NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tow capacity help...

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 456
Author
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-25-2011 at 11:16am
4X4 would be preferable because of the slick boat ramps. Stick is even better, I used to have a V6 F150 with a stick, just stick it in 4 low and 2nd and it would drag anything it would tow right up a steep slippery ramp.   

A V6 F150 might be worth looking at, I had 3 Rangers and an Explorer and got the same MPG as the full size V6, but it was night and day difference in the way it towed. They all could use some more power, but the full size never felt like the trailer might make it do something.   Never had anything happen with any of them though.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2011 at 11:11pm
Originally posted by P71_CrownVic P71_CrownVic wrote:

I think a Saturn Ion should do the trick!   

Seriously though...my 1986 weighs just under 4K pounds with fluids/fuel/trailer/etc. Keep that in mind.

My Silverado will spin until the diff locks, then it will come out.

OK, I just couldn't resist any longer. I took the bait. My wife prefers to use the Escape anytime she needs to tow an outhouse however!
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2011 at 8:42pm

Ok, you must have the 1/2 ton with the junk posi!!!!! The 3/4's use the good one!!! You should have purchased a 3/4.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2011 at 8:23pm
Someone else might have more insight on that. I don't know what it does for tow ratings, I just know it gives confidence at the ramp.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

oledb4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oledb4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2011 at 8:20pm
Originally posted by OverMyHead OverMyHead wrote:

My above mentioned Dakota is a manual. I have not had any issues with towing. It is the reason I always use 4 low. Rather than work the clutch in difficult situations I can let it out and creep along with plenty of time for fine steering adjustments. It has never stalled in 4 low no mater how bad my teenager might dump the clutch. A side issue is cell phone use. I loved driving my 88 accord with a manual, then my next vehicle was an automatic. After replacing the tranny on that one I though I would go back to a clutch when I bought the 2000 year vehicle new. In the interim cell phones became common place and although I would not advocate driving and using a cell I admit at times I answer it, and adding that in with steering and shifting is a bad deal.

I read the tow cap on an '03 3.0 v6 ranger 4x4 manual was around 3200...I believe boat+trailer weight is above that...would the 4x4 make up for the difference?? or how does all that work??
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2011 at 8:08pm
My above mentioned Dakota is a manual. I have not had any issues with towing. It is the reason I always use 4 low. Rather than work the clutch in difficult situations I can let it out and creep along with plenty of time for fine steering adjustments. It has never stalled in 4 low no mater how bad my teenager might dump the clutch. A side issue is cell phone use. I loved driving my 88 accord with a manual, then my next vehicle was an automatic. After replacing the tranny on that one I though I would go back to a clutch when I bought the 2000 year vehicle new. In the interim cell phones became common place and although I would not advocate driving and using a cell I admit at times I answer it, and adding that in with steering and shifting is a bad deal.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

oledb4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oledb4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2011 at 7:26pm
and what about a 3.0 4x4 manual transmission...My thoughts are the 4x4 would def help, but not sure the effect manual transmission has on it...
oledb4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oledb4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2011 at 7:25pm

Seriously though...my 1986 weighs just under 4K pounds with fluids/fuel/trailer/etc. Keep that in mind.

is that with the original trailer or have you upgraded??
P71_CrownVic View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2011 at 6:56pm

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2011 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by Maximal691 Maximal691 wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6yVkGGwZG0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Youtube link

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2011 at 3:51pm
I tow with a Jeep Liberty 4*4, which is not necessarily the stoutest 4*4, but it does the job. I can put it into 4Low, which is huge. Not just on the boat ramp, but maneuvering around some steep dirt grades nearby, especially from a dead stop.

If you're on a budget, you might be better off with a heavy rear wheel drive car, like a Caprice Wagon or something. My father used to tow a pretty heavy boat with an Electra wagon. Plenty of weight over the rear wheels, it never had any trouble on the ramp.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2011 at 2:55pm
I tow with a 2.9 liter dodge dakota with 200,000 miles. I have towed twice five hours to green lake. Last year I fought overheating on the way home in very hot humid conditions. Local is not much of a problem but trailer brakes would be highly recommended. I always go up the ramp in 4 low. Would not feel real confident with two wheel on the ramps.
1987 Ski Nautique

Maximal691 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maximal691 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2011 at 1:22pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6yVkGGwZG0&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Maximal691 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maximal691 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2011 at 1:16pm
You will be fine just driving down the road as long as you use caution when coming to stops. I'd more concerned about getting the boat out of the launch being two wheel drive. There are plenty of factors that go into it though, the quality of your tires, steepness of the launch, and how slick the launch surface is. Does the ranger have limited slip? If not you only have one wheel actually doing the work. The last thing you want to do is be "that guy" at the boat launch on a busy saturday.
politicallycorrect View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote politicallycorrect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2011 at 1:11pm
Maybe this will help you decide if the vehicle is good for boat launching...explorer boat launch
Skin grows back...fiberglass doesn't!!
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2011 at 1:06pm
Being able to pull up the ramp is critical if you are executing the pullout by yourself. If you have another person, you can push with the prop to get momentum if you have to. If the wheels spin, the rig can slip downhill, not a good feeling!

“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2011 at 12:58pm
I've seen Rangers spin trying to pull a Ski Tique out. Not enough weight over the rear wheels.
Tim D
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2011 at 11:38am
Originally posted by NCH20SKIER NCH20SKIER wrote:

I used to tow my 83 with a V6 explorer which probably has a similar power plant - never an issue pulling out of the lake always used 1st gear (automatic trans). Slow to get up to speed from the lights and stops were planned / anticipated in advance

From a stop, the car is going to use 1st whether it's in D or 1.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2011 at 10:23am
I used to tow my 83 with a V6 explorer which probably has a similar power plant - never an issue pulling out of the lake always used 1st gear (automatic trans). Slow to get up to speed from the lights and stops were planned / anticipated in advance
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2011 at 9:49am
if you've ever experienced a trailer with good operating trailer brakes, then pulling it wouldnt even be a question, sn, points out the obvious,
"the things you own will start to own you"
oledb4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oledb4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2011 at 12:12am
Wouldn't be more than 10-15 miles...it's used and it is an auto...I would not be on any highways or anything like that
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2011 at 12:03am
How far do you plan on going? Is it an automatic? New or used?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2011 at 11:29pm
Pulling is one thing....stopping is another.
...those who have fallen and those who will.
oledb4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oledb4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2011 at 10:18pm
It is a 4x2 btw
oledb4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oledb4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2011 at 9:54pm
I'm most likely going to be buying a new car and obviously need one able to launch my 86 nautique 2001...does anyone have any experience or know someone with experience with a 3.0 Ford Ranger Edge launching a boat? I believe the weight will be fine for towing, it has a tow capacity of just under 4k, I'm just worried about gettin the boat out of the water considering the extra weight for gas, water, and possible upgrades (tower, etc)....any advice helps. Thanks guys.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 456
  Share Topic