Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

primer

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 678
Author
the grinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the grinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2009 at 2:55am
Not to hijack here, but anyone have an interest in keeping their boat from beating against a dock? I'm still waiting on patent finalization, but now geared up for production.

It takes a big hole to bury an elephant.

Kirk Miller   [URL=http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/register.asp?FID=7]KIRKS79/URL]
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2009 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by the grinch the grinch wrote:

Since you guys are on the subject of CC trailers, does anyone have the old CC decals like on the trailer tongue above?

By the way, would it be benefical to reproduce these trailers? I can repro. the CC trailer my BFN is on to almost exact, but of course, a little better. Without putting the pencil to it, I'd say I could do it for around $1,500 or maybe less minus paint, bunks, tires/wheels, wiring, or whatever a DIYer could handle himself.

Dave Hendricks had several of the silver/black trailer stickers at the reunions this year- they were the same ones used in the 80's. The one on my '71 above is a little different and NLA. Might want to try calling CC, SECC, etc.

I think reproducing some of the CC trailers is a great idea- there has to be some demand for that. I know that I would spend the money for an original trailer if I had a CC without one... they just dont look quite right sitting on anything else. There was a guy reproducing a similar style on here a while ago- not sure if he ever sold any. There were several things that didnt look quite right about his trailers, though- and they werent cheap either.
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2009 at 12:54pm
The trailer is blasted, primered and ready for pickup. After Blink makes the changes to the trailer I will be ready to paint.What kind of paint do you all recommend?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2009 at 1:34pm
Michelle,
The easiest to use and spray would be standard Rustoleum primer and enamel plus it's easy to get at your local hardware store. A step above would be to go with one of the polyurethanes. The simplest are the single component polys which are really poly modified alkyd enamels. Most likely you would need to go to a industrial supply house. Off hand, I would avoid automotive finishes.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2009 at 3:55pm
bow stop options anyone? Being that the boat is upside down in the garage and not on the trailer, i am not quite sure where placement would be for a new one. Anyone here with an older mustang on a mid 70's cc trailer? I'm thinking I might be asking a stupid question, and leaving myself open to ridicule...but, that's ok - you should all be use to me now. Chelle'
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2009 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by sanity sanity wrote:

bow stop options anyone? Being that the boat is upside down in the garage and not on the trailer, i am not quite sure where placement would be for a new one. Anyone here with an older mustang on a mid 70's cc trailer? I'm thinking I might be asking a stupid question, and leaving myself open to ridicule...but, that's ok - you should all be use to me now. Chelle'

Michelle, thats not a stupid question at all! If it were me, Id be going back to one of the simple designs that CC used for bow stops. The 60's/early 70's one like my Skier would be the easiest. Fabbing up the hoop with 2 crash pads that they used in the late 70's would be another good option, and probably one that makes it easier to load. Neither style is secured to the trailer (theyre clamped on and adjustable), so having them made up and painted seperately would make the most sense. Dial in the placement with the boat in place to get the right amount of tongue weight.

Id cut that monstrosity thats on there now right off! By the way, there is almost nothing that differentiates the late 60's #2 trailers from the #2's made in the late 70's. The design is nearly identical so the dimensions are the same and many parts interchange.
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2009 at 4:29pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Id cut that monstrosity thats on there now right off!

Thanks, Tim. Yes, it's coming off. I'm painting the trailer this weekend.
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2009 at 11:32am
The monstrosity is off. Blink welded supports for diamond plating and will run it up and over the fenders. The existing fenders are rusting away. I have to take the tires off and clean them up, as they have been primered.The plan was to paint this past weekend, but I was a bit ahead of myself because the welding needed to be completed first. A new bow stop will be made and I will be painting this coming weekend!

Brktracer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brktracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2009 at 2:25pm
Don't have time to read all the responses now...

I painted my boat with PPG Concept (acrylic urethane). I primered with PPG Epoxy primer/sealer first and did wet on wet application. I used urethane primer for all the spots I had to fix and the entire top of the hull was primered because there were a lot of spots to fix!

The lettering is base/clear mainly because it has metal flake.

I didn't do the clear/paint mixture. I really don't see a need to with urethane.

Color sanding is well worth the effort!

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2009 at 12:37am
now the trick with urethanes is on the last coat you go 50/50 mixed with a good clear, the clear has UV protectors in it...IMO f-n bullet proof finish and will last as long as Gel, and easily repairable down the road.
"the things you own will start to own you"
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2009 at 12:43am
I used Imron on mine and am happy with how it turned out

I also use one of these,
http://www.autobodystore.com/SprayBooth.shtml
the down sides are that the hose seems to always in the way and when real hot out,the air in the mask is warmer yet
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2009 at 1:09am
Gary, I may be wrong, but I think Imron is a brand name and its actually Acrylic Urethane..I'll ask tommorow,

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the grinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2009 at 1:59am
Yep, Imron is by Dupont, however, it is an urethane enamel and not an acrylic urethane. Keep in mind that there are both BC/CC Imron and single stage Imron. The single stage products are plenty durable enough for most any boat or trailer application. Gary is on it........I wouldn't use anything less myself. I would think that if you had alot of rust on a trailer that sandblasting may be necessary and if I was going to pay for that, I would do the cost analysis of epoxy primer and paint vs. powdercoating. Good powdercoaters sandblast everything for good adhesion anyway and they are going to include that in the price. I have had race car chasis powdercoated for $400 and if I could have my boat trailer done for that, I'd do it.

Kirk Miller   [URL=http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/register.asp?FID=7]KIRKS79/URL]
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2009 at 10:13am
the one who stole Christmas, we just switched from Akzo/Noble to Dupont so i wasnt quite sure, i knew it was a brand name and was labeled and thought differently as a paint by the consumer.
man can a guy work the paint companies, Akzo/Noble pusrchased our Paint booth and mix room new to use thier paint with a 5 year signing, Our Rep lost his job and went to Dupont...and with him came a check to switch....funny how things work

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the grinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2009 at 3:17am
Work the paint companies? Indeed! I sell to body shops all day long and the big one around here was the recent switch at the auto auction when the rep left Akzo and went to SW. Somehow the bs mgr. at the auction ended up with a new swimming pool in his backyard. All the paint companies have budgets for this kind of stuff and their contracts are usually based on previous years shop volume of "liquid" sales. I was in on the big Akzo deal in Charlotte where a consolidated bs group received $2million up front to sign a 3yr. deal. Of course you're talking about total of 5 shops with a combined $1million a month in billed sales. That's about $300,000 a month in paint(liquid) sales.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2009 at 10:14am
nice...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 678
  Share Topic