NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Torque & HP Open Discussion

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 5678>
Author
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2009 at 11:07pm
Originally posted by kapla kapla wrote:

ALan

what info you need to desktop dyno my upcoming engine setup?

sebastian

Get me your specs from the cam card, I have the head data and can give a pretty good guess at the CR and everything else.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2009 at 1:31am
Alan, I think Kapla's setup will end up very much like graph C on page 1 of this thread.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2009 at 10:13am
Originally posted by Luchog Luchog wrote:

Alan, I think Kapla's setup will end up very much like graph C on page 1 of this thread.

Very close but he's running different cam and rocker ratio. Compression ration is a guess too so I'll start with stock CR and refigure based on the smaller CC's of the gt40p heads.

Might be a few days as the PC this program was on lost a hard drive last week and I haven't loaded it back up yet.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2009 at 1:20pm
Alan, Seb is getting the same cam that Im running. The only real differences between our set ups should be the intake (Performer vs. Stealth), the exhaust and the RR's. Im not sure the program even takes the intake or RR's into account, so I would imagine he'd be right around the 311hp @ 5000rpm mark that you sent me (stock exhaust), right?
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2009 at 3:09pm
Tim what do you mean by RR?
cam specs are lift 490int/exh duration @ .50 218 int 222 exh.
Dish piston .30 over bore....
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2009 at 3:38pm
RR = roller rockers.

Like I said, thats the same cam I have. I forgot that youre rebuilding the bottom end- you'll need to tell Alan what the volume of the dish is so he can calculate the compression ratio. I doubt its far from stock though so Im sticking with my 300-310hp estimate!
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2009 at 5:10pm
this is the info on the pistons...
now that i see them they are for 1977-89 351w engines...should this worry me?

piston measures
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2009 at 5:12pm
but the rebuilt kit is within my year range....
damn....Im now concern...
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2009 at 5:19pm
60 hp UMMM almost 25% gain over the stock not bad at all....
This equals more ballast Ill be able to handle equals more wake size equals massive air equals reduced knee and engine life
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2009 at 6:00pm
Sebastian, I can't find specs on those pistons and don't have time to call but I'm going to "assume" they are stock replacements. CR should be around 8.4:1 with the old heads, you'll gain quite a bit with the new heads.

I concure with TB as to the guestimate on HP as it's similar to his less intake and RR and some minor exhaust enhancements!!!!

Tim, correct...no way to calculate benefits from RR unless the ratio changes and then it's just math on the calculator and change the cam specs in teh program. Also there is no difference to the program between the performer and the stealth as the are both considered standard flow dual plane intakes. I think you might see a difference on a dyno but not on the desktop. Same applies to RR, difference on the dyno maybe but no way to measure ity in the software.

I'll still run it when I get back up.

AA
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2009 at 6:13pm
alan they are stock replacement....
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2009 at 7:10pm
Well I finally got to drop the 81 in the river today for a test drive. All I can say is WOW!!!!!

I only spent about 15 minutes on the water so I didn't get to do any tuning, pretty much just wanted to make sure I didn't have any issues. Also forgot to bring my laptop(it's not something I'm used to packing for boating)so no data logging.

Anyway, first impressions are with the 540 prop on this thing it is a rocket out of the hole. A full throttle blast from a 30mph cruise pegs the speedo past 50 in a blink of an eye, it literally throws your head back and the tach screams up to about 5800. Hard to tell exactly where the rpms are as these tachs jump around a bit but it is screaming.

I only made a couple of full throttle blasts and didn't let it wind up because of the rpms, I'll have to put my old OJ back on as that prop has always dropped me about 400. As it stands right now the boat ran 56.1 on the gps. Hopefully I'll be able to turn the 13x13 OJ around 54-5500 and we'll see what we get. I took a vacuum gauge with me and the vacuum doesn't drop until way up over 4000rpm. Vacuum is an indicator of load so I'm thinking the motor has enough left at the top to turn the 13x13 where I want it to.

Honestly though guys, this boat was a good runner last year but right now with the changes it has a race car feel, throttle response is outrageous. Can't wait to dial it in.
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2009 at 7:28pm
I sure hope somebody is gonna make those "Fastest Boat at Green Lake 2009" plaques.........

Alan, that sounds great!!
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2009 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by reidp reidp wrote:

I sure hope somebody is gonna make those "Fastest Boat at Green Lake 2009" plaques.........

Alan, that sounds great!!

Reid, I'm shooting for 57.2!!!

You guys getting wet at the race today or have you given up by now?
p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2009 at 1:33am
Alan that sounds great . It is obvious you have done your homework . I hope she pulls to atleast 57.3. Whats next ?
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2009 at 1:44am
Alan, I was at the track all day yesterday til midnight, but didn't go back today. What a let down THAT finish was.

Just 57.2? I just ordered 1000 extra lbs of transom ski locker ballast for the 409 to REALLY get that nose up. Then I'm turning the keys over to Keith and he'd better hope it's not a drag race.   
ReidP
1973 Mustang

The Godfather View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Godfather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2009 at 2:09am
Hey, what about a rookie of the year award..

I would hate to beat somebody at GL09.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2009 at 8:27pm
Wow, nice work Alan!
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2009 at 9:43pm
Glad to hear the changes have you smiling Alan, we never had any doubt she would be a flyer. About time someone put a good running engine in that generation hull;-). It will be cool to see some air fuel ratio data. Your all ready into test and tune season and I have nothing attached to my engine block but the crank, main bearings, and caps...
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2009 at 11:47pm
I can't wait to see & hear these great boats at Green lake. Maybe there is a 50+mph ride possible with the right donation?
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2009 at 12:52pm
Interesting tuning trip yesterday, first thing I learned is it's almost impossible to use a laptop computer in the bright sunlight!!! Impossible to see the screen so I just made some passes and logged data ti view later.

I did get the idle mixture perfect and the boat is running very good but the logs show it is very rich at 4000 rpm and higher, richer is better than a lean condition but it may be holding the engine back so I'm going to add a secondary metering block so I can change the jetting. You can really see when the power valve is opening as the engine goes from 13:1 to 10.6:1, I'm not feeling a bog but it goes rich and stays rich, I "may" drop the PV so it comes in later

Now for prop info I did put on my OJ 13x13 and here's what I found. I was hoping the motor would slow down to 5400 and it did drop to 5300 but I lost 1 MPH. (I'm not embarrassed to have the boat running 55mph with the stock prop though but I was hoping to go the other way) The holeshot is ofcourse not as violent as the 540 either BUT the oj is a better choice for general use as the bow lift at throttle up is much less than the 540 and the boat has a more comfortable feel to it. I think I'm going to send the 540 out and have as much cup as they can added to it. The 540 makes the boat racey and the throttle response with it is incredible but again the oj might make a smoother skiing prop where as the 540 would definately be a better choice for boarding as the nose runs high at those speeds.

I may eventually add another data logging module to the setup so I can record engine vacuum and rpm. Sort of tricky right now driving with a laptop, vacuum gauge and a stop watch in my hands.
Brktracer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brktracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2009 at 4:30pm
Alan,

Pick up an LMA-3 for your LM-1. LMA-3 has the MAP built in. All you will need to do is connect a hose to manifold vacuum. It also has an accelerometer included so it can measure g force as well. It uses power from the LM-1 and the only wiring connections are the communication cable to the LM-1 and a tach signal wire. Calibrate the accelerometer and configure the channels and you're ready to run!

I have one in the race car and it's really neat! I'll try to post a log later.

It has 5 channels total so you can log things like voltage, fuel pressure, oil pressure, etc. Also, it has a 5V output and ground connections for each channel to avoid ground differentials.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2009 at 6:13pm
Originally posted by Brktracer Brktracer wrote:

Alan,

Pick up an LMA-3 for your LM-1. LMA-3 has the MAP built in. All you will need to do is connect a hose to manifold vacuum. It also has an accelerometer included so it can measure g force as well. It uses power from the LM-1 and the only wiring connections are the communication cable to the LM-1 and a tach signal wire. Calibrate the accelerometer and configure the channels and you're ready to run!

I have one in the race car and it's really neat! I'll try to post a log later.

It has 5 channels total so you can log things like voltage, fuel pressure, oil pressure, etc. Also, it has a 5V output and ground connections for each channel to avoid ground differentials.

That's the unit I thinking of adding, although I don't have an LM-1, I went with the LC-1 and a DB gauge thinking I would use the laptop for logging. Turns out the laptop is a PITA and the small handheld would have been easier to use and download. The Lm-3 will still hook right up to my setup and is in the future somewhere. The LM-3 is pretty cool,I was wondering how many g's you could pull in a powerturn!!!

Wait til Jbear reads this crap eh?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2009 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

He's gonna need another Beam and Coke!

Adding cup to that 540 should be the hot ticket, Alan. Getting your WOT RPM's down a few hundred should have you picking up a bit of speed. On the Acme I had cup added to I didnt notice a penalty on the holeshot either- double bonus.
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2009 at 8:55pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

On the Acme I had cup added to I didnt notice a penalty on the holeshot either- double bonus.

Because Cup is supposed to start affecting performance over 2000rpms.

So what you gain with a smaller/cupped prop is the holeshot of the lower pitch prop and the top end of a higher pitch prop.
Brktracer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brktracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2009 at 12:25am
I forgot to bring my files home but I had a couple here. This first one is a simple example of what the wrong booster in a carb can do to the AFR. In this one I was trying a dominator on my SBC and the booster signal is way too strong. Notice how the afr gets slammed when the booster starts dumping fuel. This isn't typical of a 4150/4160 carb. Three circuit carbs are another ball of yarn!

Orange is g force, black is rpm, and pink is afr. This car has a huge stall converter! This trend is sitting still in low gear bringing the rpm up against the converter.

Here's another example where the accelerator is pushed up and down three times.

I'll try to get a log of a full run up in a day or so. The second trend is light cruise. Notice g remains 0 on the first and is somewhat proportional to rpm on the second.

Enjoy! You'll be buying the LMA-3 in no time!

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2009 at 1:52am
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Are you guys kidding.....I know exactly what you're talking about....

HW..pass me another Beam huh?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
MUCQB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MUCQB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2009 at 2:11am
I have a '75 Southwind (Chevy 350 w/1:1 Velvet Drive both rebuilt turning 275 HP). I am currently running a 13RH12 OJ 3 blade prop and am turning 5200 RPM @ WOT. The top speed is only 35 MPH and it is somewhat sluggish out of the hole. The hull is clean and drive is working properly. Boat weighs 3200 lbs. with driver. What can I do to get a better hole shot. Top speed around 40 would be nice. Any suggestions? Thanks
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2009 at 10:38am
Mucqb - Have you checked your foam & stringers for water saturation? Maybe the boat is just too heavy.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2009 at 1:47pm
Also those Chevies are not that powerful out of the hole as the Fords. Top wot seems kind of ok for that boat with that prop. Mine did 38mph with the old Michigan 13x12 at 4800rpms.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 5678>
  Share Topic