded down the blue stripe and it turned out pretty good. It is still plenty thick. I taped off the stripe and mixed up some white. Sprayed on the white and right after I cleaned the gun I removed the tape. Once it dried I sanded down the bad spots and applied a second coat. Sniffing fumes and waiting for the second coat to dry right now. This system should produce a pretty good finish.

Thanks again Pete and Dave.
Bill
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2007 at 6:51am
Looking good Bill. The first time is always the hardest since it's a learning expierience. When you are wet sanding the gel, I think you may be trying to get it too perfect. You would not believe the defects in the gel that come on brand new boats! We all over restore our boats especially woodies. I know it's hard to leave a bad spot or just fudge it in, but I'll bet no one would notice it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2007 at 9:45am
Yes, I think I agree with that. In fact on my boat, if I had one very minor low spot, I would forgo the sanding block and use my hand to get into the low spot. Impossible to notice on the final product. Pinholes and divots are something else.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2007 at 5:14pm
That looks like alot of work, but man does it look good. I really like the deep blue.
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2007 at 5:54pm
Thanks for all the support. I sprayed a final layer of white gelcote below the blue stripe on the stern and right side. It was the smoothest finish so far. I am sure that is because I sanded between layers. I just started wet sanding that area. My plan is to hit it once with the 400 grit then finish what I started below the boat. Not getting to spend as much time working on the boat as I wish I could but I'll keep at it.
Bill
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2007 at 11:34pm
Your work continues to be inspirational Bill. BKH
Livin' the Dream

SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2007 at 8:24pm

I am determined to get this project finished. Spent a few hours sanding then cleaning the side and bottom of the hull. Then sprayed on the first layer of white gel on top of the blue stripe. Took two shots to get it all. The first I bungled at the bow and made some big orange peel. The second I bungled by over-thinning causing it to run like crazy. The bottom already had one coat of white that was sanded. I mixed it just a little too thick. Three sprays and I jacked up all of them.

Not worried. I mixed in wax. I will dry sand with 320 to smooth it all out. The next spray can only be better.
Bill
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2007 at 8:46pm
Bill,

Have refrained from making any remarks on your post as not wanting to add comments without substance to such a great string however I can hold out no longer, Bill you are a machine and it gives me a great sense of security to know someone like yourself is also a part of our armed forces, Keep up the great work it has been amazing to watch!!

David, Pete, ET AL, great input along the way!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 34567>
  Share Topic