Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How do I...

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
almabes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote almabes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How do I...
    Posted: April-24-2008 at 6:44pm
Sorry if this has already been covered, but having never waterskied in my life I don't know.

What is the correct way to attach a ski rope to the pylon in my Martinique? Is there any special knot or something I should tie for saftey's sake?

Thanks in advance,

Anthony
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2008 at 7:32pm
Through the loop, back over the top of the loop and through the loop again and attach to the little post.
Tim D
KennyA View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KennyA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2008 at 1:50am
Just out of curiosity. What is the design philosophy behind the ski pylon? Anybody know the history?
Kenny <>{
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2008 at 11:36am
Don't know the whole story, and I am sure someone can provide a more complete story than I (Brian??) but I think the basic idea was to put the pull ahead of the center of gravity of the boat so there would be no side to side pull of the boat.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2008 at 7:24am
I agree with Larry. The use of pylons may have started at Cypress Gardens. With multiple skiers behind the boats of the day, the center pull allowed the tow boat to make the turns. A rear pull holds the stern in place making turning difficult.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2008 at 1:13pm
I don't know this one Larry. Also, were talking about two things here. Someone figured out that center tow point was the way to go before the pylon became the chosen form of the center pull. My Dad's 58 Wood Runabout. had a wishbone bar that attached to floor, and each gunnel and swooped above the motor box to provide a central tow point. Would be interesting to learn how it all came about. BKH
Livin' the Dream

almabes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote almabes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2008 at 1:40pm
After thinking about the question, I came up with this...

Has anyone here ever had to figure out a "weight and balance" for a light aircraft?

Hopefully this makes sense...

The placement of the ski pylon has to do with leverage around the center of gravity. Having the skier's various pulling forces transmitted to the boat slightly forward of the boat's CG actually helps turn the craft, or at least doesn't impede it as much as having the forces aft of the CG. In a turn, the rudder will be pushing the tail to the outside of the turn. The pylon, forward of the CG, rotates opposite of the rudder. Also, because the pylon is close to the CG, relative to the rudder, if the skier goes to the outside of the turn the effect on the amount of effort to overcome the adverse yaw by the rudder is lessened.

Design was probably dictated by necesity. The loop and finger is an easy method of ensuring a secure connection that won't overstress the rope.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2008 at 3:20pm
Almabes, intuitively makes sense.

I knew a guy in the early 80s who completed his Master's thesis in physics around a study of the forces exerted on the pylon. Both he and his wife were national caliber skiers, and he enlisted most of the best skiers of the time including both LaPoint brothers to take measurments and do testing.

I can see his face, but can't even think of the name now. Would be cool to see a copy of that paper. BKH
Livin' the Dream

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2008 at 4:16pm
The width of the wake is also considerably different because the tow point is farther forward and makes it easier to take the two as a single occurance,

Keeping a boat straight in the course is also much easier with the force component the skier provides perpendicular to the boat not haveing a large moment arm in relation to the center of rotation of the boat. There are obvious benefits to keeping the rope out from under the boat when turning to pick up and align skiers as well.

Life is alot easier with a pylon.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2008 at 11:26am
Originally posted by bkhallpass bkhallpass wrote:

My Dad's 58 Wood Runabout. had a wishbone bar that attached to floor, and each gunnel and swooped above the motor box to provide a central tow point. BKH

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2008 at 3:26am
It was similar to that Pete. However, it attached to the chrome air scoops on the side. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic