NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

another ? about my 69 ski

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
Author
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2008 at 2:51pm
Oh FYI you can grap the rotor and rotate it to find out what direction it go because it will move without the engine on and it will tell you exactly what rotation the dist is designed to go.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2008 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

don't you see when I'm trying to get them baited into stuff with miss information to see what they come back with?

Yes, it does appear you are a master at baiting!!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2008 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

don't you see when I'm trying to get them baited into stuff with miss information to see what they come back with?

Yes, it does appear you are a master at baiting!!

Well One day I hope to reach the pinnicle of zen like you old wise one, Master
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2008 at 5:20pm
Good idea 79 the dist. will only advance the way its supposed to go But it still might retard timing when spinning the wrong way on a running engine because the weights are affected by centrifugal force not bias to the rotation but it might take a little more force because of the arrangement of the weights. All of my information came from that 67 chrysler manual link someone threw up eirlier and both motors have the dist. rotation clockwise. Also the 18436572 order is for a standard rotation engine. Id say if a car mechanic tried to work on your boat not knowing that it was reverse rotation they just had the chrysler order memorized and threw the wires on that way. Also the number one plug wire as shown in the manual should be the one pointing toward the back of that boat.

Chryslers probably have a reverse rotation Distributor gear becasue the gear is a seperate piece from the distributor. Really though since both motors have the distributor spinning the same way I dont think you could get it to spin the wrong way because the cam too has to have a different gear because I dont think the gears would mesh together if you has a reverse cam with a Std. dis. gear.

So either way it has the correct distributor. So grab your rotor and turn it to the right if it turns that way its correct then get the right starter that makes it turn clockwise.(the dis. that is.)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2008 at 5:42pm
the dist cannot retard the timing via the mechanical advance no matter which way you spin it, there is a mechanical stop that prevents this, well it is on a GM unit and I would suppect it to be the same on a chyrsler unit also. And I was not making any reference to if the dist is right or wrong for this application only that you can tell which direction the dist is designed to rotate, Also didn't say that if it moves in this direction or that direction that is the direction of rotation, on that you can tell buy doing a simple task and that task is finding which direction it goes in a free state and that the mechanical advance will move buy moving the rotor when the motor is off. Because I'm pretty sure that it goes in the opposite direction it moves while static.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2008 at 6:53pm
Yea I know you didnt say I was just telling tbarker what way the manual said it spins and that I dont think you could make it spin the wrong way because the cam and Dist.(which bassically means when he gets the starter to turn the Dist. clock wise it should be correct. gears wouldent mesh if they were different. I didnt see any kind of mechanical stop that would prevent timing from retarding in my new distributor for the ford when I had it apart but that doesnt matter we should have the right distributor in it anyways haha. Hopefully he can get that mopar running.

Ive never really paid attention If a distributor would retard when spun the wrong direction(other than in theroy) haha It would run like booty in the upper rpm's haha.
MarineTech View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarineTech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2008 at 10:18pm
A distributor cam is designed so that the leading edge of the rotor is approaching or at the proper contact in the distributor cap at exactly the time that the ignition points break, in the case of contact point ignition. In any case, the rotor is phased in such a way that it is advanced of the cam. If rotated in the incorrect direction the engine will pop but never start because the contacts are breaking long before the rotor can reach a terminal in the cap. The same applies to electronic ignitions. Just a note from distributor 101 which I taught in advanced ignition systems classes. Of course if I wasn't older than dirt I wouldn't have been raised on points equipped distributors which has scads more problems than later ignitions. Forgot to mention, it always moves in a static situation in the direction of rotation, hence the word advance.....not that any of this means a hill of beans if the starter's wrong of course.
Projects

Luchog wrote:   "Anyway, you're full of s79t"

BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2008 at 10:31pm
Tech, I can tell already that you'll be fun to have around!   

I'd be happy for you to critique my bowtie. I carried a few basics into that, but it's really a CCFan original.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2008 at 11:30pm
its the great pumpkin Charlie brown...
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2008 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by MarineTech MarineTech wrote:

Forgot to mention, it always moves in a static situation in the direction of rotation, hence the word advance....

wasn't sure without looking at one to make sure. But it's a good test if you are on a new motor that you know nothing about and question the direction, to get the firing order correct relative to the dist design.

has for the mechanical stops usually there is a slotted window that the base of the posts for the spring attachment points, two are on a plate under the mounting for the other two post. I believe that the post the weight seats on and pivots about is the one that has the slot around it on the mounting plate.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2008 at 12:41am
Holy crap...3 pages and I still have no idea what you guys are talking about.

More Beam please.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
  Share Topic