Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Buyer Checklist

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
britdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Buyer Checklist
    Posted: April-05-2008 at 2:33pm
Hi,
I'm new to this forum and generally new to inboards. I current own an 18' I/O and am looking at a '99 Sport Nautique with ~400 hours on the clock.
I'm looking for advice on the things to look for, especially those things which may be common problem areas on these boats.

I've started the following checklist, but am hoping that I can leverage your collective knowledge to make it a lot more complete.

*Spin the propeller by hand.
What should I be looking for here? I'm assuming it should spin smoothly all the way around.

*Pull up carpet, check for damage and repair.

*View drive shaft

*Motor mounts look good and tight?

*Motor oil clean and correct level?

*Trans oil clean and correct level?

*Is the the engine / trans properly aligned?
I read through the great thread on this site about this and this was all new to me, but makes sense. Any tips for visually gauging alignment?

* Are the stringers are all glass on these? Any wood areas of concern on this boat?

Thank you very much for your help!
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2008 at 3:01pm
99 is an all glass or composite boat. No wood. I wouldn't try to pull up carpet.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2008 at 10:37pm
For a 99 you should just do a compression check and a overall inspection of the boat. I know if some guy got in my boat and started wracking on my motor mount bolts and stripped one I would be pissed!!

Alignment is something you take care of when the boat is home.

BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2008 at 10:50pm
If I had been smart enough to ask like you are when I was new to inboards, I'd see if any of the guys here might be in my neighborhood and be willing to go with. What I would see today vs. back then would be a lot different now that I've been around them a bit!

And welcome aboard!
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
ripsaw View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripsaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2008 at 11:59pm
A 99 would eliminate a lot of my worries. No wood stringers to deal with, and hopefully no stress cracks.
NCH2OSKI View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH2OSKI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2008 at 12:02am
I might add a few that would be specific to an inboard. I also own a 99 sport so if you have any specific questions feel free to ask. The sports are great all around boats.

1.Check for steering effort while under way. Should be nice and easy, with maybe some pull to one side.
2.Vibration while driving and turning.
3.Condition of bilge, clean and dry or nasty and oily.

Once you have an Inboard there is no way you will go back to an IO. Feel free to ask lots of questions.

Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2008 at 11:24am
This thread has some very good information.
britdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2008 at 12:19pm
Thank you all for the tips. Glad I don't have to worry about rotted wood stringers in a '99.
I've added a few more points to my checklist. Keep 'em coming if you think of anything.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2008 at 1:06pm
Talk to the owner and get a feel for how he has treated the boat. Anyone can drop it off at the dealer for fresh fluids and a cleaning.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic