Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help!! Trying to remove Pylon on ’83

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
lancef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lancef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help!! Trying to remove Pylon on ’83
    Posted: April-02-2008 at 2:09am
I am doing my first stringer/floor job ever. My first major snagg is that I can not get the pylon out. I have searched this forum along with ccfan and the2001.com and cant find anything pertaining to that year nautique (I realize they are probably the same for other years).

Questions:
1. Am I correct?.....There is a brass looking tube coming out of the hull about 3" tall. There is a shaft that goes into this tube and has a bolt going thru the two to keep them together (I have removed the bolt.) Mounted on the top of that shaft is the aluminum pylon and there looks to be a roll pin that locks the shaft into pylon.

2. If this is correct, is there a secret to seperating the two? (I have taken out the 4 bolts attached to the engine cradle, mine had bolts, I think others have 2 U-bolts).

What I have tried...
1. soaking 2 days now with PB Blaster.
2. Tried twisting with Pipe wrench with 4 foot extension for torque.
3. Sledge hammer from every side to try to jar loose.
4. Pry bar using blocks of wood on the hull (I ended up bending the pry bar).
5. lifted boat with chain hoist on pylon (seperated floor from sides of boat more!)

The only thing I havent done, not for lack of trying, is removing the roll pin thing in the pylon about 7" off the hull. I have also managed to loosen the fiberglass at the base of the brass pole that goes into the hull (I will worry about fixing this later!)

next step....Sawzaw?????? If I do sawzaw it out, would i then be able to get this shaft out somehow?? Please Help!!

Thank you, and sorry for the long 1st post,
Lance
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2008 at 12:08pm
Two big guys twisting with a big pipe wrench eventually worked for me, but those suckers can pretty much seem like immoveable objects.
The roll pin won't help you that pin in the pylon should stay there, it is the socket on the bottom to the steel pin junction that should move. I would say if you get the socket out you would be able to put it in a vise and remove the pylon on a bench, heat would also be able to be applied at that point. I also made a pocket with some modeling clay to allow it to puddle up the pb blaster for soaking. If you ever get it out use some anti seize on the install...
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2008 at 12:10pm
Also try to work with wrench below the bend so you get a clean application of force... you will put teeth marks in the pylon.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
lancef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lancef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2008 at 4:03pm
Thanks for the advice. I already have put teeth marks on the bottom of the pole trying to twist it there.

Do you know how the pole piece coming out of the hull is mounted in the hull? I assume there might be some plate or something on the bottom that is fiberglassed in?

The reason I ask it that I actually twisted it slightly when torquing with the pipe wrench. The fiberglass broke slightly around it so I am kind of scared to twist on it anymore with a pipe wrench for fear I will pull the entire thing out of the hull.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2008 at 4:19pm
I havent pulled it out but it does appear there is a plate there, if it comes out (likely if its already loose) your going to need to remove the engine and transmission and then the cradle then pull the pylon out the bottom of the cradle to get the pylon, pin socket base and all to a big bench vise to remove. Since your doing the floors, and stringers anyway i would say get to it, pull everything cut out the plate and have at it. Better to cut out the plate carefully than to tear it out messily.

I have my 83 down to the stringers at this point myself waiting for the material to come in to replace them.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
lancef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lancef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2008 at 6:38pm
Yea, I have the engine out and the front floor out (what was left of it). I have the cradle loose but it wont come out without getting the pole out (because the of the bend in the pole.) I guess my biggest problem with cutting it out is I dont know how big it is! I guess I could drill little holes to try to find the edges?? It also looks like it might be in about the same location as the skegs coming out the bottom so I didnt know if it might attach to them somehow???

I saw in another topic that has all the pictures where you are redoing yours and going as far as CAD drawings for it. I was going to talk to you all about that and what you were using etc. after I caught up to where you two (you and Big pappa) were.

Thanks for the replies!
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2008 at 6:45pm
have you tried spreading the craddle under the pylon some? also are there screws going through a plate at the base of the pylon on top of the deck? not at the hull but the decking?
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2008 at 6:47pm
The skegs dont attach to anything and are farther forward under the battery box and cooler area, they do have screws that just barely penetrate into the foamed area there.
I would (with a mask, gloves, and shop vac running) take a grinder to fiberglass next to the socket, work my way down to the plate then work my way out till I found the ends of the plate. Its a PIA but if its loose you got to rebed the thing anyway and all that stuff is going to need to be ground out.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
lancef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lancef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2008 at 12:24am
Got it out tonight!! I ended up grinding and chiseling away the epoxy around the bottom plate. The base is only about 2" x 3" or so?? You can see in the pics below that I did not have to grind away that much!

Now the next fun part tomorow is trying to get the brass piece off as I still cant get the pylon out of the cradle! Luckily, I do have at work a large vise mounted to a steel table mounted to a 52 ton machine, oh, and a 3' pipe wrench with about a 8' pole for leverage. Something has to give!!

Thanks for the help!
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2008 at 12:53am
I soaked and soaked with solvent. Then used about a six foot pry bar through the ring on top of the pylon. I also pried the cradle apart a bit after removing the four bolts.

Back and forth and eventually it broke loose.
I was about 225 lbs at the time, and took everthing I had on the end of that six foot pry bar. Over years, the rust is darned near a weld. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic