NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

another ? about my 69 ski

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
MarineTech View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarineTech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2008 at 10:56pm
In response to an earlier reply, the distributor IS rotational selective. The first thing you must do is determine the rotation of the prop and engine. After that you need to pull the dist. cap and try to rotate the rotor in each direction, the direction in which the rotor moves easily as opposed to no movement, is the rotational direction. The earlier engines all had mechanical advance mechanisms which advance in the direction of rotation. If you turn over the engine and watch the rotor and it does NOT turn the same direction as it advances then there is a possibility that the incorrect distributor has been installed. It must turn in the direction of advance. If the engine turns in the direction it should, as determined by the prop, probably RH, and the distributor does not then an incorrect distributor is installed. If the engine does NOT turn the correct direction, the starter is wrong.....either of the two above problems will cause the symptoms and results you mentioned. If both are correct, your problem is elsewhere. Hope this all helps.
Projects

Luchog wrote:   "Anyway, you're full of s79t"

phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2008 at 11:02pm
Your right marine tech if it was turning the opposit way the weights would retard the timing instead of advance it.

I checked the manual both rotation 318's should have the distributor rotating clockwise when looking down on it.

12756348 is the firing order on the reverse rotation motor.

Soo the wires will be arranged in that order going clock wise around the distributor cap.

EDIT: scratch the idea of the Rotor pointing to cylinder one on the marine distributor it shows the rotor point to the rear of the boat for cyl one. weird it points the same way on a big block car but not as a small block car.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2008 at 12:20am
Originally posted by Chopper Chopper wrote:

I'm with 79 on this one. I't can't have fired (or even kicked) if the starter is turning the engine the wrong way.

You might not think so, but you'd be wrong. Every few rotations it would kick like it was trying to start. Trust me, I fought this issue for an entire afternoon! The previous owner had installed a LH starter on the RH 302 in my Tique.
Chopper View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2008 at 3:27am
Given that there would be no compression as the exhaust valve would be open and any residual fuel still in the bores would be pumped straight out the exhaust port, then the spark before the fuel, I see no way it could fire.

I would still be checking before buying.
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2008 at 8:42am
Welcome aboard Marine Tech!
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2008 at 10:41am
ok since you have all missed the point, and since if the dist spins backwards it doesn't retard the time it just doesn't change the time at all from the base timing, but any way.

Point is verify what's in it. verify that someone hasn't changed things, verify that you have the right starter, verify the rotor spins the way it need's to and that the firing order is right, verify verify verify Don't guess yea it's suppose to be this it's suppose to be that, no kidding Duh but IS IT? If you want to guess and rely on DUMB LUCK then knock your self out because you all ready have strike one on the starter.
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2008 at 11:01am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

You might not think so, but you'd be wrong. Every few rotations it would kick like it was trying to start. Trust me, I fought this issue for an entire afternoon! The previous owner had installed a LH starter on the RH 302 in my Tique.

I have to agree with Tim on this. It is possible to have the timing screwey enough to have the fuel and compression in the right situation for a spark to make it kick, even spinning the wrong way.
I also agree with Chris on verifying.
But wouldn't the prop rotation be the key?

Steve
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

tbarker80 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbarker80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2008 at 11:08am
so, let me make sure i have the firing order correct for this "reverse rotation" 318. Right now it is wired, 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2. I assume this is correct since i haven't changed them since I got the boat, and it was running a couple years ago.
Tim Barker
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2008 at 11:22am
Tim, I'm beginning to think the boat doesn't have a prop on it - have I missed you checking its rotation??

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2008 at 11:42am
The book says 12756348 for RH propeller rotation, unless of course your starter is turning the wrong way for the motor and therefore your rotor is turning the wrong way then it would look like 18436572 if you checked it before changing the starter. Which is why it was not a good check to begin with just one that would make you more likely to mess up something that wasn't the problem. FYI, your rotor when viewed from the top should rotate clockwise whether its standard or reverse rotation, if it rotates counter clockwise when viewed from above then you have the wrong starter for the engine.

If it walks like a duck, looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck I usually don't recommend cutting it open to make sure its a duck cause frankly most people don't know what a duck looks like on the inside.

-Joe.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2008 at 11:42am
Originally posted by tbarker80 tbarker80 wrote:

so, let me make sure i have the firing order correct for this "reverse rotation" 318. Right now it is wired, 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2. I assume this is correct since i haven't changed them since I got the boat, and it was running a couple years ago.

Phat has the same #'s, but going the other way.

Steve
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

tbarker80 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbarker80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2008 at 11:45am
sorry. thought i put that in there. when i try to crank the boat, the prop is spinning in the wrong direction. it's not in gear when I turn it over, but the prop still spins slightly in the wrong direction.
Tim Barker
tbarker80 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbarker80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2008 at 11:51am
ok. the rotor is definitely spinning counter clockwise. that has to be it!!! Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.
Tim Barker
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2008 at 11:54am
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

If it walks like a duck, looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck I usually don't recommend cutting it open to make sure its a duck cause frankly most people don't know what a duck looks like on the inside.

LOL Good one Joe!

- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2008 at 12:09pm
OK, I think I have this all figured out now. LH motor means LH starter and RH motor means RH starter. Unless you have an old SBC like mine, then that all goes out the window. Since my starter is a "hollywood" set up, I have a RH motor and a LH starter. Its never simple.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2008 at 12:10pm

your rotor when viewed from the top should rotate clockwise whether its standard or reverse rotation,

well that is true for the 351W motor but is it true for a 318 Chrysler motor?, because the firing order is the same backwards or forwards, just depends which direction it spins from number 1.

also is it a 1:1 BW tranny on the boat? again assuming stuff, We haven't seen any pictures posted, don't believe any of you have seen the motor first hand other than the one fixing that is.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2008 at 12:11pm
Yes it is the correct info for a 318 marine chrysler.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2008 at 12:13pm
BTW last I checked windsor engines rotated counter clockwise from the top regardless of engine rotation.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2008 at 1:18pm
Well I guess the point was regardless of engine rotation the dist on a 351W spins the same direction for both std and rev rotation motors.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2008 at 1:32pm
Questioning the validity of my information which was correct by asserting information that was off topic and incorrect is not exactly making a point. It's more like taking a problem that was correctly diagnosed a quarter way down the first page and making it extremly complicated for no apparent reason.   

Guy, says I have an orignal engine in a 1969 Nautique 318 chyrsler, changed the starter without checking the old one and now it turns counterclockwise with the new starter and throws gas and air out the carb. No need to ask which transmission, prop, firing order, have him tear into it, etc.

We can doubt or ignore every piece of information given and spend 3 pages talking a about the finer points of reverse rotation chyrsler engines and what could have been done to the boat but why? The damn thing's a duck.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2008 at 1:46pm

hey guys. i've been having a lot of trouble getting this bad boy fired up and i'm wondering if i have the right starter on it. it's a 318 engine, but i'm not sure if it's a reverse rotation or not. the starter i have on it now is a CCW starter, but since it's mounted to the back of the flywheel, that means that the motor would be turning clockwise.

When i turn the motor over, fuel just spits out the top of the carb like nobodies business which makes me believe that the motor is turning the wrong way. funny thing is though that i got the motor to hit for about 3 full revs.

ok this is starting to make no sense to anyone i'm sure. i guess the main question i have is, how do i know which way my motor turns, and should i have a normal starter or a CCW starter. any help will be greatly appreciated.

here's the link to my original post with some pictures. http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9839&PN=3

don't see anything that state orginal motor here.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2008 at 1:48pm

thanks for the reply. the engine is the original, but when i try to crank it with the starter i have now, it turns counter clockwise looking at it from the rear. also, when i try to crank it, although it's not in gear, the prop spins very slowly in the wrong direction. i'm guessing it has to be the wrong starter.

if this is true then that would turn the motor CW which would be correct for a reverse as view from the rear and mounted from the rear.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2008 at 1:52pm

Clearly he stated its the original motor, then he stated it turns counterclockwise as viewed from the rear. He also stated the orignal starter was lost and replaced from a local boat shop. Its a no brainer he has the wrong starter the right info was provided as well as a link to pick one up cheap, thats customer service right there. Sometimes it amazes me when someone comes in and doesn't have time to read the orignal info but then feels the need to take the time to bust balls.

it's clear your comprehension skills need polished, the only time he talks about orginal is about him losing the orginal starter.

SO if you if want to piece together BS to support your case go ahead.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2008 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

the engine is the original, but when i try to crank it with the starter i have now, it turns counter clockwise looking at it from the rear.

if this is true then that would turn the motor CW which would be correct for a reverse as view from the rear and mounted from the rear.

Thats it... .engine is original but with the new starter turns counterclockwise from the rear

The original engine would turn clockwise from the rear as all reverse rotation engines spinning rh props do, as all engines original to a 1969 nautique would have...

Simple issue at that point, he got the right answer the very next post, you felt the need to come in and make it difficult, while insulting the correct information and those who gave it.   

I make my mistakes but I try not to insult others while I am doing it.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2008 at 2:06pm

hey guys. i've been having a lot of trouble getting this bad boy fired up and i'm wondering if i have the right starter on it. it's a 318 engine, but i'm not sure if it's a reverse rotation or not. the starter i have on it now is a CCW starter, but since it's mounted to the back of the flywheel, that means that the motor would be turning clockwise.

When i turn the motor over, fuel just spits out the top of the carb like nobodies business which makes me believe that the motor is turning the wrong way. funny thing is though that i got the motor to hit for about 3 full revs.

ok this is starting to make no sense to anyone i'm sure. i guess the main question i have is, how do i know which way my motor turns, and should i have a normal starter or a CCW starter. any help will be greatly appreciated.

here's the link to my original post with some pictures. http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9839&PN=3

don't see anything that state orginal motor here.

Yes, you are correct!

the engine is the original, but when i try to crank it with the starter i have now, it turns counter clockwise looking at it from the rear. also, when i try to crank it, although it's not in gear, the prop spins very slowly in the wrong direction. i'm guessing it has to be the wrong starter.

Exactly what he just said...

the only time he talks about orginal is about him losing the orginal starter.

WRONG. Who needs the comprehension?

Are we on page 3 yet???

Boat ran awesome on Saturday, one pump to start and didn't touch the throttle after.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2008 at 2:17pm

the engine is the original, but when i try to crank it with the starter i have now, it turns counter clockwise looking at it from the rear.

Thats it... .engine is original but with the new starter turns counterclockwise from the rear

The original engine would turn clockwise from the rear as all reverse rotation engines spinning rh props do, as all engines original to a 1969 nautique would have...

Simple issue at that point, he got the right answer the very next post, you felt the need to come in and make it difficult, while insulting the correct information and those who gave it.   

I make my mistakes but I try not to insult others while I am doing it.

the owner never states it's the orginal motor in the boat, just he doesn't have the orginal starter on the motor and what he bought was a CCW unit. So if you read that as he has the orginal motor and got the wrong starter ok. Besides your the one that jumped in, I was just point to tim not to assume just like your are, verify for sure what you have don't guess, We saw where guessing got you with your cam, not to good a result at GL.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2008 at 2:23pm

the engine is the original

the owner never states it's the orginal motor in the boat

Yes, he sure does.

We saw where guessing got you with your cam, not to good a result at GL.

I have no idea what you are talking about!

Please go back to this thread, your expertise is needed.

Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Why is the power valve that comes with the kit the wrong one?

determinds when the secondaries open and with the lower number's it can take them quit a long time to open up.

Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Isnt the power valve on the primary side?

Originally posted by LaurelLakeSkier LaurelLakeSkier wrote:

Yes Tim you are right. The secondaries are also opened by vacuum but the power valve isn't what opens them.

Why can't you just admit when you are wrong? I'm pulling a page out of your book, calling BS when I see it. It's becoming a full-time job around here. Ice is out it's time to ski so I won't bother with it much more.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2008 at 2:32pm
Other than you quoting him saying the engine is original, which you did, I don't see how I can convince you that he said it.

I jumped in because you called good information BS amongst other things and suggested that he check the firing order to find out something that checking the firing order wouldnt help him with. He did by the way go check the firing order and it didn't help him. He found the firing order to be correct for a standard rotation engine, which he doesn't have. Your info might have been helpful and not wasted his time if you told him what direction the rotor should turn, of course since you have already gotten that wrong in this thread for an engine you used to own I dont know how you would have gotten it right for a reverse rotation marine chyrsler.

Good solution to your inability to admit your wrong, insult comp cams recommendation on my 401 horsepower stroker hope it makes you feel better.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2008 at 2:32pm
I don't know s**t from Shinola when it comes to cams and carbs. But what I do know is that it's been a long winter and I think the cabin fever is coming out in some of the threads.

Wood, gotta love when she fires right up after one pump.

Steve
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2008 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Please go back to this thread, your expertise is needed.

Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Why is the power valve that comes with the kit the wrong one?

determinds when the secondaries open and with the lower number's it can take them quit a long time to open up.

don't you see when I'm trying to get them baited into stuff with miss information to see what they come back with?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic