Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Boat names??!!??

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
82wake2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82wake2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boat names??!!??
    Posted: April-03-2008 at 3:43pm
Well I finally decided on a name "Lady of the Wake".. What do U guys call your boats. When you are not mad at it that is LOL!
Joe
1982 ski nautique 2001
"Lady of the Wake"
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2008 at 4:01pm
Just "Maasmasters Nautique"... Now where did I get that idea...

- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2008 at 4:23pm
Originally posted by 82wake2001 82wake2001 wrote:

Well I finally decided on a name "Lady of the Wake".. What do U guys call your boats. When you are not mad at it that is LOL!

That'll work...you must read some of the same stuff as I do.

I have to think on mine as well, but I don't think I'll put it on the boat. Mine has been the 'Buffalo BFN'...except that leaves the pumpkin thing out...and that nickname has found a home?!!? LOL

1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
82wake2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82wake2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2008 at 4:34pm
I like those names BFN and Kristof. Its amazing on how some of these names come about...
Joe
1982 ski nautique 2001
"Lady of the Wake"
shawnmc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shawnmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2008 at 4:46pm
my dad has a 83 nautique that is blue. It was our boat growin up and we named it "ole blue". Now I have a 86 25th anniversary edition that is silver and 2 shades of blue. Appropriately, we named it "ole blue 2"
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2008 at 4:55pm
bozilla is what my friends named mine, but I never actually had it on the boat, just doesn't look right on a ski nautique, ok on cruisers and run-abouts.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2008 at 5:08pm
'64 Amerian Skier/331 Stroker, just a play on words.Top speed when she was new maybe 35/40 mph on a good day ,no weight .
Her name now ....KNOT CORRECT
        Boat dr
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2008 at 5:15pm
The big one is Chicanery, the little one is Decoy, the little one is old enough to have a name on the boat I agree with Chris on the newer one no place for it and it wouldnt look right.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
nates78ski View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2008 at 6:19pm
No Name for a boat unless it's a cruiser or classic wooden runabout (as 79 said...)

It's a "Ski Nautique"...probably the best name for a boat, why mess with it? haha

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

<a href="http://photobucket.com/Nates78ski" rel="nofoll
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2008 at 7:49pm
Originally posted by nates78ski nates78ski wrote:

No Name for a boat unless it's a cruiser or classic wooden runabout (as 79 said...)
Nate

I have to agree and did mention it once before when the subject came up. It's alright to name a non wood smaller boat but it's my opinion that it just doesn't look right when it is on the transom (or other spot). Even worse, is when there is one of those goofy vinyl martini glass decals next to it!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
98SportNautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98SportNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2008 at 8:28pm
When I bought my 98 sport in November of 07 it came with a name on the transom in big vinyl letters it says (NAIL IT II)it looks kinda good.I was thinking of removing but they have been on there for ten years and I think the color under it will look a shade darker.Plus isnt it bad luck to remove a name off your boat?
98 Sport Nautique
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2008 at 10:18pm
Ski-lime
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2008 at 1:06am
Now that is a couple of nice looking boats...almost show winners had not hasbeen's beautiful been there. Uhhhhhh...forgot...hasbeen didn't win either.

They look pretty good in the water too. Especially with Patti and Blondie in them.

Gotta agree with Nate as to the names. I've owned 6 and never named a one of 'em.

Each to his own.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2008 at 1:30am
No name painted on the 64 'skier, but being an old 6 beater, we call her "Get Inline"..

The 62 Higgins was named "Mahogany Daze"..

We will probaby re-use it, besides, its bad luck to re-name a boat?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2008 at 1:34am
Better paint it on upside down...considering the time she has spent sitting like this.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Brktracer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brktracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2008 at 1:34am
Mine was named "Christine" when I bought it. The previous owner said it had come back from the dead numerous times. It lived up to its name again...

It had a brass name plate on the dash when I bought it. I left it off...Ski Nautique was good enough for me!

Matt
Brktracer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brktracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2008 at 1:40am
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

Better paint it on upside down...considering the time she has spent sitting like this.

john

Ouch!

That's going to be sweet when it's done though! I'm sure it will be worth the wait! Love the mahogany boats! One day...

Matt
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2008 at 1:47am
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

john

Ouch!!.... lol ...it has gotten a little farther since that pic... heres a pic of "stain-day" (a year and a half ago)..

unfortunately, its still upside down, but at least theres 7 coats of varnish on since this picture was taken.

( wow Matt, you and I were thinking the same...you beat me to it!)
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
winniskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote winniskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2008 at 10:25am
Shortly after I bought a 1983 Ski Nautique 2001, I discovered that the engine was shot. My wife started to call it "The Flowerpot". JoeinNY toke it off my hands, so it is now "Chicanery".

We have a history in our family of naming boats "[insert name of wife] Goes First" to recognize the rightful order of priorities. For some reason, the names have never made it onto a boat.

To me, unless you can come up with a truely unique play on words, there is no name that is not on a gazillion boats.
Jim
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2008 at 10:47am
Steve, that is looking nice. I never realized the plywood boats were stained. What a great shop. That must have helped you keep your sanity during a winter like this.

Naming a boat just for naming sake isn't a good idea. I'm not too original, I call the Mustang, "the Mustang".
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2008 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Steve, that is looking nice. I never realized the plywood boats were stained. What a great shop. That must have helped you keep your sanity during a winter like this..

Bruce, It is kinda rare that the plywood boats got stained,especially a Higgins. A lot of the companies were painting them to look like the "modern fiberglass" boats that were just coming out at the time.

As for the shop, I have to give credit to my wonderful wife. I just wanted a a shop to work in and was willing to re-use windows, doors, etc. She suggested to take a little longer to build,but do it with all new.. who was I to argue with that?!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2008 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by winniskier winniskier wrote:

To me, unless you can come up with a truely unique play on words, there is no name that is not on a gazillion boats.

Totally agree. I see lots of lame named boats in the harbor, maybe one day I'll bring a notepad and write down the lamest of the lame.

Our 88 came with some fancy "B" sticker on the padded keel of the transom. Merlin (PO) called it "the cool B" or something but it got peeled off. I kind of liked it because you could only see it while you were skiing.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2008 at 3:01pm
Bruce, Steve is correct that painted plywoods were more common. They were made is be a lower cost wood boat. Plus, with varnished and stained ply the boat builder needed to be very carefull - with only a thin face veneer, you have very little sanding room for even minor mistakes.

This is my X55 "Work N Wood" They are a lot of work and made of wood!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2008 at 3:11pm
Pete, your Dunphy is georgeous. It should be in the diaries.

I remember a lot of those plywood boats on my lake when I was a kid. The Correct Crafts tended to be varnished, and I think had the nicest lines. The Chris Crafts were either painted or partially painted and varnished. I never saw a Dunphy until yours.

63CCSN View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63CCSN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2008 at 6:37pm
I have a buddy with a late 80's Mastercraft that he keeps in the water on a small inland lake. We drive down there when our bay on Lake Erie is too rough to ski.

This smaller lake closes it's ramp on the weekends to keep lake traffic down for the folks with cottages on the lake.

We were each looking for a boat to put out there to avoid the ramp issue and give us a place to ski if the bay wasn't skiable. He found this boat cheap.

It runs good and pulls good, but it's interior and gel coat are in poor shape (and well... it's a Mastercraft). He calls it "the number 2". I asked why and he said, "Well it's my second boat, and it's a piece of crap."

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2008 at 10:54pm
Sorry Steve...I could not resist.

Adam: What "bay on Lake Erie"? We skiied Sandusky Bay for quite a few years.

Dittos Pete...what a beautiful boat.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2008 at 4:13am
The BFN is called spray. Only cause we were peeling off the letters that the dealer had put on it from the PO. We got down to spray and we stopped and it just seemed to fit the boat so we left it.
73skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2008 at 7:26am
Why is it most of the time it's a women’s name on a boat? So we can blame her for being a bitch and giving us problems!! Is it we love them and we can't live with out them? I would like to call mine pack it up. But I’m scared the marine patrol will pull me over for being high!!! But what I mean is the more people the better
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2008 at 10:28am
My dad fishes with a guy who's a plumber and he named his boat "Drain Surgeon" and the boat in the next slip is "Kizmiazz"
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2008 at 10:52am
Anyone remeber Gary Hart and how his bid for president was sank when he posed for a photo with his girlfriend sitting on his lap on a boat?

The name of the boat was Monkey Busness. I thought that was a great name.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic