NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Damper Plate compatibility

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Damper Plate compatibility
    Posted: April-03-2008 at 10:59pm
Here's the sad story:

PO said he tried to replace the damper plate on my boat when he had the transmission out last year, but the one he got didn't fit, so he put the original (19 years old) back in.

I have been hearing how important it is to replace this part so I ordered a new one from SkiDIM. I called them & specifically asked if this was going to fit my boat & they said yes, this comes directly from PCM.

Well, got the part today & it's the same issue as PO had! The original part is samller & triangle shaped. The replacement is a full circle & same diameter as the teeth on the flywheel - won't clear the bellhousing.

I'll call both PCM tomorrow & Midwest CC tomorrow to see what gives.

So close yet so far away.

Guess I should have seen this coming!

“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2008 at 11:28pm

Give them the model and make of the trans and not the boat!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2008 at 11:35pm
Yep that's the one I need. Ski Dim apparently doesn't sell this one & must not even know it exists.

Every project's gotta have glitch. hopefully this is the only one.

Thanks for the support Pete, Boat Dr, Eric.

Just want a great running boat this summer.

Ben Franklin
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2008 at 11:39pm
you need a da-106, they gave you the 13.250, does the one they sent you say china or is it a Sachs?

you know something give me a call i have the right one, it is a sachs and its cheaper,

eric
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2008 at 12:03am
Eric - Thanks will call tomorrow.

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2008 at 9:08am
Chris, Sounds like the PO was in a rush to get rid of the boat. Going through all the work of pulling the bell housing and then putting the old plate back in! Be aware that the damper plates somtimes need the OD's trimmed. They are "universal" and the reason for the 7 different bolt hole patterns. All depends on the size of the flywheel for the OD. For trimming, I will carefully layout with layout dye and a scribe the new OD. Band saw and carefully finish on the belt sander to the scribed line. Then there is so little mass difference at the OD that you will not need to worry about balance. I know Eric does it the same way so it's OK!!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2008 at 10:57am
Pete - Thanks for this advice. I am going to call them anyway. They should have at least warned me that 'modifications are required'.

The PO had ground down the internal ribs in the bell housing (but still interferes) - this is how I know he had same exact problem.

The R&R is not as much work as I thought it would be - I am working on the shaft anyway.

Finding the failed lock washers on the trans mounting screws (Hydrogen Embrittled) made the enire project valuable, as those would have lead to catastrophic failure.

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2008 at 11:42am
Pete, being under a microscope i didnt want to post that lol
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2008 at 9:12pm
Eric - How much clearance (i.e. spacer thickness) should I give the springs-to-flywheel gap?

Thank for talking to me today.

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2008 at 11:33pm
you have to keep them from rubbing on the FW, I hate writing this but you are going to have to space this away from the flywheel, and cut the OD
future note, PCM transmissions are the only transmissions in the world to use a 15 spline input shaft and a proprietary plate to match (i already have the reverse engineers working on it) the new plate which is the only one available because of the 15 splines is a 13.250 od and the springs will rub the flywheel and most who have bought the plate were told to pull it down flush to the flywheel, well if you do the springs will hit the face and lose thier purpose in life, so it is crucial to space the damper out with hardened steel spacers of the same thickness to space it out and not allow the springs to rub.
i thought by seeing the triangle damper plate at the beginning of the thread that he had a BW in the boat and it turned out that he had a PCM.
91nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 91nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2008 at 11:40pm

SNobsessed

Im not sure if this applies in your situation,but the damper supplied to me from DIM (part no 1518) didn't fit the flywheel on two PCM351w motors that I have.

The rivets that hold the inner hub onto the outer hub are located further out on the replacment damper and sit on the face of the flywheel.

If your using the same damper and a windsor check this clearance before you bolt it up.

PCM's response when contacted about the problem......

We talked to PCM about the damper plates for you yesterday and they said to just mount it and tighten the bolts. And, the plate would flex to the proper position. Not to worry!

What they were suggesting I do was force the plate against the rivets (that would have locked the the plate up onto the flywheel) and pushed the inner hub 50 thou (the thickness of the rivet heads) back towards the g-box and flex the outer hub down with the bolts......

1. Im not sure how much clearance there is between the damper and the front of the g-box.

2. It would possibly bind the plate up on the g-box spline.

3.''Bending" the outer hub down 50 thou agains't the inner hub didn't seem like a good idea to me.

No thank you PCM I won't be doing that....

I had to machine out the inner section of the flywheel to clear the rivet's.

Eric may not be aware of the problem if he is sourcing his dampers from another supplier?

And Eric-- again, many thanks for the time you spent on the phone and emails with me last year advising me on my trans rebuid-much appreciated.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2008 at 12:44am
my only source for that damper is thru pcm, its the only one to date i know of being manufactured, i sent one to my main transmission supplier for parts to reverse engineer and possibly to start producing them, of course they have to have a heavy request to produce them,and to make it profitable. I think PCM will have the market on this one.
As with the Borg Warner 26 spline input shaft the need is there because of the fact that about 10 other types of marine transmissions use the 26 spline and the need for 26 spline damper plate is 10 fold.
i still am having a hard time swallowing the fact that someone told you guys to stress the damper plate and pull it into the FW, I guess there are 2 options, cut a recess in the flywheel or space the damper out, with spacing though you have to be careful of the stack up and that you dont stress it towards the FW
91   no problem, your welcome
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2008 at 1:48am
I'm going to use Grade 8 flat washers - It will have about .06" of clearance (rivets to flywheel). I was wondering if the plate oil-cans during use - that was the reason for my question. Hope it doesn't rattle during hole shot!

Thanks guys - I would not have known what to do without your advice. You'd think they would have included some instructions with this.

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2008 at 11:19am
you will be allright sno. alot of plates are manufactured with spacers tacked right onto the plate, that is the only option besides pulling the flywheel to have it machined
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2008 at 3:34pm
Eric - I was able to get the splined hub centered to within .0025 in (.005 TIR) measured at the OD of the hub. That's as close as we could get it with our tap & check method. Took about 10 tries. Close enough?

BTW - For the benefit of anyone else doing this repair - If I was to do this again I would drill an access hole in the bell housing to tighten up the damper screws after transmission is on. That would have been much quicker (including the drilling) & more accurate.

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2008 at 11:24am
i would say close enough, many to this day will put the damper on and the weight of it and using non shoulderd bolts will bolt and go and it does sideload the input bearing allowing it to walk...as you said if need be put a nice inspection hole in the bellhousing and go to the hardware and dind a nice rubber grommet to cover the hole. glad you took the time to do it the correct way
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2008 at 1:12pm
Eric - Funny, just finished re-aligning it using an access hole.

Living up to my site handle, I just couldn't stand not having it dead nuts.

See the photo. Not bad center for a sqauare & laser level, huh?

BTW, it has .020" runout if you don't try to align at all.

I put about 25 ft lb torque on the screws - about right?

Ben Franklin
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2008 at 1:15pm
That's pretty slick...I'm the same way, but my starter is in a great place!
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2008 at 1:21pm
snob, you to have ocd, its a club that Buffalo is in, TR is in, im in,and a few others on the site, i have to spin the bar of soap 20 frickin times before i wash my feet the only word in your vocabulary is perfect. it is the extra time you spend doing what you did that will make the boat last 20 years lol i forgot to mention j-bear with the hair thing too
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2008 at 2:05pm
Nice thinking ahead! And to think that Eric has been doing the final bolt tightening through a tiny opening or the starer hole all these years!!

These even come in a gray color.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2008 at 5:24pm
Pete - There was no thinking ahead. I had completed the transmisson assembly yesterday. I drilled the access hole this AM (with trans still installed), after thinking about that input shaft oscillating .005" for the next 500 hours (I hope I get that, anyway)

I measured my old part for hole location & projected the center off of the rear of the transmission. Love my laser level.

All's well that ends well!

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2008 at 6:24pm
Pete you could really dress up your engines with those rhinestones, they come in chrome as well,
Pete, you know in the bag of tricks that I came up with a damper plate centering tool, if that doesnt work i go at it with my 90 degree gear wrenches, or make one of the other guy's do it, but they dont leave the shop off center.
The company I used to work for use to make me take dial indicator sheets on every job and spin these big cats 20 frickin times by hand, well i solved that problem...you know my answer, the next 20 engines had all the same readings
robdubbleu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robdubbleu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2020 at 11:42pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

I'm going to use Grade 8 flat washers - It will have about .06" of clearance (rivets to flywheel). I was wondering if the plate oil-cans during use - that was the reason for my question. Hope it doesn't rattle during hole shot!

Thanks guys - I would not have known what to do without your advice. You'd think they would have included some instructions with this.

Well Chris, It's been 12 years... How did shimming the damper with the washers work out? Because I need to do the same to mine. Just lifted up the engine and unbolted the stand it's been on, only to find the same clearance issue with the rivets.

Hoping your solution worked with no issues!
1976 Ski Nautique (PCM 351) - Currently under major renovation: floor, carpet, interior, gel coat, engine overhaul - ALMOST DONE!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic