NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Couplings Don’t Get Along Anymore

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Couplings Don’t Get Along Anymore
    Posted: April-12-2008 at 7:18pm
Gang, here is the latest installment of my strut bushing replacement nightmare. I have come VERY far and have overcome many hurdles in along the way. The new bushings are in, the OJ dripless seal is on the shaft, the coupling is back on the single-taper shaft after sitting on the barbie for a while. My one engine mount is now freed up and spinning nicely.

Now, I have the couplings roughly in alignment (I've checked with a stack of feeler gauges around the gap- it's basically even all around). However, amazingly, the halves won't come together anymore. The inner lip of the shaft-side coupling will not go into the corresponding seat in the trans-side, no matter what. I can't find any obvious reason for this- nothing obstructing either side, no gross misalignment that I can spot- they just won't come together. I'm cold (it's 41 in the garage), all of my knuckles are busted, I've put about 20 hours into this project and I'm FURIOUS. What could this interference be?

2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2008 at 7:25pm
Joel, Hopefully this won't sound too stupid but do you have the shaft coupling on too far? Are there any dings from say a pry bar from trying to get it apart? Since you do have it aligned, have you tried pulling it together with the bolts?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2008 at 8:00pm
I just tried pulling it together with the bolts, without over-doing it at all, just getting them snug, and there is absolutely no chance of them going together. The shaft coupling is on the shaft exactly where it was- the shaft end is flush with the inside of the coupling. There is NO obvious interference whatsoever. It's behaving exactly as if the shaft-side diameter of the coupling shoulder/lip has actually increased in diameter. I'm STUMPED.
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2008 at 8:03pm
Something tells me that this project probably just got a lot more expensive (new shaft and coupler???). What is the tolerance between that lip on the shaft-side and the corresponding seat on the trans side? Maybe I warped the coupler so it's an oval by .0000001" or something? Again, nothing is jumping out at me as being obvious. This sucks.
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2008 at 8:16pm
M3 - I'm sure the experts will chime in soon, but I'm beating themto this punch. If it was me, I would mic (micrometer) the male pilot to see if you have egged it on the barbie. If it is still round, maybe you could try some light sanding with emory cloth on both the ID & OD of the pilots. Don't get carried away though.

I currently have the shaft out of my boat so thanks for alerting me to this problem. I will definitely trial the couplers fitup before heat-shrinking the coupler onto the shaft.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2008 at 8:25pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

M3 - I'm sure the experts will chime in soon, but I'm beating themto this punch. If it was me, I would mic (micrometer) the male pilot to see if you have egged it on the barbie. If it is still round, maybe you could try some light sanding with emory cloth on both the ID & OD of the pilots. Don't get carried away though.

I currently have the shaft out of my boat so thanks for alerting me to this problem. I will definitely trial the couplers fitup before heat-shrinking the coupler onto the shaft.

My pleasure! Maybe I will hit that lip/pilot with some emory cloth. What have I go to lose? It could be that my tapping of the coupling back onto the shaft dinged the male side a little bit, but I can't tell if that's the case. I just find it amazing that the coupling "grew" somehow. Just when I think I'm pretty handy with an inboard, I get a head-scratcher like this to put me back in my place.
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2008 at 8:39pm
Joel, Put some paint or even some "white-out" on the lip. (Ideally layout blue but the paint or white out will work) Pull it together and then apart to see if the lip is actually interfering. If it does turn out that it is hitting, I wouldn't go after it with abrasive paper but rather a flat single cut (fine) file. Keep the flat of the file on the face of the coupling but when filing the pressure against the lip. It will just keep things square. This will also hit any high spots on the coupling face. You will see any high spots with the filing.

By the way, any burn spots in the carpet? It looks like you didn't have any problems with heating up the coupling and getting it on the shaft!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2008 at 8:49pm
m3, if you tapped the pilot ring with a hammer it is more likely that you may have mushroomed it a bit, they are not a snug fit at all if perfectly clean, its about a .001 difference, new ones will spin inside eachother with some resistance. try cleaning the pilot ring and when pulled together do your final alignment
"the things you own will start to own you"
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2008 at 8:51pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Joel, Put some paint or even some "white-out" on the lip. (Ideally layout blue but the paint or white out will work) Pull it together and then apart to see if the lip is actually interfering. If it does turn out that it is hitting, I wouldn't go after it with abrasive paper but rather a flat single cut (fine) file. Keep the flat of the file on the face of the coupling but when filing the pressure against the lip. It will just keep things square. This will also hit any high spots on the coupling face. You will see any high spots with the filing.

By the way, any burn spots in the carpet? It looks like you didn't have any problems with heating up the coupling and getting it on the shaft!

Pete, I love that idea and I'm going to try it right now. I'm also going to hit it with a caliper to see if it is in fact "egged". The shaft key gave me a little trouble when I was getting the 400-degree coupling onto the shaft but other than that it was fine. First time I've used an oven mitt on a boat project!
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2008 at 9:32pm
Update- IT'S IN. I took a flat file to the side of the male pilot and held it in place while I rotated the shaft end. Probably took off a thousandth or two all around and they slid right together. I probably mushroomed the pilot a bit as Eric mentioned- if I can't get it aligned, I'll know that I warped the coupling. More later.
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2008 at 12:06am

I love it when a plan (or coupler) comes together.
Pete,you are too quick for me with your responses.I was going to sugggest some dykem to show the high spots but you beat me to it.

Farmer

By the way,what time zone is this forum in anyway ?
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2008 at 1:24am
Joel- Glad you got things back together.

Gary- Eastern Standard Time. You can adjust your timezone offset from server time in your profile. If you are seeing something odd, recommend you check your profile.
-Brad
farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2008 at 1:44am

Brad,sorry but I don't see it in my profile.What am I missing? Gary
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2008 at 10:56am
Gary, You need to click on the "profile" next to your logout icon at the top of the page. That will take you to the page where you can change all the data and settings in your profile.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2008 at 12:18pm
alignment time!!!
aignment probably is the worst thing mechanically that needs to be done on a boat, on Thursday it took the better part of the day to align a Bravo drive on a Formula, but it had to be done, the 2 engines are exactly 5" apart and almost impossible to get to the mount nuts. i will use a 1 1/16 crows foot which will work well. i could of slammed this drive back on with out aligning but...practice what you preach, i aligned it
farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2008 at 9:32pm

Pete,thanks,I've got it now. Gary
Watch your fingers.

Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2008 at 10:20pm
Is it a good idea to add some sort of grease between the couplings to avoid them getting fixed together???
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2008 at 11:12pm
maybe a touch of Never Sieze, how was your alignment?
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2008 at 1:40am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

maybe a touch of Never Sieze, how was your alignment?

Good. The smallest feeler gauge was .002 so I got it that far for sure! Coupling faces were certainly not warped. Can't wait to get this baby in the water.
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2008 at 7:43am
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

Good. The smallest feeler gauge was .002 so I got it that far for sure! Coupling faces were certainly not warped. Can't wait to get this baby in the water.

Joel, I still can't get over all the problems you went through just so you don't have a dripping shaft! Next time will be easy. You always learn on DIY projects.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2008 at 10:00am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

Joel, I still can't get over all the problems you went through just so you don't have a dripping shaft! Next time will be easy. You always learn on DIY projects.

Pete, the primary goal was replacing the strut bushings with high-performance Vesconite bearings from OJ Props. The dripless seal was just icing on the cake!
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic