NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Winter Activities

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
502 Python View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 502 Python Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winter Activities
    Posted: November-18-2004 at 12:56am
For those of you like me who have to put the Nautique away for the winter, what are your winter hobbies that get you through until the next ski season?
Rick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2004 at 3:27am
Waterskiing... The bigest problem we have here is it gets dark early.. Come to San Diego and we can get out any Thursday or Friday.
Bill336 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill336 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2004 at 2:08pm
Snow skiing, restoring the boat, and working on the house trying to finish all of the projects that get neglected all summer.

I also try to save some money and restock the summer war chest (or pay last summer's credit cards). The fuel bill last summer was around $2500 ... I can't wait to fill the 20 gal tank on the CC.
Darrel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2004 at 3:32pm
Glamis Sand Dunes, Sand rails, quads, adult beverages.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 502 Python Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2004 at 1:36am
We do some snowmobiling and any outdoor activities to keep the kids from killing each other. I just bought a 1968 43' Chris Craft wood boat that I hope to get restored (or at least ready for the water)by summer.It's a big project but I need to keep busy in the winter and I am looking forward to it.Probably going in a little naive, but what the heck,it's only a boat that needs a "little" work , right??? At least that's what I told my wife.
captan1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captan1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2004 at 6:19pm
I play poker, I'm betting my star.
Bill336 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill336 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2004 at 6:50pm
If I came home and said that I bought a 68 43' wood Chris Craft that "needs a little work", I'd be single again.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 502 Python Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2004 at 8:35pm
That's funny, that's exactly what happened to the previous owner. That's how I came into such a good deal.
nautiquesonly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiquesonly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2004 at 9:42pm
Waterskiing come on down if you are not afraid to ski with gator's. On the water 5 days a week 12 month's a year.    

Nautiquesonly
Living Life 1 bouy at a time behind my Nautique in Florida.
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2004 at 1:51am
Other than some deer hunting and duck hunting, I'm doing a make over of my '84 SN.
1. new upholstery
2. shine up the hull (including wet sanding if needed)
3. redo the graphics

It's been raining so much I haven't even started to get started.

jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2004 at 2:24am
I also need to re-wire the dash. It's not a pretty sight.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 502 Python Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2004 at 9:00pm
Yeah, working on the boats is a winter habit whether they need it or not.I have been skiing in FL and I must admit, the gator thing was always on my mind.I did try to act cool like it didn't bother me but I think those FL boys knew I was a chickensh*t.
BigAir View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigAir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2004 at 3:43pm
I just sit around praying for summer to come back. Eventually God hears me every year.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2005 at 11:15am
For years I have contemplated building a boat. I may get started this winter. It will be a long (many years, I am guessing) process as time and money are limited. I want to build a 40s-50s vintage california crackerbox racer out of plywood. Glen-L plans, If you have ever heard of that outfit. Should be fun.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2005 at 12:17pm
Hey 75...:

I built a Crackerbox out of plywood...it was a blast. One small clarification: It was 1/10 scale or so and has a line trimmer 2-stroke (30cc) engine and two channel radio. The thing hits about 30mph. Made it from scratch using 1/32 to 1/8 mahogany plywood and spruce stringers. Fiberglass the bottom for impact resistance and epoxy coated the entire boat. Then sprayed about 5 coats of primer, block sanding between each coat and finished with automotive enamel. My little project took me several months, so good luck on the real thing! Let us know how it progresses and furnish pictures.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2005 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

For years I have contemplated building a boat. I may get started this winter. It will be a long (many years, I am guessing) process as time and money are limited. I want to build a 40s-50s vintage california crackerbox racer out of plywood. Glen-L plans, If you have ever heard of that outfit. Should be fun.

75Tique - I have a friend who has been racing here in the west for over 40 years. He's former president of the Pacific Power Boat Racing Association, and continues as a race official. He goes to nearly every cracker box race on the west coast. I'm sure we could hook you up with some of the top cracker box builders and racers should you decide to build it.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2005 at 1:43pm
I will usually wimp out of skiing/boarding December-February. The wife usually takes a ski in her dry suit once or twice per month.
We do go out in the boat at least once a week
for a meal on the river or just for a good cruise. Definitely use the boat to check out the annual lighted yacht parade, as well as the holiday decorations in the community.

We'll snow ski often in the Sierras, have family over for Thanksgiving and Christmas,
catch up on scrapbooks, do the taxes, and before you know it, spring again.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2005 at 1:57pm
Living in MA and being old and wimpy, the season is very short. Two years ago, we were exploring waterfront real estate in NC two days after Christmas. A guy was out on the lake skiing. Admittedly, it was chilly and he had a full suit on, but still, we bought the house the next day. Still live up north, but in a few more years....

Brian,

You would not believe how scarce crackerboxes are out here. None to be found. There is one that an antique boat shop in northern NY built several years ago that has been for sale for at least 6 years. Nice, but a surface drive (odd) and way over my budget (15000). I got wind of an old wreck of a hull that a guy tried to auction off at a show in NH. No takers so I called him. He ended up selling the hull to someone for $150, more along how I was thinking. He told me I didnt miss out on much, that it would probably be easier and cheaper starting from scratch rather than restoring his. But that's about it. People out east are more into Jersey speed skiffs, but I don't care for the lines of those at all. I'm suprised how little info is on the web about Crackerboxes, even from out your way. So off I go. I am guessing your friend is pretty hard core and if I told him I was looking to go the cheap route, (like an old recycled motor and tranny for 300 bucks kind of cheap) rather than a tricked out $10,000 engine, he would laugh at me, but I will keep the contact in mind. Thanks.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2005 at 3:38pm

My friend Bill is 74 years old and still races. He was a school teacher and principle. He builds his own boats, and races in a small class of hydroplane using Ford Pinto engines (top speed around 100 mph). He would completely understand building a boat on a budget. 15 years ago, when I was still young and brave, and before I got married, I was seriously looking into racing crackers with Bill's son John. Bill found 2 or 3 boats for sale at good prices.

The son John, who was a college fraternity brother of mine and one of the groomsmen in my wedding. He now races his father's class of hydro as well.

In addition, John is very active in creating films documenting the history of boat racing.   He's met lot's of the who's who in boat racing: Bill Little and the Miss Budweiser racing team, the family of Dan Arena, Bob Teague, and dozens of old and new drivers up and down the west coast in everything from offshore to drag boats. Best of all, he gets to ride in many of these boats. This year he rode passenger in at least 3 crackerbox races here on the west coast.

Point is, good guys, know lots of people, love boats, and I'm sure happy to share any knowledge or connections they have.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2005 at 4:27pm
Found this one out in CA.

http://www.hares.net/scott/boat/boat.htm

Don't know if he still has it or not, or what the price is/was. Doesn't really matter since its so far away. Plus, even though it will take me forever, I think it will be a kick to build, plus satisfying, plus a good father son project.

When I was a kid, a teenager in town made a boat similar to a crackerbox, only real difference was a small cockpit ahead of the engine. The first few years, the thing screamed, as he had straight pipes coming up off the engine. The old folks hated it. The kids loved it. Fairly small lake, took about 10 seconds to get from one end to the other. He finally put thru-transom exhaust on it. Looked real nice too, stained wood with white trim around the transom, along the gunnels. I have a feeling that would be my color scheme. Legend had it that it saw the bottom of the lake a few times. Hit a can and sunk, trim plates out of wack, sunk. It was that old boat that got me interested in wood speed boats (I must have been 10-12 at the time). Never did anything about it...till now...maybe....

Brian, just curious. Do you ever see old ones advertised out your way? Just wondering what the prices are like. Plus I'm not looking for a racing calibre boat, just recreation.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic