NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

primer

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 5678>
Author
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2008 at 4:35pm
Hi Pete!

I haven't heard from you for a while, which means I'm doing ok with the boat so far! Really, it's the time consuming part of the project.It's ok...I'm enjoying the therapy

I know I said it before, but I have a hard time wearing gloves. I like to feel the work area that I'm sanding and gloves screw that up. But, being that I have no fingerprints and the splits hurt badly, I will wear them for a while.
skinaut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skinaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2008 at 11:31pm
Originally posted by Mojo Mojo wrote:

Blink,
Thank you for doing what you do to keep all of us safe. Sorry to hear you'll be gone for the holidays. But what the hell, you'll still have fingerprints

Moj'

LOL! He's got you all fooled, he wanted to go. He is partying Guam style, plus when he gets back he will have a shiney yukytan yellow CC and a girl with smooth hands!
MY HERO.....lov ya dude
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2008 at 3:09pm
One dogbox!

In progress

Stripped and wetsanded! YAY!
Look Pete and Tim, it's yuckytan yellow....

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2008 at 3:14pm
I was going to say that its about time we saw some pictures... looking good! Love that yellow, by the way.
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2008 at 3:18pm
Thanks, Tim. A few repair areas are in order for the dogbox, but nothing too major. I am proof that anyone can do almost anything if they have the desire and willingness to learn.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2008 at 3:25pm
Michelle,
Looking good!! Are you proceeding with having the gel color matched?

After that, we'll need to get you set up and going with a buffer and compound!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2008 at 3:27pm
That looks good. Keep the pictures coming. I've got to learn how to do this wet sanding. My Mustang needs it and I've got this thin film of varnish that needs removing.
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2008 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Are you proceeding with having the gel color matched?

After that, we'll need to get you set up and going with a buffer and compound!!

Yes. I am having the color matched. But I do believe an entire regel is in order. There are alot of areas - smaller but many - that need repaired on the hull and I think it would be better to regel the entire boat.

So, once it's all wetsanded and all of the repairs are made, what prep is required before I regel?

I'll post a few pictures along the way.
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2008 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

I've got to learn how to do this wet sanding.

Thanks, Bruce. I really enjoy the wet sanding. You can "see and feel" the progress as you are sanding away.

I thought I would add to watch your fingertips...won't hurt till later.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2008 at 4:10pm
you guy's need a Hutchins "wet" DA, velcro pad, a little soap and water and your done in half the time.
"the things you own will start to own you"
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2008 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

you guy's .

Boy, I'm glad I don't fall in that category because I sure am having fun with my sanding block and bucket of plain ol' water.

Sorry Eric, couldn't help myself.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2008 at 4:28pm
Michelle, obviously Im an advocate of wetsanding- but if you "really enjoy" it, youre nuts!

Eric, how flexible is the DA backing pad? Im not familiar with them, but a few who had considered going that route here had reservations about using it on the complex curves of the hull... especially in the hands of a beginner. Im all for efficiency, but Ive gotten great results doing it by hand.
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2008 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Michelle, obviously Im an advocate of wetsanding- but if you "really enjoy" it, youre nuts!

Tim, I "know" there's something wrong with me. I do like it though!

Eric, Why soap?

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2008 at 5:30pm
Tim, Hollywood's going to be all over that one...
the pad is about 3/8 thick, when wet sanding and buffing on anything you always stay away from the corners, it really is pretty efficient.and is flexible
my frickin mind goes to fast to wetsand by hand and i always look for the easist way out.
the soap keeps the paper lubed and keeps it from clogging. you do have to keep the surface clean always or you will scratch if dirt gets in the paper
Sorry San, Guy's and Gals....
it does take some practice and you cant have an idle mind when wet sanding.
"the things you own will start to own you"
skinaut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skinaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2008 at 6:54pm
Wow, that looks great. Much better than the red and white job that was there.
I think I would go with the d/a on the long relitivly flat sides just to speed it along. save the hand work for details and edges.
I do like that color
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2008 at 6:59pm
Thanks, Lee.
I'll put myself up as a target along with Tim when I say I work much better with my hands. It's easier for me to work with the contours.
Unless, I have a job where I can use my porter cable cordless tools.
the grinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the grinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2009 at 1:15am
No posts lately. I was wondering how the project is comming along? After reading this thread, you guys have taken me back to my 3M days and the dreaded task of respirator fit testing. I must say there are quite a few myths out there that may need some splainin.

The KISS method will be used here.
Correct that the harmful chemical in paints is the isocynates. The primary resulting diagnosis for over exposure to isocynates is "isocynate poisoning". This can cause other resulting diagnosis' and even death, however, either or any are usually a result of constant unprotected exposure. Some simple and early simptoms include....headaches, shortness of breath, vomiting, and other similar to that of a hangover. Usually the first stage of poisoning is an effect that will make painters "allergic" to the inhalation of isocyanate fumes in the air (outside air surrounding a body shop). For a technician in this field, it simply means it's time for him to find a new profession. Most can not continue to work in the field once poisoned.

To protect against isocyanate poisining, all that is needed is NIOSH approved respirator.
Most named brand charcoal filter respirators are NIOSH approved and this will meet OSHA's req. for any body shop in the country. The problem, is that isocyanates are ingested by the moisture points of the body (mouth, nose, eyes) and most respirators don't cover the eyes. All that would be needed for complete protection is disposable tight fitting goggles paired with an approved respirator.

Fresh air systems, while usually combining the eye protection, get a little more complicated when it comes to NIOSH approval. You must have "Grade D breathable air" supplying the respirator for NIOSH approval and that Grade D air must have a CO monitor/alarm integrated into the supply source. I've seen painters that just use a splitter ("Y" fitting)on one airline in the paint booth, with one side going to paint gun and other going to the respirator. This method is not NIOSH approved and if you have an old air compressor could possibly kill you from Carbon Monoxide poisoning.

If you are a DIY guy and not in the painting business for a profession, I would stick to a regular NIOSH approved respirator and some disposable goggles. A CO monitor/alarm will cost you $1200 plus. There are some full face respirators which have replaceable charcoal filters and cost around $75 plus. These do offer better visibility than goggles and also have tearoffs available to keep the lens clean. If you spend money on any respirator, save the longevity of the filters by keeping it in an airtight container when you aren't wearing it. If you keep track of the hours of use when painting, replace the filters after about 150hrs. of exposure. If you are using it for a combination of sanding and grinding with lots of particulates in the air, change every 100hrs. This will keep you safe, however, you can buy an air monitor and send it off for analysis that will give you an exact change schedule for your filters.
It is a science, and one that affects your health, however, don't get consumed by it, just look for the NIOSH approval and you'll be fine. Oh, one more thing, you will get leaks in a tight, face fitting respirator of any type if you have facial hair.
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2009 at 6:05pm
Kirk,

It sounds like you have experience in this department. Thank you for all of the information.

I'm working a little backwards now, as I'm planning to get away from the cold weather at the end of the month and I didn't want gel sitting in a cold garage. When I return, I want to attack the gel coat and get it done.

The trailer should be blasted and primed and ready to paint in a few days. Not a cc trailer, but it seems to work just fine.

Taking care of shining up the little boat things and doing a few "house" jobs.

Eighteen more days!!!!

Chelle'

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2009 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by sanity sanity wrote:

The trailer should be blasted and primed and ready to paint in a few days. Not a cc trailer, but it seems to work just fine.

Michelle, just FYI- the trailer that your 'Stang is sitting on in all the pictures is a Correct Craft trailer. It looks like its from the mid-late 70's, but does appear to be the correct size (#2).
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2009 at 6:59pm
Is it really, Tim? The guy we bought it off of said it was made by a construction company? I'm obviously still learning....

Chelle'
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2009 at 7:40pm
Sure looks like it Michelle. If its not a CC, its one hell of a reproduction. CC trailers are pretty distinctive. Got any better pics than this?

sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2009 at 7:48pm
here are two pics

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2009 at 7:54pm
It has a funky looking bow stop mechanism that was added somewhere along the line, but it sure looks like a #2 CC trailer to me. Hows the tongue weight? I bet its pretty light- it looks like the boat sits pretty far back.
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2009 at 7:58pm
I wonder if the construction company just made what they considered repairs? It's very light and yes, it does sit pretty far back.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2009 at 8:11pm
That could very well be the case. If that bow stop is welded (nonadjustable) then thats probably something you'll want to address before repainting. The tongue should have 10% (~200lbs) with the boat on it. It would be pretty easy to fab up an old style adjustable bow stop to replace it!

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2009 at 8:29pm
Tear that s79t of a bow stop off the front and paint it, then add the proper hardware back on.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2009 at 8:47pm
Originally posted by sanity sanity wrote:

The guy we bought it off of said it was made by a construction company?
Chelle'

CC trailers do have that look! Yes, the Billy Bob trailer and screen door construction company!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2009 at 11:42am
If all else fails, I'll run straps from the back of the blazer. Billy Bob would be proud.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2009 at 11:57am
That little stubby bow stop of Tim's is easy to make and looks so much better than the cajun bumpers that were an upgrade.
the grinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the grinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2009 at 2:32am
Since you guys are on the subject of CC trailers, does anyone have the old CC decals like on the trailer tongue above?

By the way, would it be benefical to reproduce these trailers? I can repro. the CC trailer my BFN is on to almost exact, but of course, a little better. Without putting the pencil to it, I'd say I could do it for around $1,500 or maybe less minus paint, bunks, tires/wheels, wiring, or whatever a DIYer could handle himself.
It takes a big hole to bury an elephant.

Kirk Miller   [URL=http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/register.asp?FID=7]KIRKS79/URL]
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 5678>
  Share Topic