NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

red kneck engine hoist

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2008 at 11:21am
Maybe the puzzle box should've been for the lift keys?!!?
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2008 at 12:52pm
while i was gone yesterday the IRS swung in apparently they dont take 100's.....more good news
"the things you own will start to own you"
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2008 at 1:09pm
I dont' know, but I'm thinking I've still got you guys beat in the redneck engineering department with this strap between two pines posted a few years back under a very similar thread. Our lift of choice is now the fork lift when available, or otherwise the classic engine hoist. But how boring.

ReidP
1973 Mustang

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2008 at 1:27pm
I dont know Reid you definitely lose points with that electric chain hoist rig. My goofy ass friends have had a lot of fun with a rig like that, until someones belt loop breaks when they are 7 feet or so above the ground, after that they usually calm down.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2008 at 2:21pm
thats your wifes red neck dryer!!!
"the things you own will start to own you"
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2008 at 5:18pm
.... and it's a good thing she's never on this site. And she's perfectly content with that lone orange and white CC we have also.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2008 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by bkhallpass bkhallpass wrote:

Here are my top 10 commonly asked questions for this site. What are yours?

5. Does ReidP really own all those boats, and if so, does his wife know?

BKH

Answers: Yes, No.

One question down, 71 to go.
ripsaw View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripsaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2008 at 10:39pm
alright somewhere out there has to be one that utilizes true redneck tools. Bungee cords and duct tape. So far I would have to say reidp's takes the cake.
86 2001
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2008 at 10:40am
The Aussie redneck lift. Tamworth is the country music capital of Aus so I guess I qualify.

It did the job was able to get the boat of the old rusty trailer.

The trailer is toast has serious cancer. Next project is to make the new improved version of the CC Type 3 trailer.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2009 at 3:01pm
Ill bring this thread back from the dead since I have a few pics that seem to qualify. Probably not quite as good as Reid's set up, but using the swing set that dad built 20 years ago might still be considered redneck. This was all the way down in the back yard, so putting the engine cradle on the little boat trailer to make it portable worked well.

kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2009 at 3:43pm
I think my method is also a redneck style...but more sophisticated...

this is the crane used to download the boats...
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2009 at 9:59pm
I knew those jetski trailer were good for something. BKH
Livin' the Dream

The Godfather View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Godfather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2009 at 10:44pm
I just wonder how you guy's left the boat off the trailer ??
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2009 at 10:56pm
   I knew Tim was a redneck long before he built the world's fastest JetSki trailer. Nice work Tim ! You gonna finish that wood or leave it natural?

Mike
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
Clew In View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clew In Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2009 at 10:58pm
Hey,

All I can say is be careful around things that can fall.
Farmer, I would say you have that thing braced north and south; however, it looks like a light east or west breeze could sent it to the ground.

Stay safe and never compromise when something could fail and someone could get hurt.

Clew In
Clew In
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2009 at 2:46am
You guys pulling your engines outside in the hot sun with the possible exception of Reid, who looks to be in the shade, are rednecks Here's how you do it in the shade-

This is one of my Dads Shamrocks.If we ever had to pull a engine in one,we were going to do it at his house in Florida.We had planned to leave it in his canal and pull it with a davit. Well best laid plans,rear seal started leaking and the oil pan looked to be about rusted thru,so we had to do it here.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2009 at 1:10pm
Ha, thanks Mike! As far as woodworking goes, Im much more of a rough framer than a finish work type of guy... so I think the natural finish is beautiful!

Before anyone accuses me of being a jetski owner, I should clarify that the small trailer is for our 12' aluminum boat.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Godfather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2009 at 11:14pm
Tim, which boat are you bringing to GL.
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2009 at 12:41am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Before anyone accuses me of being a jetski owner, I should clarify that the small trailer is for our 12' aluminum boat.

It looks fast none-the-less. I'd get some flames on it soon.   

Mike    
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2009 at 12:48am
I don;t know if I dare do a V8 with this one, but it worked well with the 6.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2009 at 12:34pm
Bruce, that 2-by is through-bolted to the tree, right? A V8 shouldnt be a problem!

Mike, youre right- flames are coming right up.

Dave, the hope is to bring that yellow POS (its actually red underneath) to GL with me... if its not done in time, then the Inca Gold Skier will likely make the trip again.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2009 at 12:41pm
8" lag bolts, Tim. The tree on the right holds well. The tree on the left is a little punky, but they tighten up pretty well.

How do you deal with an engine that does not have lifting rings?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2009 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

8" lag bolts, Tim. The tree on the right holds well. The tree on the left is a little punky, but they tighten up pretty well.

How do you deal with an engine that does not have lifting rings?

Ha, not a bad set up.

If you have no rings, I would put a good bolt on the end of the heads (diagonal) and lift from those. I lucked out and found a set of lift rings in my stash-o-parts that I was able to utilize.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Godfather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2009 at 9:22pm
Tim, sounds nice see you there.
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2009 at 11:22pm
Holy smokes Bruce, way to represent! I see you have the mandatory rope to hang the motor.(we don't need no stinkin chain). Nothing redneck about that setup,looks like a typical Maine set up to me. You even have the landmark woodpile in that pic along with an old broken rake leaning against the tree on the right, what appears to be some canoe paddles next to the tree on the left, a 1000ft orange extension cord strung down the road and what is that I see over in the neighbors yard ?? Tell me that isn't a big blue tarp(state of Maine Flag) ! The only thing missing from that pic is the 5 year old kids with no shoes or teeth beating on the motor with those paddles like it's a Pinata....with no adult supervision of course. Nothing wrong with that tree on the left either, if there was someone would have cut the whole thing down

Mike
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2009 at 12:57am
LOL. Dang Mike, you're observant.
Furno View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Furno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2009 at 1:37am
No comment about the bird house on top of the left tree?
Andy

'83 2001
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2009 at 12:34am
We tested our engine hoist with a V8 this past weeked and it held up. We added some extra support and it came out pretty slick. Maybe we'll try a big block next.

farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2009 at 9:47pm

Bruce,nice. What boat is that?   Gary
Watch your fingers.

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2009 at 2:21am
Gary, it's a 1960 Atom that is beyond our abilty to restore.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic