NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

which speakers?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
82ski2001 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82ski2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: which speakers?
    Posted: April-10-2008 at 12:32am
i am looking to do a nice stereo in my boat, what are u guys using, dont really want any subs or anything like that. just some nice speakers inside the boat, what size and where are u installing them? thanks for the help
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2008 at 1:22am
John,

Didn't you say on another post that you had speaker cans for your tower?

In a closed bow like yours, I think most people go with 4 X 6.5" rounds. Usually mounted in the combing pad,2 forward, and 2 aft. I'm not a stereo guru. I think my boat has polks in the boat, and MB Quartz on the tower. BKH
Livin' the Dream

82ski2001 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82ski2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2008 at 11:31am
yea i have cans, but just wanted to add a few to the inside also. thanks bk
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2008 at 4:01am

If you want to have a nice stereo in your boat, IMO, you really need to have some type of sub woofer on board.
Subs are not just needed for listening to rap music. A 6.5" speaker will just not produce the low end of the frequency range. If you don't have a sub for the low end your missing a lot of your music.

I put the Polk db650 in my boat last year and I'm really happy with them. For the $$ (I got them for $50 a pair) they sound great. I just finished replacing my powered sub with a 10" Polk MOMO Sub and added a 5 channel amp to power the sub and speakers. Sounds really good now!

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2008 at 9:30am
Randy, where have you been?
"the things you own will start to own you"
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2008 at 12:35pm
Call me old school, but I roll a couple pairs of 6x9s with a small amp and am very happy.
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2008 at 2:18pm
Call me REALLY old school, as I prefer to roll with just (2) 3" round units, with a 300-400hp amp. And my portable ghetto blaster.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2008 at 3:59am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

Randy, where have you been?

I've been really busy with work. I've been back and forth to Boston the last couple weeks,
working long days and when I'm back in Canton I'm trying to catch up with everything I didn't get done while I was gone. I stop by here almost everyday but just not long enough to get many posts in.

I know, I really should participate more...

Eric, I need to talk to you about those manifold gaskets, I may try to give you a call tomorrow, are you going to be in the shop?

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2008 at 11:13am
Reid your old school, I roll with an 8-track and a single speaker hooked in.

Randy I'll be there or try my cell 3303228817,
also Ryan is looking for you to,

Randy it sounds like its time to sell the boat, its like having a beautiful woman and not being able to ---- her (love)
"the things you own will start to own you"
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2008 at 10:26pm
Eric, I didn't get a chance to call you Saturday, but I really do need to discuss those manifolds with you. I'll try to give you a call at lunch or after work tomorrow.

I think the kids would be upset if I sold the boat. I still make time to have some fun, especially come summer time. Right now we have to get all of the work caught up so we have time for fun in the summer!

05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2008 at 12:38am
Originally posted by Randy_in_Ohio Randy_in_Ohio wrote:

If you want to have a nice stereo in your boat, IMO, you really need to have some type of sub woofer on board.
Subs are not just needed for listening to rap music.

Agreed .I also have a 10" polk momo sub.The factory sub box leaves little to be desired so I made my own. I got tired of everyone stepping on my seat to get in and out of the boat,so I scrapped the factory box under the bow,relocated sub into homemade box,and will use it this year as a step for people to get in and out.Huge difference in the way the sub sounds,too.

Started out just building a step,then decided to add the sub,then decided to router 3/8 out of backside of MDF and add a 3/8 plexiglass window,one thing led to another...and I ended up adding the Nautique logo(which is actually hand cut out of the mdf)and then some led lighting.Funny how these things just take over your mind!

Mike
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2008 at 1:25am
I think any stereo system without a sub will notice a HUGE improvement in the overall sound with a sub. especially in the open environment that our boats create, you have no roof and no doors, it's wide open.
Mike,
That box is sweet! That is the same sub I have if it is 10"... but it looks like a 12" in the pic. I'll post some pics of my install once I'm done, I have some finishing touches to do this week and I should be done... My box is nowhere near as nice as yours, but I was still pretty proud of it
Your box looks huge.I built mine according to Polk's recommendations (.66cu ft. sealed box.) It may just be the angle of the pics... I figure you would probably go with a larger box in a ported configuration. Anyway, nice job indeed.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2008 at 1:31am
I don't know what happend to 82 in this thread, but if your out there 82 and your interested in a 8" powered Bazooka subwoofer for your setup I have one I would be willing to part with for real cheap.
It is not really a marine unit, but if you had it in a somewhat dry area you would be fine for a couple years and then you could either replace the 8" driver with a marine friendly type or chuck it and get something better.

05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2008 at 10:49pm
   randy,

Thanks for the props on the box.believe it or not,it's actually a 10" woofer and it is in a .66 cu.ft.sealed box.I wanted it big enough for someone to sit on comfortably so I added volume externally and made it larger.The box is very shallow height wise,and long front to back,but it's still a .66 box.plus it has 40 oz marine carpet from CC on it,so that makes it look bigger(I will never do that again.Way too hard to wrap a box with carpet that thick.)It's 3/4 MDF covered in resin...way overkill.The extra space you see to the right and toward the rear of the box is completely sealed off from the sub chamber.It's looks a little too big in the boat,so I may do a smaller one,but it's gonna have to wait till next winter.Post up a pic of yours when done,I'd love to see it.

Mike
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
azeus17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azeus17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2008 at 7:31pm
I put 4 Polk db651's in mine and they not only sound great, but the look great too.

Sorry for the thread jack, but I have a stereo related question. I am getting a lot of engine noise through my speakers. I added some of the "base blocker" type capaciters from Radio Shack and that eliminated most of the noise, but I am still getting some. Do I need to have dedicated power and ground wires for the head unit? Right now I have the constant power coming from the ignition breaker and switch power coming from the ACC breaker, grounded to engine block. What is the best way to wire it to eliminate the noise? I have a amp that I wired with dedicated power and ground to the battery to get power from if need be.

Everything sounds great with the engine off, but we do a fair amount of idling around in the evening and good music only makes it that much better!
Boats:
Current: 02 SANTE
Sold: 89 Sport Nautique
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2008 at 2:57am
Mike, that makes a little more sense now why it looks so big. I kicked around the idea of 2-8" subs mounted further forward, and a single 12"(took up too much room) before finally deciding on the 10" in a simple square box. I used leftover countertop 3/4" MDF and coated it, inside and out with 3 coats of Hurculiner.

I will try to finish this project up this weekend and post some pics.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2008 at 3:48am
Adam,

There are a lot of questions in your post, let me try to break it down.

Sorry for the thread jack, but I have a stereo related question.
>>yes, probably should start a new thread on this.

I put 4 Polk db651's in mine and they not only sound great, but the look great too.
>> I have these speakers also, and love them, like you said they look great and sound great.

I am getting a lot of engine noise through my speakers. I added some of the "base blocker" type capaciters from Radio Shack and that eliminated most of the noise, but I am still getting some.
>>If you have things wired correctly, you should not need the "base blocker" type capaciters from Radio Shack. First thing you should do is check your ground. Also, be sure your using large enough gauge wire for your setup. usually engine noise comes from bad wiring.

Do I need to have dedicated power and ground wires for the head unit?
>>Most head units have two power leads, one that should go to the ignition, or in the case of our boats the circuit breaker switch, and another that goes directly to the battery.

Right now I have the constant power coming from the ignition breaker and switch power coming from the ACC breaker, grounded to engine block. What is the best way to wire it to eliminate the noise? I have a amp that I wired with dedicated power and ground to the battery to get power from if need be.
>>I would bet this is the reason you have noise. You need to run the main power (usually the yellow wire) directly to the battery with 10-8AWG wire, the other wire (usually red) should run to the ACC breaker. check the ground and power connections on the amp as well, and make sure you are using big enough wire for the job. you can find charts and guides online covering wire size.

**I can not stress enough the importance of good connections and good quality wire, connectors, ect. it's best to make the investment in good quality wire etc. than to put up with all the headaches that will result in cheaping out and taking shortcuts. You must remember that the wiring in a boat will take a lot more abuse than that in your car. I solder all of my connections and use shrink tube to seal out moisture.
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2008 at 3:15pm

Adam,

I am getting a lot of engine noise through my speakers. I added some of the "base blocker" type capaciters from Radio Shack and that eliminated most of the noise, but I am still getting some.
>>If you have things wired correctly, you should not need the "base blocker" type capaciters from Radio Shack. First thing you should do is check your ground. Also, be sure your using large enough gauge wire for your setup. usually engine noise comes from bad wiring.

Quick Note:

"Bass Blockers" do not do anything for engine noise. They are intended to cutoff the lower frequency to smaller speakers so you can let your sub do the work.

If you are still squealing after you run the ground, post again and I will give you a schematic to get the squeal out. If you run dedicated grounds to everything and then to the engine you should not have a problem.

Tim

GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2008 at 8:12pm

Your box looks huge.

new sig for Hollywood
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2008 at 8:32pm
Too much in there for a sig!

I think any HUGE wide open box is sweet! it is 10"... but it looks like a 12". I'll post some pics of my finishing touches this week. My box is nowhere near as nice as yours, but still pretty proud of it
Your box looks huge. It may just be the angle of the pics... I figure you would probably go with a larger box.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2008 at 4:28pm
BWAAAHAAAHAA!
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
azeus17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azeus17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2008 at 6:11pm

I think any HUGE wide open box is sweet! it is 10"... but it looks like a 12". I'll post some pics of my finishing touches this week. My box is nowhere near as nice as yours, but still pretty proud of it
Your box looks huge. It may just be the angle of the pics... I figure you would probably go with a larger box.

HAHAHAHA! Holy Crap! When I read this stuff if makes the whole day better!

Tim-
Thanks for the offer. When I get the grounds run, I will let you know if it is still squelling.

Adam
Boats:
Current: 02 SANTE
Sold: 89 Sport Nautique
k9spd403 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k9spd403 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2009 at 9:28pm
he said "box"
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2009 at 12:32am
those polks are really nice...I have old pionneer marine with a powered sub..not to fancy. but was wondering if I could made some upgrades, the speaker are mounted in the comb pads wich are open and wonder if making some kind of box or like can improve the sound?
the money right now is going to the engine stringer...
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2009 at 1:05am
4 6,5'' in the sides, with a can behind.
A subwoofer under the bow or behind the drivers seat. Polk momo and rockfords are really nice.

Now if you really want to rock it go with some tower system like the wetsounds or the NVS.

By the way, I have a portable cassette/radio player in mine.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2009 at 1:16am
I was considering making an enclosure behind each speaker out of 6" pvc pipe?
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
mryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2009 at 8:43pm
I have a 2000 super air Nautique and I want to replaced my factory speakers, and an amp. Before I ordered speakers I wanted to make sure they are 6.5 and the Speakers I'm thinking about ordering are the Polk DB651. I just want to make sure they are going to fit.
Any info would be great.
Thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic