Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Am I ruining my boat?

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
ajsmith200 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajsmith200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Am I ruining my boat?
    Posted: April-11-2008 at 2:34am
Ive got a 20th anniv. 81 Ski Nautique in excellent condition. All I do is wakeboard and im thinking of adding a tower... I feel like ive got a classic boat and adding a tower will ruin it. Right now im torn between three options. 1. No tower 2. Big air pylons(not sure of the quality) 3. Monster tower (not sure of the looks) Ive attached a picture of what my boat would look like w/ the big air pylon tower. Let me know your opinion.. If anyone has one of the big air pylons id like to know how you like it
81 Ski Nautique
Captleisure View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2008 at 2:54am
Try changing your photo format to *GIF* I tried uploading jpegs for two hours the other day, I never could get it to work
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2008 at 3:30am
To make my photos work I use photobucket. Then you just add the link.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2008 at 3:39am
Photobucket is so easy even I can do it.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2008 at 4:45am
Adding a tower to an anniversary edition (not model) Ski Nautique would be indeed "ruining" it. Please consider a different boat or go with the extended pylon.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2008 at 7:37am
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Adding a tower to an anniversary edition (not model) Ski Nautique would be indeed "ruining" it. Please consider a different boat or go with the extended pylon.

I'll second this!
Tony, I'm glad you didn't mention the "T" word! If you haven't read some of the other recent threads that explains this, we'll fill you in.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2008 at 10:48am
We have a extended pylon - works great.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2008 at 10:52am
The extended pylon works very well and doesn't change the boat one bit.

Also, If jbear and I can figure out Photobucket, anybody can.

Steve
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2008 at 11:54am
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

I'll third this, and emphasize the please! I love the 80-81 boats, and the anniversary edition makes it even more special.
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2008 at 11:59am
Now that his pic is up, I think I see the old ring and finger...
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2008 at 12:00pm
I would have to see some more pictures to see for sure but it doesn't look like it is a "Anniversary Edition" just a 81 SN and if it doesn't have the limit edition trim package then it realy doen't matter. But if it is like Allens and the real deal then by all means SKYLON or nothing.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2008 at 12:12pm
Is that really a picture of your boat with a tower photoshopped on? If so, nice work. Also, seeing as it's just an anniversary model year go ahead, but you wouldn't want to do that to these boats.

GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2008 at 12:19pm
No Tuna Tower, that boat is sa -weet!

Please give the pylon a try. It works for many riders.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2008 at 12:23pm
Where do we start, I wouldnt do it on that boat, not because its a 20th aniversary year boat but because its a nice boat and not necessarily one that would be sought out buy another wakeboarder. Monster towers are well built, functional, and a good deal but they look like a monster on top of an older correct craft. The other tower you show is better looking but again being an off brand universal tower its not a plus in the mind of future buyers.
      I am putting a tower on my 83 2001 and some would feel I am ruining that boat as well, I justify it to myself based on the fact that the 2001 series of boats have at this point a fairly devoted wakeboard following and do serve admirably as wakeboard boats, a future buyer is more likely than not going to be a boarder. Even with those justifications I wouldnt buy anything less than a new dimensions tower or an actual correctcraft fct. Buying a cheaper tower not only rules out buyers that dont like towers in general, it also rules out buyers looking for a tower that are discriminating.
     Now on the earlier, narrower hull boat I dont think your going to be happy with it long term as a wakeboard boat tower or not. So why spend the extra money and make it a boat only a broke wakeboarder would love (one with money would buy a 2001 series at a minimum so you would have to price way lower).
An extended pylon would be a good idea as an intermediate step either way. The pull is the same basicallly, the only benefit to the tower is the storage/speaker mounting area it provides. Just don't cut off the ring and finger to slide it on, buy a tachyon motorsports mount, or find a used flightpipe that clamps on. A little birdie tells me there will be one listed this weekend for sale on CCfan.. .

1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2008 at 12:42pm
Had an 80'SN and ended up putting a 6' Flight Pipe on it which worked very well. One issue you will have is what Joe mentioned, a narrow hull, either a tower or a pylon will allow the rider to really rock the boat with a hard cut from the outside. Have since owned 2 CC's with towers and again as Joe mentioned the biggest advantage of the tower is storage/bimini mount/speaker mount, the functionality between the 2 other than that is really pretty equal.

Boat looks great BTW, Good Luck!
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2008 at 3:57pm
I dont think it is an aniversary boat, it looks like its just an 81, it has a black windsheild, low back seats, and a black dash, thats why I think its just an 81, so go for it!
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2008 at 4:28pm
good point Mark I forgot about those clues as being a dead give away as a standard 81
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2008 at 4:55pm
Here's mine, Skylon and Skyrack.
78nautique78 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 78nautique78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2008 at 6:08pm
I feel it's hard to put a tower from 2008 on a boat from 81 unless you find some kind of retro styled tower that would match the boats asthetics. I've seen them and they just to me don't look like they fit the style of the boat. "just my two sense" Mike. I do like the picture above with the extended pylon.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2008 at 6:36pm
Okay, I'll chime in with another " DON'T DO IT! ". I also have a Skylon on my 88' and it works great. Most inboards, wine, and Jbear have one thing in common...............

They get better with age!

Keep it original..
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2008 at 6:44pm
Luchog
Nice looking ride. I'm trying to find racks for my Fly High to increase the storage.
BTW, can't you find somewhere else to boat other than a drainage ditch?

Steve
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2008 at 6:51pm
Originally posted by tullfooter tullfooter wrote:

BTW, can't you find somewhere else to boat other than a drainage ditch?

I almost thought it was that St. John's river in Florida, then remembered he was in South America.
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2008 at 6:51pm
Tullfooter that's not a drainage ditch!!!!

Water on the Parana River is like this...brown, it has a lot of mud but believe me you can even drink it and live without any short or long term harm!! hahaha
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2008 at 7:02pm
Parana River?
I would guess you don't dangle your feet over the edge, for fear you might loose a few toes.

Steve
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2008 at 7:14pm
We dont have Piranhas, there's a similar fish called Palometa, wich is bigger than a Pirahna but not as aggresive, indeed it can eat your fingers, but you're most likely to die in a car accident.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2008 at 1:09am
Originally posted by MaddMarxx MaddMarxx wrote:

I dont think it is an aniversary boat, it looks like its just an 81, it has a black windsheild, low back seats, and a black dash, thats why I think its just an 81, so go for it!

Youre absolutely right- the boat pictured above is no anniversary boat... but is that really his boat? He just said thats "what his boat would look like with a tower". My impression was that it was another boat, not his own. Could be a good photoshop though, I suppose.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2008 at 1:35am
Boat is way to nice...recheck JoeinNY's well written post for all the right reasons.

Now tull...I been putting on a few more pictures than you so get busy. It is easy if I can do it!

Morfoot: Seen your post some where else about a visit...got the Beer cold already!

Luciano: Nice lookin' boat...not so nice lookin' water. I might have to have alot of liquor in that water to drink it. Is that the dock at your restaurant?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2008 at 2:08pm
Thats what I thought too tim that he just found a picture of another boat with a tower on it. Ill also say NEVER drill holes for a goofy tower on a classic nautique. I have a Fly high BI that came with my dads mastercrap free thats what I run. I think it looks better with it off but it helps alot when doing anything other than slalom becasue people can sit in the back and not get their heads chopped off by the rope.

As others have said though with a hard cut the boat rocks pretty bad because its so narrow.
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2008 at 10:08pm
it rocks less with added weight.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2008 at 11:23pm
Mine rocks more with added beer.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic